Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Tolkien never felt satisfied with his own orcs mainly because they clashed rather strongly with his own religious views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tolkien was very angry that the orcs did not respect nature, or the Mother Goddess, because of his strong Wiccan beliefs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kai Tave posted:

It's really not that hard. Any reason for fighting and/or killing someone is "better" (better as a noble justification, better as "I had no choice," better as a villainous motive, better as more interesting, better for whatever value of better you're looking for) than "I'm killing them because they all have Chaotic Evil stamped on their souls, even the babies but only after I've raised them to a life of Lawful Good so they can go to heaven, it's okay, I can do this because I have Lawful Good on my character sheet and there's nothing hosed up or stupid about this."

I'd go further than that, and say that I'm tired of reasons for fighting that still stem from having written all your enemies as being undeserving of consideration. Forgotten Realms drow are a good example; their society is so monolithically evil, both top-down and bottom-up, that there's no way to deal with them except from a position of total war. Even the nation of half-drow is really just a front for the drow, which is a shame because that could have been cool.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Elfgames posted:

Yeah that's true but i tend to associate the whole Zombies thing with racist rednecks.
You know, I used to argue with this a lot more, but at this point I'm honestly going to admit that there was some really uncomfortable subtext with a lot of post-911 zombie fiction. In the same vein as, say, the 2005 Spielberg version of War of the Worlds. Some terrible things have come from somewhere else to destroy our way of life! Let's pair it all with some really crushingly bleak takes on human nature and this creepy tribalism where everyone is in their own group and gently caress anyone outside of it. (less War of the Worlds for that last part, it's just a film that comes from a very similar... cultural time/place as, say, The Walking Dead comics do). So... it's not all that surprising that the genre struck a cord with racist survival fetish weapon nuts who just want to fantasise about gunning people down with machine guns or whatever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Er, no, because the main thing about zombies is that they're still "people" to a certain extent. The terrible part of zombie fiction comes from all the creeps who just really want to gun down people in the city and barely go "OK BUT THEY'RE ZOMBIES" as their excuse. It's this poo poo.

The whole point of those orcs is that they actually are an Other. They pretty much have no relation or similarities to any real life culture or people outside of "bipedal."

"They look like us but they're not like us" is not actually a thing that precludes zombies from standing in for an Other, unfortunately.

But you're also hitting on something that I find a lot more interesting. A lot of zombie fiction -- particularly the more modern stuff (The Walking Dead adaptations do not count since it's all still anchored to a comic series that began in 2003) uses them as a metaphor for the abstract concept of death. Or for fear of death, to be more specific -- I mean, technically even with the maybe-this-is-slightly-racist stuff they're a fear metaphor, it's just a fear that should probably be examined a little more closely. Quite a few of the books I've read in recent years have even been like... sort of a rejection of the zombie narratives that dominated most of the early-mid 2000s. Like, in one of the Mira Grant zombie novels, there's a part where a character reflects on how the official military protocol in an outbreak is to stay in a small group, ignore everyone else and never stop to help the wounded and all of this survivalist poo poo. The character then concludes "and if I ever met anyone who actually followed those regulations, I'd shoot the bastard myself."

Basically there's just a much greater diversity of depictions than people who have decided they don't like anything that has this particular kind of monster in it are usually willing to credit. Some of it is awful, some of it is less so.

Tollymain posted:

i never understood why in a magical setting animating a dead body requires a different magic than animating some other body-shaped thing
Well, most fantasy settings do not regard the human body as an object like any other. People are special, lives have significance that, say, a chair does not have. It's basically just that magic is not physics and authors philosophically/emotionally are not thinking of corpses as being the same as a "body shaped thing." A lot of the time reanimating something that used to have a soul involves trapping the soul inside the body or otherwise enslaving it. This is the most common excuse for why necromancers are Bad People We Don't Like, at least.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gazetteer posted:

The character then concludes "and if I ever met anyone who actually followed those regulations, I'd shoot the bastard myself."
I like this, I'm gonna totally use that.

quote:

Well, most fantasy settings do not regard the human body as an object like any other. People are special, lives have significance that, say, a chair does not have. It's basically just that magic is not physics and authors philosophically/emotionally are not thinking of corpses as being the same as a "body shaped thing." A lot of the time reanimating something that used to have a soul involves trapping the soul inside the body or otherwise enslaving it. This is the most common excuse for why necromancers are Bad People We Don't Like, at least.

One thing about necromancy that's boring and lame is how they're always enslaving bodies and souls. They're like the Orcs of magic users.

