Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Uh, look at the specs. You could easily fit several speeder bikes in the back of a YT-1300. Hell, you could fit more than one Landspeeder in one. The ship is BIG. Like, almost half a football field big. It looks flat, but if you actually think about it in terms of real space, it's almost a two story house. There's plenty of room in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The rules don't really say how much a silhouette 4 ship can carry, but I'd assume you could get at least two speeder bikes or one landspeeder into a YT-1300 without any problems.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I had the exact same speeder question come up last week. I looked at the silhouettes; since it was 4 vs 2, I just decided "yep."

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I'm trying to make a Gand findsman character for a AoR campaign that should be starting next week and every time I do something it doesn't look quite right. How would you guys go about making such a character?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

this episode of Order 66 has a good breakdown, I think : http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Order66/~3/IthqZFQEoNE/Episode43-GettingYourExileOn.mp3

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Without having my book in front of me, I'd say use the survival focused bounty hunter specialization and then buy into the Force Sensitive Exile and pick up only the Sense power. But thats a pretty rough way to do it.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

I meant more while using the EotE or, preferably, the AoR book.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Isn't everything I suggested in the EotE book?

AFAIK AoR doesn't have Gands, Bounty Hunters (which Findsmen often work as), or the Jedi sense power (which is the closest equivalent to the Findsman rituals I'm aware of).

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

I mean: "no force stuff" because no one in our group has the force stuff book.

It does look like bounty hunter/survivalist might work better than soldier/sharpshooter that I was trying to work with.

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 13, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Force Sensitive Exile is in EotE, that's why he recommended it.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Force Sensitive Exile is in EotE, that's why he recommended it.

Oh sorry I wasn't aware of that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rannos22 posted:

Oh sorry I wasn't aware of that.

Yep, EotE and AoR each included one Force tree specifically to stick onto otherwise non-Force-y characters, both as a teaser of the Force stuff to come in F&D and also to help represent characters like Luke who didn't come into Jedi-ness til later in life. Luke, in my mind, is some flavor of Colonist who picked up Recruit and Force Emergent in ANH, Pilot between ANH and ESB, and one of the actual Jedi trees during ESB.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Kinda sad that FFG doesn't try and make stat blocks for heroes but on the other hand with Wizards did it you had characters that took 3 or 4 classes and just generally looked crazy.

On the other hand the talent tree thing should make it possible to due in the FFG systems, and how great would it be to have Luke or Han or Leia shooting stormtroopers with your party, or to just like, encounter Darth Vader or something like that.

Does anyone use Specialization Decks in their games? I'm getting them for all my players because I think it will reduce time spent staring at books looking up powers, but curious to see what other GMs and players think.

This is my second attempt at running a Star Wars game. The first was Saga edition and I tried to make up my own story and it fell flat out of the gate because I underestimated what the players could do and also was not ready for the things they would ask ("What's the name of the planet we're on?" "Holy poo poo I never thought of that what is wrong with me"). Hoping this time starting out with pre-written adventures should go more smoothly. I've still got all the name generators from Wizards first edition stuff though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone use Specialization Decks in their games? I'm getting them for all my players because I think it will reduce time spent staring at books looking up powers, but curious to see what other GMs and players think.
Specialization Decks (and almost all "Powers Decks" for all games) are hilarious ripoffs; if you just write the talent down on your character sheet, you get the benefit of knowing what the talent does, along with not having to flip through/drop/lose all those cards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Kinda sad that FFG doesn't try and make stat blocks for heroes but on the other hand with Wizards did it you had characters that took 3 or 4 classes and just generally looked crazy.

On the other hand the talent tree thing should make it possible to due in the FFG systems, and how great would it be to have Luke or Han or Leia shooting stormtroopers with your party, or to just like, encounter Darth Vader or something like that.

This is my second attempt at running a Star Wars game. The first was Saga edition and I tried to make up my own story and it fell flat out of the gate because I underestimated what the players could do and also was not ready for the things they would ask ("What's the name of the planet we're on?" "Holy poo poo I never thought of that what is wrong with me"). Hoping this time starting out with pre-written adventures should go more smoothly. I've still got all the name generators from Wizards first edition stuff though.

I'm of two minds on the spec decks. One the one hand, they're super handy. Pair the cards with small snap-together deckboxes and you can just hand your players everything they need to play (this would also be good for slapping together a pre-gen for a convention game, one-shot, etc). They make a nice physical reference for players so they can see exactly what they can do at any time.

On the other hand, they're too pricey (I would LOVE some manner of bundle pricing for picking up, say, every deck for a given career, or some kind of 'buy all the decks your party needs and get a discount') and most of the character generation programs have some manner of output for "here's all the talents you have", making them rather redundant unless you've literally just gone full stock-by-the-book and aren't using any external aids. Also, as far as I know, duplicate talents on a tree just use the same art with the new cost printed on it. They missed a chance to have, say, each successive version of Grit on a tree have the same drawn character getting more and more tough-looking.

On this third hand that just sprouted from my chest, I just know that if I ever started buying into spec decks, I'd want to own them all just so I could have them handy whenever one of my players bought a new tree/we add a new player/start a different campaign, etc, and that's just not a path I want to go down.

