Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm not sure how to interpret this response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

YF-23 posted:

I'm not sure how to interpret this response.

Nope has 4 letters, 0 is true 1 is false, 4-1=3 Half-Life 3/Victoria 3 confirmed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

V for Vegas posted:

But is there going to be an "Announcement" hint, hint.

No, we're keeping Rome2 secret for now.

Drone posted:

Is this always at Gamescom? Please say yes, that was super convenient for me last year.

Nope - it can be anywhere. We've had it in our office, in NY, at Gamescon, and I think In Australia over the last few years.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

You're doing an amazing job at it, too.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vichan posted:

I'm using the Steam version of Rome, specifically Rome: Gold Edition, there's also a seperate Rome:Vae Victis option in the Steam launcher that I'll try now. I have 8gb RAM and Windows 7.

Well, launching Vae Victis instead didn't change a thing, such a shame... :(

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Your discretion and secrecy is legendary.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think we all know the real reason that Rome 2 is never going to be a reality.

If it was ever released, someone, somewhere would run a second Crete LP. (requires archives, I think.) The world would not survive such a monstrosity.

Edit: Also, more Reign of the ancients talk. I recall there being a mention of a republican imperium or other equivalent to the monarchical regular Empire government somewhere in that mod, but looking through the files no such thing exists. Am I just misremembering?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 13, 2015

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In HOI2 combat I was under the impression you could effectively command up to 12 divisions with a field marshal, 24 if they were in a HQ unit. Yet I'm seeing stuff like this:

Do field marshals stack? I am not using a HQ in that current fight but I'm trying to work out any other reason that France could have that many men in a fight.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SkySteak posted:

In HOI2 combat I was under the impression you could effectively command up to 12 divisions with a field marshal, 24 if they were in a HQ unit. Yet I'm seeing stuff like this:

Do field marshals stack? I am not using a HQ in that current fight but I'm trying to work out any other reason that France could have that many men in a fight.

First off, don't put 24 divisions into an army. You won't get an "over command max" penalty, but you won't get any bonus from the experience level of the general leading it. Max out at 12.

Secondly, command limits don't seem to matter to the defender. Not entirely sure how the mechanic work, but generally speaking when defending you can use as many divisions as you like.

Thirdly, when attacking, the variables that matter are the rank of the general, the presence or lack of an HQ in or adjacent to the province, and the number of directions you're attacking from. So, a field marshal gives you 12, an HQ doubles it to 24, and attacking from two directions at once doubles it to 48 again.

Generally speaking, you want to pick targets that you can hit from as many adjacent provinces at once - not only to max your command limit, but also to give you the flanking bonuses.

Command limits are one of the reasons that the game breaks down when too many divisions are in the game - they really only penalise the attacker. You could put 500 divisions in a province and there wouldn't really be a way to beat it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

NewMars posted:

I think we all know the real reason that Rome 2 is never going to be a reality.

If it was ever released, someone, somewhere would run a second Crete LP. (requires archives, I think.) The world would not survive such a monstrosity.

Edit: Also, more Reign of the ancients talk. I recall there being a mention of a republican imperium or other equivalent to the monarchical regular Empire government somewhere in that mod, but looking through the files no such thing exists. Am I just misremembering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGaRQIGYG4

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Just posted this in the CK2 thread, but figured you wanted to see this too:

3 years :toot:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

Secondly, command limits don't seem to matter to the defender. Not entirely sure how the mechanic work, but generally speaking when defending you can use as many divisions as you like.

Thirdly, when attacking, the variables that matter are the rank of the general, the presence or lack of an HQ in or adjacent to the province, and the number of directions you're attacking from. So, a field marshal gives you 12, an HQ doubles it to 24, and attacking from two directions at once doubles it to 48 again.

