Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Chickenwalker posted:

My job makes me want to break down and cry. So many things are done so poorly. It's like the Myth of Sisyphus over here guys, except less myth and more reality.

Please read Camus.

If you're unhappy with your reality, change yourself or change it. Sisyphus was damned. You can get a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syg
Mar 9, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

This is probably the best idea because frankly no matter how diligent you are you aren't truly becoming an expert in all (or even any) of those things if you're only dealing with these issues extensively once every few years. Operations and Engineering/Architecture are pretty different and it's unlikely that you've got enough time to keep up with the engineering stuff you'd need to know if you're running operations all day every day.

Yeah I have talked to subject matter experts via our VAR on various different things, like I have a CCIE I can call on, some senior storage guys from the storage vendor, etc. But no one internal who can look at our environment as a whole and brainstorm the overall architecture. For example after designing our WAN I had some Cisco SEs look at it and validate it, and I've been talking on the phone with storage and vmware company guys. You can't really dig deep with them though and talk about the nitty gritty as it pertains to your business in particular. Also I have new questions and thoughts pop up almost daily and I can't be using these resources on a whim like that.

Also I didn't mean to imply that I'm an expert per se, but I do feel very confident at the end of one of these refreshes, flying around the storage CLI, troubleshooting performance, etc. Then two years later of everything working perfectly and working on other projects it all seems blurry again.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

syg posted:

spend a lot of time on IRC

Curious what channels

syg
Mar 9, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Curious what channels

On freenode ##networking and #vmware mostly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

Please read Camus.

What would you recommend as a starting point?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm guessing "The Myth of Sisyphus" given the context. The Stranger is a good book though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't get how the hell I get stuck in these situations, how come I sign to jobs for one functions and suddenly I'm doing packages deployment? I didn't sign for this poo poo lol even better, I can only install after everyone's left, and they're staying in as well. Oh and it's scheduled for every Wednesday and friday. I don't wanna sound conflictuous but, yeah I guess I am.

Inspector_666 posted:

The Plague's pretty dope.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Any advice for someone who wants to get out of the Windows admin world into AWS? I feel like I dont even know where to start. I bought a udemy course on AWS that I want to start going through but AWS seems like it's more a platform to launch other services that I have no clue about. I read all about the cool puppet/chef a lot of folks on here get to work with and would like to start learning how to do some of that but haven't the faintest clue on how to begin. I know it's all various versions of linux so I guess I just need to start there by launching some vm's and labbing around. What should I be labbing though? Ages ago when I was kid I remember getting a cheap domain and setting up a linux box to run sendmail and untangle but never really pursued it after everything was setup.

The only thing that really gets me interested in windows anymore is powershell and SCCM so I just want to dip my toes in the linux water and see if it's something I want to invest a lot of time in.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any advice for someone who wants to get out of the Windows admin world into AWS? I feel like I dont even know where to start. I bought a udemy course on AWS that I want to start going through but AWS seems like it's more a platform to launch other services that I have no clue about. I read all about the cool puppet/chef a lot of folks on here get to work with and would like to start learning how to do some of that but haven't the faintest clue on how to begin. I know it's all various versions of linux so I guess I just need to start there by launching some vm's and labbing around. What should I be labbing though? Ages ago when I was kid I remember getting a cheap domain and setting up a linux box to run sendmail and untangle but never really pursued it after everything was setup.

The only thing that really gets me interested in windows anymore is powershell and SCCM so I just want to dip my toes in the linux water and see if it's something I want to invest a lot of time in.

If you've got a free hour, there's a quick set of tutorials that will get you spinning up a VM and playing with Chef very fast. Nothing earthshaking but it'll break the ice for you.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My advise: do it and do it now.

I am in the same spot. I just got my AWS subscription set up last week, and just got turned down a job because my experience was mostly in Microsoft stuff - even though I have the technical skills (in the interview I got sat down in front of a macbook with a linux terminal up and asked to write a shell script. Never had to do that 'under the gun' like that, but I nailed it.)

Start up your free AWS account and start spinning up some AMI's. If you're into powershell already, python is cake. Get into python and shell scripting. I'm new at all this but (aside from studying for VCP) I'm working on this a lot so if you want someone to work together with, let me know.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Why the urgency?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Why the urgency?

There is staggering demand for people who can work with AWS and Chef/Puppet and it's only going to grow. Even huge enterprises with aging ERP systems are starting to make the move. Unless some disruptive action occurs, like a high profile AWS intrusion, this trend does not show any signs of stopping.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

Why the urgency?

