Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How is the Argent game, anyways? Flash in the pan or something new and innovative?

E: I have BattleCON and am into the brand and the ooo shiny of Level 99 in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

Bolded part is why I'm not (as?) worried about Argent. There isn't a random start for Orleans.

Ahh, that makes sense. Regardless, I hope you enjoy Argent if/when you get to play it!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How is the Argent game, anyways? Flash in the pan or something new and innovative?

E: I have BattleCON and am into the brand and the ooo shiny of Level 99 in general

I enjoyed it the one time I played it, but I'd have to play more to see if it's a flash in the pan. There might be a legitimate concern that the game is a bit too random, but I thought I had the best strategic game of everyone at the table and won, so :colbert: But because of the way victory works, in that it's not about the most number of points or whatever, but the most number of votes, it's entirely possible for people to stumble into votes that they weren't even pursuing. But at the same time, you also know what potential votes exist (and probably a handful of the actual voters available), so you can learn to play around it. You don't have to win them all, just the most, and I think that's where the people in my group were failing (I somehow did end up with like 8 out of 12 votes though). It plays a lot better if you're the type of person who can make judgment calls over whether to compete over a given vote or just let it go.

You also have to be really aggressive, since being passive doesn't really do much for you. Most of the spells involve dicking someone over and the entire ability of one mage is dicking someone over. Rushing out 4 of your mages in one round like I did was not really smart since it just set me up to be a huge target since I took 4 good spots. Oops. Luckily, there aren't that many gotcha moments, since everything is available for public viewing, but the counterpoint to that is that if you have AP you are so boned, especially since you may feel compelled to count up various things to see who might be voting for who. DO NOT play this with anyone who is AP prone.

The other thing that I sorta agree with is that it's a bit fiddly, especially whenever I have to count the number of WIS or INT I have available, which are likely spread across any number of cards. It's sort of a pain in the rear end, but not a dealbreaker. Also, the game takes up a horrendous amount of table space. Like, holy poo poo, I think it took up more than Eldritch Horror.

Overall I like it a lot, and if you're used to the standard L99 combination of clever mechanics and jank, you should like it too.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. Regardless, I hope you enjoy Argent if/when you get to play it!

I enjoyed it the one time I played it, but I'd have to play more to see if it's a flash in the pan. There might be a legitimate concern that the game is a bit too random, but I thought I had the best strategic game of everyone at the table and won, so :colbert: But because of the way victory works, in that it's not about the most number of points or whatever, but the most number of votes, it's entirely possible for people to stumble into votes that they weren't even pursuing. But at the same time, you also know what potential votes exist (and probably a handful of the actual voters available), so you can learn to play around it. You don't have to win them all, just the most, and I think that's where the people in my group were failing (I somehow did end up with like 8 out of 12 votes though). It plays a lot better if you're the type of person who can make judgment calls over whether to compete over a given vote or just let it go.

You also have to be really aggressive, since being passive doesn't really do much for you. Most of the spells involve dicking someone over and the entire ability of one mage is dicking someone over. Rushing out 4 of your mages in one round like I did was not really smart since it just set me up to be a huge target since I took 4 good spots. Oops. Luckily, there aren't that many gotcha moments, since everything is available for public viewing, but the counterpoint to that is that if you have AP you are so boned, especially since you may feel compelled to count up various things to see who might be voting for who. DO NOT play this with anyone who is AP prone.

The other thing that I sorta agree with is that it's a bit fiddly, especially whenever I have to count the number of WIS or INT I have available, which are likely spread across any number of cards. It's sort of a pain in the rear end, but not a dealbreaker. Also, the game takes up a horrendous amount of table space. Like, holy poo poo, I think it took up more than Eldritch Horror.

Overall I like it a lot, and if you're used to the standard L99 combination of clever mechanics and jank, you should like it too.

