Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Kickstarter Gaming - I've moved to my uncle's countryside estate, to convalesce

I'm not even sure what that whole thing is about, it sounds like the rantings of a crazy Sovereign Citizen poo poo. I thought only Americans and Canadians did that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I hate everyone involved in that Kickstarter.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Great Joe posted:

If anything has gotten easier over the years, it's making maps and resources for those maps. Licensing engines like Crytek 3, Unreal Engine 4 or Unity 3D costs less than the price of some games, and the tools they come with are constantly being updated. There's also more and more resources coming out every day on how to build your own mapmaking tools that make the process painless. You can make a game with handmade levels in just a few years with a 2-5 person team. That's a fact.

Nah I wouldn't say level making has really gotten much easier in the last ten years. Ten years ago you would have had GUI tools that allowed someone to build maps without needing a programming background but it also would have required a specialized skill set to do well. Today it is about the same. If you are an artist or a programmer you may not be much of a level designer without a lot of learning. Also Unity is actually a pretty crappy level builder.

Making 3d art has gotten easier, but bringing it all together in a map is still a huge task. We also aren't just talking about throwing together building prefabs to make a street but crafting the gameplay flow as well. If you are a small indie team of 4 or 5 people with everyone already wearing multiple hats adding making maps to someone's plate is a pretty hefty burden. Especially as its the kind of task that doesn't necessarily get too much faster over time. Every map is still a long process even after you have completed dozens. There's a reason even AAA games with small maps have whole teams for the process.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Level editors probably have a lot to do with it.

Back when I played / modded Jedi Knight in ye olde days of 1998, there were a couple of map editors to choose from: JED or JKEdit. As I recall, JKEdit was more like modern editors, where there was initially nothing - you enclosed areas to make rooms and such. This seemed harder to me, but others picked it up easier.

JED was the complete opposite: you sculpted the level in a 3-D environment, extruding areas as needed and cleaving them into bits. Really, that's how it worked - you could click & drag to cut some arbitrary angle through areas of the game world. Then you could delete bits and form shapes, etc. Because of this, Alexei Novikov (the JED author), was able to add model editing / exporting for the game into JED. It was pretty loving cool, and I liked it quite a bit.

I haven't really seen anything like it since, but I can't say I've been looking too hard into level editing these days.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 12, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

More Molyneux:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

First question of this interview:

quote:

RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't often read gaming news sites, but when I do, it's RPS, and it's because they ask the questions that matter. :3:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I think the rest of the interview would work better if they didn't start with a straight-up insult.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megazver posted:

I think the rest of the interview would work better if they didn't start with a straight-up insult.

Yeah. Come on. Everyone knows you leave the insults to the end, when you've got everything you need out of them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That's a good interview and RPS owns.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
It's not an insult if it's true.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's kinda sad, because PM has obviously been beaten into the ground over the past week, but at the same time, he's been doing this same song and dance for 15 years. And he doesn't learn. Maybe he won't even learn from all this and in a year or so he'll start back up with whatever new thing he's working on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's a train wreck of an interview.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I think he's sorta banking on someone with actual talent or financial prowess will take the plunge on his projects and realize the vision for him. Unfortunately, there's not really a lack of "idea guys" these days.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Well that's a train wreck of an interview.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yodzilla posted:

That's a good interview and RPS owns.

Yep. I'd almost feel sorry for him a bit if it wasn't for how stridently he defended his poo poo. "But I believed it!" If video games were born out of pure belief and that's it, we'd not have these issues. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's an honesty thing. You can say "we WANT to do this" or "we are TRYING to do that" as much as you'd like but don't take people's money while saying "we ARE doing this" and then later come out and try to retcon your story.

For the record I do think the industry is better with Molyneux in it, I just wish he'd realize what he's saying and...not say those things.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I think what's really taken this to whole different level is that story of the kid who won Curiosity and how he was basically forgotten before he'd even left their offices. If you care so little about somebody you met face to face and who you made direct promises to, how do you feel about a random group of people you've never met before?

Well, that and how they elevated a backer-turned-intern to the level of lead designer after everyone else bailed on the project. Maybe he's a talented guy, I don't know, but the visuals of it are just awful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Great Rumbler posted:

It's kinda sad, because PM has obviously been beaten into the ground over the past week, but at the same time, he's been doing this same song and dance for 15 years. And he doesn't learn. Maybe he won't even learn from all this and in a year or so he'll start back up with whatever new thing he's working on.

Yeah I'm pretty positive he'll learn nothing from this.

Peter Molyneux is literally Cartman from that one episode of South Park where he reconstructs history to make it so that he came up with the Fish Sticks joke when in reality he had nothing to do with it.

Great Rumbler posted:

I think what's really taken this to whole different level is that story of the kid who won Curiosity and how he was basically forgotten before he'd even left their offices. If you care so little about somebody you met face to face and who you made direct promises to, how do you feel about a random group of people you've never met before?

Well, that and how they elevated a backer-turned-intern to the level of lead designer after everyone else bailed on the project. Maybe he's a talented guy, I don't know, but the visuals of it are just awful.

That's definitely what pushes PM over the edge from me to "hilariously incompetent" to "full-blown douchetard". Promising and failing to deliver on software projects can happen, although after making a career of it he should really loving know better. Read a book dude. But still, promising to some kid that you're going to change his life and then not talking about it for years? Holy poo poo that's low.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It wasn't the interview he wanted, but it sure as gently caress was the interview he deserved.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
RPS could have tried to get some information about what went wrong with Godus' management and devlopment, but instead they opted for sneering and high fives. It's a bad interview.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its really funny that all they had ready for him at the office was playing a lovely unfinished game before dumping him in a bar and letting an intern sort him out

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DolphinCop posted:

RPS could have tried to get some information about what went wrong with Godus' management and devlopment, but instead they opted for sneering and high fives. It's a bad interview.
I thought the interviewer was trying to be reasonable but then PM would go off on these long rambling excuses.

Do you honestly believe PM's mind exists enough in the real world to actually be able to identify what went wrong with development?

This stuff is good because it makes it much less likely anyone will give him money to make games anymore.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DolphinCop posted:

The RPS interviewer went into the interview with every intention of asking those questions, but the development was troubled and some questions had to be cut or altered.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The interviewer's questions are framed in a very emotional and confrontational way. They don't seem to have much thought put into them but more made up on the spot like emotional reactions. Like a fanboy interviewinginterrogating their favorite subject after they've been let down. After about the halfway point with the "flawed human" discussion, it sounds less like an interview and more like a "I'm right, you're wrong" forum argument.

Nearly every question could have been phrased better not to immediately put Molyneux on the defensive, emotionally. It's a good journalistic tactic to unsettle the subject but you gotta finesse it, not beat the guy over the head with it. Molyneux was clearly considering what the outcome of this interview was early on and I think that's the only reason why he didn't hang up on this guy. I'm glad it's a transcript so both sides of this interview could be seen.

That said: I certainly hope Molyneux learns the right lesson from this though: People are sick of his poo poo. He may not be lying but he should start considering how he states things matters.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

That said: I certainly hope Molyneux learns the right lesson from this though: People are sick of his poo poo. He may not be lying but he should start considering how he states things matters.

If he didn't learn it from the previous fifteen years, what made you think he's learning it now? All he learned was that you can coast on long past accomplishments for quite awhile by extracting money from the young and gullible

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kalli posted:

If he didn't learn it from the previous fifteen years, what made you think he's learning it now? All he learned was that you can coast on long past accomplishments for quite awhile by extracting money from the young and gullible

I don't think he's ever had a sustained period of focused criticism like this before? There's no publisher here to protect him and deflect it either.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't think he's ever had a sustained period of focused criticism like this before?
I sure hope it works, but it probably won't.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

The interviewer's questions are framed in a very emotional and confrontational way. They don't seem to have much thought put into them but more made up on the spot like emotional reactions.

That's John Walker for you. He has been a sanctimonious buzz kill on the RPS website for years. Even when he wrote for PC gamer like ten years ago he was always whinging about the longest journey and fawning over its protagonist. He is a total bore and I stopped going to RPS because of his constant soapboxing. Still Molyneaux is a prat too. Glad I avoided Godus in the end, you nearly had me though Peter, nearly!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Peter Molyneux is a fraud and that interviewer is a hack, a match made in heaven.

It's like those local news journalists who ambush accused scam artists in restaurant parking lots and badger them with the most incendiary and offensive questions ever, just so they can film the reactions.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
A videogame journalist essentially grabbing a developer by the collar and throttling them while yelling "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" is a breath of fresh air, honestly. I didn't learn anything from the interview but it made for great entertainment.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Was it a good interview in an academic sense? Nope, not even close. Was it a great article? Hell yeah.

Also, Project Scissors is at ~50% with just over a week to go. I'm guessing it'll be a no-go.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

DolphinCop posted:

We don't need an interview to tell us what went wrong, because we know what went wrong:
-PM does not know, and never has known, how expensive games are to make
-PM does not know, and has never known, how hard most of game development is
-PM has never had any qualms about exaggerating about anything, because he assumes (quite possibly correctly) that that's what brings the money in
-PM therefore claimed he could do things that weren't possible, with an amount of money so low that it wouldn't even cover development of a simple, non-risk-taking game of the genre, and just assumed everything would turn out somehow by magic.
When the game saving magic failed to arrive, he essentially cancelled the PC version and put all his money into the only version that stood to make money right away, the iOS one. And it has to be said, this decision was and is the correct call for his company.
The only reason the poo poo's hit the fan now is that until he announced his new project, he could still lie and say that he had the majority of his developers working on the PC version.

So yeah, we don't need an interview to establish what went wrong with Godus. Instead we got a much more interesting interview about why it went wrong: PM himself, and why he seems to believe and think what he does.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

mitochondritom posted:

That's John Walker for you. He has been a sanctimonious buzz kill on the RPS website for years. Even when he wrote for PC gamer like ten years ago he was always whinging about the longest journey and fawning over its protagonist. He is a total bore and I stopped going to RPS because of his constant soapboxing. Still Molyneaux is a prat too. Glad I avoided Godus in the end, you nearly had me though Peter, nearly!

Was he the one who tried to tell Rhianna Pratchett that she'd misinterpreted the story of that Tomb Raider game? Y'know, the story that she loving wrote?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

I'm not sure what difference that would make now. Molyneux's burnt his last bridge.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's pretty valid to tell an author you may have intended X but elements blah seem to support something different.

If you've ever been in creative writing classes you know a lot of people don't write what they mean to write in a scary insight into a dude you have to sit near kind of way.

I think this is it for Molyneux. I know people like to point to Star Citizen and dodgy kickstarters but surely this is beyond coming back.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Peter Molyneux is a fraud and that interviewer is a hack, a match made in heaven.

It's like those local news journalists who ambush accused scam artists in restaurant parking lots and badger them with the most incendiary and offensive questions ever, just so they can film the reactions.

I didn't see anything in that interview that I don't see regularly in any discussion between people who know even a portion of the drama. The only new thing might be that it's one of the few times it was explicitly asked of the man himself.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
No new information, just a public shaming. I felt kind of squicked out by the time I got to the end of that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
People who take money for a game and abandon it while trying to push the blame onto everyone else deserve a public shaming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Law posted:

No new information, just a public shaming. I felt kind of squicked out by the time I got to the end of that.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

People who take money for a game and abandon it while trying to push the blame onto everyone else deserve a public shaming.

People who run a contest and promise a boy they're going to change his life and then forget to so much as call him back definitely deserve a public shaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

He deserves all of that shaming. He's earned every bit of it.