Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Sure I'd go see Alestorm live why not, but lol if you think I'm actually gonna sit down and listen to one of their albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

A human heart posted:

It's fascinating how posters in this forum will defend the most awful garbage in whatever genre happens to be under discussion with the excuse that it's 'just a joke' and not serious or whatever. It's the same thing that led to that pirate rap poo poo years ago. How lame do you have to be to tolerate that gimmicky bullshit? There's so much genuinely good poo poo out there and you're choosing to listen to Alestorm.

A) Do you enjoy listening to it.
B) Then listen to it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
^^^^^^^^

Iceberg-Slim posted:

What if your gimmick is to be good and interesting
hmmm

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 13, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Only elitists dislike Alestorm and Nightwish IMHO.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

nerve posted:

nothing wrong with being an elitist then.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Gamma Nerd posted:

Or Nile. By b0ner's standards, Nile aren't a gimmick band, which is a... strange claim to make.

Nothing that Nile does is a "gimmick" as far as metal is concerned.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Happy 45th birthday, Metal.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

nerve posted:

I like Alestorm, but cannot loving stand Nightwish.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A human heart posted:

It's fascinating how posters in this forum will defend the most awful garbage in whatever genre happens to be under discussion with the excuse that it's 'just a joke' and not serious or whatever. It's the same thing that led to that pirate rap poo poo years ago. How lame do you have to be to tolerate that gimmicky bullshit? There's so much genuinely good poo poo out there and you're choosing to listen to Alestorm.
I listen to Alestorm because I think they are genuinely good. Sure, they have their gimmick but they're still based on solid songwriting first. They have a knack for entertaining, catchy songs with a lot of hooks, the goofy pirate bullshit just adds an extra layer of silly fun on top.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Nordick posted:

I listen to Alestorm because I think they are genuinely good. Sure, they have their gimmick but they're still based on solid songwriting first. They have a knack for entertaining, catchy songs with a lot of hooks, the goofy pirate bullshit just adds an extra layer of silly fun on top.

It's ok if you like Alestorm but, come on, nobody has ever said "Alestorm" and "solid songwriting" in the same sentence.
http://youtu.be/5BWvkBOqrz8

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh, maybe I was the first one, then. I feel all special now! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzo6NWg9buk

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nordick posted:

It's generic cock rock riffs with an accordion thrown in, it's not good songwriting. Catchiness alone doesn't make something good - you don't see anyone arguing for the musical quality of AIDS.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

b0ner of doom posted:

Nothing that Nile does is a "gimmick" as far as metal is concerned.

their aesthetic is a gimmick, the cheesy ethnic instruments and interludes are a gimmick, playing pretty much exclusively in Phyrgian mode to sound ~middle eastern~ is a gimmick

this doesn't make nile a bad band, just a very gimmicky one

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A human heart posted:

It's generic cock rock riffs with an accordion thrown in, it's not good songwriting. Catchiness alone doesn't make something good - you don't see anyone arguing for the musical quality of AIDS.

They have an ability to take simple, basic elements and arrange them into wholes that are engaging, entertaining and memorable. I'm sorry but that falls under my definition of good songwriting.
People can dislike the band all they want, I'm fine with that, but if someone says their songs aren't well crafted for what they are, I'm going to respectfully disagree.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Nordick posted:

They have an ability to take simple, basic elements and arrange them into wholes that are engaging, entertaining and memorable. I'm sorry but that falls under my definition of good songwriting.
People can dislike the band all they want, I'm fine with that, but if someone says their songs aren't well crafted for what they are, I'm going to respectfully disagree.

We can argue for hours about why my music tastes are better than yours and vice versa. I'm glad you like metal anyway :)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

We can argue for hours about why my music tastes are better than yours and vice versa. I'm glad you like metal anyway :)
I'll drink to that. :hfive:

Moving on, I've just come to the realization that I should probably get the recent Riot album, this is some good oldschool no-frills power metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqYSlt0HAwI

Nordick fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 13, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The new Manilla Road doesn't sound too bad on an initial listen - better than Mysterium anyway. Shelton's really showing his age though, his vocals are getting less and less frequent.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also, here's another track out from the upcoming Ensiferum album. It's nothing special, but I'm liking it.
https://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/ensiferum-heathen-horde/s-9qxvM

Aaand here's their Barathrum cover from the EP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtSOjoR6Il0

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
everything is a gimmick and sucks gas this thread and ban everyone

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Elán, the first single of Nightwish's upcoming album is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

It's not the best song of this album, but it isn't too bad.

