Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KingEffingFrost posted:

Maybe I'm just developing cataracts, but the PS2 Classics version of P4 is blurry as poo poo. Or was it always blurry as poo poo? I can't remember, P4 was the only one of the PS2 SMT games that I only ever played once.

Maybe you have smoothing turned on? I don't think the PS3 does an especially good job of upscaling PS2 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
P4 added a ton of Motion blur, I think mainly to hide the fact it uses the same engine as P3, so the blur distracts you from the dated graphics or something. they use the grainy film texture in the TV world, probably for similar reasons. also a good excuse to make everything as foggy as poo poo

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's a lot of blur even on Golden.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dehry posted:

You're in luck. An Atlus eShop sale is currently in progress. You can nab a 3DS Shin Megami Tensei game for $15 right now. SMT IV or Devil Survivor Overclocked isn't a bad place to start out with the series. The demons you summon are used as Personas in the Persona series. Also, you can get used to fusion mechanics and attacks. Code of Princess, Conception II, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Etrian Odyssey IV and SMT Soul Hackers are on sale as well. Join us.

Not in Europe, otherwise I'd be grabbing EOU and Soul Hackers :smithicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not in Europe would be the most honest subtitle for this thread.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I wouldn't recommend getting the PS2 classic versions of the Persona games from the European store. They run at 50hz instead of 60hz, which makes already long games take even longer. I think only Nocturne, aka LUCIFER'S CALL and DDS2 have a 60hz option out of the PAL PS2 games.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

weird bleep posted:

I wouldn't recommend getting the PS2 classic versions of the Persona games from the European store. They run at 50hz instead of 60hz, which makes already long games take even longer. I think only Nocturne, aka LUCIFER'S CALL and DDS2 have a 60hz option out of the PAL PS2 games.

If Ghostlight hurries up we might even see a bugged to poo poo PSN release sometime in 2018.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

weird bleep posted:

While that's true, only DDS1 is mistimed at 50Hz. P3FES (maybe P3 is mistimed but who cares, it's not up there) and P4 are properly retimed.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

While that's true, only DDS1 is mistimed at 50Hz. P3FES (maybe P3 is mistimed but who cares, it's not up there) and P4 are properly retimed.

Oops, looks like I'm a goofball. Maybe I should double check things before pretending I know about them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

weird bleep posted:

Oops, looks like I'm a goofball. Maybe I should double check things before pretending I know about them.

Eh, it's no big deal really. Ghostlight are bad though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Isn't Persona 4 in Square Enix's hands in Europe?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ChaosArgate posted:

I know the PS2 version was. P3 was Koei.

Atlus' pre-Sega European licensing was arcane and convoluted, though, so who can say how it was licensed, and how that carries to now when they can actually publish in Europe without weird individual dealings.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Persona Q's on a bit of a sale on Amazon right now, but after reading what some people have to say I think I'll pass. I love dungeon crawling games, but if it's not going to blow me away it's not worth the $43.

Content: Does anyone know if they have patched or are even able to patch the PS2 classics on the PSN store? I downloaded...uh... Japanese Detective vs the Robot Army but the audio desyncs so often and it feels like the game runs slowly because of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona Q really does do a few things really well. (Balance isn't one of them.)

For one, I think it does a good job of using FOEs as puzzle elements, at least for the most part. That happens in EO sometimes, but PQ makes a habit of it. I liked that in the few few labyrinths--FOEs didn't just feel like "oh no, a strong monster, run away!" but instead like an obstacle to be dealt with differently than I dealt with random battles.

Also, the music is fantastic, and some aspects of the battle system, like the Boost system and the fact that your sub-Persona gives you something of an HP and SP cushion, are pretty cool. Those two work together to give PQ a different feeling when it comes to resource management than EO (or even the other Persona games): you're rewarded for hitting weaknesses because it helps you conserve HP/SP, and you're rewarded for finishing battles quickly because enemies won't be able to start damaging your "real" HP.

Unfortunately, the labyrinths are overall less interesting than EO labyrinths, and status effects are holy poo poo overpowered. Everyone points to Naoto as the real gamebreaker, and she is hands-down the best at that, but honestly, give anyone with a half-decent Luck score Panic Circle/Tentarafoo, a light and a dark instant kill, and the Impure Reach passive, and they'll carry you through the whole game.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
For P3, P4, and even P3P, best bet is to use an emulator on PC. Shadows are a bit off for P3/P4/Nocturne but it's pretty good overall and physical copies are pretty cheap.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
All the megaten games have weird shadows in emulation. I think its the worst in DDS where sometimes characters will disappear because their shadows overlap their bodies completely and just turn them transparent.