What if Necromancy and Necromancers raised bodies back to life, and put their soul back in them, but refused to do it to unwilling souls? What if they were 'good guys'?
Like you have an odd "family tradition" where you use the preserved remains and spirits of departed relatives who volunteer to serve the family in death for a time, your Great Aunt Mary animating a golem and fighting off a troll, but also taking you to task for being too thin and not eating enough. So you'd have 'good' undead and 'bad' undead. Sort of like publicopinion's idea about spirits animating a cool enough body on their own.

What if zombies and other evil dead were caused by dark spirits stealing the bodies of townsfolk, or merging multiple corpses of various animal, monsters, and people into shambling abominations? Then it's up to the Necromancer to banish those spirits and lay those bodies to proper rest with the help of his family, some of whom were powerful Necromancers in their own time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Those sort of good guy necromancers and undead are in the Sacrred Lands setting by White Wolf and Tomb Kings in Warhammer Fantasy.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

Of course Pathfinder is also the game full of fantasy racist stereotypes like conniving, thieving Gypsies and spearchucking not-Africans, ridiculous romance subsystems, and hillbilly rape-ogres. Yes, I've heard the whole "they're moving past that now" thing but you take the bad with the good, and their "moving past that" doesn't seem to involve a lot of acknowledging and/or refuting the dumb poo poo they've done in the past so much as just quietly hoping people quit bringing it up.

I wish I know which pathfinder book "ANALAGOUS SETTINGS" guy worked on because that was a pro paizo freelancer meltdown

quote:

What if Necromancy and Necromancers raised bodies back to life, and put their soul back in them, but refused to do it to unwilling souls? What if they were 'good guys'?
Like you have an odd "family tradition" where you use the preserved remains and spirits of departed relatives who volunteer to serve the family in death for a time, your Great Aunt Mary animating a golem and fighting off a troll, but also taking you to task for being too thin and not eating enough. So you'd have 'good' undead and 'bad' undead. Sort of like publicopinion's idea about spirits animating a cool enough body on their own.

I've always liked GW2's necromancers - whose minions are flesh constructs who were "never alive" and don't have souls. They are basically really hardcore flesh golem creators. One of the main thematic differences between good necromancers and evil ones / Zhaitan in GW2 is that Zhaitan brings back zombies that still look like dead people, while the good necromancer constructions all look like something else but made of organs, having no resemblance to whatever the flesh belonged to in it's former life.

edit: You could probably get good mileage out of a Necromancer society that refused to work with souls and only used flesh because they saw the spirit as taboo, and an opposing necromancer society that only works with souls and ghosts because the body deserves to rest in a place of honor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PresidentBeard posted:

Those sort of good guy necromancers and undead are in the Sacrred Lands setting by White Wolf and Tomb Kings in Warhammer Fantasy.

Coincidentally, the Tomb Kings are super cool and neat. "Whole nation killed by rear end in a top hat father of Necromancy but that get up with their own will and personality still." is great.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
So like communing with benevolent ancestor spirits? See verbally that feels more like "shamanism" than "necromancy". I know definable subtypes of magic are super arbitrary to begin with, but to me necromancy always implied the creation of tortured ghosts and zombies and whatever from unwilling subjects while other types of magic communicates with afterlife stuff that exists naturally.

This is totally changeable though and to this day I think Planescape: Torment had the best treatment of the undead. Some zombies and skeletons are tied to their original souls and are functionally sapient beings, while most of them are just animated like golems and are only tenuously connected to their original spirits. The sapient ones even form a society in the catacombs to defend the tombs from parasites, and don't really have a problem with you attacking the non-sentient ones in self-defence. Of course, the undead stop being a relevant enemy past, like, level 2 in that game so it doesn't come up very often.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Strictly speaking, necromancy originally did broadly refer to communication with the dead, as "-mancy" is the suffix pertaining to divination/communing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bendigeidfran posted:

So like communing with benevolent ancestor spirits? See verbally that feels more like "shamanism" than "necromancy". I know definable subtypes of magic are super arbitrary to begin with, but to me necromancy always implied the creation of tortured ghosts and zombies and whatever from unwilling subjects while other types of magic communicates with afterlife stuff that exists naturally.

This is totally changeable though and to this day I think Planescape: Torment had the best treatment of the undead. Some zombies and skeletons are tied to their original souls and are functionally sapient beings, while most of them are just animated like golems and are only tenuously connected to their original spirits. The sapient ones even form a society in the catacombs to defend the tombs from parasites, and don't really have a problem with you attacking the non-sentient ones in self-defence. Of course, the undead stop being a relevant enemy past, like, level 2 in that game so it doesn't come up very often.

See, and I always viewed Shaman magic as specifically nature spirits, and occasionally talking to ancestors for guidance. like...you can call a bear spirit to inhabit your body to give you strength, or a wolf spirit for cunning, or uncle bob the famous wise man when you need to figure out these runes, etc. Whereas Necromancy is just 'stuff to do with death and the dead' imo, which does include ghosts (even ghosts of benevolent family members or close friends), but it's pretty distinct. I really like the flesh construct thing mormon star wars brought up.

