Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
FYI there's an All-Star thread with an amazing OP here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700754

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Sometimes I wonder if the 35-second clock doesn't end up actually increasing scoring college. Most of the defenses are so bad that it's really hard to guard even a slightly-above-average offense for that long.

I suppose the sheer number of extra possessions would probably win out though.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Ross posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the 35-second clock doesn't end up actually increasing scoring college. Most of the defenses are so bad that it's really hard to guard even a slightly-above-average offense for that long.

I suppose the sheer number of extra possessions would probably win out though.

Dump it down to 24 seconds so that the lovely army generals posing as college coaches stop making those kids swing the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds on every possession

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I think you mean saving college basketball.

Some things don't deserve to be saved.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Talking about men's bb here.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Are they finally lowering the shot clock

Sounds like it may be going to 30 seconds.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Philthy posted:

Sounds like it may be going to 30 seconds.

They're trying it out for the NIT and the sort of lame people who can be accurately described as "college basketball purists" are freaking the gently caress out.

kiimo posted:

Talking about men's bb here.

I'll watch it because I was raised on ill advised Kingsbury three pointers and because single elimination tournaments are inherently fun, but doesn't change that it is a wildly inferior product.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
jesus christ, I forgot the shot clock was 35 seconds

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
They could just change it to first to 10, win by two.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Why is college basketball so lovely? Last time I saw a game I was confused because both teams were like deathly afraid of running a pick and roll.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

stranger danger posted:

Why is college basketball so lovely? Last time I saw a game I was confused because both teams were like deathly afraid of running a pick and roll.

Players are a lot worse (which weirdly I think makes college football more entertaining but with basketball just means a lot of bricked jumpers and horrible turnovers), and the combination of the short three point line, lower level of athleticism, and longer shot clock encourages ugly slow down basketball. The stars are the boring rear end in a top hat coaches rather than the players.

The atmosphere is better and the NCAA tournament is more fun than anything the NBA does (not necessarily a great way to find the best team but fun) but the quality of basketball can be pretty bad.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 14, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
To me what's interesting about college football is all the competing styles, which are mainly in place as various teams try to compensate for talent and recruiting deficits that stop them from having a complete team. The fact that basketball is at its core a simple game, and the fact that the talent gap is actually a lot smaller in basketball, generally (due to needing many fewer players) that you don't really see any of this wild experimentation at this level. In fact you actually need someone capable of doing something very unusual on the court to make various systems work, but these players are so so rare that you don't see that either. So I guess what I'm saying is that college ball is both too good and too bad at the same time to really be interesting.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rick posted:

To me what's interesting about college football is all the competing styles, which are mainly in place as various teams try to compensate for talent and recruiting deficits that stop them from having a complete team. The fact that basketball is at its core a simple game, and the fact that the talent gap is actually a lot smaller in basketball, generally (due to needing many fewer players) that you don't really see any of this wild experimentation at this level. In fact you actually need someone capable of doing something very unusual on the court to make various systems work, but these players are so so rare that you don't see that either. So I guess what I'm saying is that college ball is both too good and too bad at the same time to really be interesting.

I just hate the way offenses never seem to really flow that well. You occasionally get a possession where it's smooth but it's a rarity at that level, even in blowouts or when bad defenses are involved.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I dont mind it, it's just that most of the games leading to the finals are just blow outs for the schools that grind out future NBA players.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Speaking of terrible college basketball ideas.
Conference commissioners of the P5 Football conferences are considering making freshmen for all sports ineligible to play.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25067832/freshman-ineligibility-ncaa-commissioners-at-least-considering-it

I hope the other conferences ignore this rule or players just go to the D-League.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They're talking about making freshmen ineligible to eliminate the one-and-done thing. I also don't like one-and-dones that much but I think a better way to handle it would be to just let NBA-ready kids go straight from high school. Maybe say if they don't, they have to stay for two years. Isn't that baseball-ish?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Rick posted:

I'll be honest. It helps when you can root for a perennially good team like Arizona though. The bigger programs are much easier to watch than the others but for sure the 35 second shot clock needs to go. It's agonizing to watch.