On party construction: For what it's worth I finished P4 with Yu, Yosuke, Naoto and Kanji being my primary party members. I don't think I've ever played with Yukiko in my party longer than she needed to be.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yukiko is the best though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

laplace posted:

On party construction: For what it's worth I finished P4 with Yu, Yosuke, Naoto and Kanji being my primary party members. I don't think I've ever played with Yukiko in my party longer than she needed to be.

We talkin' vanilla or Golden?

I never found much use for Naoto in vanilla. That probably stems from my obsessive need to make sure the party members I use the most are as close to evenly leveled as possible, though, which is probably why I stuck with Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko through pretty much the entire game. I made the mistake of treating Yukiko like she was Yukari, though, which is to say that I acted like she was only good for healing, so I probably could've swapped her out for Kanji and it would've been fine.

Naoto in vanilla was awesome at sweeping random encounters with light/dark spells, but didn't have much to offer in boss fights, so my thought process was just that she'd be soaking up XP that I'd rather have going to one of my boss fight party members. In Golden, though? Now that she can get all four elemental -dyne spells, Mind Charge, and a gun that has both Ice Boost and Ice Amp on it, she's amazing at knocking off huge chunks of HP per attack. Yukiko, Chie, and Kanji are also awesome heavy-hitters. Yukiko's Burning Petals with Fire Boost, Fire Amp, and Mind Charge is insane damage, and Chie and Kanji can kick serious rear end with Power Charge and either God Hand or Primal Force. My Golden party of choice is Yu, Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto for that reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukiko is just better than Yukari on account of learning Boosts/Amps (which Yukari doesn't). Even then the distance between Yukari and Ken damage is about the same as the distance between Yukiko and Teddie damage.

I know Kanji is supposedly great at damage but I've generally found Chie to be overall more useful. More utility in fights with Rampage -> Agneyestra, crit fishing with Rainy Death. Kanji's better in boss fights but otherwise I'd rock Chie/Yosuke/Teddie all day, swapping in Naoto for Yosuke for say the secret boss fight.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Yosuke is really OP in general but I never run him because he's such a little bitch in the game. Kanji all the way baby.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If we're talking P4G, Chie's definitively better than Kanji by the sole virtue of having Dragon Rising.

edit: or is it called Dragon Hustle? I can never remember. Either way, full party Hear Riser is pretty cool.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2015

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
About the Atlus games on sale, speaking as someone who only ever played Persona 3 and 4 and liked the gameplay a lot, which one of them would be recommended? I like a good story but it's not my top priority right now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

If we're talking P4G, Chie's definitively better than Kanji by the sole virtue of having Dragon Rising.

edit: or is it called Dragon Hustle? I can never remember. Either way, full party Hear Riser is pretty cool.

Chie can only use that once even at level 99, and Kanji learns Power Charge now so he can finally take advantage of his superior Strength. Kanji's easily better.

Hopeford posted:

About the Atlus games on sale, speaking as someone who only ever played Persona 3 and 4 and liked the gameplay a lot, which one of them would be recommended? I like a good story but it's not my top priority right now.

SMTIV's probably your best bet.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 13, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hopeford posted:

I like the story and characters of 4 better than 3. P3 is more Sci-Fi and a little bit more YA-novel-ish (particularly in how it handles "the potential" and the Kirijo Group stuff), and the dungeon is kind of classic roguelike somewhat of a slog with Tartarus not having much of a plot point until literally the very end. P4 has an overall lighter tone despite the serial-killer premise, and sorta deals with a little more down-to-earth psychological complexes of its characters, which the dungeon designs reflect. P4 can sometimes undercut itself a little bit by relying too much on certain anime humor tropes at times, even though the majority of the characters are themselves twists on popular TV archetypes in Japan.

My vote for story/characters is always going to be P2 IS/EP, though.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Neeksy posted:

P4 can sometimes undercut itself a little bit by relying too much on certain anime humor tropes at times

Which reminds me: dear Atlus, please, no more Persona hot spring shenanigans. Enough.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Which reminds me: dear Atlus, please, no more Persona hot spring shenanigans. Enough.

