Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

I'm actually a little surprised this hasn't happened already. Terrorists must surely know about these super cheap drones.

9/11 was an anomaly. modern terrorists don't bring you the bomb, they let you bring yourself to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jonny 290 posted:

9/11 was an anomaly. modern terrorists don't bring you the bomb, they let you set yourself up the bomb

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
you'll regret this Luigi

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
tbf people saying sir outside of teachers/british empire is weird as gently caress.

I remember being in Korea and a huge army dude and his family stoping me and asking for directions. I knew where to send him but every sentence was finished with Yes Sir. Thank you Sir. So left after the lights Sir? and it weirded me the gently caress out because I was some slightly drunk scrawny british kid and he was this obviously high ranking mid thirties military guy stood next to his wife and kids and he was still talking to me like this, as if it was programmed into him and now he couldn't speak in any other way.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vodkat posted:

tbf people saying sir outside of teachers/british empire is weird as gently caress.

I remember being in Korea and a huge army dude and his family stoping me and asking for directions. I knew where to send him but every sentence was finished with Yes Sir. Thank you Sir. So left after the lights Sir? and it weirded me the gently caress out because I was some slightly drunk scrawny british kid and he was this obviously high ranking mid thirties military guy stood next to his wife and kids and he was still talking to me like this, as if it was programmed into him and now he couldn't speak in any other way.

I sir people all the fuckin' time, though ma'am is rare. (it's because ma'am = old lady in the south)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I remember in Japanese you're supposed to conjugate verbs on relative social standing but I guess only olds care about the highest respect levels these days and young people aren't taught it anymore

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

richard feynman has some anecdote about learning japanese and (the way he describes it) finding that there's no way to call someone else's house ugly or yours pretty. you invite someone over, "please grace my hovel with your presence." you go to someone else's house, "you do me a great honor by accepting me into your palace"

ofc dick feynman was even more racist and sexist and outspoken than i am so who knows if this is true.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

poo poo and gas keep sliding out of my distended rear end in a top hat

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Sagebrush posted:

richard feynman has some anecdote about learning japanese and (the way he describes it) finding that there's no way to call someone else's house ugly or yours pretty. you invite someone over, "please grace my hovel with your presence." you go to someone else's house, "you do me a great honor by accepting me into your palace"

ofc dick feynman was even more racist and sexist and outspoken than i am so who knows if this is true.

i think the american japanese speakers i know would consider this some pretty run-of-the-mill orientalist bullshit

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

In Japanese you're supposed to conjugate verbs on relative social standing but I guess only olds care about the highest respect levels these days and young people aren't taught it anymore

In korean you have to do it all the time and its nbd because you do it instead of all the other bullshit we do in english to sound polite. More like just saying what you want to say and whacking sir/mr/hi/bro/I live with you and don'r care/ on the end of every sentence which in someways is actually way easier and more efficient. But in that anecdote it was weird because the dude was US military and literally had no reason to be respectful to me other than I could give him some directions,. Really he should have been pointing at me and saying 'kids thats why you need to get good grades' yet he still called me sir in the most differential of ways, and it weird me the gently caress out. idk maybe its just because I'm british and therefore have superpower like abilities to pick up on any formality or class difference but it was just something that really seemed odd and out of place to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

daft punk railroad posted:

i think the american japanese speakers i know would consider this some pretty run-of-the-mill orientalist bullshit

yeah it's not realy clear from his description whether it's "literally impossible to say it this way" (unlikely) or "it is incredibly insulting to use the language that way" (much more likely, esp. given he was writing in the 80s about experiences he had in the 60s and 70s)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

vodkat posted:

In korean you have to do it all the time and its nbd because you do it instead of all the other bullshit we do in english to sound polite. More like just saying what you want to say and whacking sir/mr/hi/bro/I live with you and don'r care/ on the end of every sentence which in someways is actually way easier and more efficient. But in that anecdote it was weird because the dude was US military and literally had no reason to be respectful to me other than I could give him some directions,. Really he should have been pointing at me and saying 'kids thats why you need to get good grades' yet he still called me sir in the most differential of ways, and it weird me the gently caress out. idk maybe its just because I'm british and therefore have superpower like abilities to pick up on any formality or class difference but it was just something that really seemed odd and out of place to me.

solly about your low self esteem i guess

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

who knows if this is true.