From watching videos of it and reading review it strikes me as the type of game that has some really cool ideas and underlying design, but needed whatever the board game equivalent is to a good editor. There needed to be someone to keep the desinger in check, which would have involved removing or paring down some of the gameplay systems in order to keep the game tighter and more streamlined. It seems like a game that would be very difficult to actually get to the table, because of the large set up time, huge amount of table space, demanding upfront learning curve, and general high amount of fiddliness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Megasabin posted:

whatever the board game equivalent is to a good editor
A designer who understands the point of playtesting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm going to miss the start of the demo for Argent because of lovely traffic but I don't get the feeling the game needs to be tighter. It's not a straight up euro, it's a Euro Ameritrash hybrid and I'm fine with that. I might miss the demo entirely but if so I'll just buy it if it's in the Dealer room.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Megasabin posted:

From watching videos of it and reading review it strikes me as the type of game that has some really cool ideas and underlying design, but needed whatever the board game equivalent is to a good editor. There needed to be someone to keep the desinger in check, which would have involved removing or paring down some of the gameplay systems in order to keep the game tighter and more streamlined. It seems like a game that would be very difficult to actually get to the table, because of the large set up time, huge amount of table space, demanding upfront learning curve, and general high amount of fiddliness.

Honestly, set up time wasn't the biggest thing in the world. It's no worse than, say, Mage Knight, in that you just have a bunch of decks and create a market for them. Bag up every player's pieces, draft the mages, and you're good to go on the game. Set up and tear down shouldn't take more than 15 minutes each.

Gameplay-wise, it wasn't that hard to learn if you already understand the basics of worker placement, and turns flowed really well afterwards (note that this is probably because a lot of people went for Planar studies, so mages got on the board super fast). The biggest hit to flow was learning what each Spell did, which symbols sorta help with, but people still wanted to read them. But the point is that the "learning curve" of the game isn't in the mechanics of playing the game, but more in the strategies of playing it well. I think that's an okay trait if your game is compelling enough for people to want to come back to it after fumbling around the first game, which is a person to person thing. It's a strong enough game for me to come back to it, but I won't begrudge anyone who says "gently caress this" and goes back to Agricola or something as their worker placement of choice.

It's definitely an intimidating game that I wouldn't recommend as any sort of gateway game or even an intro to worker placement games, though.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

I don't know where this sentiment about Tragedy Looper only having 10 scenarios comes from. The instructions make it pretty clear the scenarios it comes with are only examples, you are supposed to make your own like you are running a D&D game. I guess creating your own content is an alien concept to boardgamers? :shrug:

Personally I am a big boardgamer these days and play approximately zero RPGs, where once I was a pretty serious RPG dork, precisely because I can't be bothered to put effort into content creation. That aspect of Tragedy Looper is not attractive to me and perhaps I am not alone.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

SuperKlaus posted:

Personally I am a big boardgamer these days and play approximately zero RPGs, where once I was a pretty serious RPG dork, precisely because I can't be bothered to put effort into content creation. That aspect of Tragedy Looper is not attractive to me and perhaps I am not alone.

It's really not that much creation. You can just pick one plot, two subplots, pick out a few incidents, assign a number of days/loops, and you're good to go. Probably wanna run it through in your head once or twice to make sure it's sane, but that's really about it. Tweaking it beyond that would just be to make it balanced. It can happen as fast as 10 minutes. If you work at it, maybe an hour.

It's nothing at all like making a D&D campaign. At all.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pander posted:

It's really not that much creation. You can just pick one plot, two subplots, pick out a few incidents, assign a number of days/loops, and you're good to go. Probably wanna run it through in your head once or twice to make sure it's sane, but that's really about it. Tweaking it beyond that would just be to make it balanced. It can happen as fast as 10 minutes. If you work at it, maybe an hour.

It's nothing at all like making a D&D campaign. At all.

it can be literally no effort. I just opened the tragedy looper forum on BGG and bam, look, a bunch of custom scenarios people made and posted.

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1449632/tragedy-looper/variants

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lorini, One month ago posted:

Love it. 2014 top five for sure.

