Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
Can I go back to the topic of the Drill Dragon vs Sekai hand?

So, let's shorten this whole assimilation thing to how the Matrix movie worked for this small point I want to make. In Gundam Build Fighters Reiji outright broke/strained his hand because of a fight. Now we have GBF-T where Sekai Gunpla hand and half of his arm part broke completely. Sadly in the preview his right hand is perfectly fine. Holding it up in a silly "anime epic" pose. What the hell? I understand this is for a kid toy Gunpla show, so broken hands are a bit away to what they want. That and the ratio of Gunpla to pilot is unlikely not one to one, yet. I understand perfectly well the method of hot head anime fighter eating his weight in food or sleeping it off and recovering to 100% for the next day. I call silliness. If Gundam wants to copy Char mask character every time they can brake half of a main characters arm. Hell pull off a Gundam Wing where Heero arm was messed up and have Yuuma attach a homing missile pod to the arm slot. The Heavyarms machine gun was made lighter and a beam saber was placed in side the weapon connected to the upper arm. Sekai can't use a GM pistol to shoot a target 20 feet away but misses could still help him cover and fight. Disconnect the weapon when you want to use a final death blow.

Also I'm going to place my bet down that Yuuma lost the Gunpla suitcase and had to fix the Burning Gundam him self. Just a small bet of nothing against the fact that he loses it. That is all for now.

Edit:
So, Gunpla is freedom right? This counts as a armor suit right? I can use this in a Gunpla fight? Oh come on its just one whole space ship of laser cannon death built to support life but now has over 100 different weapons in it Gunpla! There are NO rules against this yet.

Sandata fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sandata posted:

Also I'm going to place my bet down that Yuuma lost the Gunpla suitcase and had to fix the Burning Gundam him self. Just a small bet of nothing against the fact that he loses it. That is all for now.

Yuuma almost certainly loses the suitcase because Junya's machine looks to also be a Build Burning Gundam and there's only one way he's getting one of those. It just depends on if he salvages some parts or not.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yunya hasn't been fighting in his matches apparently and given what was shown in Yuuki's manga and what we know about this season we can guess that Yunya stole the 2nd meijin's suite and it probably got hosed up in last years fight, so he needs parts to fix it too.

So Yuuma will probably get enough to fix the Try Burning or just man the gently caress up and try to fix it himself but Yunya is definitely getting something too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sandata posted:

So, let's shorten this whole assimilation thing to how the Matrix movie worked for this small point I want to make. In Gundam Build Fighters Reiji outright broke/strained his hand because of a fight. Now we have GBF-T where Sekai Gunpla hand and half of his arm part broke completely. Sadly in the preview his right hand is perfectly fine. Holding it up in a silly "anime epic" pose. What the hell? I understand this is for a kid toy Gunpla show, so broken hands are a bit away to what they want.

Reiji's hand wasn't messed up because of Gunpla, it was messed up because he blocked a baseball bat with his wrist, then played a serious Gunpla match without getting it checked out.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Schubalts posted:

a serious Gunpla match

You know, without any context, this is a really weird sentence.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Yuuma almost certainly loses the suitcase because Junya's machine looks to also be a Build Burning Gundam and there's only one way he's getting one of those. It just depends on if he salvages some parts or not.

I'm betting he also gets hurt enough in the tussle that he has to sit the next fight out, but not hurt enough to miss the following one. So...fractured wrist or something else anime can write off as healing in a few days.

Fumina will then get taken out disabling his two team-mates, leaving it as just Sekai and Junya. Why involve Yuuma in a fight that's only about two others at all when you have the perfect excuse to leave him out altogether after all? He'll somehow manage to fix Try Build Burning perfectly despite whatever injury too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

tsob posted:

I'm betting he also gets hurt enough in the tussle that he has to sit the next fight out, but not hurt enough to miss the following one. So...fractured wrist or something else anime can write off as healing in a few days.