Or I guess I look at it like Shamans are nature necromancers, and Necromancers are death shamans, if that makes any sense.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Coincidentally, the Tomb Kings are super cool and neat. "Whole nation killed by rear end in a top hat father of Necromancy but that get up with their own will and personality still." is great.

Too bad they totally got chumped in the End Times bullshit. Settra was the only one even given a decent scene of defiance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PresidentBeard posted:

Too bad they totally got chumped in the End Times bullshit. Settra was the only one even given a decent scene of defiance.

The End Times is basically GW throwing their rattle out of the pram about how Storm of Chaos went.

In the alternate future a friend of mine wrote, in the Warhammer equivalent of the early 20th century, archeologists start going to Khemri to do the whole 'early 20th century graverobbing' style of early archeology, only to find the mummies and stuff going "AHEM!" and pointing to the 'No looting rule enforced by scarab curse' sign and instead start just asking the mummies about how life was back in ancient Khemri. Stories of the ancient world and old craftsmanship techniques become the lands' biggest exports. :3:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 13, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've been thinking about non-evil necromancy for the 13th campaign I'm working on, Which is -partly- why I'm working up a set of alternate icons, because "Lich King" kind of implies evil necromancy.

Instead, there's a spirit known as "The Lord of the Crossroads, who appears as the last person to die at a crossroads on the old imperial roads, which were also used as places for executions. Since the empire's been gone for years, this largely means they show up as a pretty chill skeleton, often in a top hat. The Lord's sort of vaguely in charge of things on the boundary, including the boundary between life and death, and likes to make deals.

One of the most common deals is to teach someone the secrets of necromancy.

One of the most common prices for the deals they make is "A period of indentured service after death, usually no more than a few years." So the undead that necromancers summon are people who volunteered for it in exchange for -something- that benefited them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

unseenlibrarian posted:

I've been thinking about non-evil necromancy for the 13th campaign I'm working on, Which is -partly- why I'm working up a set of alternate icons, because "Lich King" kind of implies evil necromancy.

Instead, there's a spirit known as "The Lord of the Crossroads, who appears as the last person to die at a crossroads on the old imperial roads, which were also used as places for executions. Since the empire's been gone for years, this largely means they show up as a pretty chill skeleton, often in a top hat. The Lord's sort of vaguely in charge of things on the boundary, including the boundary between life and death, and likes to make deals.

One of the most common prices for the deals they make is "A period of indentured service after death, usually no more than a few years." So the undead that necromancers summon are people who volunteered for it in exchange for -something- that benefited them.

A little bit Legba, a little bit Samedi. I like that.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

unseenlibrarian posted:

Alternatively, you could make the Lich King a neutral icon like the Dwarf Lord or the Elf Queen and introduce his conflict with various factions being that he claims all undead as subjects. If a necromancer working for the Diabolist raises a zombie, the Lich King knows that it belongs to him. If one of The Three becomes an undead dracolich, the Lich King will demand that dragon bow to him, the lord of the dead. He claims places of death as his territory, so what does it mean when the Lich King opens an embassy in your local graveyard?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ars Magica treats the animation of corpse as just a basic thing you can do if you learn a mix of Rego (control) and Corpus (human body magic), so healers and necromancers have a lot of overlap. You can't animate anything that had a consecrated burial, and souls don't even begin to get involved unless you toss Iin Mentem - and even then, again, anyone who had a consecrated burial or went to Heaven can't be summoned as a ghost. As a result, necromancers often hunt down old pagan burial grounds or old battlefields.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

One neat Lich King interpretation from the early 13th Age thread I remember is where the Lich King rules over a kingdom of relatively happy and peaceful subjects. People lived their full and natural lives and once they died, they joined their ancestors as undead protectors against outside forces or workers for certain jobs where being undead is advantageous.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

BrainParasite posted:

That's what Sidhe said.

okay i think we have a winner (is that the word? are there winners here)

though...

Carrasco posted:

Fae nobles have a really insidheous influence.

I know that's not how sidhe is pronounced, but I hope it's glamorous enough that you seelie what I did there anyway. It's not Halloween but it's still pretty s-pookie.

i GUESS you get the Little Leanan Sidhe Urban Achievers Award for 'seelie what i did there' because oh my god

anyways you two dorks should add me on steam and bug me there because I don't have PMs and the consolation prize is an inventory gift

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

unseenlibrarian posted:

My solution to this sorta thing has always been "guess you have a reason to overthrow the Lich King and become the new Icon of undeath, eh?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
(Mostly I just wanted to write all my own icons, but that was the initial impetus.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ProfessorCirno posted:

My solution to this sorta thing has always been "guess you have a reason to overthrow the Lich King and become the new Icon of undeath, eh?"

