Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cornwind Evil posted:

Basically the Doctor expy told the Plutonian that if he used his revealed reality-warping powers to fix stuff that had broken and was going to completely destroy the Earth/everything he'd give him redemption, and then stuff happened and he did it and it was killing him and NotTheDoctor said 'Well I can't redeem you but since your body's breaking down I'm going to use my magic science powers to break apart your essence and warp it into other universes and hopefully it will be reborn as something good' and he did it and the implication is that the split essence made more Superman expys in other comic universes and inspired people in universes where superheros 'couldn't exist' to create them in fiction, including the strong implication that this inspired Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster to create Superman.

...so yeah.

Morrison did it better in All-Star Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All-Star Superman doings things better is usually taken as a given.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Morrison did it better in All-Star Superman.

Straczynski did it better in Rising Stars before either of them, and I'd wager that was what Waid had read.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I hate that kind of ending. Trying too hard to make an ending that wraps things up and make some point and it always feels very lame and takes me out of the narrative. It's like if Walter White travelled back in time to give himself cancer and the final scene is him winking at the camera.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

I hate that kind of ending. Trying too hard to make an ending that wraps things up and make some point and it always feels very lame and takes me out of the narrative. It's like if Walter White travelled back in time to give himself cancer and the final scene is him winking at the camera.

There's also the janky disconnect that a murderer of millions upon millions of people is the inspiration and progenitor for goddamn Superman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak's completely right about Irredeemable in that the first year of it is inspired and filled with promise, but then Waid pisses away every single good idea he had and it loses its way. It's pretty apparent that he had the first year sketched out, the ending figured out (bad as it was), and a very, very rough outline of how he was getting from A to C. Plotlines either go on forever or simply end anti-climactically, like how the whole thing with Survivor, an interesting plot thread that just flat out died without any interesting resolution. Even Incorruptible, which I really liked, suffered a bit. There's a part where Max comes up with a plan to stop Plutonian and his friends are like, "Wow! What a great plan! This will redeem you and everything!" Then the news brought up that Plutonian was defeated and sent off-world, making Max sad. Even when Plutonian came back, the unexplained plan was never brought up. Then the two of them had a big, badass fight with Max whispering something to Plutonian that makes him leave the town on his own accord. Whatever it was was never touched upon.

Getting back on topic, even though I don't have the panels on me, I always liked the bit from the final issue of Incorruptible where it looks like they're all going to die, Jailbait tries to seduce Max and he flatly tells her no because she isn't 18 yet. Then she breaks down crying and runs off because, "This is as old as I'm ever going to get!" Their whole relationship was messed up, but I found that part to be really sad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cornwind Evil posted:

Basically the Doctor expy told the Plutonian that if he used his revealed reality-warping powers to fix stuff that had broken and was going to completely destroy the Earth/everything he'd give him redemption, and then stuff happened and he did it and it was killing him and NotTheDoctor said 'Well I can't redeem you but since your body's breaking down I'm going to use my magic science powers to break apart your essence and warp it into other universes and hopefully it will be reborn as something good' and he did it and the implication is that the split essence made more Superman expys in other comic universes and inspired people in universes where superheros 'couldn't exist' to create them in fiction, including the strong implication that this inspired Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster to create Superman.

...so yeah.

That is pretty boring. Also making your lame Superman ripoff the inspiration for the character is pretty presumptuous.

I really don't get why the Doctor Who guy insisted on having Plutonian fix all the stuff he destroyed, to the point were he rescued him trice. Dude was unstable as hell, it really doesn't seems like a good idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure Max whsipered "Thank you" to the Plutonian, actually.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e X posted:

That is pretty boring. Also making your lame Superman ripoff the inspiration for the character is pretty presumptuous.

I really don't get why the Doctor Who guy insisted on having Plutonian fix all the stuff he destroyed, to the point were he rescued him trice. Dude was unstable as hell, it really doesn't seems like a good idea.

I think he was trying to give Plutonian a shot at redemption, despite the fact that Tony killed an entire nation in front of him in the first arc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think he was trying to give Plutonian a shot at redemption, despite the fact that Tony killed an entire nation in front of him in the first arc.

That's pretty much where the book lost me, yeah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That's pretty much where the book lost me, yeah.