Because I'm kicking myself for not getting into it sooner.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I am in the same spot. I just got my AWS subscription set up last week, and just got turned down a job because my experience was mostly in Microsoft stuff - even though I have the technical skills (in the interview I got sat down in front of a macbook with a linux terminal up and asked to write a shell script. Never had to do that 'under the gun' like that, but I nailed it.)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NippleFloss posted:

I'm guessing "The Myth of Sisyphus" given the context. The Stranger is a good book though.

Ding. I was recommending "The Myth of Sisyphus", the whole point of which is that you actively have the choice to rebel against your life or accept it every moment, and that, even if damned, you are never "trapped" in a situation. If you're talking about something being Sisyphean or Tantalizing, it's interesting.

It's also really approachable, especially for philosophical thought.

But The Plague and The Stranger are good. The Fall is also good.

Alternatively, Sartre is pretty hard to get into, but Merleau-Ponty and Beauvoir do a good job of covering and analyzing the essential ideas behind Sartre without actually needing to read Being and Nothingness. Nietzsche is also hard to get into, even though Zarathustra is brilliant, The Gay Science or the Genealogy of Morals are good starting points.

I don't really care if people read philosophy or not, but existentialism is a good logical basis for creating your own ethical framework, and sticking to it. And for choosing to live for yourself instead of the expectations of others. Camus is nice because he gets by without needing to have read Aurelius and Kant and Aristotle, and the whole philosophical "in order to have a new idea worth anything, first you have to refute every idea everyone's ever had" problem where there's 800 pages of argument addressed to some guy who died 2000 years ago.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Windows runs fine on AWS.

AWS is a platform. Really, it's more of an infrastructure as a service. Learn about how to devops Windows. Probably sysprepped templates with Powershell DSC or something.

You can't effectively "dip your toes" into the Linux water and learn on AWS, honestly. Knowing enough to write fluent chef/puppet/salt/whatever manifests is going to mean knowing way, way more about Linux than you already know. Get a VPS on Rackspace or DO or make a VM locally and read through a RHCE guide or something to learn Linux, then follow some of the Puppetlabs tutorials (they provide a Vagrant image for doing this stuff) or read a book on Chef or whatever.

If you know Windows and you want to stick with Windows, then learn DSC or how to manage agile Windows environments. AWS is not a Linux-only platform, it's not a replacement for Windows, and it may not be suitable for your business needs or personal needs. Most of the people on AWS probably are running Linux, but that's true of the web and startup worlds in general, so it's not a telling statement.

AWS is another step, so you can say "we may need 300 more webservers 5 minutes from now, how do I build my application and my infrastructure so I can spin those up and have them configure themselves and add themselves to the cluster/haproxy/whatever, then be able to take them down when we don't need it anymore so I'm not paying a ton". You should not be setting up AWS boxes with untangle and sendmail. You should be using Amazon's EmailaaS (SES, I think) to send mail from your machines if you need it after they've come up and joined your Mesos cluster or advertised themselves on Consul. You should be bringing machines up in an AWS security group which already has the firewall rules you want with the API, not by hand.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

FYI, these people are dicks if they declined you after you nailed a whiteboarded or live coding session, whether or not you have "mostly Microsoft stuff" as your experience or not.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MagnumOpus posted:

If you've got a free hour, there's a quick set of tutorials that will get you spinning up a VM and playing with Chef very fast. Nothing earthshaking but it'll break the ice for you.

Thanks for this! I have some time this weekend, I'll go through this as starting point.

[quote="Fiendish Dr. Wu" post="post441525849"]

Start up your free AWS account and start spinning up some AMI's. If you're into powershell already, python is cake. Get into python and shell scripting. I'm new at all this but (aside from studying for VCP) I'm working on this a lot so if you want someone to work together with, let me know.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer. I've never really worked with Python before, any suggestions on books or training materials? Here is the course I mentioned before:
https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-2015/#/
Had pretty good reviews and it's on sale still as far as I know for $20.

Maybe AWS is new enough it would warrant starting a new thread?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Edx.org has a great Introduction to Programming with Python as do quite a few other MMOCs

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for this! I have some time this weekend, I'll go through this as starting point.

Thanks for the offer. I've never really worked with Python before, any suggestions on books or training materials? Here is the course I mentioned before:
https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-2015/#/
Had pretty good reviews and it's on sale still as far as I know for $20.