That sounds like a pretty nito idea.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nancy_Noxious posted:

I was (once again trying) to read the tabletop sub-forum of the Intangibility Forums and (once again) I gave up.

Why do people I would (otherwise) think of as progressives have such a regressive taste in RPG mechanics? Some months ago it was all Pathfinder; now it's all Next with some Pathfinder/OSR crap and a dash of Fate Core (it used to be an avant-garde system; now it's just mainstream).

In the RPG.net forums I also noted that (at least a few) transwomen are really into Pathfinder/regressive stuff. I left those forums because new mod Zeea would ban anyone who dared to say anything remotely negative about Next — and she's not the only one to display a preference towards regressive/old school/simulationist stuff.

(Even here — the only place in the web where talk about Next isn't a circle jerk about how reverence to the D&D ~*tradition~* will save gaming from oblivion — we have user Libertad — a seemingly progressive individual whose posts I enjoyed reading here and elsewhere — who seems to be a Pathfinder/Paizo/regressive mechanics enthusiast.)

I know it's silly to expext that people who are progressive about civil rights would be progressive in game design as well, but I find it baffling. Does the Pathfinder love exist because they sometimes depict* LGBT NPCs in their products? Next is a big pile of regressive crap; how does a single parapraph (sorry, "The Paragraph") about character gender make it progressive in any way? (And why aren't those people all over Blue Rose, a game that does the representation thing much better?)

*Although, as Avery Mcdaldno once said, representation is only a scratch in the surface; in order to really queer gaming up there has to be a shift in themes and play dynamics.

Sorry for the rant. :( I'm just sad that people I once considered "to be on my side" are against modern design in D&D-like games. I'm also sad that (so far) the only "heirs" to the 4E way of doing D&D are 13th Age (great production values, regressive in many ways) and now Strike! (glorious design with production values I mildly dislike and that will likely prevent my current group from giving it a try). Meanwhile the 3E regressives got not only Pathfinder (great support/production values) and now D&D itself — in the guise of a streamlined and cleaned-up version of 3.5.

(It's not the end of the world though — I still have many wonderful games Powered by the Apocalypse. And my current group likes those. I'll just miss the time when I was able to enjoy D&D — I'll never be able to enjoy 4E combat again, and the fact that almost everyone seems to be glad it's gone only makes me sadder.)

so wait, what ruleset do you like

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway the 9 alignments are the coolest thing to ever hapen to rpgs and any d&d/d20 system that doesn't have them is unforgivable

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

A Major Fucker posted:

anyway the 9 alignments are the coolest thing to ever hapen to rpgs and any d&d/d20 system that doesn't have them is unforgivable

You have a very appropriate username.
Sigil/Planescape made them work. Outside of that, they're godawful.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Major Fucker posted:

Yeah...no.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Major Fucker posted:

whats ur alignment

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm Chaotic Neutral, the Cool Alignment That Says I Do What I Want

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Impermanent posted:

I'm Chaotic Neutral, the Cool Alignment That Says I Do What I Want

I'm chaotic good, because gently caress the man

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Meta post, lame pun.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Really Pants posted:

whats ur alignment

is "a waddle dee but with one of those cute poofy chef's hats" an alignment

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ningyou posted:

is "a waddle dee but with one of those cute poofy chef's hats" an alignment

So, Chef Waddle Dee? Dawwww... :kimchi: But then who would be Kirby-aligned?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

let's see, like

on the one hand? Kirby is a swell, uh...androgyne puffball? good heart, good intentions.

on the other hand, kirby literally consumes all who stand in kirby's way

basically what i'm saying is chaotic good

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Really Pants posted:

whats ur alignment

Noncommittal Granola.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm so upset that that whole rpg.net experiment with taking 3.5e and making a weird US politics game out of it never was ported to 4e.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Ningyou posted:

let's see, like

on the one hand? Kirby is a swell, uh...androgyne puffball? good heart, good intentions.

I didn't say "what is kirby's alignment," I said "who is kirby-aligned?" To act as a counterpart to your "waddle dee-aligned" persona.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Noncommittal Granola.

Can I just take naturebox snack names and use those as alignments? My next D&D character's gonna be Pistachio Power Clusters.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Level 13 Tahini Pistachio Halva

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Ningyou posted:

let's see, like

Sorry, Kirby operates according to his own moral code, therefore he is Lawful Good

You see, everyone operates according to their own moral good, therefore no one can be chaotic good:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Sorry, Kirby operates according to his own moral code, therefore he is Lawful Good

You see, everyone operates according to their own moral good, therefore no one can be chaotic good evil :getin:

Who the hell declares themselves evil, anyway? Like, where did that even start being a thing?

• Locked thread