How do you feel about beaches?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Man if you don't think they're gonna use P5's sneaking mechanics in a hot springs peaking scene I don't know what to tell you.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

ChaosArgate posted:

Can confirm, playing P4 atm on PAL PS2, and Square Enix is definitely mentioned in the start up screens.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Chie can only use that once even at level 99, and Kanji learns Power Charge now so he can finally take advantage of his superior Strength. Kanji's easily better.

Chie's main draw is that she's way better at multi-target attacks than Kanji is, while still being quite good at damaging bosses. If you're not going to keep everyone leveled up so that you can switch people out situationally, you might find Chie more useful overall. Naoto, with her ability to essentially negate random encounters as long as she has SP, comes along pretty late, so Chie's Rampage and Agneyastra can be nice to beat up random shadows.

Kanji really does trounce her on single-target damage, though, so if you have another way of sweeping random battles and/or are willing to keep both of them leveled up, he's the clear choice.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

At the end of the day, Chie still has the second highest damage output in the game so you might as well use both her and Kanji. Yukiko might do slightly more damage with two amps (one from the skill and one from an accessory) but it's pretty close.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What I did by the end is have Yu constantly rotating between Debilitating the highest threat and Heat Rising Yukiko and Kanji, them using Amagidyne and Primal Force every turn, and Naoto either throwing up Shields of Justice or using items to keep everyone rolling. Random encounters would be mopped up by the always fun Morning Star/Victory Cry combo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I kept everyone leveled equally when I could, but I probably used Yosuke the least towards the end just because RPG characters you get early in the game usually aren't as good. I guess in Persona 4 that wasn't true?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What rpgs is that true in, might be a better question. Since thats not something I ever noticed

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

P4 doesn't really have any bad characters, and once you understand the mechanics you can get through it with just about any party.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cake Attack posted:

What rpgs is that true in, might be a better question. Since thats not something I ever noticed

In Pokemon-style RPGs (including mainline Megaten) that's pretty much the usual, since depending on the mechanics you're either switching stuff out constantly, or that early area's just full of poo poo.

In other RPGs I find you tend to get 'trickier' party members as you go, as the simple bread-and-butter characters are fairly front-loaded and you get the esoteric weirdness later on, which depending on the game's balance could give way to some really strong tactics. I'm thinking stuff like Final Fantasy VI here.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

MrAristocrates posted:

P4 doesn't really have any bad characters, and once you understand the mechanics you can get through it with just about any party.

naoto is bad in the original

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Volt Catfish posted:

She's great until you get to a boss and realize she's utterly useless when fighting against bosses.

So, uh, I guess she is bad.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

StandardVC10 posted:

I kept everyone leveled equally when I could, but I probably used Yosuke the least towards the end just because RPG characters you get early in the game usually aren't as good. I guess in Persona 4 that wasn't true?

Yosuke's not the best at anything but he is above average at everything. He's fast enough to go before the enemies and strip their buffs off with Dekaja, has the full Garu offense line and a decent magic score to cast it with, especially if you give him a +wind damage accessory, and he has single-target healing and Masukukaja as well, which functions as both an offensive and a defensive buff, and since he is practically guaranteed to go first, the rest of the party can immediately benefit from the accuracy boost. He doesn't get many physical skills, but Brave Blade is pretty good if you can wait for it. His evolved Persona eliminates his elemental weakness too, which not every party member gets. He's the most flexible party member by far.

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah, it's sad but it's true.

Edit: Oh and no bosses in the original resist wind in this game.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just use Chie/Yukiko/Kanji. It's the best party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not a big fan of Yosuke mechanically. He has sort of passable damage between Boosted and Amped Garu and Brave Blade but definitely nothing to write home about. He's fast, but agility only effects turn order if you fail to get an advantage against regular enemies (against bosses it always uses MC/Slot1/Slot2/Slot3/Boss as the turn order iirc) which barely ever happens. Sukukaja is the worst buff since you don't really miss much in P4 and unlike Press Turn games misses don't deprive enemies of extra actions so it's basically a less reliable Rakukaja. Single target healing is kind of bad past the early game, especially since he never gets Diarahan. All he's really got that's unique to him is Dekaja, which is niche but useful occasionally, and Tentarafoo, which is terrible. Of course, the game is so easy that your choice of party members doesn't really matter but Yosuke is definitely the second worse character in P4 after Naoto.