Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm sure that this has been answered to death, but I'm unable to find it in the first or last few pages: What is your preferred mid-range gin for martinis? For gin/tonics? I tend to get Tanqueray as a "safe" pick, but I'd love to know if I'm missing out on something better by not spending the extra $10.

Bombay Dry is the workhorse. Great for anything. Boodles is really lovely for something a bit more citrusy. St. George Terroir and Anchor Junipero are fantastic slightly upmarket gins – I only use them for Martinis or other spirit-forward drinks. Some people swear by Aviation, but I don't have any thoughts on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm sure that this has been answered to death, but I'm unable to find it in the first or last few pages: What is your preferred mid-range gin for martinis? For gin/tonics? I tend to get Tanqueray as a "safe" pick, but I'd love to know if I'm missing out on something better by not spending the extra $10.
I really like bluecoat and don't see it recommended here enough.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Gravity Pike posted:

Get Citadelle. Costs about the same, goes with everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I tried Citadelle and was very pleasantly surprised.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I find Citadelle skews sweet compared to a London Dry when mixed.

I also like Bluecoat, but it's a very Northeast thing. For a workhorse, Beefeater crushes.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Aviation won't stand up to tonic but it has a lot of nice floral notes that shine in a martini. I love tanqueray, Bombay dry, junipero, bluecoat, st George botanivore, big gin...there are a lot of great gins out there right now. Ooh almost forgot Ford's, a newer London dry that hits all the right notes, and it's from dushan zaric's new spirits company 86 n co (their caña Brava rum and tequila cabeza are both fantastic as well)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Butch Cassidy left me hanging in TFR, so I'm asking here. What whiskey does the goon hivemind recommend for Boulevardiers?

You've already got a ton of good responses, and I'll never turn down a Wild Turkey 101-based drink in particular, but I wanted to recommend Weller Antique as well. It makes a great boulevardier.

(I generally prefer wheated bourbons in bourbon cocktails, though; I find that if high-rye bourbons taste good, usually a rye tastes better to me. Maker's is definitely too sweet and weak to stand up to other ingredients, but overproof wheated is very nice.)

While we're talking whiskey drinks, I bought a bottle of bonded Mellow Corn recently because I felt like I had to try it. Can I actually make any decent cocktails with it?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Bluecoat gin

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm a big advocate for Hendrick's.

On a non-gin note, I just grabbed a bottle of a Gingerbread Liqueur (well, pain d'epices, but whatever). Anyone have any suggestions for drinks to use it in?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scythe posted:

You've already got a ton of good responses, and I'll never turn down a Wild Turkey 101-based drink in particular, but I wanted to recommend Weller Antique as well. It makes a great boulevardier.

(I generally prefer wheated bourbons in bourbon cocktails, though; I find that if high-rye bourbons taste good, usually a rye tastes better to me. Maker's is definitely too sweet and weak to stand up to other ingredients, but overproof wheated is very nice.)

While we're talking whiskey drinks, I bought a bottle of bonded Mellow Corn recently because I felt like I had to try it. Can I actually make any decent cocktails with it?
Where are you at that you can even find weller?

Because of its rarity alone, I'd recommend staying away from mixing with it.

DankTamagachi
Jan 20, 2005
Tamagachi to your throat!

cptn_dr posted:

I'm a big advocate for Hendrick's.

On a non-gin note, I just grabbed a bottle of a Gingerbread Liqueur (well, pain d'epices, but whatever). Anyone have any suggestions for drinks to use it in?

White russian? And maybe on the other side, a hot toddy could be fun.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DankTamagachi posted:

White russian? And maybe on the other side, a hot toddy could be fun.

Yeah, a hot toddy was a good idea. Good call.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

Where are you at that you can even find weller?

Because of its rarity alone, I'd recommend staying away from mixing with it.

Well, now you're worrying me! I feel like I see it around here in NYC all the time, but Astor Wines is out which is never a good sign. I'll be sad if it's discontinued, it's my standard wheated.