Maybe AWS is new enough it would warrant starting a new thread?

AWS fits into the traditional IT workflow. Just a datacenter somewhere else. I mean, people barely understand the :smithcloud: as it is, so maybe a new thread there, but I think most of us developing or working with cloud platforms/software live in the normal threads anyway.

For Python, I'd go with some combination of
  • Dive into Python
  • Learn Python the Hard Way
  • Programming Python (O'Reilly, ofc)
  • Python Cookbook (also O'Reilly)]
In that order, depending on how fluent you are as a developer. Python has been described as "executable psuedocode", but if you're good with another language, a deeper look might be nice.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

Python has been described as "executable psuedocode"

How come?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

evol262 posted:

FYI, these people are dicks if they declined you after you nailed a whiteboarded or live coding session, whether or not you have "mostly Microsoft stuff" as your experience or not.

Thanks. I'm trying not to let it get me down but it did bum me out. Seriously, I nailed the scripting session, whiteboarded a hadoop architecture that ended up being close -to-exactly the architecture they have in place, and even solved (with a little help) 2 of those stupid 'Google problems'. The feedback that was sent to my recruiter was totally positive and how they liked me, blah blah blah, but they're looking for someone with more of a linux / opensource background.

gently caress.

Anyways.

http://www.codecademy.com/ has some kickass interactive Python, Ruby, and other lessons.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I personally prefer coding in Python, but Ruby definitely deserves a shoutout because it's what Chef recipes are written in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

How come?

Things like dynamic type and eschewing punctuation ("not" instead of "!"), can make for code that is readable by a programmer regardless of python experience. As in, they can look at it and go "Oh, I see what's going on here".

I mean honestly here's a sample:
code:
for line in open('filename'):
    print line
It's fairly obvious that I'm opening a file, iterating through that file line by line until EOF and printing each line to the screen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^ efb..

Tab8715 posted:

How come?

Basically it's easily readable by people with varying backgrounds in programming. Anyone that has a bit of programming experience can read it and get the gist of it for the most part.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

http://www.codecademy.com/ has some kickass interactive Python, Ruby, and other lessons.

Bump. This is a fantastic site.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MF_James posted:

Basically it's easily readable by people with varying backgrounds in programming. Anyone that has a bit of programming experience can read it and get the gist of it for the most part.

Maybe I'm a huge idiot but coming from C it took me a while to figure out how loops like that worked in Ruby/etc. You have to learn the little 'tricks' of the syntax. Especially when you have a book that shows you could but doesn't explain it like you're a 5 year old.

code:
['foo', 'bar', 'baz'].each_with_index {|j, i| puts "#{i} #{j}"}
That is incredibly simple to me now, but at first it was a brainfuck compared to a C loop.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

code:
'foo', 'bar', 'baz'].each_with_index {|j, i| puts "#{i} #{j}"}

How in the hell does this work :aaa:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

syg posted:

Anyone else in an environment with no technical peers?

The loneliness... it hurts.

It's all well and good to bullshit with colleagues anyway, but it's kind of isolating to not be able to talk shop with anyone; I had a play with PDQ Deploy today and had no one to geek out with :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

How in the hell does this work :aaa:

That's Ruby, not Python, FWIW. And maybe an example of doing something "clever" just because you can rather than writing readable code.

edit: I don't mean to call out Bob Morales btw, he was just posting a random example.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 13, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I hate languages that are "clever" to save a programmer a few keystrokes, just to cause a future reader a huge pile of extra work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Got an offer to :yotj: (for the second time in 6 months). Much better atmosphere, opportunity to develop a much better skillset, and better opportunities to grow within the company. Commute would be longer, but I'll probably only be at the office once every week or two weeks. Downside is that I still have to work with federal clients, the upside is that I'll be dealing with them for shorter periods of time (and there's also non-government clients). Also a 19% pay raise, which would mean that I'll be earning almost three times what I was making when I first got into IT out of college.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I hate languages that are "clever" to save a programmer a few keystrokes, just to cause a future reader a huge pile of extra work.

This is less about the language and more about the programmer.