With Tony killing the nation, or Quibit trying to save him? Because I thought "That's what it feels like" was a really effective moment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quibit trying to save him. It was such a stupid way to extend the story past its natural ending.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, yeah, definitely. Although I think the three or so times Plutonian gets captured, put in an inescapable situation, then escapes were stupider ways to extend things.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the touching/inspiring thread, and even though this isn't a panel, it should belong here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress yeah, lil' Wonder Woman, kick that cancer's rear end!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the biggest problem with Irredeemable is that is wusses out of its very concept. The promise of Irredeemable is that it's about Superman snapping. And that's a really frightening and uncomfortable concept. But it's not about Superman snapping. It's about a guy who happens to have Superman's powers who turns out to be an rear end in a top hat. And also all the other superheroes turn out to be assholes. It's not a story about good people snapping or their ethics being challenged. It's just lovely people being lovely.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I could see that being ok. A more realistic and pessimistic world with powers isn't the worst concept. It just doesn't do that well, either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

The Purge 2 counters that by having government agents participate in the purge because not enough regular people were and hinting that it's always been that way.

I only know because I watched the purge 2 after being told it was a good Punisher movie.

It made me want Frank Grillo to be the next Punisher, that's for sure.

Jedit posted:

Straczynski did it better in Rising Stars before either of them, and I'd wager that was what Waid had read.

Rising Stars is one of the biggest, steaming piles of poo poo to ever be printed, stapled and sold as a comic book.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is Irredeemable better than The Boys? I liked the concept on that one but it went off the rails somewhat.. And drat it got disturbing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

priznat posted:

Is Irredeemable better than The Boys? I liked the concept on that one but it went off the rails somewhat.. And drat it got disturbing.
The Boys is pretty consistent. Its a gorefesr cynicbomb from start to end.

Irredeemable starts off well but goes on for too long. There's a whole arc that's entirely forgettable. Basically once you have the crazy Superman not instakilling folks it gets bland.

Also, LoL at the Lois Lane analogue turning around and saying HEy NEWSROoM, THIS rear end in a top hat IVE BEEN DATING IS THE PLUTONIAN. FIRE UP THE PRESSES CUZ IM ABOUT TO WIN ME A PULITZER!

And yes, the worst part of the Irredeemable ending is 'hey, so these guys detonated a bomb whose radiation will kill all life on earth. You can basically manipulate reality, but don't like wish it away. Instead help me make metal as dense as a white dwarf in a black hole, then run it around the earth at superspeed. Great now you have super cancer from the radiation. I'm sending you across the dimensions so you can get a happy ending because you were essentially made to GET poo poo On CONSTANTLY in this reality. Bye!'

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 13, 2015

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the biggest problem with Irredeemable is that is wusses out of its very concept. The promise of Irredeemable is that it's about Superman snapping. And that's a really frightening and uncomfortable concept. But it's not about Superman snapping. It's about a guy who happens to have Superman's powers who turns out to be an rear end in a top hat. And also all the other superheroes turn out to be assholes. It's not a story about good people snapping or their ethics being challenged. It's just lovely people being lovely.

I read the whole run and at some point it really would have been better if it had been intentionally played for laughs(sometime in between lobotomizing 'Jimmy', his arch nemesis confessing true love, and meeting an alien that could literally punch you into last week), "It's Always Sunny in Metropolis". Hell, who wouldn't read a book where sure Superman would always save the day, but sometimes forced Jimmy to marry a monkey just because he was bored, or a bet was involved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I read the whole run and at some point it really would have been better if it had been intentionally played for laughs(sometime in between lobotomizing 'Jimmy', his arch nemesis confessing true love, and meeting an alien that could literally punch you into last week), "It's Always Sunny in Metropolis". Hell, who wouldn't read a book where sure Superman would always save the day, but sometimes forced Jimmy to marry a monkey just because he was bored, or a bet was involved.
So, basically just reading Superdickery then?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I can already read those in my showcases.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Madkal posted:

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the touching/inspiring thread, and even though this isn't a panel, it should belong here.

