Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I have two possibly dumb questions;

1. When using a torrent weapon, does entire template have to be within the 12" range?
2. When rolling deviation for a barrage weapon, you get reduce the scatter by the models BS if and only if you roll a hit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I have two possibly dumb questions;

1. When using a torrent weapon, does entire template have to be within the 12" range?
2. When rolling deviation for a barrage weapon, you get reduce the scatter by the models BS if and only if you roll a hit right?

1. No
2. No, you reduce BS if you have line of sight. A hit is a hit. No scatter.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I think it's to early to tell with Necrons, they have some units that specifically go against the hardest units in the game because their rules are a bit broken. It's kind of interesting how the codex is layed out because you find the biggest advantages in the formations. Like the Judicator Battalions Nightscythes rerolling to hits , wounds and armour penetration on other fliers or the Conclave with Nightbringer being able to target FMCs and welll just anything really that guy's rules are really stretching.

Basically it's to early to tell but I think the codex comes stock with Deathstars , Orikan, Obyron w/ Lychguard or Wraiths. Then you've got the Decurion which who knows what the gently caress is going to come out of that.

2 to 3 months is usually the time it takes to really see a codex come into it's own. Except Orks, they got hosed hardcore.

Ok, I'm finally going to mute you

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I'm still surprised at all the lists that have Tau on the top-top. It was my understanding once they lost Eldar battle bros and Disco-Buff-Commander attached to riptides the army was brought to reasonable power. I don't recall them winning or even placing high in any 7th big events so far.

Tau are often still a strong component of many lists, even if a Tau-primary army is no longer as powerful as it once was. (They can still do quite well, though.) I've won two good-sized events with them as allies recently and with any luck I'll be taking a spot with them at the Las Vegas Open as well. I think you'll still see lots of Tau armies around for quite a while yet.

Master Twig posted:

Even with a lot of twin-linked shots, Tau still have trouble with flying monstrous creature spam. A swarm of Hive Tyrants and Crones is a bit more than they can deal with.

Nah. Crones/Harpies fall to pieces to the massed AP4 that Missilesides bring and even Tyrants get ground down by them fairly quickly. The big thing, however, is that none of the Tyranid firepower is particularly effective at hurting the Tau in return- they rely on 2+ armor saves and the Riptide (arguably the biggest threat, as it's often equipped with Velocity Tracker) is only wounded on a 4+ or worse by most of their guns. Tau can typically just play the waiting game against Tyranids, grinding them down turn by turn and killing their scoring units as they arrive. And that's assuming there are no Skyrays, which are another common inclusion- each Skyray will typically kill one FMC by itself and enable other units to do severe damage to the others thanks to its Markerlights.

Hencoe posted:

Wanted to ask this for a while, how often do you guys have 40k events in your areas? It's not for anyone specific but the thread as a whole.

It kinda depends on how wide an area you're talking. My town has one tournament every month and occasionally a second one, if we're feeling ambitious; if I'm willing to drive, there's also up to two more tournaments per month within an hour of me, and there's at least one big (50+ player) tournament every three months within the general Pacific Northwest that I can consider attending. However, levels of participation vary pretty widely by region, so one of the best ways to get things going is to encourage a community yourself. I'm lucky enough to have gathered a good group of folks that meet up and play pretty much every weekend (and sometimes more often than that), but it's not too hard to do the same if you're willing to commit to a regular day and have the space/terrain/tables to host multiple games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DJ Dizzy posted:

1. No
2. No, you reduce BS if you have line of sight. A hit is a hit. No scatter.

Got it, thanks. Think I was just confusing which clause was dependent on which in the wording.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Cataphract posted:

Welcome to bliss.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Test dude is done enough, no lightbox yet so have some crappy photos:

Edit: Now with 100% more actually dried Dullcote!

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 13, 2015

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Are there any other chapters that get orders from some specific branch of the Imperium? There's Red Hunters with the Inquisition, Minotaurs with the High Lords, and Exorcists working with Grey Knights, anyone else? I know successor chapters tend to stick with their parent chapters, especially Ultramarines and Dark Angels.

Speaking of Grey Knights, has any loyalist chapter aside from the Space Wolves told them to piss off with their mind erasing business?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

I'll be heading back to Milwaukee, Madison, or Minneapolis next year. What can you tell me about the scene around there?

Madison is pretty legit, as there is a decent community for it (both 40k and fantasy). I don't head up there as much as I would like, but they are ramping up GameHoleCon (they did have a tourney there last year, but I usually demo/run boardgames) with a great charity event they hold around Christmas full of Fantasy, 40K, and Warmachine spread out over a couple of locations.
The Last Square used to be the best gaming area in Madison, but I believe they moved out of town somewhere. There are still a couple of nice stores (the ones further away from campus) though I can't remember the name of the biggest one. If you walk into a store and see a bunch of tables? That would be the one.