On the other hand Arizona couldn't hit a loving free throw to save their lives. A whole team of Shaq's.

Fast Luck posted:

They're talking about making freshmen ineligible to eliminate the one-and-done thing. I also don't like one-and-dones that much but I think a better way to handle it would be to just let NBA-ready kids go straight from high school. Maybe say if they don't, they have to stay for two years. Isn't that baseball-ish?

Really though, how many kids are actually "NBA ready" at 18? Maybe if the D-League was really functioning then you might but these kids aren't that great outside of some notable exceptions like Lebron and Kobe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fast Luck posted:

Let adults decide when they should be paid for their talents. Get rid of the age-limit altogether.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Ramadu posted:

Really though, how many kids are actually "NBA ready" at 18? Maybe if the D-League was really functioning then you might but these kids aren't that great outside of some notable exceptions like Lebron and Kobe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

Seems fine to me. You had to be really good to be drafted as a high schooler.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
they should be able to enter the draft immediately after highschool and if they don't get drafted they are allowed to play college ball to raise their stock

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Metapod posted:

they should be able to enter the draft immediately after highschool and if they don't get drafted they are allowed to play college ball to raise their stock

Or go to Europe, China, and D-League. There are a lot of outlets. For football, it really stinks, it's college and only college. Unless you're the one guy who works at a Jiffy Lube or whatever that was.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Philthy posted:

Or go to Europe, China, and D-League. There are a lot of outlets. For football, it really stinks, it's college and only college. Unless you're the one guy who works at a Jiffy Lube or whatever that was.

In some fairness, 18 year old bodies typically should not take NFL punishment. They likely shouldn't take NCAA punishment either, but certainly not NFL. So I at least understand that.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

chunkles posted:

There's a few whiffs there but it's a way better success rate than a normal draft

Lockback posted:

In some fairness, 18 year old bodies typically should not take NFL punishment. They likely shouldn't take NCAA punishment either, but certainly not NFL. So I at least understand that.
Nobody's body really should

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ramadu posted:

I'll be honest. It helps when you can root for a perennially good team like Arizona though. The bigger programs are much easier to watch than the others but for sure the 35 second shot clock needs to go. It's agonizing to watch.

On the other hand Arizona couldn't hit a loving free throw to save their lives. A whole team of Shaq's.

I definitely appreciate Arizona, especially last year when everyone was healthy. But man there are games like the one against ASU last week that even test that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Yeah people act like tons of guys were going destitute by doing it but the vast majority wound up sticking in the NBA for a few contracts and making a lot of money. The number who were complete busts is lower than the number who went on to become huge superstars. It self-selected pretty well, for the most part.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Rick posted:

I definitely appreciate Arizona, especially last year when everyone was healthy. But man there are games like the one against ASU last week that even test that.

I wanted to die watching that. I am dead. That's the onl;y game you *have* to win a year and you put that....performance on the floor? yeesh

MourningView posted:

Yeah people act like tons of guys were going destitute by doing it but the vast majority wound up sticking in the NBA for a few contracts and making a lot of money. The number who were complete busts is lower than the number who went on to become huge superstars. It self-selected pretty well, for the most part.

Well thats sorta what I mean. If you look at the list it has accelerated the number of people going into it and it just seems like people would go in by being hyped up by the media more and more now. I am probably an idiot about that though.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 14, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypqr9SpQ35c

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I wonder if there's any significant difference by draft age in whether or not the player squanders their fortune on stupid purchases/investments and ends up destitute.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

College basketball is the greatest sport in the world if you root for one of about 10 teams. Otherwise it's pretty painful.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

throwing a chair into the crowd might be the most jeremy tyler thing imaginable.
Remember how Sonny Vaccaro had Tyler skip his senior year in high school and go play overseas because he thought Tyler was mature enough to handle it? Whoops

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Dump it down to 24 seconds so that the lovely army generals posing as college coaches stop making those kids swing the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds on every possession
Get rid of all of the alpha dickhead coaches who spend games continuously angry and think that you have to wind down the shot clock to two seconds on every possession because every possession is some sacred thing and we need to keep the other team from getting the ball even if that means passing up open shots in the name of getting the ~*perfect shot*~

