Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheQat posted:

so now the way is open for Black/Sing/Bulldog/Mynuts/Funn1k team??

i have no fuckin idea

Black 1
Funn1k 2/3?
Bulldog 2/3?
SingSong 4/5
Mynuts 4/5

That sounds... awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Any team with wayto on it is pretty much destined to fail from the get-go, which is a shame because I like Jerax and qojqva is pretty good too.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Seriously though, patsoul?

Why?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

mikeraskol posted:

Seriously though, patsoul?

Why?

Have you seen his KDA dude

(how the hell is his KDA this lopsided, what's the catch here)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Have you seen his KDA dude

(how the hell is his KDA this lopsided, what's the catch here)

I feel like he used to abuse poo poo back in the day to get higher MMR and k/d/a. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

He has been playing really well for void boys

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheQat posted:

so now the way is open for Black/Sing/Bulldog/Mynuts/Funn1k team??

i have no fuckin idea

Black/sing/cwm/bamboe/1437 surely

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Clearly gunning for that Team Liquid sponsorship before TI5 with the name.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jamsque posted:

Clearly gunning for that Team Liquid sponsorship before TI5 with the name.

yeah but whats team liquid without the not-captains blog

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Team wet fart.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Goetta posted:

Was Funnik was one of the Navi guys who hated practicing and whatnot?

Fng said only Dendi plays as much as he himself does (whereas everybody on Polar plays frequently), so I guess so?

Given that DkPhobos is doing a pretty great job playing mid for Polar, and is also one of Dendi's real life friends, I wonder if he will become the new Navi offlane. It's where I'd bet my rares (or uncommons anyhow), since Navi doesn't look like it wants to part with the 2for1 of Dendi and Havost.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Maybe one day, in the distant future, qojqva will be on a real team.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

What's does every bad team that Qojqva has been on have in common? Qojqva.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it doesn't seem good for your team if you have to have standins for core.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
All the combinations of players on the last few pages, real or theoretical, are terrible and trigger me greatly

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

They finally kicked singsong and may have a chance at winning something.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Voted Worst Mom posted:

All the combinations of players on the last few pages, real or theoretical, are terrible and trigger me greatly

TheRat posted:

Black/sing/cwm/bamboe/1437 surely

But this one is both real and theoretical

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

But this one is both real and theoretical

The ultimate trigger

E: Holy poo poo, bamboe is only 23. I thought he'd be much older.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
1437 is coaching Secret right now, isn't he? I bet he makes more doing that than he would playing for a third or fourth tier EU/NA team.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jamsque posted:

1437 is coaching Secret right now, isn't he? I bet he makes more doing that than he would playing for a third or fourth tier EU/NA team.

I mean what are the tiers even anymore?

1-EG, Secret, C9?
2-VP-Polar, VP...Navi? Hellraisers?

Like the scene as a whole in the west is really chaotic now, if you were gonna try to grab a guaranteed NA/EU tourney slot this is like the best time. I'd expect all the money flooding in would work as some sort of stabilizer (especially since with most prize payouts being so topheavy, you need to bet real good) but there's pretty much no stable teams now it seems (although it's likely at least EG and Secret will stay the same until TI5).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

alansmithee posted:

I'd expect all the money flooding in would work as some sort of stabilizer (especially since with most prize payouts being so topheavy, you need to bet real good) but there's pretty much no stable teams now it seems (although it's likely at least EG and Secret will stay the same until TI5).

I think the money is having the exact opposite effect. It's so ridiculously top heavy that anything other than first place is considered a horrible failure. This has teams and players flopping around hoping some miraculous roster change will suddenly make them the #1 team.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the nature of Dota also makes it hard for experienced pro players to really stick together on new teams for a long time. If you think you are an elite player and you aren't winning then blame has to go somewhere else. Ego gets to be a problem, even if it isn't resulting in outward fighting with each other and poo poo.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I mean what are the tiers even anymore?

1-EG, Secret, C9?
2-VP-Polar, VP...Navi? Hellraisers?

Like the scene as a whole in the west is really chaotic now, if you were gonna try to grab a guaranteed NA/EU tourney slot this is like the best time. I'd expect all the money flooding in would work as some sort of stabilizer (especially since with most prize payouts being so topheavy, you need to bet real good) but there's pretty much no stable teams now it seems (although it's likely at least EG and Secret will stay the same until TI5).