Milwaukee... I haven't been gaming down there so can't say. I know there is a good Dark Age community there if you feel like branching out. Tim is one of the more outstanding members of the community (and I've ran demos of it with him). Otherwise I'm sure you can find a bit of anything there.

I'm about 45 minutes from Madison if you end up there. Could make for an interesting weekend.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Does anyone have any experience with running Mechanium? I've been suckered into starting them thanks to their amazing miniatures and I'm not sure how to build them. Am I right in thinking that a Magos, a few units of Thallax Cohorts w/meltas and their groovy plasma guns and a Thannatar would be the right way to go?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Does anyone have any experience with running Mechanium? I've been suckered into starting them thanks to their amazing miniatures and I'm not sure how to build them. Am I right in thinking that a Magos, a few units of Thallax Cohorts w/meltas and their groovy plasma guns and a Thannatar would be the right way to go?

Overall the core of the army is pretty straightforward.

Magos Prime is your best HQ. Jetpack Myrmidax with double Phased Plasma-Fusil is hot stuff, but there's a ton of variety. The fortification order with double vengeance batteries can be quite fun.
Castellax are your best troops, but they cannot be your 2 compulsory choices. I like running them in pairs of either double flamers or double meltas (pushing into mid-field), but some folks here also enjoy them as single models with darkfire cannons (hanging back).
Thallax are useful when used properly. Don't get fooled into using anything except for the Multi-Melta (tank hunting) and rarely the Phased Plasma-Fusil (if you have a shooty Prime to accompany them).
Adsecularis Covenant do a good job at putting bodies on the ground for a pittance. Rite of Pure Thought for 20 Fearless bodies @ 80 points total is great.

Using that as a foundation you can easily pepper in extra units. Krios tanks are great, Triaros transports can deliver irad Myrmidons, a Thanatar is impressive but requires some support or Paragon, depending on how many Castellax you have a Tech-Priest Auxillia is a great buy, etc.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 13, 2015

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore

Boon posted:

I'll be heading back to Milwaukee, Madison, or Minneapolis next year. What can you tell me about the scene around there?

Milwaukee has a new club https://www.facebook.com/BBwargamingclub I went there last week, pretty cool group of people. $20/mo and they can get you a 30% discount on GW stuff.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Well looks like Sisters are getting plastic: http://natfka.blogspot.ie/2015/02/sisters-of-battle-moulds-done-and.html

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'll believe it when someone physically brings one in to show me.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

So which one of us is "Nightfury" then?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Within the next 18 months.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shallow posted:

So which one of us is "Nightfury" then?

It's not me this time, but I'm jealous I didn't try.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ijyt posted:

Within the next 18 months.

We've had to endure much, you and, I but within the week there will be plastic sisters running the tables.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

We've had to endure much, you and, I but within the week there will be plastic sisters running the tables.

Foul ol Ron spoke of the mythical Sisters on the Hill. Soon those plastics will be a reality, and we will be crowned its kings. Or better than kings. Hamms.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Aw. It was nice of you to think of me.

:glomp:

Anyone else other then Abuse Puppy heading to LVO? We have 4 people on the team heading down and I've realized I think I need a bigger case. :(

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

It's not me this time, but I'm jealous I didn't try.

Nightfury?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I believe that over the Mark IX rumoured new Space Marine design.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I took a crack at this tutorial on metallics for an inquisitor, with mixed results. In real life this thing is shiny as hell and looks a fair bit better, but not at all like the tutorial pictures (and I didn't quite expect it to anyway). I'm not unhappy with it or anything, and I'm not going to strip it down to redo it, but it was very much a learning experience in how to use glazes properly.

He'll probably look better once I get everything else painted in. The bolt pistol will be solid gold on account of the first game I used him in saw him kill 2 plague marines at range with it over the course of a game, and a third in close combat :black101:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

He'll probably look better once I get everything else painted in. The bolt pistol will be solid gold on account of the first game I used him in saw him kill 2 plague marines at range with it over the course of a game, and a third in close combat :black101:

Oh poo poo, this is that guy? I may have heard some incredulity about this from other side of this match. Yes, that guy deserves only the finest.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Oh poo poo, this is that guy? I may have heard some incredulity about this from other side of this match. Yes, that guy deserves only the finest.

Jon was pretty incredulous over it, yes.

