Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Darkest Dungeon doesn't have a lose state ATM. The worst that can happen is that you run out of money so you have to hire adventurers, send them out without supplies and then fire them when the come back insane.

Oh, that's kinda disappointing, I just assumed so because of the other roguelike elements. Is it something they plan to add?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hoobajoo posted:

Oh, that's kinda disappointing, I just assumed so because of the other roguelike elements. Is it something they plan to add?

No idea but honestly the game doesn't suffer at all without one. The game is all about trying to build up your heroes that could die at any time and being able to just lose the game completely wouldn't really add anything interesting to that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Well those videos were enough to convince me to buy Darkest Dungeon. Poor Reynauld, the guy was dealing with so much poo poo that is was only a matter of time before he snapped.

I would love to see them revisit the game later when the development is further along, hopefully one of them will notice that you can have 11 heroes by then.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rhonne posted:

Well those videos were enough to convince me to buy Darkest Dungeon. Poor Reynauld, the guy was dealing with so much poo poo that is was only a matter of time before he snapped.

I would love to see them revisit the game later when the development is further along, hopefully one of them will notice that you can have 11 heroes by then.

It was really frustrating seeing them miss stuff or get mechanics wrong :(

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I dunno, for their first or second time going through the game, I thought they did alright. Then again, I didn't really know much about the game before watching the videos, so I don't really know what else they got wrong. The max heroes thing just stuck out to me because you could see the number right above the hero list while they were debating over which guy to take.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rhonne posted:

I dunno, for their first or second time going through the game, I thought they did alright. Then again, I didn't really know much about the game before watching the videos, so I don't really know what else they got wrong. The max heroes thing just stuck out to me because you could see the number right above the hero list while they were debating over which guy to take.

Oh yeah, they definitely didn't do badly but not noticing the positional stuff for the jester, missing the fact that the roster was 11 heroes, missing that that could use holy water on the confessional booth and not realizing that the torch burns down during battles stood out.

I would definitely watch more once the game is further along though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

Late reply, but this was pretty good, they even showed off the unlockables. Liam is right, light-gun games are really hype. I wish they could have pulled off rescuing the President on camera though, just to hear Matt's reaction to the Presidential High Five.

How are the gang's typing skills? Having them play hotseat Typing of the Dead would be pretty funny. Overkill has some pretty funny word/zombie pairings and boss paragraphs.

I wanna see Darkside Chronicles, maybe as a one-off sometime, if only because I love it when they poo poo-talk Umbrella Chronicles. Also cause Pat loves RE2 and the game turns a lot of kinda boring bossfights into cooler ones. Especially that one Tyrant in Code:Veronica who goes out with a bang.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Rhonne posted:

They did fine, it's just Darkest Dungeon has the same problem Hearthstone does where the only gameplay is making decisions, so when you watch someone new (or bad) at the game make the wrong decision over and over it can wear at you. Thankfully Liam jumped on Pat early and convinced him to just kill dudes instead of using AoE attacks to do a whopping 2 more damage. It's a shame they struggled with party composition and unit positioning but the way you learn in this game is by loving up and getting everyone murdered.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Trexy posted:

They did fine, it's just Darkest Dungeon has the same problem Hearthstone does where the only gameplay is making decisions, so when you watch someone new (or bad) at the game make the wrong decision over and over it can wear at you. Thankfully Liam jumped on Pat early and convinced him to just kill dudes instead of using AoE attacks to do a whopping 2 more damage. It's a shame they struggled with party composition and unit positioning but the way you learn in this game is by loving up and getting everyone murdered.

To add to this, they are making a first look video, which leads them to rush more than is advisable for the sake of the viewers. I'm sure Pat would spend an hour just in the village min-maxing the party if he was by himself, which is probably how you're supposed to do it. And hey, getting to see a great triumph followed by a terrible failure is perfect for showing the game off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would happily watch a solo Pat-through of Darkest Dungeon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd watch Darkest Dungeon: The road to final victory 2.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would happily watch a solo Pat-through of Darkest Dungeon.