Fumina will then get taken out disabling his two team-mates, leaving it as just Sekai and Junya. Why involve Yuuma in a fight that's only about two others at all when you have the perfect excuse to leave him out altogether after all? He'll somehow manage to fix Try Build Burning perfectly despite whatever injury too.

Shia can show up and help, I guess

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pyroi posted:

You know, without any context, this is a really weird sentence.

Mainly because it was a serious baseball match.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Mainly because it was a serious gunpla baseball match.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

It would be great if Yuuma had to sit out a match so they got Gyanko to take his place. She and Fumina wouldn't need to get taken out, they could be busy fighting the other two, or even beat the other two but then respectfully let Sekai have his one on one fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love that nowadays, I can just see that there's 130 new posts in the thread and my question isn't "what's going on in there", but "what are they arguing about now?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Gyanko can take his place. The rules seem to state that you can only have someone from the same school. (Thus why Sakai had to do his begging.)

That said the rules also require 3v3 (the reason Fumina had to shanghai Sekai in the first place) so I don't think Yuuma'll be out.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't really see any arguments, just discussion of serious Gunpla plot.

This thread needs a Meijin.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Speaking of which I'm not Lady isn't starting to verge on creepy stalker territory.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Gyanko can take his place. The rules seem to state that you can only have someone from the same school. (Thus why Sakai had to do his begging.)

That said the rules also require 3v3 (the reason Fumina had to shanghai Sekai in the first place) so I don't think Yuuma'll be out.

All this means is the return of mantis man

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

They pretty clearly don't require all 3 to participate, or the Gunpla Academy would have been penalized for not fielding all team members. Extenuating circumstances, like an injury are a far better reason for one to not participate than "we don't want to" - the Gunpla Academy's basic reason. Plus, let's be honest, the show has always played rather fast and loose with even the few rules it does establish.

Personally though, I'd prefer they not field an outsider like Gyanko because all they'll be there for is to fill space before being quickly eliminated, and that time could be better utilized. Then again, I find her a rather dull character with nothing to really recommend her. At this point her character is essentially: likes Sekai, is a girl. The basic idea is good and she could have been better, like most of the show, but she isn't, and I'd prefer to see her role minimized so that the actual cast can get as much a chance to shine as possible - even if it'll probably be squandered.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 13, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

They pretty clearly don't require all 3 to participate, or the Gunpla Academy would have been penalized for not fielding all team members. Extenuating circumstances, like an injury are a far better reason for one to not participate than "we don't want to" - the Gunpla Academy's basic reason. Plus, let's be honest, the show has always played rather fast and loose with even the few rules it does establish.

Personally though, I'd prefer they not field an outsider like Gyanko because all they'll be there for is to fill space before being quickly eliminated, and that time could be better utilized. Then again, I find her a rather dull character with nothing to really recommend her. At this point her character is essentially: likes Sekai, is a girl. The basic idea is good and she could have been better, like most of the show, but she isn't, and I'd prefer to see her role minimized so that the actual cast can get as much a chance to shine as possible - even if it'll probably be squandered.

Gyanko doesn't have a deep personality but she has a personality which counts a lot in a show with so few characters with distinctive personalities at all. She emotes and is silly and goofy and isn't "m.. my gunpla is super-serious."

I'm so glad the triplets are gone. Does anyone care if we ever see them again?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm so glad the triplets are gone. Does anyone care if we ever see them again?

Mostly I'm just annoyed that we never got a reason for why the one who applied for Gunpla Academy got rejected. I understand that in terms of the narrative, the reason why he was rejected ultimately wasn't important, only the fact that he was and that he reacted badly to it. But it still bugs me that we don't actually know.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them in the audience watching the rest of the tournament, but I won't be heartbroken if we never see them again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

W.T. Fits posted:

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them in the audience watching the rest of the tournament, but I won't be heartbroken if we never see them again.