Reminder: the pace of games was significantly faster in the last 70's and early 80's, when there wasn't even a shot clock. Jerry Tarkanian had a UNLV team score 110 points per game at a time when there was neither a shot clock nor a three-point shot.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 14, 2015

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Why can the NHL draft high school kids and then the guy can still go to play NCAA hockey? The kid can stay in college as long as it takes to develop a proper game and the team keeps his rights until it's the right time to come out. Is it because the NHL just says anyone that's 18 is eligible to be drafted and people don't actively declare for the draft?

Can't the NBA do that? The megastars can still get paid right away and the rest can still get the development they need since teams won't feel the need to rush them since they got their rights locked up and first contracts won't be burned up on years where the players are too raw and can't contribute.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pseudodragon posted:

Why can the NHL draft high school kids and then the guy can still go to play NCAA hockey? The kid can stay in college as long as it takes to develop a proper game and the team keeps his rights until it's the right time to come out. Is it because the NHL just says anyone that's 18 is eligible to be drafted and people don't actively declare for the draft?

Can't the NBA do that? The megastars can still get paid right away and the rest can still get the development they need since teams won't feel the need to rush them since they got their rights locked up and first contracts won't be burned up on years where the players are too raw and can't contribute.

Because a Bad pick in Baseball and Hockey are significantly less harmful to an organization, than a bad pick in the NBA draft.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Also you start making 10s of millions of dollars a lot sooner and that is probably pretty attractive to an 18 year-old who seriously has the option.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dexo posted:

Because a Bad pick in Baseball and Hockey are significantly less harmful to an organization, than a bad pick in the NBA draft.

A bad pick is a bad pick under any system. I know the league wants to protect teams from their own idiocy, but there are ways to do it without loving over kids that are ready or putting all the pressure on a 18-20 year old kid to make a life-changing decision that takes away the option of a fallback plan.

Ross posted:

Also you start making 10s of millions of dollars a lot sooner and that is probably pretty attractive to an 18 year-old who seriously has the option.

Players that can make the money can make the money anyways. Basically the only change would be the player gets to delay his decision about whether to turn pro or not until after the draft and has a better idea of the situation he's getting into.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I liked it. "What do you mean, which one?"

Sad that you can't see a black person anywhere on the internet without a bunch of racists posting dumb poo poo, though.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

pseudodragon posted:

Players that can make the money can make the money anyways. Basically the only change would be the player gets to delay his decision about whether to turn pro or not until after the draft and has a better idea of the situation he's getting into.

The change I'm highlighting is the player in question (drafted, goes to college) would start making NBA money at a later age, and would make less money over a career. If you come into the league at 18 versus 22 for example, you could be looking at getting a full additional contract if your career is long enough.

I also feel like basketball doesn't lend itself as well as baseball to player development taking place on another team outside the organization holding the player's rights. I don't know enough about hockey to speak on that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Carlisle speaking his mind.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pseudodragon posted:

A bad pick is a bad pick under any system. I know the league wants to protect teams from their own idiocy, but there are ways to do it without loving over kids that are ready or putting all the pressure on a 18-20 year old kid to make a life-changing decision that takes away the option of a fallback plan.

Shrug, It's not the Player's associations or the League's job to protect those who aren't yet in the player's association or the league. They own it to their members to do whatever is best for them.

It's complete bullshit. But hey welcome to professional sports.

The real way to do it would be to make the D-League way way more important. Increase the Pay, and make it attractive to a high schooler. That however would piss the everliving gently caress out of the NCAA, and also means the NBA would have to actually pay for player development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Really makes up for the fact that Rose can no longer just loving explode towards the rim and throw down often any more.

I bet Rose is now in the group of experienced players who still can jump out of the gym but are scared of landing because it hurts and is way dangerous.
see I figure Ty Lawson can still dunk and he gets chances to but look how frightening it would be for him to try it in game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVlvruAWgs
(his name is actually Tywon announcer sux)

• Locked thread