I do

it isn't

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

british people have discrimination superpowers that's how they can hold lifelong opinions about literally everyone in the next town over that result in occasional football riots

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Sagebrush posted:

i bet this is true in the same way it's true that japanese has no future tense or plurals

i.e. kind of true in a super literal way but not really true in a real way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

british people have discrimination superpowers that's how they can hold lifelong opinions about literally everyone in the next town over that result in occasional football riots

lol @ the idea of brits playing football.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

solly about your low self esteem i guess

more like i was stumbling out of a bar near the red light district at mid day, half drunk, after having been out partying for the past 18 hours, smoking, hanging onto half a bottle of soju and looking like a wannabe punk circa 1978. I was having a great time, but I wouldn't even give myself any respect under those conditions.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shaggar posted:

lol @ the idea of brits playing football.

loving shaggared

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

doesn't japanese use chinese counting words for plurals?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

vodkat posted:

not sure how much it varies by branch and unit but some us military folks deeply believe in the concept of civilian control of the military. yeah it is exercised via the president but I've heard from a couple that civilians should be considered as though they are of superior rank.

or their could be an organized effort to bullshit civilians when they ask about it.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

no recovery from that boys. we should just let go of the most popular sport in the world.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

japanese ripped a ton of their early culture off from the chinese came up with it first.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

vodkat posted:

no recovery from that boys. we should just let go of the most popular sport in the world.

just call it "handegg" for instant moral victory

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

just call it "handegg" for instant moral victory

body armour rugby

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

no

Sagebrush posted:

japanese ripped a ton of their early culture off from the chinese came up with it first.

actually mostly from the Koreans, who in turn had copied it from the Chinese

but really that's not much different from us having ripped most things off from the French who got them from the Romans who got them from the Greeks who got them from the Phoenicians who got them from the Babylonians or some poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

no

actually mostly from the Koreans, who in turn had copied it from the Chinese

but really that's not much different from us having ripped most things off from the French who got them from the Romans who got them from the Greeks who got them from the Phoenicians who got them from the Babylonians or some poo poo

linguistically it's pretty drat weird. it's very unusual to borrow the "bones" of a language from outside: grammatical features, counting words, family words

e.g. english is riddled with french vocabulary, but our pronouns, grammar, etc are mostly derived from old english. with some very unusual inclusions from old norse. (conquest does funny things to a language...)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"kanji" is literally just a japanese pronunciation of "hanzi", the chinese name for its own character set

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the nipponese are the only true sapient humans while all other races are mindless roughly person-shaped animals which only give the appearance of real thought

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

"kanji" is literally just a japanese pronunciation of "hanzi", the chinese name for its own character set

you say this like it's somehow giving a unique insight into Japanese culture. where do you think the English word "letter" or "character" comes from?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
jesus spoke english read your bible sometime

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

you say this like it's somehow giving a unique insight into Japanese culture. where do you think the English word "letter" or "character" comes from?

it's an interesting fact because it's a loan-word (probably) formed from text instead of spoken language

english doesn't have too many of those

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Thesoro posted:

japanese has no future tense

neither does english

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

'roman alphabet' would have been a better example here (and 'alphabet' is what it is)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's an interesting fact because it's a loan-word (probably) formed from text instead of spoken language

english doesn't have too many of those

i ... don't even understand what you're trying to say here.

are you referring to the extremely dubious theory that the word "kanji"/"hanzi" was created in japan and subsequently adopted in china itself when they started to need to distinguish han zi from other types of zi? if so, there are plenty of examples in english of novel words formed by combining latin or greek morphemes. but in any case it's more likely that "kanji" is a straightforward loanword, with the differences in pronunciation easily explained by shifts in both chinese and japanese pronunciation in the 1200-odd years since it was borrowed.

sorry but basically the japanese language is not particularly exceptional, it's a language like any other, it has some rare features but most languages have some rare features. all the popular narratives about how it's "unique" are pure orientalism. (and all the narratives about how it's unique in the amount it's borrowed from chinese are mostly yellow-peril racism building on the 1950s-1960s narrative of japan making cheap copies of everything, as though that's not how every rapidly-developing economy fuels itself)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it is unique because the japanese people come from the sky and invented everything good about civilization before the Chinese and Koreans did goddammit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok maybe "hanzi" is a bad example word, but there are definitely loanwords in korean and japanese that are formed from local pronunciations of text, probably by people with little exposure to spoken chinese

and that's pretty neat-o

edit: to put it another way, the c-j-k languages have a nifty sorta faux-sprachbund that doesn't occur in very many places. lots of shared text in languages that are otherwise largely unrelated

the only thing i can think of that is similar is the relationship between farsi and arabic in iran, or urdu and farsi in pakistan

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 14, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

it is unique because the japanese people come from the sky and invented everything good about civilization before the Chinese and Koreans did goddammit

they graced every part of the world

except nanjing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

they graced every part of the world

except nanjing

there's a Korean nationalist conspiracy theory that says Korea was the first to circle the globe because a bunch of names in a 13th century Korean atlas sound JUST LIKE the names of modern nation states

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok maybe "hanzi" is a bad example word, but there are definitely loanwords in korean and japanese that are formed from local pronunciations of text, probably by people with little exposure to spoken chinese

and that's pretty neat-o

how is this different from English words like "television"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soricidus posted:

how is this different from English words like "television"

the ancient greeks didn't actually have televisions

• Locked thread