It's been a while, but don't defender command limits stack based on how many directions you are being attacked from? Attackers get it per direction they are attacking from, defenders get per direction they defend against.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Some disgusting autist has spent 1.14 years playing this game in the three years since it was released. :cripes:

10,000 hours = 8 hours a day, every single day, for 3 years. Right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThaumPenguin posted:

lol at no Sunset Invasion

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't really know much about Angry Joe but it's pretty refreshing to see someone gaming related giving an actual interview and not just softballing publishers. He needs to stop cutting people off a bit but getting a publisher to admit "Yeah we hosed up" in an interview is pretty funny.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

It's been a while, but don't defender command limits stack based on how many directions you are being attacked from? Attackers get it per direction they are attacking from, defenders get per direction they defend against.

Having done a little reading, the defender command limit is just the limit from all the generals in the province, added up. So if you had a general (9) and a field marshal (12) leading two armies in a province, you'd have a limit of 21 divisions if you were attacked.

So as long as you don't exceed the command limits on your leaders, you should never have to worry about command limits when defending, only attacking.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I don't really know much about Angry Joe but it's pretty refreshing to see someone gaming related giving an actual interview and not just softballing publishers. He needs to stop cutting people off a bit but getting a publisher to admit "Yeah we hosed up" in an interview is pretty funny.

Forgot today's stream, thanks.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

Having done a little reading, the defender command limit is just the limit from all the generals in the province, added up. So if you had a general (9) and a field marshal (12) leading two armies in a province, you'd have a limit of 21 divisions if you were attacked.

So as long as you don't exceed the command limits on your leaders, you should never have to worry about command limits when defending, only attacking.

Thanks for the information. Sorry for not making myself clear earlier but I structure it so my armies contain 3 divisions within them. One of those armies will be the field marshal. I realise the problem of the HQ not keeping up, particularly with amoured pushes but I feel 6-12 divisions in one army to be a little unwieldy, esp for said amoured divisions.

So from what you're saying, a HQ unit will grant double the command limit any leader in charge of it, any any adjacent. Attacking from another direction on the same province doubles that number again?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I just tuned into the livestream. Did they just announce Victoria 3 or was that a joke?

e: It seems it was a joke while addressing a request for Victoria 3.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 13, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vicky 3, Rome 2, Game of Thrones DLC for CK2 all confirmed

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TTBF posted:

I just tuned into the livestream. Did they just announce Victoria 3 or was that a joke?

Victoria 3 has been announced if you view it from a temporally displaced point of view.

i.e no

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SkySteak posted:

Thanks for the information. Sorry for not making myself clear earlier but I structure it so my armies contain 3 divisions within them. One of those armies will be the field marshal. I realise the problem of the HQ not keeping up, particularly with amoured pushes but I feel 6-12 divisions in one army to be a little unwieldy, esp for said amoured divisions.

If "maximum war-winning power" is your goal, you want your divisions lead by the highest level leader possible. Here's an example to illustrate:

Let's say I have one level 5 field marshal and a hundred level 1 generals. If I give them all three divisions, I have three divisions lead by a level 5 leader, and a hundred divisions lead by a level 1 leader. If I give the field marshal twelve divisions and the remaining divisions to the generals, I have twelve divisions lead by a level 5 leader, and ninety-three divisions lead by a level 1 leader, which is a stronger army.

So really you should just fill up your highest-level generals to their command limits.

There is an argument to be made for levelling up your generals by using as many of them as possible, but your army will be weaker (since using more generals means using more bad generals) so you'll lose more manpower than you would pursuing a "war-winning power" strategy, experience on generals isn't so valuable that you should be playing DH like an RPG, and in order to pursue this strategy as optimally as possible you'd need a military made entirely of single-division armies, which are unwieldy to control using the game's UI.

At the end of the day though, your use of generals is unlikely to make-or-break your chances of winning the game, it's not a powerful element of the combat system.

quote:

So from what you're saying, a HQ unit will grant double the command limit any leader in charge of it, any any adjacent. Attacking from another direction on the same province doubles that number again?

Yeah. HQs affect the province they're in and all the provinces adjacent in two ways:

1. They double the command limits of all combats going on.

2. They increase the number of "combat events" your units get (EG: Breakthroughs, encirclements, etc) - these events are generally positive.

