Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That seems like a great thing I would subscribe to (mainly for the licensed comics like Samurai Jack and PPG from IDW) if I didn't have so much to read already, thank you very much, Image Comics sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

I liked the first couple issues of Powers back in the day, does the series maintain enough quality for the bundle to be worth purchasing?

VVVVV Thanks!

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 11, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I really liked all of the 2000-2004 issues, actually thinking they were better and better than the first arc or two. It's been a while, but I think it peaked somewhere around issue 18 of the 2004-2008 run. I don't think it's gotten bad at all, just kind of plateaued.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The entirety of the Image run was pretty drat good, from what I recall. (Up to like, volume 8, I think?) I only read a few issues into the Icon run, because it came out so infrequently early on. It's more regular now, I think.

(I still laugh at the joke from the super-groupie arc early on, where Deena's teasing Walker for sleeping with girls like that back when he had his powers. "Those girls were... very patriotic." "Patriotic? What, did you gently caress on a flag?")

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm the iPad app is a lot better for Scribd, it's a glorified pdf reader, but it's workable. I'm really impressed with them having complete runs for things like Hicksman FF.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Hmm the iPad app is a lot better for Scribd, it's a glorified pdf reader, but it's workable. I'm really impressed with them having complete runs for things like Hicksman FF.

They've got entire runs for a lot of books actually, including the Marvel Transformers run, which is really cool. Plus as a "Netflix for comics", they've got Marvel as the blockbusters, IDW for the stuff you loved as a kid and wanna watch for nostalgia, Top Shelf for the arthouse movies, BOOM for the kids, and I dunno, Zenescope for that awful Z-movie you watched because they said you'd give it less than 1 star and you have to know HOW bad it really is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

and I dunno, Zenescope for that awful Z-movie you watched because they said you'd give it less than 1 star and you have to know HOW bad it really is.

Or Skinemax!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Hoping that now that Marvel, IDW, Archie, Valiant, and others all have all you can read style subscriptions that DC will finally jump on so I can read Green Lantern and poo poo.

EDIT: Wow, I would NOT suggest going with Scribd, they're reader is complete rear end and loads pages in a flickery mess.

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 11, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlmightyBob posted:

Hoping that now that Marvel, IDW, Archie, Valiant, and others all have all you can read style subscriptions that DC will finally jump on so I can read Green Lantern and poo poo.

EDIT: Wow, I would NOT suggest going with Scribd, they're reader is complete rear end and loads pages in a flickery mess.

Yeah, it does kind of suck and I suspect my generosity is coming from the fact it's currently free.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My mom found a whole lot of books she wanted to read on Scribd, so it's not a total waste. There's not a lot of stuff on there, and their browser for comics is total garbage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flameingblack posted:

My mom found a whole lot of books she wanted to read on Scribd, so it's not a total waste. There's not a lot of stuff on there, and their browser for comics is total garbage.

As I said viewed under the fact it's free this month. Truthfully, I think I'll just be going back to Marvel Unlimited.

Oh why the hell can the Marvel App for Android not have an only download on Wifi option (besides system settings to prevent background downloads)?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

The reader is... pretty bad, yeah. And their UI could be better. But I actually thought there was a pretty huge amount of stuff there. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. I'm mostly interested in a lot of the IDW, Boom and Dynamite licensed stuff. I guess maybe if you're looking for Marvel stuff it's less good?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

As far as I know Scribd serves epubs, which are a pretty good format for text and a pretty crap format for comics. If this turns out successfully perhaps they'll unveil some fancy new format specifically for comics.

I bet it would be okay on an iPad. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be too useful.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The best outcome of the Scribd thing would be if it motivated Amazon to add comiXology unlimited to Prime or something amazing like that. A man can dream :allears:

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

The best outcome of the Scribd thing would be if it motivated Amazon to add comiXology unlimited to Prime or something amazing like that. A man can dream :allears:

Hell I'd pay a separate subscription from Prime for comixology unlimited.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casyl posted:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Casyl posted:

That would be great but there are so many publishers it would probably be a tiny percentage of it. As long as it was good stuff though...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

As far as I know Scribd serves epubs, which are a pretty good format for text and a pretty crap format for comics. If this turns out successfully perhaps they'll unveil some fancy new format specifically for comics.

I bet it would be okay on an iPad. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be too useful.

I've been using epubs for stuff from Humble Bundles because they're small, and they've been fine in the app I use, barring one problem with a Sabrina collection from the Archie bundle. A good reader is way more important than the format.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lifehacker updated their Android Comic Reader list with this one that I haven't seen before. Looks like it has a nice design, ties into Dropbox, and does some library management. I like that it scans for CBRs instead of having to manually put in file paths.
http://lifehacker.com/the-best-comic-reader-app-for-android-511597116

It looks cool. Unfortunately, it's not working on my Nook (it says the book is loaded, but I just see blank pages). Maybe someone else would be interested.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Uthor posted:

I'd say issues 8, 9, and 10, the ones written by Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Dave Sim.