I've never understood why people try to be clever in managed languages. Seems like slapping a spoiler on a minivan.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Super Slash posted:

It's all well and good to bullshit with colleagues anyway, but it's kind of isolating to not be able to talk shop with anyone; I had a play with PDQ Deploy today and had no one to geek out with :(

Geeking out over the Internet with you after looking at PDQ Deploy (and testing it myself). That is some seriously slick software... might have to see if I can get the boss to spring for it (license is pretty cheap too).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MagnumOpus posted:

This is less about the language and more about the programmer.

I've never understood why people try to be clever in managed languages. Seems like slapping a spoiler on a minivan.

Insert mental defect of your choice. They don't even see the problem, witness Arthur Whitney from KX Systems,

quote:

BC: Do you ever look at your own code and think, "What the hell was I doing here?"

AW: No, I guess I don't.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8533843

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2015

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Ok. Career advice time. I'm 25 and flunked out of grad school for advertising. I was working 20hrs a week (two overnight shifts) and couldn't hack the 40-60hrs a week schedule school required plus work. So... I've been volunteering 2-3 days a week in the service tech department. I'm getting all the training that they have. However, when I went in for the informational interview, the supervisor asked me (this was a few months ago) what's the one thing that makes me stand out from everyone else. When I told him I love to learn and work hard, he said that's what everyone else says as well.

So... apart from learning the role and volunteering 2-3 days a week in the department, what else can I be doing?

The reason I'm becoming a service tech from tech support is the career progression is tech support and/or service tech --> maintenance tech --> network technician. However, my company only hires network techs once every 5-10 years due to people never leaving the position.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GiveUpNed posted:

Career advice

I'm not really sure I understand what it is you're currently doing (the service department of what? the school you flunked out of?) versus what you're wanting to do in the near future.

My immediate reactions to your post and questions are that A) that interview question is dumb - if he's going to ask a generic, cliche interview question, he should probably expect cliche responses, and B) as far as "what else can you be doing" - look elsewhere? If the upward mobility in this company is so stagnant it doesn't sound like the right sort of place to plan a career in.

Aside from that, generic advice like studying for relevant certs, setting up a home lab and playing around and breaking/fixing things, etc.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MagnumOpus posted:

Because it matters a hell of a lot. Cython is close to C in places, but beyond that, Go and Java are near C/++ in performance, as is .NET. But sometimes to get there you need to know that list comprehensions and other "clever" functional programming bits generate much better AST and much faster execution than naive code.

Tab8715 posted:

How come?

flosfl got it, but if you were trying to sketch out how to program to someone, and you wrote:

code:
for line in lines:
  if "somestring" in line:
    #do something
  elif "some other line" not in line:
    #do something else
That's valid Python. It really is paper napkin programming, at least for basic stuff

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My immediate reactions to your post and questions are that A) that interview question is dumb - if he's going to ask a generic, cliche interview question, he should probably expect cliche responses, and B) as far as "what else can you be doing" - look elsewhere? If the upward mobility in this company is so stagnant it doesn't sound like the right sort of place to plan a career in.

Aside from that, generic advice like studying for relevant certs, setting up a home lab and playing around and breaking/fixing things, etc.

The problem with my area is there's nothing better around. However, 600 jobs are coming to my region as my company is consolidating and removing redundant roles. I'm almost at 2 years of work experience at my current role, so now's the time you typically look at moving up or onwards. Hence I'm volunteering 2-3 days a week in the department. The thing with IT jobs at ISP's and datacentres, is they're so good, nobody ever leaves them. You aren't over worked, you don't have to deal with bullshit, and the entire company is aware their business success rides on you.

Edit: I'm in the service department of the ISP. When you call and say your TV is broken and your modem is offline, I'm the guy that comes out in a truck.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Consolidating and removing redundancies isn't a thing that leads to more jobs...

Also wait I'm confused, are you saying that you're not getting paid to to frontline ISP support? If so, the reason they don't want to hire you is they're getting the milk for free, dude.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I closed out a bunch of tickets and now I have nothing to do for 2 hours. Normally I'd be studying for something now but :effort:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
After working all day, I've got ELK sort of working with some test NFL data. (Quick-Elk)

Anyone know how I can do some more interesting things with the data? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do anything other than count plays by month/week etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That is some seriously slick software... might have to see if I can get the boss to spring for it (license is pretty cheap too).

My Excuse to our finance manager;
"So yeah I've been needing better tools for awhile, you remember that little problem we had last week? (Salesforce for Outlook got updated with extra features, a few machines had the older version and left in the dust, brought up in management meeting, MASS HYSTERIA) this would enable me to deal with things like that much quicker ;)"