Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
google's "no-captcha recaptcha" is getting worse for me. sometimes it believes i'm not a robot just with a checkbox, other times it has shown me a single relatively easily read word.

now it's suddenly showing me those things where there is one very distorted word and a word from a low quality scanned text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
you have been getting these captchas too right, that just proves that you're an advanced robot!

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

Hi all

You may or may not have heard of Google Cardboard, but it started out as little joke from Google after Facebook acquired the VR headset company Oculus Rift for $2bn.

It seems Cardboard has become more credible now and developers are creating apps on the Google Play store while designers are created less flimsy versions of the “box”

So, I bought one (yeah, I guess I could have made one, but who has the time?) and it’s sitting on the desk opposite [someone] upstairs. I’ve been too busy to play with it yet but if you have an Android phone and want to give it a try, help yourself!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah that was my last office too

there were two or three within walking distance of me. they usually looked in some state of disrepair, but maybe that's just cause they're loving cardboard.

i looked in one and was pretty unimpressed.

then not a day later a guy brought an oculus and i had the loving ride of my life in that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you suck google

this doesnt even make sense. last time i didnt have to choose

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

best part is when you pick one and then your subscriptions don't show up in the sidebar and you have to refresh.

then you click comment and it asks you to fill out your real name and you're like what the heck

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

you suck google

it tries to make you use g+ account you don't have on that email, I think

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

kalstrams posted:

keep loving that chicken, google

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

kalstrams posted:

i thought they finally dropped this bullshit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Necc0 posted:

i thought they finally dropped this bullshit
no, quite contrary, it has been pushed forward now so that absolute majority of youtube commentaries appear on g+
that is also how they made g+ look like desolate desert with cactuses, instead of just desolate desert

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

you suck google

what's wrong with your fonts? :barf:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

what's wrong with your fonts? :barf:
indeed, what's wrong?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya how did u induce that

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/technology/personaltech/googles-time-at-the-top-may-be-nearing-its-end.html

peak google in the new york times. the narrative is shifting, google's destruction is almost upon us

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Growth in Google’s primary business, search advertising, has flattened out at about 20 percent a year for the last few years.
idg how someone can write this and not feel like a shitbag, "oh no their primary revenue stream has only grown 20% a year what loving losers"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
you should see my fonts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

idg how someone can write this and not feel like a shitbag, "oh no their primary revenue stream has only grown 20% a year what loving losers"

step one: be cremnob or a cremnob accesory

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It will be pretty hilarious at whatever point in the future Google has to exercise actual cost controls instead of it just being a magical playpen where you can solve world hunger, build death robots and write code that removes non-vevo music videos at the same place

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

It will be pretty hilarious at whatever point in the future Google has to exercise actual cost controls instead of it just being a magical playpen where you can solve world hunger, build death robots and write code that removes non-vevo music videos at the same place

did microsoft or any other big company ever act like this or is google a pioneer in that regard

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

did microsoft or any other big company ever act like this or is google a pioneer in that regard

microsoft outsourced saving the world to the bill gates foundation

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

my company recently fired a bunch of people because we didn't meet the parent conglomerate's goal of >10% growth every year

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

microsoft outsourced saving the world to the bill gates foundation

bill :allears:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

my company recently fired a bunch of people because we didn't meet the parent conglomerate's goal of >10% growth every year

my company has never made a single cent :smug:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
that's the official anroid developer slogan

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

PleasureKevin posted:

best part is when you pick one and then your subscriptions don't show up in the sidebar and you have to refresh.

then you click comment and it asks you to fill out your real name and you're like what the heck

my favorite thing is that if i switch to the account google wants me to use nothing carries over from my old one

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cremnob posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/technology/personaltech/googles-time-at-the-top-may-be-nearing-its-end.html

peak google in the new york times. the narrative is shifting, google's destruction is almost upon us

"Google is great at information but it is still learning emotion."
:newlol:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

step one: be cremnob or a cremnob accesory

mmm cremnob loves me so much mmm

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

A. if you don't listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, kill yourself
B. http://www.npr.org/2013/05/11/182873683/google-chairman-eric-schmidt-plays-not-my-job

quote:

SAGAL: So your story is is that Google, as we know, was founded by these two grad students at Stanford who came up with this search thing. They were very young men at the time, and they founded this company, and you were brought in to provide adult supervision, as they said in the day. Is that about right?

SCHMIDT: That's roughly right.

SAGAL: OK.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: And so, what was Google like as a company when you showed up? What did you have to teach them to do, like guys, you're going to have to wear pants to work. I'm sorry. This is a business?

SCHMIDT: Well, we actually had to have a rule, we had to have two rules. The first rule - these are both rules I enacted. The first is that you had to wear clothes to work.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

and he's the creepy one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am displeased with google and mattel

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qirex posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
straight from the ball pit onto your face

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo?

productized google carboard

no, really

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

is it actually a good thing to listen to usually?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qirex posted:

productized google carboard

no, really

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

teen bear posted:

is it actually a good thing to listen to usually?

yeah, it's pretty funny. The host (Peter Sagal) is witty and quick and the guest panel is comprised of comedians/humorists (usually) and they're pretty funny and the guests are usually pretty interesting.

If you like The Daily Show/Colbert you'd like it.

In Google news, I just got so fed up with Chrome that the goog can suck a bag of dicks because I'm done with it.

One less google thing in my life, yay

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

hehe.. *in doge or maybe borat voice* very nostaglia, i like

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

such voice

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yeah, it's pretty funny. The host (Peter Sagal) is witty and quick and the guest panel is comprised of comedians/humorists (usually) and they're pretty funny and the guests are usually pretty interesting.

i'm usually sketpical of shows i hear recommended by other NPR podcasts but i'll give it a few listens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao they've killed helpouts. launched in 2013.

edit: sorry, november 2013

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/5/5066674/google-helpouts-launches-a-market-for-live-video-lessons-from-experts

quote:

Although it's a small launch, Google VP of Engineering Udi Manber was bullish on Helpouts' future. Likening current skepticism about Helpouts to how some felt about online shopping in the early days of the internet, Manber repeated over and over at a press event today that "in the end, convenience and efficiency always win."

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread