Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MorsAnima posted:

On that topic, everyone's WL should be cleared, and CCP need to implement watchlist request. Someone wants you on it, they send a request that you're free to decline. So dumb you can instantly and anonymously know who is online everywhere.

I don't like the WL request idea very much because it would end up very spammy.

Instead I would put a little checkbox on the character select screen, which when ticked makes you stay offline on anyone's watchlist. Basic "invisible" status from an IM chat, which is what the WL is meant to mimic.

That makes it completely unreliable for traps like lone titans, or monitoring the escalation characters in a hole, which I think are the worst ways that WLs get abused. But when a big null alliance is pinging for supers you might grab intel because someone was careless, or you could even intentionally tell your members to logon visible to scare the other side. If someone wants to know for sure they need eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Removing the watchlist would just make people religiously use locator agents to see if the player they're looking for is moving around. And if there was a checkbox to make yourself offline basically everyone except idiots, newbies, and people bridging would check it

also npc kills in w-space sounds really dumb, i started doing hole poo poo post-change but checking killboards is already powerful enough I can't imagine just being able to look at your chain and figure out exactly where people are ratting

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

nigga crab pollock posted:

Removing the watchlist would just make people religiously use locator agents to see if the player they're looking for is moving around. And if there was a checkbox to make yourself offline basically everyone except idiots, newbies, and people bridging would check it

also npc kills in w-space sounds really dumb, i started doing hole poo poo post-change but checking killboards is already powerful enough I can't imagine just being able to look at your chain and figure out exactly where people are ratting

i am pretty sure locators don't tell you if the target is online or not

i guess you could do two on one person and see if it changed

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Glory of Arioch posted:

i am pretty sure locators don't tell you if the target is online or not

i guess you could do two on one person and see if it changed

Make it so locators only tell you where the target is if they are online

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Get this - the API used to show how many jumps were made into each w-space system. You could look up Dotlan and see what systems in your chain had traffic and NPC kills, from the safety and comfort of your home POS :psyduck:

Getting rid of those two API's was a good thing; you actually have to go and scout out your chain now which means more movement and chances for encounters.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Everyone acknowledges them as good changes now. They only reason they all bitched hardcore was because ccp was taking away the easy option. I bitch when my job takes away the easy option, we're all human after all. They (I wasn't in WHs at the time of the change) all like how it is now; you actually have to work for your safety/kills now.

It does just baffle me that ditching that data from the API was done and the WL issue is allowed to remain, but hey, :ccp: On the topic of locators, they'd be used far more often if the WL wasn't an instant "Is the enemy titan pilot/triage carrier/siterunning fleet/supercap force online" check that can't be fooled. Locators obviously wouldn't work in wormholes either, so there's no way beyond physically scouting to find someone in a wormhole - exactly how it should be.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Removing the watchlist would just make people religiously use locator agents to see if the player they're looking for is moving around.
Most of the time the watchlists are important is when people are just logging on (supers etc) or sitting still (pve, waiting on a bridge, forming a fleet). Using locators to tell you when they're online and moving is often going to be too late. Plus locators have a cooldown.

Using locators to then go and scout in person = good intel.

quote:

And if there was a checkbox to make yourself offline basically everyone except idiots, newbies, and people bridging would check it
Nah, why bother if you're not important? Basically everyone would use it at first, then things would settle down as the watchlist intel method in general becomes unproductive. People would still WL supers just in case, but the average player can continue to ignore watchlist shenanigans just like they do now.

Anyways between yet another spam request and a checkbox I'd take the checkbox. Plus the request method only works if CCP deletes everyone's lists, which I think is what they're reluctant to do.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Generally when I war Dec someone I stay online even when not playing so they don't know my login habits. With supers this is harder

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
In wormholes, WL is pretty ridiculous, even when it isn't high stakes escalations or whatever. WL-ing the top few scoring dudes in the hole you just rolled into is a giant advantage that has no counter other than not logging in. Especially if the corp is small you can probably watchlist all the active PvP guys. It's like another set of eyes, but you didnt have to risk anything for it, which is kind of missing the point of EVE.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Of course, changing how the WL functions, primarily to remove the "free intel right here!" aspect, would piss off a lot of people, CCP would be reluctant to do it. I expect they've definitely considered it plenty over the years though.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

MorsAnima posted:

Of course, changing how the WL functions, primarily to remove the "free intel right here!" aspect, would piss off a lot of people, CCP would be reluctant to do it. I expect they've definitely considered it plenty over the years though.

As in every EVE patch, adapt or rage quit. We raged for days on the Jump Fatigue change but CCP in the end didn't bother much. And now look, most of us (atleast me) are still playing heh, it will piss off alot of people indeed though.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
No WL would be great, because you couldn't ever tell whether you are going to get dropped in a second by 100 supers. I'm sure that would greatly increase the level or risk people are willing to take, and would definitely help sov wars. And since it's easy to run 100 locators on them, and then rerun them, nothing should be a problem. Thankfully, there also only several thousand systems that can be accessed by supers (nullsec and lowsec combined), so it should be perfectly doable to just have a few Sabres logged out here or there, or just go where your locator says 5 of the 100 supers were whenever you started them several minutes ago. And really, what this game needs is more people whose sole spacejob it is to park characters forever in the same place waiting for the one-off change of somebody coming through there while you have it logged in so you can get some decent intel.

Alternatively, we could just not care if you can kill somebody's dank ratting carrier in a wormhole because they only log it in when they do an escalation and have a perfectly recognisable patterns.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Watchlists need to go away because of the ease of using a memory reader or modified client to print watchlist information into a jabber, irc channel, or external data collation tool.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

No WL would be great, because you couldn't ever tell whether you are going to get dropped in a second by 100 supers. I'm sure that would greatly increase the level or risk people are willing to take, and would definitely help sov wars. And since it's easy to run 100 locators on them, and then rerun them, nothing should be a problem. Thankfully, there also only several thousand systems that can be accessed by supers (nullsec and lowsec combined), so it should be perfectly doable to just have a few Sabres logged out here or there, or just go where your locator says 5 of the 100 supers were whenever you started them several minutes ago. And really, what this game needs is more people whose sole spacejob it is to park characters forever in the same place waiting for the one-off change of somebody coming through there while you have it logged in so you can get some decent intel.

Alternatively, we could just not care if you can kill somebody's dank ratting carrier in a wormhole because they only log it in when they do an escalation and have a perfectly recognisable patterns.

I read this. Then I read it again to make sure I understood. You need WL to make sure someone doesn't drop supers on you, but watchlisting a site running group is "meh, who cares" territory. Compelling argument.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Here's why: gently caress wormholes

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Hollow Talk posted:

Instant intel about any pilot without any downside or cost is not a good mechanic. It doesn't have to go away completely, but it shouldn't be free of charge or effort and available anywhere to anyone.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RattiRatto posted:

Nice new scope video from CCP. Seems like the lore in eve is becoming finally interesting

"Bob fundamentalists riot and threaten severe actions"

Sometimes I love CCP. :allears:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

MorsAnima posted:

It's made little difference in time. Originally, sure it made a huge difference, no more free intel in an area that free intel shouldn't exist in. But now? Meh. Leaving sabres in jewholes/major corps is incredibly common, so everyone knows (mostly) what everyone else is up to. Then there's the ever present bullshit-free intel in the form of the watchlist. "6 dudes who run escalations in J# just logged in? Well, funnily enough we have a Sabre in there, heavy armor to central guys."

On that topic, everyone's WL should be cleared, and CCP need to implement watchlist request. Someone wants you on it, they send a request that you're free to decline. So dumb you can instantly and anonymously know who is online everywhere.

Yeah, the watchlist is a pretty loving dumb mechanic as-is. Like, we abuse the poo poo out of it, but only because we abuse the poo poo out of everything that CCP has hosed up until they fix it.

Knowing when an entire super fleet logs in because of watchlist is incredibly overpowered.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Libluini posted:

"Bob fundamentalists riot and threaten severe actions"

Sometimes I love CCP. :allears:

Yeah, I've been wondering, are they actually referencing the Church of the SubGenius?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Here's why: gently caress wormholes anyone, everyone, and the whole loving world.
There. Now you sound more like yourself.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

No he was right the first time.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Ynglaur posted:

Not so much.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Isn't this some really old ship? I swear I've seen it before.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

JohnSherman posted:

Isn't this some really old ship? I swear I've seen it before.

It's a reskin of the Opux Luxury Yacht; only two of them have ever existed.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I'm torn on the WL. One the one hand, it's the only tool highsec gankers have to decide whether or not to aggress someone / whether they've logged off. On the other hand, it's a double edged sword, and I now have a white knight who follows me to different systems trying to interfere with my solo ganks whenever we're both on at the same time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ullerrm posted:

Yes, but can you provide a good solo PVP fit for it?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm torn on the WL. One the one hand, it's the only tool highsec gankers have to decide whether or not to aggress someone / whether they've logged off. On the other hand, it's a double edged sword, and I now have a white knight who follows me to different systems trying to interfere with my solo ganks whenever we're both on at the same time.

Just have them highlighted in local. When they log they disappear from local.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ynglaur posted:

IIRC the luxury yacht was for all intensive purposes, a fancy shuttle.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Nope. (I've looked, trust me.) The ship has literally no bonuses -- you just get its base stats and nothing else. It has a split weapons system. It has the sig radius of a cruiser, but the base HP of a destroyer.

It's a pure hangar queen ship; about the only use I could see for it is a comedy setup for killing frigates. And in that case, I'd rather use a Nereus, or one of the pirate noobships.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ullerrm posted:

the only use I could see for it is a comedy setup for killing frigates.

Post the fit. :colbert:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

darth cookie posted:

Post the fit. :colbert:

Could probably upgrade the EANMs to officer, what's a few more billion on a ship this rare?

(cyno is to call in your triage carriers that are standing by at all times, naturally)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

My fit was similar to Klyiths except that I used an A-type AB and two DDAs. :P

Besides, if you're going to shame people by killing them using a ship where less than one exists for each player in the game, you can already do that -- here's someone killing a frigate using the Itty4Miasmos Quafe Ultra Edition. One was given out to each attendee of Fanfest 2012, iirc.

I haven't seen any serious kills with the Ultramarine Edition, sadly, which is even rarer.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

There's only one left.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/-6866169/

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

The killmail is an exact clone of this Magnate kill, including the timestamp... but with the ship type changed and an additional pilot added. No API verification.

Also, the two people who own the Yachts are very well known (Voogru and Caytlyn Rose); both of them have been winning Eve since far before the date on that killmail.

In other words: "You really think someone would do that, just go on the internet and tell lies?" :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:drat: you just got Flandersed, son.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Also, on today's episode of "Dear Theorycrafters, gently caress You -- Love, CCP":

* Energy Neutralizers and Nosferatus are no longer affected by the powergrid reduction bonus of the Guardian, Basilisk and Etana.

(But hey, they gave some extra grid+cpu to the Ibis, so at least we've got that going for us!)

And on tomorrow's episode of "Dear Industrialists, gently caress You -- Love, CCP":

* The 280mm Howitzer Artillery II turret now requires Morphite to manufacture.

e:

* The Muninn should now be properly be flagged as an armor tanking ship in the ISIS and its own show info.

Oh, CCP, you are adorable :shobon:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 13, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ullerrm posted:

* Energy Neutralizers and Nosferatus are no longer affected by the powergrid reduction bonus of the Guardian, Basilisk and Etana.

What does this mean to the layman?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering, are they actually referencing the Church of the SubGenius?

No, I think they're just referencing wormholer's weird Bob religion. Could be that stuff started as a reference to the Church, though. Weirder things have happened.

Also I like to think that bit about "rioting" was a reference to the wormhole-guys flipping out when CCP corrected that strange bug where the API gave out data about W-Space it wasn't supposed to. For some reason they really didn't like it when CCP went like "Guys sorry, we somehow missed this little bit for years now and are finally getting around to fixing it." :v:

ullerrm posted:

The killmail is an exact clone of this Magnate kill, including the timestamp... but with the ship type changed and an additional pilot added. No API verification.

Also, the two people who own the Yachts are very well known (Voogru and Caytlyn Rose); both of them have been winning Eve since far before the date on that killmail.

In other words: "You really think someone would do that, just go on the internet and tell lies?" :v:

Stuff like this makes me paranoid. True story: Right after my first and only PvP-victory, I got this weird fear someone could be accusing me of faking the killmail in the future (since I'm so goddamn retarded at PvP), so I entered an API-key to verify my only kill just so everyone could see it was real.

quote:

Turret weapon firing sound effects become richer in Tiamat through the addition of aftershock sound for individual shots.

This is my favourite. :3:

As an audio junky, I always go THE GUNS AREN'T LOUD ENOUGH and I have my main's audio settings configured in a way to make the guns sound louder by maxing the gun settings and reducing all other sounds to make the gun audio stand out clearer. So you can see why this makes me happy.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 13, 2015

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

MorsAnima posted:

I read this. Then I read it again to make sure I understood. You need WL to make sure someone doesn't drop supers on you, but watchlisting a site running group is "meh, who cares" territory. Compelling argument.

Think of the WL as EVE's version of an over-the-horizon radar. I can see that it's not perfect, sure, but I have trouble thinking of a replacement.

edit: removed unnecessary snark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

Oh drat, good thing I read this before exporting the EVE Online Weekly where I mentioned this killmail

I could've lost my sponsors for that mishap :staredog:

• Locked thread