Both of these are very valuable, so you should always try to have HQ coverage on any combats that are happening. You should therefore have about one HQ per three provinces in the frontline - so if your frontline is twelve provinces wide, you'll need four HQs to cover it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

If "maximum war-winning power" is your goal, you want your divisions lead by the highest level leader possible. Here's an example to illustrate:

Let's say I have one level 5 field marshal and a hundred level 1 generals. If I give them all three divisions, I have three divisions lead by a level 5 leader, and a hundred divisions lead by a level 1 leader. If I give the field marshal twelve divisions and the remaining divisions to the generals, I have twelve divisions lead by a level 5 leader, and ninety-three divisions lead by a level 1 leader, which is a stronger army.

So really you should just fill up your highest-level generals to their command limits.

There is an argument to be made for levelling up your generals by using as many of them as possible, but your army will be weaker (since using more generals means using more bad generals) so you'll lose more manpower than you would pursuing a "war-winning power" strategy, experience on generals isn't so valuable that you should be playing DH like an RPG, and in order to pursue this strategy as optimally as possible you'd need a military made entirely of single-division armies, which are unwieldy to control using the game's UI.

At the end of the day though, your use of generals is unlikely to make-or-break your chances of winning the game, it's not a powerful element of the combat system.

Yeah. HQs affect the province they're in and all the provinces adjacent in two ways:

1. They double the command limits of all combats going on.

2. They increase the number of "combat events" your units get (EG: Breakthroughs, encirclements, etc) - these events are generally positive.

Both of these are very valuable, so you should always try to have HQ coverage on any combats that are happening. You should therefore have about one HQ per three provinces in the frontline - so if your frontline is twelve provinces wide, you'll need four HQs to cover it.

Fair enough, I can easily see why you'd do it for infantry divisions. All I was saying is that with amoured ones, given in say, France, I was rapidly spreading them out for encirclement and confining them to one big 12 stack felt a bit limiting.

I really need to build more HQs but I admit between heavy IC usage for infantry, high dissent due to mobalisation, very temporary, though production stopping/research slowing debt (Was going for Diplo Offensive to get Nat Spain and others) and reinforcement drain, I feel very stretched thin. On the other hand though, I am staying on top of the Allied bomber swarms and I have a good chance of kicking Britain out of the Suez.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Podcat is in a suit. :psyduck:

He looks like the Eleventh Doctor.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SkySteak posted:

All I was saying is that with amoured ones, given in say, France, I was rapidly spreading them out for encirclement and confining them to one big 12 stack felt a bit limiting.

Ah, I see. Yeah, when doing encirclements with tanks I usually have a large stack and I peel divisions off it as I move. If I need to occupy four provinces to pull off my encirclement, I'll peel off three divisions per province as I go and put them under the control of the highest level leader I'm not currently using. If I only need to occupy three provinces, I'll peel off four divisions per province as I go, and so on. Not much to be gained by pre-splitting your stack, you'll just end up with some of it under the command of an inferior leader. (assuming of course that you have a leader of sufficient rank to command it all)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Man HOI4 is looking great. That concept of drawing the fronts looks really cool, I hope that makes it in.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gort, are you watching this? They're going over army control right now and it looks really interesting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jesus that majestic Hitler portrait never gets old.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's a smaller slice of people who play Paradox games, but augh, all this showcasing of games and new stuff and there's so little revealed about how they tick. Like, in HoI4, if I knew what file type portraits and company logos used, and what dimensions were used, I'd start fiddling with that even before the game proper comes out.

Something more to make modders salivate, you know? I'm dying to know more about how to tear everything to pieces and put it all back together.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Game of Thrones DLC mod for CK2

This already exists. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

It's a smaller slice of people who play Paradox games, but augh, all this showcasing of games and new stuff and there's so little revealed about how they tick. Like, in HoI4, if I knew what file type portraits and company logos used, and what dimensions were used, I'd start fiddling with that even before the game proper comes out.

Something more to make modders salivate, you know? I'm dying to know more about how to tear everything to pieces and put it all back together.

PDX games usually take .tga or .dds

So we can be fairly certain about that, at least.

