Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Those Star Wars models are breathtaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Modelling from Life IE the magazine:

A quiet engineer and his wife have built a mind-boggling model of an old-time circus.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wow.. I thought that was pretty neat and then I read the text - it's 1/24 scale which makes that tent 23 FEET long according to the article. :stare:

Wish one of the photo's had something (or someone) in frame for a good size reference.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, amazing work so far.

I've always wanted to have a big train set, if I had the time, space, or money. I always remember when I was a kid in Beavers (lowest rank of scouts), we got to visit the home of a guy who owned a hobby shop at the time. He had a MASSIVE train set in his basement, and I thought it was the most amazing thing. It must've been 800+ square feet of cities and terrain and tracks.
Depending on where you live, there's always the option for a modular setup. You can spend less initially to get a module or two together that you can operate around your home, yet put it together for a large operating run at a meet. The setups are almost always different from meet to meet, so it stays fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ONdupI_UI Here's some video of a Free-mo spec layout in HO scale. Their rules are strict as far as wiring and trackwork so that setup time/hassle is minimal, but very open as far as module shape/ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErYiWhmn8pI Here's another group in HO that has their own specs, but very detailed modules.

There's other stuff available in N scale as well, but you get the general idea. Baron probably knows more about that side than I do.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Locator posted:

Wow.. I thought that was pretty neat and then I read the text - it's 1/24 scale which makes that tent 23 FEET long according to the article. :stare:

Wish one of the photo's had something (or someone) in frame for a good size reference.

I'm looking on the wider internets now. Found an additional tidbit about it:

quote:

1 million hand-carved pieces
20,000 performers and spectators
1000 horses
277 elephants
80 camels
77 tents

It had to be displayed on a 3000 sq.ft table, and used some 700 tiny lights in the displays. Later through the use of electronic animation, Dunn could recreate 140 old circus acts on it.

e: picking through things, it seems Dunn's Circus, and another similarly insane model circus that was inspired by it, are now at least partially on display in the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I'm glad I found this thread! I decided to rediscover an old childhood hobby of mine. I always got to build the model, but never actually paint it. So, for the past few weeks I've been working on my first model in almost a couple decades.

This was my first time brush painting a model, so it's definitely not the smoothest paint job ever, but I'm happy enough with it. You can probably see that I hosed up the left wing. I was trying to do a panel line wash, but I guess I didn't do a good enough job with the acrylic clear coat because the thinner attacked the main paint layer. So I decided to call it a learning experience and be done with it.

I learned a lot so hopefully my next model will look a bit better. :shobon:

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Troll Bridgington posted:

This was my first time brush painting a model, so it's definitely not the smoothest paint job ever, but I'm happy enough with it. You can probably see that I hosed up the left wing. I was trying to do a panel line wash, but I guess I didn't do a good enough job with the acrylic clear coat because the thinner attacked the main paint layer. So I decided to call it a learning experience and be done with it.
By Tamiya weathering powder, make sure to get "smoke". Put it on the damaged bits, and around the engine exhaust. "Carbon scoring". Fixed.

Not that I'd actually have spotted it if you hadn't pointed it out.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Arquinsiel posted:

By Tamiya weathering powder, make sure to get "smoke". Put it on the damaged bits, and around the engine exhaust. "Carbon scoring". Fixed.

Not that I'd actually have spotted it if you hadn't pointed it out.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Troll Bridgington posted:

I'm glad I found this thread! I decided to rediscover an old childhood hobby of mine. I always got to build the model, but never actually paint it. So, for the past few weeks I've been working on my first model in almost a couple decades.

I learned a lot so hopefully my next model will look a bit better. :shobon:

My first models looked considerably worse. Nice job! Tamiya makes a line of spray paints for model aircraft that would work well for builds in this shade in the future. It's their "AS" line. Their spraycans are great, very smooth and even.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Such nice scenery Baronjutter :allears:

In the midst of moving I've finally finished the Spit I got for my self pre-christmas. I think my goal of a model a week this year might be a little optimistic..

I wanted to have a good screw around with quick, cheap, and easy weathering, so I've tried to do it as a functional but well-used plane. That seems appropriate for a small production run intermediate Spitfire - the Spit XIIs were the first of the Griffon powered Spits in service, and only a few hundred were made, equipping only two squadrons. The clipped wings make them a little odd for a Spit, but also kinda nifty.

The kit was an Airfix one as I wanted the cheapest 1:48 Spit in the local shop, and it was actually pretty nice. A couple of spots with poor fit, and no photo-etched parts, but that actually made it more fun to bang together. Also going overboard with weathering didn't seem like such a big deal. Fun! Then the gloss coat I used went all ripply. I really need to stop cutting corners with varnishes...