(Also, I just realized I was unclear; there's the "William Larue Weller" that's part of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, which is not what I'm talking about. You're right, that is super rare and I have never seen it. I was referring to the "Old Weller Antique" which, confusingly, is not part of the Antique Collection. It's not special release, just a solid mid-shelf whiskey. The "W.L. Weller Special Reserve" is also good and also not special release, but only 90 proof to the Antique's 107.)

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Even the cheap Wellers are getting harder and harder to find on the shelf these days.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gravity Pike posted:

Is Plymouth too expensive to be considered mid-range? I keep a bottle of something cheaper around for gin and tonics or Tom Collinses but for a drink like a martini, Plymouth is fantastic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I just got me a bottle of this (at the Toronto Duty Free if one must know). Other than G&T classic, anyone got a good idea for this?

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
Martinez. White Negroni. Pegu Club.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Whoa I wanna try that but drat what a hideous bottle. I would probably sip it with a rock but when I'm at home I'm lazy about cocktails.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Huh. Go get 'Em, Bacardi.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

The Maestro posted:

Whoa I wanna try that but drat what a hideous bottle.

At a glance, it made me think it was some sort of fancy motor oil or antifreeze.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scythe posted:

Well, now you're worrying me! I feel like I see it around here in NYC all the time, but Astor Wines is out which is never a good sign. I'll be sad if it's discontinued, it's my standard wheated.

(Also, I just realized I was unclear; there's the "William Larue Weller" that's part of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, which is not what I'm talking about. You're right, that is super rare and I have never seen it. I was referring to the "Old Weller Antique" which, confusingly, is not part of the Antique Collection. It's not special release, just a solid mid-shelf whiskey. The "W.L. Weller Special Reserve" is also good and also not special release, but only 90 proof to the Antique's 107.)
It was featured on the chew or some poo poo as a great bourbon for less than Makers or something. I believe they said that it was the same as pappy unless you're a snob. Hopefully demand will loose interest soon.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Yo Kenning, I made Limmer's Club Gin Punch for a party last night and it was a huge fuckin' hit.

My friends are all sold on punch. Me, too. Thanks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

It was featured on the chew or some poo poo as a great bourbon for less than Makers or something. I believe they said that it was the same as pappy unless you're a snob. Hopefully demand will loose interest soon.

Nope. Not as long as PvW remains infamous. We're looking at a generation of people who are going to chase rare bourbon like a status symbol and KEEP YOUR GODDAMN FILTHY loving ANIMAL HANDS OFF ARMAGNAC YOU FINANCE SHITHEELS

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Since we're doing gin chat, New Amsterdam is a very solid workhorse gin for G&Ts and other cocktails that benefit from a citrus-y gin. I pretty much always have a 1.75L of that and a smaller bottle of nicer stuff (Bluecoat was a great recommendation) for nicer cocktails.

Also, for Christmas, I got a bottle of this from the in-laws:

Not really sure how to describe it but it's quite nice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I got a kick last time I was in Louisville and saw a billboard for New Amsterdam vodka and it was like "It's your city...New Amsterdam" and I had to check my GPS to make sure I wasn't in Queens.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
New Amsterdam Spirits Company, Modesto California.

Cracks me up every time.

Jinglebrained
May 28, 2014

My current favorite is a blackberry fig old fashioned. You can do a mix of berries, I just like blackberries.

1 tsp sugar
2 oz blackberries
1 medium size fig, quartered
few dashes of bitters (I prefer orange bitters in this)
2 oz whiskey

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
sup cocktail thread,

i'm on the hook for cocktails for a friend's birthday. it's going to be low key and a small number of people. however, i have to drive a couple of hours to get there, so i need to bring everything with me. i'd like to bring maybe 5-6 bottles (not including bitters or mixers) and be able to make as wide a variety of cocktails as possible. what would you choose if you were in this situation?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

sup cocktail thread,

i'm on the hook for cocktails for a friend's birthday. it's going to be low key and a small number of people. however, i have to drive a couple of hours to get there, so i need to bring everything with me. i'd like to bring maybe 5-6 bottles (not including bitters or mixers) and be able to make as wide a variety of cocktails as possible. what would you choose if you were in this situation?