As someone who lost her mom to cancer less than a year ago, and cringes every time her boyfriend plays DCUO and is up against Chemo, this picture fuckin' rocks. You go, lil' Wonder Woman. :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Someone repost the scene from Waid's Daredevil where Foggy's getting the strength to face his treatment by picturing Daredevil beating up his tumours. :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Someone repost the scene from Waid's Daredevil where Foggy's getting the strength to face his treatment by picturing Daredevil beating up his tumours. :unsmith:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Oh great, now I've been inspired to get cancer

quote:

Only thing I really liked about Wanted is that it's supposed to take place in the real world. Like, we're the one Earth without super heroes because evil won, and erased every trace that they ever existed. It's like Millar got stuck somewhere between Grant Morrison and Frank Miller, and decided to make all these big brained ideas cynical as gently caress.
Right: that's the great idea that got pissed down his leg. I even thought "Joker's" backstory was kicking rear end rad (he was a priest that died, didn't see any light, and just couldn't handle it).
I wanted a story like the Animatrix story "World Record: about the runner who ran so fast he almost broke the Matrix so they crippled him but there's still hope.
Instead we get a 13 year old's idea of "cool" that's so loving lame we see Bizarro picks his nose and Clayface is made of actual poo poo and it's supposed to be bad-rear end that the main character kills a blind old man for making a lame joke.
I got no problem with the swearing, or the sex, or the ending of "this is me loving you in the rear end cause you're being so lame by reading a comic book you neeeerd", or even evil winning: I want a good story that makes use of the setting (though I don't usually read depressing stories about evil winning because I have the real world for that.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It's been a long time since I read Irredeemable (I stopped reading after it passed its third natural stopping point) but I enjoyed the character of Qbit, a straight up ripoff of The Tenth Doctor, who is as much as an example of an unfettered god-like character such as the Doctor as the Plutonian is as an unfettered Superman. Convoluted storylines and all.

My favorite part of the whole thing, (pretty much the highlight where I stopped reading) was when the warlike alien race - the same one that rear end in a top hat in the beginning had been selling out innocent planets to in order to keep them from Earth - entered into a Faustian bargain with Qbit to take Tony into custody, at which point (as either a betrayal or part of the deal, I forget) the aliens threaten Earth, giving the usual 'puny foolish human' speech to Qbit and everything.

Qbit's response was to instantly revoke the alien's access to their interstellar travel technology - which qbit himself invented/perfected - effectively destroying their interstellar empire and certainly destroying any alien warship porting in at that moment. Shut those aliens right up, and the whole scene was way more interesting to me than anything before and what sounds like since that point in Irredeemable.

Qbit causing more problems than solving them while attempting to "redeem" Tony were the parts of Irredeemable I enjoyed most.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, basically just reading Superdickery then?

No, full stories instead of just a cover and an excuse. More like Archer with superpowers.

bobkatt013 posted:

I can already read those in my showcases.

What are these "showcases" you speak of?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

No, full stories instead of just a cover and an excuse. More like Archer with superpowers.

What are these "showcases" you speak of?

He's talking about Showcase Presents a series of large B&W trade paperbacks that reprint old DC comics, primarily from the Silver Age

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dacap posted:

From Next week's Ms Marvel

Chortles posted:

It gets better:

I was out shopping today, and while browsing around in Barnes & Noble, I noticed a trade paperback collecting the first five issues of Ms. Marvel, plus a short vignette from Mavel Now! Point One #1. I remembered these panels that were posted here, and figured, 'What the heck" and picked it up.

Money well spent. :3:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The 'best' part of incorruptible was the reformed super-villain-turned-hero who called herself Hate Crime.

Because she hates crime.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
I've gotta ask... does Lockjaw poop?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blind Melon posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not Ultimate Reed. And probably not WonderMan...

But oddly enough the Beyonder does.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FilthyImp posted:

But oddly enough the Beyonder does.

http://www.rachelandmiles.com/xmen/?p=2696

EDIT: fine, fine

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 15, 2015

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
You know it's trouble when the poo poo can break a table from the toilet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blind Melon posted:

No matter where he is, it always ends up on Dr. Doom's lawn.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of Ms. Marvel and inspiring stuff, some anti-Islamic hate group bought a bunch of ads on San Francisco buses equating Islam with Nazism. :godwin:

Someone out there responded by defacing the ads by pasting images of Ms. Marvel over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of Ms. Marvel and inspiring stuff, some anti-Islamic hate group bought a bunch of ads on San Francisco buses equating Islam with Nazism. :godwin:

Well you really can't fault them for that, the Muslim TV networks have the non-violent extremist speakers that come on speak aboutthe Nazis and how they should properly emulate them to be effective.

You wanna hear about why only Muslim women are superior or how all non-muslims are automatically liars? There's about 5 Networks that cater to that demographic. It's loving weird because you don't see white supremacists talk about the Nazis that much in depth and about arming people for genocide, but yeah it's a real thing that is happening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)