Oh, and podcat posted this elsewhere:

code:
	battlefleet_concentration = {
		# EFFECT #############
		battleship = {
			max_organisation = 0.1
			search_and_destroy_coordination = 0.5
		}
		battle_cruiser = {
			max_organisation = 0.1
		}
		heavy_cruiser = {
			max_organisation = 0.1
		}		
		########

path = {
			leads_to_tech = subsidiary_carrier_role
			research_cost_coeff = 1
		}

research_cost = 3

folder = {
			name = naval_doctrine_folder
			position = { x = -2 y = 2 }
		}

ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}

ai_research_weights = {
			naval_doctrine = -1.0
			battleship = 1.0
			cruiser = 1.5
		}
	}

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I assume Victoria 3 wasn't announced because nobody's exploded the news here yet. :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I would expect HOI4 to be pretty much exactly like modding EU4/CK2, it runs on the same exact engine doesn't it?

Just get your source files for images ready, it's not hard to convert them to .dds once you know the exact dimensions you're working with. For scripting, assuming you already know how to work with EU4/CK2 I'm sure you'll be ready to jump right in. The exact details on stuff is going to change frequently, and the game is still likely 5+ months away from release at best, so them giving out details at this point would probably not even be that helpful.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Drone posted:

I assume Victoria 3 wasn't announced because nobody's exploded the news here yet. :(

Victoria 3 will be an iOS/Android game with tons of microtransactions, where you play a Victorian Skinned Clash of Clans.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Drone posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny that they had a surprise Vicky announcement at the end and the rest of us are keeping hush to gently caress with you.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Drone posted:

If they do, they'll just show us their progress on the design document, which is a whiteboard with "LESS JACOBINS" written in Chris King's blood.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

When attacking, the command limit is the highest level commander across all attacking stacks, for that one province-to-province connection.

If I have 6 divisions in a province, and the first three divisions are grouped in a single stack under a Lt Gen, and the next three are grouped in a second stack under another Lt Gen, and both stacks attack, one Lt Gen is selected as the leader of the attack, and since Lt Gens have a command limit of 3 (at least in original HOI, not sure what DH numbers are anymore), the attack is overstacked and three divisions are under a penalty. I would have to replace one Lt Gen with a General or better, or have the attack be in range of an HQ to double a Lt Gen's command limit to 6.

When defending, the command limit is per stack.

If I have 6 divisions in a province, and the first three divisions are grouped in a single stack under a Lt Gen, and the next three are grouped in a second stack under another Lt Gen, and the province is attacked, the command limit is counted per stack: The first three divisions have a command limit of 3 from the Lt Gen leading their stack, and the next three divisions have a command limit of 3 from their own Lt Gen leading their stack. All divisions can fight without any command penalties.

Basically, a defender will never suffer a command penalty unless they're already over the command limit while sitting still during peacetime, which is something that's entirely avoidable because the game gives you red text if you see that the stack itself is already over its command limit for the currently assigned leader.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HoI4's part of it, but not all of it. Skylines pitches modding right in its trailers, but from what I've seen- and I haven't watched everything, tbh- they haven't really showcased what all that entails in the context of the game. There's people in the Skylines thread grousing about the limited number of buildings visible in the previews; showing off how modding works within the engine and what can be done would be a great way to show off one of the game's features and placate that bellyaching at the same time. R-right?

e: although god yes I want to mod HoI4. I've been wanting to create a Crimson Skies scenario for years-- HoI2/DH was awfully finicky with AI scripting and graphics, while HoI3 was HoI3 and I never got around to playing that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

Gort, are you watching this? They're going over army control right now and it looks really interesting.

OK, tracked it down and watched it. Looks hella cool - it appears you can have at least a half-dozen armies or so, so my fears that you'd have to control a single division at a time seem unfounded. It kinda looks like they want to let the division AI do the job of forming a battle line for you, and then you use the battle plan system to plan your breakthroughs and major offensives.

I hope it works, I'm generally opposed to letting AI control my units at all in strategy games (especially ones where I can pause and give specific orders) but it sounds OK so far.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Funky Valentine posted:

Jesus that majestic Hitler portrait never gets old.
Paradox should make majestic portraits for all the major leaders, with Street Fighter style defeated portraits for when the war isn't going well.

• Locked thread