Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The fact that you can add poo poo to the F-15 without making it look top heavy or ungainly is all the proof that I need that it is the superior airframe.

:smug:

Oh stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mazz posted:

Yeah I have a bad habit of hitting post and then finishing my thought in edits.

you and me both, it's alright :hfive:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To be fair, all of Israel's warplanes have CFTs because that's the price one pays for 1) being fond of semi-routinely executing long range strike missions where you can't risk refueling, and 2) not having to buy and maintain (or build in-house) heavy bombers, because no one in their right mind would ever sell Israel strategic bombers - except China, and I think one could say that the F-35I is a much better plane for strategic strike missions than a Chinese H-6 with a glass cockpit.

Speaking of Chinese bombers, though - check this poo poo out:

http://airlinebuzz.com/forums/entry.php?27-Drachenfl%FCgel-Part-One-The-Xian-Bombers-%28Flieger-Revue-Extra%29

A Tu-16, already a notorious gas-guzzler, with 4-6 engines and made significantly larger is pretty loving hilarious.

I find it hilarious they'd stick with anything Badger-like at all. I mean, just get Bombardier to build a medium bomber out of the CRJ

I'm not sure if that would be literally the worst airframe for that job but I've now read too much about Airliners as combat aircraft and vice versa :shepface:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think one could say that the F-35I is a much better plane for strategic strike missions than a Chinese H-6 with a glass cockpit.

:frog:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mazz posted:

It's still poo poo, we all know, but it helps to actually frame things correctly here before you poo poo all over them.

And if we're going to frame things correctly it's worth mentioning that the F-35 will likely shoot the F-16s in the face 20 miles out from the merge before the F-16s even knows it's there*.

The F-35's no Raptor but it's also not just a chunkier lower performing carbon copy of the F-16 or whatever, the technological improvements it brings in a lot of areas are genuine.

* At least until the F-35 has exhausted its 2-4 AMRAAMs

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The fact that you can add poo poo to the F-15 without making it look top heavy or ungainly is all the proof that I need that it is the superior airframe.

:smug:

The fact the F-15 is not full of hydrazine that prevents from rescuing the victims when an F-16 crashes is all the proof that I need.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That's what zero-zero ejection seats are for though? I would think that if anyone is physically pulling F-16 pilots out of the plane while it's on fire on the ground, they hosed up.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

That's what zero-zero ejection seats are for though? I would think that if anyone is physically pulling F-16 pilots out of the plane while it's on fire on the ground, they hosed up.

Planes don't always crash in deserted fields

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hey, it's the only time I think you could ever say that the F-35 is actually the better option, which is wholly depressing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Hmm yes when a fighter jet crashes into a suburb the most immediate danger to the people in the impact zone is the gallon or so of hydrazine for the EPU.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.thespainreport.com/13954/greek-f16-crashes-spanish-air-base-albacete/

Sagebrush posted:

Hmm yes when a fighter jet crashes into a suburb the most immediate danger to the people in the impact zone is the gallon or so of hydrazine for the EPU.

From what a Belgian Air Force pilot said, whenever an F-16 crashes, the first question for the emergency services is to know whether the area is contaminated or not.

And in Albacete it was, which complicated the task considerably.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 14, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sagebrush posted:

You're right, there are plenty dangers to those on the ground.

Which is why it's better to have multiple redundancies and not have the plane auger into the dirt like some sort of backyard game :smug:

If I had some artistic talent, I would make :smug15: happen.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 14, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Sagebrush posted:

quote:

Hydrazine is highly toxic, and dangerously unstable in the anhydrous form. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency:

Symptoms of acute (short-term) exposure to high levels of hydrazine may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary edema, seizures, coma in humans. Acute exposure can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. The liquid is corrosive and may produce dermatitis from skin contact in humans and animals.

EPA has classified hydrazine as a Group B2, probable human carcinogen.

Tumors in the nasal cavity were observed in rats and hamsters exposed by inhalation.

On February 21, 2008, the United States government destroyed the disabled spy satellite USA 193 with a sea-launched missile, reportedly due to the potential danger of a hydrazine release if it re-entered the Earth's atmosphere intact.

It's a happy, funtime hypergolic!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Cat Mattress posted:

From what a Belgian Air Force pilot said, whenever an F-16 crashes, the first question for the emergency services is to know whether the area is contaminated or not.

There's an old deadstick landing F-16 video floating around on youtube that, upon landing and scrambling of the crash-rescue-fire crew, they even specifically mention to them that the hydrazing APU is running and to prepare for it.

Also, when STS-107 broke up (part of the scare tactic to keep souvenir hunters away:tinfoil: ) there was a warning NASA put out to avoid the engines/debris and not touch any of it due to hydrazine contamination.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 14, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That would be a bigger concern than the 7000 lbs of burning jet fuel, any ordinance, or just the fact of a 20-30,000 lb jet smashing into the ground at hundreds oh mph?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Fucknag posted:

That would be a bigger concern than the 7000 lbs of burning jet fuel, any ordinance, or just the fact of a 20-30,000 lb jet smashing into the ground at hundreds oh mph?
It's all part and parcel.

It's IN ADDITION TO.

It is a combined hazard.

It is an added, very special, extra level of "oh... poo poo."

Come on guys stop being so reductive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm not downplaying hydrazine, I've read all the stories in the spaceflight and hazardous chemical threads, it's just a fairly small quantity all things considered.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Fucknag posted:

I'm not downplaying hydrazine, I've read all the stories in the spaceflight and hazardous chemical threads, it's just a fairly small quantity all things considered.