EDIT: If you're a new GM to the system, do yourself a favor and use OggDude's character generator. Its SO handy. Dunno about anyone else, but I sometimes get bogged down in the math of how much each level of a skill should cost, etc etc, so having a program do it for me is super handy. OggDude is great about updating it (current release has everything except Lords of Nal Hutta info) and he's generally pretty responsive to feature requests too.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 13, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I've always had my players keep a plastic pocket of their character sheet/notes/etc and just print out the specialization trees if they buy them so they can tick off what they have. I've not really seen the need behind getting the card.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If you use the character generator I linked a few posts back, it prints your sheet out with the spec talent lists.

You'll need some :filez: to make sure they don't just print out with "See page X of the Core Rulebook" as the talent description, though. Unfortunately you need an account here to get them.

e: f,b

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Adversary decks are worth it, in my opinion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

The Adversary decks are worth it, in my opinion.

Agreed. Yeah, you can always just stat things out yourself in advance, but they're so nice to have when your players decide to go off the rails and you need someone for them to talk to and/or fight.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've made my own adversary deck for that very reason. It includes a Mon Calamari gun runner that is always a fun time doing the voices for.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I only have EotE, is it possible to take trees from different books? Like if I wanted to make a Mercenary Soldier and for whatever reason I wanted to buy levels of Ace or some other AoR tree, could I? What happens with Duty and Obligation then? Do I stick with my original? Do I get both?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That really depends on if your GM will let you take those trees. There is nothing mechanical that says you can't, just like with the Force trees in F&D.

As for duty and obligation, that's usually either gained and lost through the story rather than mechanically.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Duty is something you have as a result of being a character in an AoR campaign, not as a result of having careers and specs from the AoR rulebook. There's nothing stopping you from taking an AoR career/spec as long as your GM doesn't have an issue with it, just like there's nothing stopping you from straight up using AoR careers/specs in an EotE game or vice versa.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
Just be careful, since some of the different Specs are unique or so similar you would not be getting a lot of bang for your buck. And, no, I can't recall which ones. Sorry.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

KJDavid posted:

Just be careful, since some of the different Specs are unique or so similar you would not be getting a lot of bang for your buck. And, no, I can't recall which ones. Sorry.

Also some of them have the same abilities that stack and can give you access to twice as many of them as you should be able to. Getting at least 4 levels of, for example, Nobody's Fool, can make a face character into a walking lie detector with only Palpatine being able to lie to them. Or having to get quickdraw three times can be a wast of XP.

But all it takes is a bit of a sanity check and most work together OK.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If a talent is unranked, you are always counted as having it, so you can skip over it in a tree if you already have it. It's kind of an obscure rule, but it's there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

If a talent is unranked, you are always counted as having it, so you can skip over it in a tree if you already have it. It's kind of an obscure rule, but it's there.

Moreover, I believe the character builder linked above actually catches this for you. In some cases, doing a specialization that you already own a bunch of from a prior one can be great, since you can get to another Dedication that much faster.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FishFood posted:

Yeah, you don't have to pay for a talent twice.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

KJDavid posted:

At least one of them (Smuggler/Pilot and Ace/Pilot) is considered to be the same spec, so you're not allowed to take it twice anyway, so it doesn't work as a fast way to double up on ranked Talents.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5367

Another Fly Casual preview

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am very very okay with all of that. Gotal and Faleen have been on my wish list for a while now, and I really like the look of the gambler and charmer specs. I could take or leave gunslinger, but hey, now you can make Cad Bane I suppose.

My only complaint is that it really feels like the career should be called Scoundrel, with Smuggler as a spec within that. But that's an issue with the base book, not this supplement.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Quarren are awesome, and Quarren who wear cowboy hats are even more awesome.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drone posted:

Quarren are awesome, and Quarren who wear cowboy hats are even more awesome.

FFG gets it.

I'm so hyped for fly casual. Smugglers were the class that needed a bit of love in the tree department.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Currently taking a pizza break while playing Age of Rebellion Beginners game with my mate and our 2 kids and one of their friends (8-10 yr olds). They are blown away by how much they are enjoying it. Highlight so far has been charming a battle droid by chatting about a love of mops and a life long career ambition to be a janitor.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Currently taking a pizza break while playing Age of Rebellion Beginners game with my mate and our 2 kids and one of their friends (8-10 yr olds). They are blown away by how much they are enjoying it. Highlight so far has been charming a battle droid by chatting about a love of mops and a life long career ambition to be a janitor.

:shobon:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Serotonin posted:

That's just fantastic. :3:

One of my best roleplaying attempts involved trying to pass myself off as a janitor, so go figure.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Serotonin posted:

Its a B1/OOM Battle Droid, isn't it? :v:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a B1/OOM Battle Droid, isn't it? :v:

Heh.

What a success that was- first time role playing for all the kids, and they took to it like ducks to water, obviously with some direction from myself as one of the players to keep them on track and help them problem solve. Had some very cinematic incidents, brooms and janitors aside, including a speeder bike joust that ended with one of the kids side-swiping a biker scout, leaning across and plunging his knife into the control mechanism to cause the bike to spin off out of control.

Very impressed with the dice system, the kids soon got the hang of it, and could easily sort out their dice pools as well as getting the hang of 'spending' advantages. Looking forward to GMing Edge of Empire now with my bunch of mates.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I wish my nieces were less girly and more dorky and I could do this sort of stuff with them. Sounds awesome. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I wish my nieces were less girly and more dorky and I could do this sort of stuff with them. Sounds awesome. :unsmith:

Teach them to expand their horizons beyond their proscribed gender roles and shoot some fuckin' lasers.