Well, there is the "Pat Stares At" playlist on the Youtube channel...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I am a dumb spoiled baby, are we getting a Mario RPG video today?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hello, I am the person who recently posted screenshots of Xenoblade Chronicles X and how it'll be a fun game and I'd like to rescind my statement as it'll actually be awful anime trash. Again, I am extremely sorry for misleading people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Already better than the last game

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I am a dumb spoiled baby, are we getting a Mario RPG video today?

Yeah it's up on the website. Someone forgot to make it not private on youtube.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RareAcumen posted:

Hello, I am the person who recently posted screenshots of Xenoblade Chronicles X and how it'll be a fun game and I'd like to rescind my statement as it'll actually be awful anime trash. Again, I am extremely sorry for misleading people.

How tall, how boob

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Does Friday Night Fisticuffs usually come out at a specific time? I'm about ready for my fix.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

There better be a crotch slider for the men. :colbert:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Does Friday Night Fisticuffs usually come out at a specific time? I'm about ready for my fix.

They put out videos at 3 PM and 9 PM EST. You got another 45 minutes or so until it should go up.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Day one buy GOTY 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I am looking forward to anime saints row

edit: It would help if you explained why it will actually be awful anime trash unless that gif is your explanation in which case lol

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Woof I haven't even played parasite eve and I recognised how to beat that kerberoos boss without spending the entire inventory

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no, the game has been ruined!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I am looking forward to anime saints row

edit: It would help if you explained why it will actually be awful anime trash unless that gif is your explanation in which case lol

I'm poking fun at the few people in the X thread all like 'yup, that's how tits work, great job.'

The joke being that the game had promise up until the boob slider appeared and welp, there goes all the good will it had before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh. Well alright, carry on then.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Next, you'll tell me every MMO is terrible because they also have boob sliders.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

OneDeadman posted:

Next, you'll tell me every MMO is terrible because they also have boob sliders.

I've never played an MMO with a boob slider

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
But then again I'm not stupid enough to play MMOs

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I read the last page of the Xenoblade Chronicles thread (to understand the joke that fell flat) and of course it's a loop of the eternal "omg it's animu~~" goon thing. .

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm not reading that thread but let me take a guess:

Goon 1 complains about the anime.
Goon 2 ironically posts about how they love the anime but actually they dont care about the anime.
Goon 3 genuinely likes anime and posts about how they like anime.
Goon 2 ironically responds but seriously only actually ironically you guys they don't REALLY like anime pff ha ha can you imagine.
Goon 1 votes 1, buys the game anyway.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

RareAcumen posted:

Liam and Woolie: BURESTO SURAIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goons are loving weird about Anime boom drop the mic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

I read the last page of the Xenoblade Chronicles thread (to understand the joke that fell flat) and of course it's a loop of the eternal "omg it's animu~~" goon thing. .

There're some real bad opinions in that there thread.

Somehow an actual opinion posted:

I think the mechs are pretty stupid but yeah the gameworld looks really awesome. Hopefully the character models are the only weak part of the game. They kinda were for XC too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"Yeah, I hate giant robots" - the most boring loving person.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Spiritus Nox posted:

"Yeah, I hate giant robots" - the most boring loving person.

I hate most robot animes for whatever reason despite thinking giant robots in general are cool as gently caress. I'm stoked to use it in Xenoblade though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I hate most robot animes for whatever reason despite thinking giant robots in general are cool as gently caress. I'm stoked to use it in Xenoblade though.

Is it wanting to just see big robots fighting each other without anime characters talking?

That was a big problem with the first Transformers movie, among other things, if you subtract anime from that first sentence.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I just typically don't like the action in 90% of giant robot stuff. There's some obvious exceptions like Gurren and G Gundam but for the most part it doesn't appeal to me in that medium. Couldn't really tell you why.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TriffTshngo posted:

I just typically don't like the action in 90% of giant robot stuff. There's some obvious exceptions like Gurren and G Gundam but for the most part it doesn't appeal to me in that medium. Couldn't really tell you why.

Too many shots of the robot pilots wiggling levers and yelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ7SAGuFSgM
UNIBEL fisticuffs is up!