1- EG, Secret
2- C9, Asus.Polar,Empire
3- Na'Vi, HellRaisers, NiP, Alliance??
4- PR, VP, Not Today
5- everything else

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I think the TI5 invites might end up being more controversial than usual.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Alliance isn't even tier 3, they lost to some random nobody team 0-2 and either Akke or Loda posted on twitter a really depressed tweet about it.
edit: the people responsible for the invites are probably looking at the Western scene right now and just scratching their heads

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Kainser posted:

I wonder if there will be fewer direct invites and more qualifier spots than previous years.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kainser posted:

They should just invite less teams and have larger qualifiers.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah, I only started keeping up with pro Dota during the TI4 season but 11 invites doesn't feel like a set in stone quantity at all. They probably extended invites to whoever they felt was obviously deserving of one. If that means fewer direct invites this year, I don't see how that's an issue at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ojetor posted:

I think the money is having the exact opposite effect. It's so ridiculously top heavy that anything other than first place is considered a horrible failure.

It's a bit of a quandary. The top has to be appealing to drive players to create entertainment otherwise you get a more prevalent sense of disinterest among the top players (assuming that it's there or a problem, it might not be), but given the potential and the audience's love for upsets/throws it's very unflattering to those who don't win.

I mean, looking at DAC, i feel that certainly any of the top 3 could have won the event, so a more even prize distribution (iirc it was something like approximately 1.2mil to EG, 350k to VG, 250k to secret) probably could have been arranged, but maybe that's the kind of distribution the top players wanted. I know magic pro tour top 8 payouts are a lot more even among the top results (and deal in much smaller sums since individuals and poo poo), but thats probably also due to the (arguably) less deterministic nature of the game.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Alliance isn't even tier 3, they lost to some random nobody team 0-2 and either Akke or Loda posted on twitter a really depressed tweet about it.
edit: the people responsible for the invites are probably looking at the scene right now and just scratching their heads

FTFY

No Safe Word posted:

1- EG, Secret
2- C9, Asus.Polar,Empire
3- Na'Vi, HellRaisers, NiP, Alliance??
4- PR, VP, Not Today
5- everything else

I think it's more like (western only ofc)
1- EG, Secret
C9 Tier - C9
2- Asus.Polar, Empire
who knows tier - everyone else, Asus.Polar with Jimmy Ho
lmao tier - fire

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 13, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Having EG, Secret, C9, Polar and Empire as the current Western (4 EU+1 NA) qualifiers doesn't seem too controversial.

Then add 4 Chinese and 1 SEA/KR and you already have 10 teams.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I know that players were complaining about top-heavy payouts as a direct result of the TI4 pay structure, which was $5M to the winners and $1.5M to the runner-ups. The percentage difference between that payout and DAC's is nonexistent. I would be shocked if the players themselves requested for the prize money to be split anywhere near close to that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I know that players were complaining about top-heavy payouts as a direct result of the TI4 pay structure, which was $5M to the winners and $1.5M to the runner-ups. The percentage difference between that payout and DAC's is nonexistent. I would be shocked if the players themselves requested for the prize money to be split anywhere near close to that.

Oh okay, I didn't want to make an assumption one way or the other. If TI4 was the precedent then yeah thats kind of a poo poo precedent.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Even before TI4 the players were saying that the results are far too top-heavy, even winners of previous TI's have said that. The prize pool in TI4 was so gigantic that even the lower teams still got a decent payout but the percentage difference is way bigger than it should be.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Taffer posted:

Even before TI4 the players were saying that the results are far too top-heavy, even winners of previous TI's have said that. The prize pool in TI4 was so gigantic that even the lower teams still got a decent payout but the percentage difference is way bigger than it should be.

Nah. TI4 was fine.

Maybe the other teams should try harder, this isn't preschool where everyone's a winner.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
When DK won WPC and an interviewer after asked Ice3 how it felt to win a major Chinese tournament, his answer was something close to "It feels alright, but it's really not important because it's not first place at TI and really that's all anyone cares about, because it's so much more than you can make in any other tournament even if you're a good team that wins a lot of tournaments."

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
NiP is really good and certainly better than Alliance. I'd put them in the same category as Navi, Empire, Asus Polar, etc.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If the scene is chaotic in the west then it's hosed in the east of you have teams like newbee who pretty much don't give a poo poo anymore. WC3 custom games and RPGs are all they do apparently.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think I have ever heard any esport player say top heavy prize pools are good and I really wish I knew why companies keep doing it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

If Newbee stays on their current path, do you give them a defending champion invite anyways? It would feel weird to not have the defending champion, but with how packed the field is and how so many teams are busting their asses to compete, it would be really frustrating to invite them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CampingCarl posted:

I don't think I have ever heard any esport player say top heavy prize pools are good and I really wish I knew why companies keep doing it.

Probably because a huge first prize looks good

• Locked thread