This applies to basically everyone in the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Mostly I'm just annoyed that we never got a reason for why the one who applied for Gunpla Academy got rejected. I understand that in terms of the narrative, the reason why he was rejected ultimately wasn't important, only the fact that he was and that he reacted badly to it. But it still bugs me that we don't actually know.

Well, to be fair, he did lose in the second round despite having terrain that was custom-tailored for him and trapping two of his opponents in what should have been a sure-kill trap.

I assume the reject letter just read "Why would you use a time bomb instead of a regular bomb?!"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't even understand why the fight choreography included it, since they could have just had Fumina spot the bomb given that there was no attempt made to hide it, then blow up the roof before passing over it and escape by just narrowly out-running the blast wave or something. Then again, I don't understand lots of decisions in the show, in and out of fights.

The triplets doing nothing but stand around and quote numbers in a completely stoic manner being one of those things. They were stupifyingly dull, and the flashback did nothing to change that. They were a bad copy of the Renato bros with none of the charm and personality. They did try and provide a reason for why they were so sore about gunpla, but not a very good one.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 13, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

tsob posted:

I don't even understand why the fight choreography included it, since they could have just had Fumina spot the bomb given that there was no attempt made to hide it, then blow up the roof before passing over it and escape by just narrowly out-running the blast wave or something. Then again, I don't understand lots of decisions in the show, in and out of fights.

Like for example, who decided that people like Sekai. I seriously don't know if anyone even likes him, in the west or Japan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because it is easy to animate a time bomb's counter and Fumina staring at it in dread.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muike posted:

Like for example, who decided that people like Sekai. I seriously don't know if anyone even likes him, in the west or Japan.

I do, though I like the basic idea rather than the execution. Having a happy go lucky protagonist is fine as others have said, so long as you challenge them and have them positively effect the rest of the cast in natural ways. Loran is a reasonable example of such. I mostly like him because the whole way through the original I was wishing Reiji was a more G Gundam style character and while Mao's master was a good nod to that, it didn't really scratch that itch.

Even then the fight choreography really shits up the idea given he does nothing but special moves most fights. I imagine that's mostly a budget restriction or something though, not a lack of desire on the part of the staff. He's really not that much worse than Sei or Reiji though honestly - the show just treats Sekai more favorably, though that's not his fault. The culmination of Sei's arc in the final episode being a good example of why he was terrible much of the time. Reiji was no better.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My biggest problem with Sekai is that he's a karate otaku and doesn't care about gundam or gunpla at all and instead of using it to be like a gateway to gundam and gunpla it's like the show is trying to ignore the fact that it's gundam as much as possible

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The original used gunpla battle as a conduit to show love for gunpla itself regularly, with several secondary characters existing partially to facilitate this, like China and Mao. Try seems to think gunpla battle is the sole end point, which is weird given that gunpla battle doesn't exist.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I realize the original show had love for gunpla battle as its own end point. Nils, the Renatos and even depending on your interpretation, Fellini only reaally seemed to care about gunpla in service of battles, not as a pleasure of its own.

I'd say that Sekai singing Anime Ja Nai and helping repair gunpla twice, as much as his relative skill allows at least gives some indication he is supposed to enjoy those elements though. Not really any worse than Reiji to me, given that Reiji only really built one suit the entire show and didn't seem to really care about gunpla as its own end by the end of the show at all. Certainly didn't care about Gundam itself.

Also, Sekai was only taking a break to work out after a week of helping upgrade the units before someone points out he stopped after only a few minutes to work out and let Yuuma do the rest like the last time it was brought up. Fumina had left to shower and change clothes according to the episode because they'd be doing it all week.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 13, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

tsob posted:

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I realize the original show had love for gunpla battle as its own end point. Nils, the Renatos and even depending on your interpretation, Fellini only reaally seemed to care about gunpla in service of battles, not as a pleasure of its own.