The decals stick out to much, though. Any tips on trying to blend them in or making them look faded?

(this was just before the matt coat, so shinyness reduced somewhat in the final thing)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sanguine posted:

The decals stick out to much, though. Any tips on trying to blend them in or making them look faded?

(this was just before the matt coat, so shinyness reduced somewhat in the final thing)

I've seen a very dilute spray of grey (like 1 grey 10 thinner) for toning down markings used before. Assuming you have an airbrush.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Sanguine posted:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/Su27/photo_frame.htm

Scroll down to Day 23 and Day 24. He uses a wash followed by a very thin cover coat to blend the decals in and it looks fantastic.

I'd like to see some pictures of your Spitfire after the matte coat.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Thanks gents, I'll give the dilute grey filter thing a shot on the next one (never tried filters before). Also great link SkunkDuster, there's some excellent tips in that build.

Also, happy to show off oblige:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

SkunkDuster posted:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/Su27/photo_frame.htm

Scroll down to Day 23 and Day 24. He uses a wash followed by a very thin cover coat to blend the decals in and it looks fantastic.

I'd like to see some pictures of your Spitfire after the matte coat.

Wow! Just about to post some pics of my very nearly finished SU-27 and you had to post that!

Anyway I think it's coming on okay. Canopy to finish and then a decision to add a very weak oil filter over the whole thing to tone it in a bit or not.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Quick question, if I want to paint a camouflage scheme with hard edges ie. like digital. Is masking tape to mark the edges the only way to do it? I'm using a brush.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can also just be really careful. The Typhoon I painted a while back was done freehand.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally got around to working on models again by painting the Academy 1:72 M3 Half-track, GPA, and motorcycle that I assembled like four years ago

M3 Half-track:

Ford GPA and motorcycle:

The motorcycle is missing a few pieces because they were so fiddly, I accidentally snapped them. And thank god for Micro Sol, because I don't think that decal on the hood of the half-track would have ever fit without it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Just curious, are "boutique" kits as popular for planes and AFV's as they are for cars?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

George Zimmer posted:

Just curious, are "boutique" kits as popular for planes and AFV's as they are for cars?

You mean like short run resin or vacuform? They kind of are but tend to focus on the truly obscure subjects or scales. At least for planes. I think it is more common to get detail sets or decal sheets for mainstream models though.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

You mean like short run resin or vacuform? They kind of are but tend to focus on the truly obscure subjects or scales. At least for planes. I think it is more common to get detail sets or decal sheets for mainstream models though.

Yeah. There's a bunch in the car world, and most aren't even obscure. They can also be insanely expensive. Your average 1/24 scale kit by Model Factory Hiro is $350 :captainpop:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
drat, that is pricy. I've bought a few pieces from Industria Mechanika, who do a lot of sci-fi/steampunk vehicles in resin, that would typically be done in plastic by the big boys, but their stuff doesn't really hit three bills ever.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

George Zimmer posted:

Yeah. There's a bunch in the car world, and most aren't even obscure. They can also be insanely expensive. Your average 1/24 scale kit by Model Factory Hiro is $350 :captainpop:

Planes can pass $350, but at least you get a 1/72 scale C-5 Galaxy out of it.

http://www.anigrand.com/AA9001_C-5B.htm

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Chillyrabbit posted:

Quick question, if I want to paint a camouflage scheme with hard edges ie. like digital. Is masking tape to mark the edges the only way to do it? I'm using a brush.

Silly putty works pretty well for hard edged blob camo. Not sure if you want hard edges like digicam, or specifically want to do digicam.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Chillyrabbit posted:

There is a product called Panzer Putty which is meant to be good but for hard straight lines I've always had good results with Tamiya masking tape.

Here's a couple of examples where I've masked in the past in case it's useful for you.

Red stripes on Colonial Viper MKI:

Edging panels on F-22 Raptor:

Three colour splinter camouflage on SU-27:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

If you're looking to do a digital camo scheme, some companies offer sheets of precut digital pattern masking tape. The only place i know off the top of my head that sells these sheets is HLJ, but if you look, you might find a stateside/european/whereveryouare retailer.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Silly putty works pretty well for hard edged blob camo. Not sure if you want hard edges like digicam, or specifically want to do digicam.

big_g posted:

There is a product called Panzer Putty which is meant to be good but for hard straight lines I've always had good results with Tamiya masking tape.

Here's a couple of examples where I've masked in the past in case it's useful for you.

Red stripes on Colonial Viper MKI:

Edging panels on F-22 Raptor:

Thanks for the suggestions, I only said its like digital-like. I should have posted a picture of what my end result should be.