This was really good advice, and now I'm hooked enough on the mythology to want to read more Spawn.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

lifg posted:

This was really good advice, and now I'm hooked enough on the mythology to want to read more Spawn.
If you let yourself be taken in by the 90's, it's a hell of a ride. I read all the issues up to current in ~2006 or so, I had a lot of fun.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Flameingblack posted:

If you let yourself be taken in by the 90's, it's a hell of a ride. I read all the issues up to current in ~2006 or so, I had a lot of fun.

Oh god I picked up the first bundle.

Can it possibly be more 90s than Witchblade? I enjoyed large swathes of that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Spawn still has one of my favorite panels of all time. A child killer is released from prison and is unable to be prosecuted despite continuing to commit crimes (he uses an ice cream truck to lure kids in), leads to Spawn finding him -

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
90s as gently caress.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Judging by the hair, poor Commissioner Gordon found himself in the wrong police department.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

90s as gently caress.

The HBO animated series was pretty badass.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The HBO animated series was pretty badass.

In fairness a large part of that was soley due to Keith David.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there a simple way to make comics in PDF or CBZ form readable on an iPad? (disclaimer: I have never used an iPad and I'm not even sure what a CBZ file is, please keep it very simple.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Check the first few posts on the first page. There were some iOS recommendations given.

A CBZ file is just a zip file full of jpgs and renamed. You can change it to zip and extract the images if you want, or put images into a zip and rename it to CBZ to make your own.

CBR is the same thing, but a rar file instead of a zip.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The OP isn't actually very useful for specific apps. I've got Comic Zeal on my iPad and it seems okay for CBR/CBZ and the OP recommends Comic Flow, so try both maybe? For PDFs in general, GoodReader is by far the best, though I don't know if it's the best for comics PDFs, specifically. It does way more than just read PDFs, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The OP isn't actually very useful for specific apps. I've got Comic Zeal on my iPad and it seems okay for CBR/CBZ and the OP recommends Comic Flow, so try both maybe? For PDFs in general, GoodReader is by far the best, though I don't know if it's the best for comics PDFs, specifically. It does way more than just read PDFs, too.

I made a note to myself to update the OP after work today. If you have some good suggestions for apps, let me know. I don't use iOS, so I don't have any experience with any of those apps.

I was going to add info about comiXology backups and the Scrib thing. Is there anything else that should be in there?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I use Cloudreader. It's not great and there are probably better apps but I've been using it for years and it's simple and reliable

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Zoe posted:

Is there a simple way to make comics in PDF or CBZ form readable on an iPad? (disclaimer: I have never used an iPad and I'm not even sure what a CBZ file is, please keep it very simple.)

ComicZeal for iPad is very usable for CBRs and CBZs. If you download a CBZ, you can use iTunes to load it directly into your iPad ComicZeal library. I think these instructions are basically accurate, and once you've done it once, it's simple: https://comiczeal.tenderapp.com/kb/getting-comics-onto-your-device/loading-comics-using-usb-itunes-file-sharing

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

onefish posted:

ComicZeal for iPad is very usable for CBRs and CBZs. If you download a CBZ, you can use iTunes to load it directly into your iPad ComicZeal library. I think these instructions are basically accurate, and once you've done it once, it's simple: https://comiczeal.tenderapp.com/kb/getting-comics-onto-your-device/loading-comics-using-usb-itunes-file-sharing

I like Comic Zeal so much I even use it for files I download from Comixology (as I like having everything in a single app, if possible). Side-loading into it via iTunes is a breeze, too.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Ipad's built-in iBooks works great with PDFs. I use it a lot.

The downsides are it's not built for organizing/sorting tons of comics, and it doesn't use metadata nearly as well as it should.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shitshow posted:

I like Comic Zeal so much I even use it for files I download from Comixology (as I like having everything in a single app, if possible). Side-loading into it via iTunes is a breeze, too.

Wait how can you use Comixology files in anything else?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Wait how can you use Comixology files in anything else?

Some publishers let you download PDF or CBZ copies when you buy from Comixology. Image, Archie and IDW are the big ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comic Zeal is nice because it sets up a server to let you directly load comics into it rather than having to deal with iTunes.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Endless Mike posted:

Comic Zeal is nice because it sets up a server to let you directly load comics into it rather than having to deal with iTunes.

When I tried that the comics imported were really compressed and looked horrible compared to just using iTunes. Did I miss something in the setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shameless posted:

When I tried that the comics imported were really compressed and looked horrible compared to just using iTunes. Did I miss something in the setup?

I dunno, it worked fine when I did it. Didn't seem to require any setup other than opening a webpage in the browser.