Some chemicals are very harmful even in small quantities.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To address a bunch of things

- every emergency responder is going to ask about every plane crash "is the area contaminated with anything toxic that could hurt us?" -- that isn't unique to F-16s
- If the plane hits the ground and breaks up and explodes, the burning jet fuel/weaponry is a far larger immediate problem than any hydrazine that might be in the mix
- if the hydrazine escapes into the atmosphere in the situation of a crash it's highly likely that it would just burn off in seconds anyway, because it's extraordinarily reactive and hypergolic with jet fuel
- if the plane manages to land in one piece with the EPU running, it's worth letting the responders know because the exhaust is hot and toxic, yes. But not significantly more than jet blast
- NASA's "keep away from shuttle wreckage cause it's toxic" suggestion was entirely to keep people from stealing pieces or hampering an investigation
- the Navy blew up that satellite to show off because China had just tested an ASAT. Even at the time people were arguing that the hydrazine excuse was baseless for a variety of reasons
- it's not as deadly as people are making out. note the list of symptoms: mostly burns and skin conditions (consistent with it being a powerfully reactive chemical) and the potential for long-term organ damage, same as many other industrial chemicals. No one should be breathing the stuff or getting it sprayed on them, but it's not like the plane is full of nerve gas.

It's a toxic chemical, sure. But in terms of relative quantity and danger level, focusing on it is like saying "wow, if you get in a car crash, you really gotta look out for that sulfuric acid in the battery!"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 14, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
We use it for boiler chemistry control.

One of the precautions when cleaning instruments that come in contact with hydrazine is that any crystals can cause spontaneous combustion with organic material.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

The Radium Girls were a bunch of whiny bitches, amirite?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sagebrush posted:

Unless the fighter jet literally landed on top of them, this is pretty much true.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Fucknag posted:

I'm not a hydrazine expert so most of this probably doesn't apply but you know what's cool? Spraying H2O on a fire to put it out. Know what's uncool? Getting the wrong hypergolic on the wrong day and it strips the hydrogen out of your H2O and it ignites with the oxygen.

And then it spontaneously combusts any metal and ashes around it upon contact.

You're sort of right in the sense that there are worse things though! It could be a rocket that crashes with even more of the stuff in a more potent form.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not a hydrazine expert so most of this probably doesn't apply but you know what's cool? Spraying H2O on a fire to put it out. Know what's uncool? Getting the wrong hypergolic on the wrong day and it strips the hydrogen out of your H2O and it ignites with the oxygen.

You're sort of right in the sense that there are worse things though! It could be a rocket that crashes with even more of the stuff in a more potent form.

Again, in the context of a crashed fighter jet, poo poo's already on fire.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not a fire putting outer expert, but nobody is going to try to put out flaming anything on an airplane by spraying water on it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Yeah I think you guys are making a bigger deal out of this hydrazine thing than you need to.

Look how happy these people are to be so close to a piece of history!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Linedance posted:

I'm not a fire putting outer expert, but nobody is going to try to put out flaming anything on an airplane by spraying water on it.

Yes they will if it crashes somewhere besides airports. Straight up water from a cannon or main line or a tree incher depending on the country of the fire service.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SeaborneClink posted:

Yeah I think you guys are making a bigger deal out of this hydrazine thing than you need to.

Look how happy these people are to be so close to a piece of history!

That's not a rocket crash! That's the PRC's newest method of delivering cookware, Wok Faster!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Yes they will if it crashes somewhere besides airports. Straight up water from a cannon or main line or a tree incher depending on the country of the fire service.

I'm struggling to think of a fire department in this hypothetical scenario that has no access to foam, only water, and not enough of that to completely flood the site, that also has the capability to handle a fire consisting of a few thousand kilos of jet b, potential ordinance, and hazardous chemicals, beyond just wetting everything surrounding the fire to contain it and letting it burn itself out.
But like I said, I'm not a professional fire putter outer.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

AIRBUS HUNGRY

I seriously need to fly on a 380 someday. Everytime I see anything about it I get butterflies in the stomach :allears:

e: I just wish they made it break Mach 1 for no reason except "inacio wants it"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Psion posted:

National airport :corsair: :colbert:

Yup, only republicans and tourists call it Reagan.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Inacio posted:

I seriously need to fly on a 380 someday. Everytime I see anything about it I get butterflies in the stomach :allears:

e: I just wish they made it break Mach 1 for no reason except "inacio wants it"

Malaysia flies A380s. And there's even a chance you'll break Mach 1 as the pilot is nose diving it into the ocean!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Duke Chin posted:

There's an old deadstick landing F-16 video floating around on youtube that, upon landing and scrambling of the crash-rescue-fire crew, they even specifically mention to them that the hydrazing APU is running and to prepare for it.

E wrong airport. I knew this also happened at O'Hare in the mid 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puia_yQxir8

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 14, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Linedance posted:

I'm struggling to think of a fire department in this hypothetical scenario that has no access to foam, only water, and not enough of that to completely flood the site, that also has the capability to handle a fire consisting of a few thousand kilos of jet b, potential ordinance, and hazardous chemicals, beyond just wetting everything surrounding the fire to contain it and letting it burn itself out.
But like I said, I'm not a professional fire putter outer.

Rural fire departments and outlying ones are extremely hostile to the use of Foam and will soray water everywhere.

I was a fire putter outer. Ideal practice doesn't meet reality often.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Ain't that the truth.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Vahakyla posted:

...said every profession everywhere for the entirety of mankind amen. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
A ... Piper Cub with a one bladed propeller? I thought those were only theory crafted now.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Even more crazy is that it changes pitch based on load.

Neat Idea but not practical once you get up in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Is there any point to that one-bladed propeller?