As can be seen its a blocky rectangular camouflage scheme, but I think I'll just go at it very carefully with tape, and make sure to press down the edges.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I'd recommend some good masking tape, and not pressing overly hard. Otherwise it's quite easy to lift up paint when you remove the tape. Cheap stuff can also leave behind glue, which can then lift paint when you go to remove it. I've gotten good work from the 3M blue and green masking tapes, and Tamiya is awesome as mentioned.

A roll of decent masking tape aint cheap, but it'll last ages (unless the dogs get to it :argh:)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I use 3M green, no complaints here.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

That scheme will be doable with masking tape but will be a pain (What isn't?). I would recommend you have a good think and work out the order you are going to lay the colours down.

Also it will be 100% easier with an airbrush, even a cheap one will do if you are just laying down base coats and will shade and highlight with a brush afterwards. Seriously if you are wanting to get a scheme like that looking decent then get an airbrush and you will save some serious heart ache.

If you are worried about masking tape pulling up paint then take your time and put down a thin layer of gloss varnish and leave for 48 hours inbetween layers to protect the paint.

Also a hard lesson learnt even the best masking tape will gently caress with any decals so be careful.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
One tip I was told with masking was to put down a layer of the base colour first to seal under the edge of the mask, before putting down your next colour. So if you've painted your plane blue and then masked off areas ready to paint some red stripes, you should first put a thin layer of blue along the edge of the mask tape. Let that dry, and then do your red.
Doing it this way will mean that if any paint is going to run under the edge of the tape, it will be blue rather than red. Then when the red goes on you should get super sharp edges. (I might have read this on here, now I think about it)
And always give the base coat plenty of time to dry before you put tape anywhere near it. Even though it dries quick enough to handle, it takes a while longer to properly cure and harden to a state where you don't risk damaging the finish with the tape.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

big_g posted:

Wow! Just about to post some pics of my very nearly finished SU-27 and you had to post that!

No reason to run yourself down. The thought you put into the getting the right sheen of the Raptor is inspirational and it turned out fantastic. The camo on your SU-27 is also quite awesome!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Yo big_g can I get your recipe for the viper, especially the red you used? Did you preshade those panel lines?

And a tip I heard about masking tape- put it on your jeans first so it's not so tacky if you're afraid it's going to pull the paint. For a lot of scifi kits (I guess they'd do them for others as well) there are companies that sell mask sets designed especially for some kits , so I guess if you don't mind spending money it can take a lot of the hassle out of masking.

Not sure if I got it from here, but there's a forum at scifimodelaction that do heaps of scifi kits (mainly enterprises) and a lot light their kits. They got some good tips for masks and decals and all sorts of stuff, if y'all want to see some neat stuff

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Ensign Expendable, since you seem to be the go-to guy for Soviet armour on these forums, could you help me out? I'm about to start on the TVA BT-5 mod. 33 (Zvezda dog rebox with resin turret and metal barrel) plus the Eduard PE set. I also have Tristars Soviet Tank Crew set (http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/figures/tristar/tri35012.htm) to go with it. Are these uniforms ok for Soviet tank crews in the Spanish Civil War?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The two figures on the far left are wearing post-1943 uniforms, so can't use those. This is the only image I can find of Soviet volunteer tank crews in Spain, looks like they're all wearing the old style leather jackets that the two first figures have.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got shitfaced last night and worked on models. Astonishingly, I didn't mess anything up.

Except this guy:

Hail Satan.

VVV :lol:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 15, 2015

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
He looks like he just realised he can now count to 20 without taking his boots off

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nazi science!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Now paint his skin blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Dr. Phildo posted:

Yo big_g can I get your recipe for the viper, especially the red you used? Did you preshade those panel lines?

Sure, I'll do what I can from memory but this was over three years ago now.

I hope this is helpful for you if I can elaborate on any steps please just let me know.

I started of by pre-shading and putting on a grey base coat. This was the first ever time I tried to pre-shade and I was just starting to use an airbrush so it's kinda sloppy but looks okay I think.

The kit comes with decals for the red sections but I masked them off instead and sprayed with Tamiya red instead. Again this was the first time I had ever tried masking off areas and using the airbrush. It's a total leap of faith.

Added the decals which were different than I'm used too they tale ages to soak and they have their own adhesive. I then covered them in Microsol and Microset.

I then used a tooth pick or similar instrument to gently scrape at the red paint to show the grey base coat underneath and sponged on some black around the engine intakes.

I then varnished it and added more carbon marks with black acrylic and did some oil filters. I dabbed on small dots of oil paint all over it in white and brown depending on the area and then drew backwards over it with thinnner. This gives the nice effect of the white over the red stripes and ties everything together I think.

Then I just did the pilot and canopy with GW paints as I recall. I wish I had spent more time on the canopy and not just done solid grey but I was rushed as I had a child appearing in a few weeks time and needed to pack all the modelling stuff away.