A gin of some sort, definitely. Probably some triple sec as well. Tequila for margaritas since they're almost universally liked. Having trouble thinking of others that would yield a variety of possibilities.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

George Zimmer posted:

A gin of some sort, definitely. Probably some triple sec as well. Tequila for margaritas since they're almost universally liked. Having trouble thinking of others that would yield a variety of possibilities.

yeah, gin is a must. i was thinking rye whiskey, which would let one do old fashioneds, manhattans, sazeracs, and whiskey sours.

I was trying to think if there's some specialty liqueur or something that i could add in that would yield a few additional options.

ideally i would like to bias the selection toward the, for lack of a better word, "classy" type of cocktail. like you would get at a speakeasy-style bar.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah, gin is a must. i was thinking rye whiskey, which would let one do old fashioneds, manhattans, sazeracs, and whiskey sours.

I was trying to think if there's some specialty liqueur or something that i could add in that would yield a few additional options.

ideally i would like to bias the selection toward the, for lack of a better word, "classy" type of cocktail. like you would get at a speakeasy-style bar.

Maraschino would fit the bill nicely. If you can get a hold of Creme de Violette, you can make classic aviations, which are fantastic.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

George Zimmer posted:

Maraschino would fit the bill nicely. If you can get a hold of Creme de Violette, you can make classic aviations, which are fantastic.

good call! I actually have a bottle of creme de violette. thanks for the suggestions

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yo Kenning, I made Limmer's Club Gin Punch for a party last night and it was a huge fuckin' hit.

My friends are all sold on punch. Me, too. Thanks.

Yay! It's bitter orange season everyone! Get your orange punch on while you still can!

In other news, whoever is responsible for vermouth ordering at my local BevMo has been on point lately. They're stocking half bottles of both Vyas, all 3 Dolins, AND Carpano. In celebration I got a bottle of St. George Terroir, Rittenhouse Bonded, Vya Extra Dry, and Dolin Rouge. Now I just need to get some Abbott's bitters and I can give up drinking water forever.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Yay! It's bitter orange season everyone! Get your orange punch on while you still can!

In other news, whoever is responsible for vermouth ordering at my local BevMo has been on point lately. They're stocking half bottles of both Vyas, all 3 Dolins, AND Carpano. In celebration I got a bottle of St. George Terroir, Rittenhouse Bonded, Vya Extra Dry, and Dolin Rouge. Now I just need to get some Abbott's bitters and I can give up drinking water forever.

Mine stopped carrying Dolin! But they did pick up Vya (got a half bottle of the sweet), splits of antica, and full carpano biancos.

I got to do a little vermouth tasting last week. 2 from NY, Vervino; an Italian, Massican; and one the wine maker was doing herself, which I actually enjoyed the most. She was at my work with the owner of another restaurant, and he's talking about stocking all the Dolins, Vya, and Carpano and making house blends...which means he'll have a lot of vermouth to share with me. Sometimes I really love my job

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I've given up carbonated drinks for not-Lent. Any cheap cocktail reccomendations?

EDIT: No soda, obviously.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 21, 2015

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Force carbonated or just method champaginoise? Also what the hell is wrong with you?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

old fashioned is about as cheap as it gets without being a turd.

Followed by martini/manhattan

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Force-carbonated manhattans are actually pretty good.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Now I just need to get some Abbott's bitters and I can give up drinking water forever.

They're back in stock at the Berkeley Cask now after having disappeared for a few couple months over the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Vegetable Melange posted:

Force carbonated or just method champaginoise? Also what the hell is wrong with you?
What? Also, I'm on meds that make anything carbonated taste flat.