Fellini treated his gunpla like a partner, and in his origin story montage we see him as a kid holding it up over his head while he pretended it was flying. He loves gunpla, and became a fighter.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Fellini treated his gunpla like a partner, and in his origin story montage we see him as a kid holding it up over his head while he pretended it was flying. He loves gunpla, and became a fighter.

Yeah, I dont know how you could watch the original season and not see Fellini as loving gunpla.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm not sure how someone could've missed that Fellini loves gundam almost as much as he loves women. He is what we all aspire to be.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He was willing to destroy his gunpla rather than lose. He might have liked gunpla on its own as a kid, but he seems to enjoy the battle aspect a whole lot more as an adult. He obviously cares for his partner, but seems to view it primarily as a means to an end - the end being fighting. Assuming the Wing Renascita is an entirely new suit (which it may not be, but dies seem to my untrained eye to be the case), he even replaced it following its loss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

He was willing to destroy his gunpla rather than lose. He might have liked gunpla on its own as a kid, but he seems to enjoy the battle aspect a whole lot more as an adult. He obviously cares for his partner, but seems to view it primarily as a means to an end - the end being fighting. Assuming the Wing Renascita is an entirely new suit (which it may not be, but dies seem to my untrained eye to be the case), he even replaced it following its loss.

That was Fellini acting out of character and Kirara called him on it. This is the same dude who went on and on about the key frames in a 08th MS Team spinoff, remember? The same guy who hit on a woman by making a Victory Gundam for her.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She called him on his hypocrisy and he backed down, but he was still willing to do it regardless. I make no claim he doesn't love Gundam as a franchise, just that he seems to view gunpla primarily as a means to fight, not as its own pleasure that he enjoys distinct and apart from battling.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Literally the first thing he says when the Rinascita was introduced was that he hadn't shown up in a while because he was repairing and upgrading the Fenice.

Hell the entire gimmick of the Fenice is that it is a single kit Fellini has used and constantly fixed up his entire life. That's why it was so out of character for him to try and sacrifice it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

She called him on his hypocrisy and he backed down, but he was still willing to do it regardless. I make no claim he doesn't love Gundam as a franchise, just that he seems to view gunpla primarily as a means to fight, not as its own pleasure that he enjoys distinct and apart from battling.

The Fenicie was his partner and a toy he literally had from childhood. He builds Gunpla to hit on women. When it got torn apart in the Star Build Strike battle he and Sei rebuild their Gunpla together, he didn't just get a new one. He is obviously a giant gunpla dork.

He was willing to blow it up because he was acting out of character and desperate to win against the woman who had previously defeated his friend, and it was intentionally supposed to be kind of sad because he isn't the kind of guy who disrespect his Gunpla and treats it as disposable.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Self-destruction is the most appropriate end for a Wing variant though, just so we're clear.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
There was also the bit at the end of the SBS vs. Fenice episode where both he and Sei are working on repairs together when Reiji asks them both if it's really that much fun to fix the gunpla up after a fight, and Fellini's "Of course!" is just as enthusiastic as Sei's.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Meanwhile Nils loving built a shrine for his kit so, uh, I don't really think you can argue he doesn't like gunpla.

If anything he thought gunpla battle was silly.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BlitzBlast posted:

Meanwhile Nils loving built a shrine for his kit so, uh, I don't really think you can argue he doesn't like gunpla.

If anything he thought gunpla battle was silly.

Nils was also a ninja and used his Ninja skills to tail the president of a toy company. It makes perfect sense viewed from that lens he'd build a little shrine for the Sengoku Astray.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nils didn't seem to get why people would wreck their hard-built Gunpla for no meaningful purpose so he obviously got the fun of building, just not of fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

Nils didn't seem to get why people would wreck their hard-built Gunpla for no meaningful purpose so he obviously got the fun of building, just not of fighting.

And look at him now!

Thinking about it, the Mega Shiki kind of reminds me of Nils. A modified Hyaku Shiki/Delta Gundam like Nils used in his first appearance, and samurai beam sabers because, well, Nils.

• Locked thread