... Jesus Tuomas, you are not Johnny Depp, STOP WEARING A loving TOP HAT, YOU gently caress.

EDIT: Also, Therion recently released this video for their song "Initials BB". And I honestly don't know wtf is happening
NWS for boobs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdffAiRllY

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 13, 2015

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Groke posted:

Happy 45th birthday, Metal.
save the thread now, chill out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

EDIT: Also, Therion recently released this video for their song "Initials BB". And I honestly don't know wtf is happening
NWS for boobs.

Steampunk Nazi wannabes conquer nations with the power of boobs, sounds like a better history than the one we actually got.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

Elán, the first single of Nightwish's upcoming album is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

It's not the best song of this album, but it isn't too bad.

... Jesus Tuomas, you are not Johnny Depp, STOP WEARING A loving TOP HAT, YOU gently caress.
I dunno, I think the top hat kinda suits him. :shobon:

The song is obviously a very safe, radiofriendly single release, but a pretty good one at that. My first impression was a bit lukewarm, but the hooks just took a few listens to sink in. I still think it could do with a bit more gusto though, like it has during the last chorus iteration at the end.

Eager to hear the rest of the album.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Still waiting for True Somalian Pirate Metal. Black Sails At Mogadishu.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

To Battle posted:

Still waiting for True Somalian Pirate Metal. Black Sails At Mogadishu.

If its black metal maybe it'll be good to take away from hearing the bullshit spewing from their mouths.

Alestorm is some shameful loving poo poo. But so is the entire genre of power metal (except for the bands I like of course). :smugbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Vintersorg posted:

If its black metal maybe it'll be good to take away from hearing the bullshit spewing from their mouths.

Alestorm is some shameful loving poo poo. But so is the entire genre of power metal (except for the bands I like of course). :smugbert:

My brother!!!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

You can't hate on Blind Guardian's Hansi Kursch. Nowadays the man is just like a nerdy middle-aged dad who sings about dragons.

(no idea who the other dude is)

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Gamma Nerd posted:

their aesthetic is a gimmick, the cheesy ethnic instruments and interludes are a gimmick, playing pretty much exclusively in Phyrgian mode to sound ~middle eastern~ is a gimmick

this doesn't make nile a bad band, just a very gimmicky one

All of those things do make Nile a lovely band, (because they suck) but it doesn't make it gimmicky. It's quite common in metal to have bands who base their entire image around ethnic/mythological/pagan/occult/religious themes.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Were the last two pages really dominated by some idiot who actually admitted to liking Nightwish attempting to slag someone for liking literally any band?

Shameful. Here's something worth listening to, and discussing Mosaic.

And here's something else Fade to Grey.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

b0ner of doom posted:

All of those things do make Nile a lovely band, (because they suck) but it doesn't make it gimmicky. It's quite common in metal to have bands who base their entire image around ethnic/mythological/pagan/occult/religious themes.

At what point does that become a gimmick?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

The Clit Avoider posted:

Were the last two pages really dominated by some idiot who actually admitted to liking Nightwish attempting to slag someone for liking literally any band [/url].

No.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Trollmetal is the only true and non-gimmicky metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhi43RntJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgqrDnAmts

Goblin metal can gtfo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nothing can top these gimmicks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DE2P7ZWuk

Bad metal

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Get out of here, troll-liking scum

Orcs rule and trolls drool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4LtCCswlWk

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

A human heart posted:

Catchiness alone doesn't make something good.

Yes it does.

To quote Devin Townsend: "Well Music is just entertainment folks". If there is a song and it is enjoyable in any way shape or form, that makes it a good song. It achieved its purpose of entertaining you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Get out of here, troll-liking scum

Orcs rule and trolls drool

Saw these guys open for GWAR and it was actually pretty decent, good costumes and they can do it all live.

Top notch act. :thumbsup:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yes it does.

To quote Devin Townsend: "Well Music is just entertainment folks". If there is a song and it is enjoyable in any way shape or form, that makes it a good song. It achieved its purpose of entertaining you.

Devin Townsend is trash and that's a stupid quote.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yes it does.

I disagree with this,mostly because there's a lot of music that I hate, that does not at all entertain me or amuse me, that I consider catchy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yes it does.

What the gently caress is art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
It's a sarcastic line in an angry song and I don't know why you decided to take it out of context.

"So shut your face and take a seat
cuz after all you're just talking meat
and music...well, it's just entertainment, folks!"