Edit: also who are yoouuuu

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 13, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
For people still looking for chapters with ties to the Inquisition, the Crimson Fists are the way to go:

quote:

The Crimson Fists have always had close ties with the Imperium and the Inquisition. They have contributed many warriors to the kill-teams of the Ordo Xenos, being renowned Ork fighters. They have also, at the order of Terra and the Inquisition, destroyed two chapters of brother Space Marines; the insane Sons of Gideon and the mind-wiped Marines Vigilant. This has earned them a reputation as lap dogs of the Inquisition among certain chapters[Needs Citation]. Though they did so reluctantly, Pedro Kantor himself considers the destruction of the Marines Vigilant, the most distasteful act in the Chapter’s history.[11]
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crimson_Fists

Besides, it serves as validation for the company and a half of the blue bastards I have :v:

Also, tonedeaf music aside, this looks dope as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROOgLD-wtU

Cataphract posted:

Welcome to the light, brother.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

That music choice is great and I will fight you over it :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I was getting kind of worried that this game had disappeared. It's nice to see that it's still around and it looks fantastic. I am really looking forward to it even though it won't be anything close to the insanity of E.Y.E.

I'll agree that the music was an odd choice, but I thought it worked when the trumpets kicked in with the big stand-off at the end of the trailer.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

That music choice is great and I will fight you over it :colbert:
Parts work better than others, it just seems like a weird fit for Warhams.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think it's a welcome change from chanting monks and kettle drums, but I can see how it throws people off.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Still has a good "Slow motion last stand" feel. It's supposed to be an FPS right?

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
Conundrum! Dreadclaw Drop Pod Filled with melta-riffic chosen or Sonic Dreadnaught for upping Blastmaster shots. Either would be supporting two MSU Noise Marine units, heldrake, Obliterators and a biker Slaneesh lord with a squad of bikers. Thoughts? I can't afford both this month.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't see why you'd put a shooty dread in a pod.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't see why you'd put a shooty dread in a pod.

Because you're a filthy heretic?

J/K. Frag cannon furioso dreads in drop pods are pretty sweet though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hencoe posted:

Still has a good "Slow motion last stand" feel. It's supposed to be an FPS right?
Yeah, it's supposed to be a co-op shooter, 4 or 5 players I think. It's made by the guys who did EYE Divine Cybermancy, but the graphics alone look 10x as polished as anything in that delightful mess of a game.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
So I cashed out midway through 6th edition to play WarmaHordes because I hate GW's stupid face. However, my FLGS' WarmaHordes scene dried up and everyone is still playing 40K. So it's new army time.

I have a couple questions:

1. Are CSM any good? How do they compare to Tau?
2. How expensive would a decent CSM army cost compared to say Tau? I know Dark Vengeance exists and I'd likely get one if I went CSM.
3. Is it possible to do an army of mostly Noise Marines like in the 3rd Edition days?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Naramyth posted:

:glomp:

Anyone else other then Abuse Puppy heading to LVO? We have 4 people on the team heading down and I've realized I think I need a bigger case. :(

I will be there on Saturday and Sunday. I'm not playing but hanging out with some of the guys from the West Coast Podcast Alliance.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

For people still looking for chapters with ties to the Inquisition, the Crimson Fists are the way to go:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crimson_Fists

Besides, it serves as validation for the company and a half of the blue bastards I have :v:

Welcome to the light, brother.

It works much better when you dub over something else (mute the Space Hulk one).

Maybe I'm just sick in the head but I can't stop laughing at how well that matches up.

PierreTheMime posted:

I'd have to convince the wife about it, which is an Olympic feat. I suppose I could look up good things for her to do in the area with the kid. Were I a bachelor once again it would be easy, but now it's literally planning a family vacation and then abandoning the wife/kid to go shoot imaginary space lasers. I tricked her into letting me go play the local GT already, so we'll see. It would be cool to see some of you all after years of posting about space barbies together.

DC is really easy to get into and is full of fun and awesome stuff. If you guys are close enough that you're driving to DC then another option is the Children's National Museum over at the National Harbor.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

A Fancy Bloke posted:

So I cashed out midway through 6th edition to play WarmaHordes because I hate GW's stupid face. However, my FLGS' WarmaHordes scene dried up and everyone is still playing 40K. So it's new army time.

I have a couple questions:

1. Are CSM any good? How do they compare to Tau?
2. How expensive would a decent CSM army cost compared to say Tau? I know Dark Vengeance exists and I'd likely get one if I went CSM.
3. Is it possible to do an army of mostly Noise Marines like in the 3rd Edition days?

1. CSM struggle against Tau pretty hard. They are considered a "lower tier" army.
2. Roughly the same. Depends on what you buy.
3. You COULD do an army consisting of a lot of noise marines. They aren't too bad but the key to CSM (imho) is diversity.

Ok So with all that said... Imperial Armour 13 does a LOT to make CSM more powerful. And I really enjoy the army. If your group is playing with FW rules I cannot recommend this enough. However, this also means you will be on the hook for buying some Forge World models... and it sounds as though you are very finance conscious. So this might be the wrong direction to go.

If you are just looking for a strong army - Eldar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It works much better when you dub over something else (mute the Space Hulk one).

Maybe I'm just sick in the head but I can't stop laughing at how well that matches up.
This is now the definitive version of that trailer in my head.

• Locked thread