Lorini posted:

Yep it ran out of steam for us, selling it at the Con this weekend. It's simply not well balanced.

LORINI!!!!!!! :argh:

You were the whole reason I backed the KS.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Board gamers are a fickle breed.

This is why I tend to not even rate a game until 10ish plays.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Anyone played Heroes Wanted? I'd like to know if it works as a pure co-op or not.

It says that there is a common goal (the villain) but the hero with the most fame "wins". Is this just an MVP sort of thing, or does playing it as pure co-op break it somehow because the players are 'supposed' to be not in complete collusion/co-operation?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I liked Tragedy Looper, and everyone should try it out because it's unique, but we sold it after we'd each played a few times. Once we'd sort of been through the paces and done it as an experience, nobody really wanted to go back and play it as a game. I think, similar to Mice & Mystics, that many groups will get some fun out of first plays but never get through all the scenarios.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone tried the Mage Knight vassal mod?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

jmzero posted:

I liked Tragedy Looper, and everyone should try it out because it's unique, but we sold it after we'd each played a few times. Once we'd sort of been through the paces and done it as an experience, nobody really wanted to go back and play it as a game. I think, similar to Mice & Mystics, that many groups will get some fun out of first plays but never get through all the scenarios.

It can be tiring in the sense that it really exercises the deductive part of your brain. One play a night is all I can really handle. But I still look forward to replays because it's a wonderful cat-and-mouse adversarial game that has almost no luck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crackbone posted:

Don't back Kickstarters.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Has anyone tried the Mage Knight vassal mod?

Its good. Stelas ran some PBF games with it a while back. PM me if you want the latest version of the expansion mod, don't think its widely available.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Crackbone posted:

And will regret selling it in a year when an expansion comes out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I still enjoy Orleans even after ~10 plays or so (though my components are wearing, so I'll have to learn how to use the laser cutter at work at some point). Going to give it a bit of a rest though, but that's primarily because I just played it too often in too short a time. There's also some replay value in how the board starts out, as it changes the value of certain actions.

Are there any other simultaneous play games like Orleans, 7 Wonders, and Roll for the Galaxy? I've found that games with simultaneous play are a hell of a lot more fun since there's so much less downtime. Ideally I'd like to play another worker placement type game. My ideal play time is under 2 hours though, which is a bit limiting when it comes to some of the classics.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
SORRY Crackbone! We didn't discover this until our most recent play. And as Jedit says, if all the players are experienced, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there any good resources for someone just starting out painting board game miniatures? My friend painted some of his games minis (he does war gaming so he's pretty good at it) and drat it looks so much better with color on them. I wanna do it with a few of my games but have no idea how to even start

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
There's the mini painting thread in this forum! There's a newbie section three posts in, and about a million links for anything that you'd need. If you have more specific questions, there's a ton of great painters that hang around in it too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Are there any other simultaneous play games like Orleans, 7 Wonders, and Roll for the Galaxy? I've found that games with simultaneous play are a hell of a lot more fun since there's so much less downtime. Ideally I'd like to play another worker placement type game. My ideal play time is under 2 hours though, which is a bit limiting when it comes to some of the classics.

Historia is simultaneous play then independent resolution, like Orleans. About half the turn in Sylla happens simultaneously and the other half is quite short.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't back Kickstarters.

I normally don't, but it was already released at Essen to a lot of acclaim. A few people in here echoed that sentiment.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Anyone played Heroes Wanted? I'd like to know if it works as a pure co-op or not.

I haven't played it but based on videos, I don't think it would. Most of the secondary objectives seem to be there for the sake of giving you ways of scoring more points than other people, and there are mechanics for directly attacking other players. The whole game seems to be balanced around the idea of trying to get the most points, taking potshots at the other players if it serves your purpose, and doing stuff like intentionally holding off on finishing off the antagonist so you can score some more points first. It doesn't look insanely cutthroat or anything, but I don't think trying to play it as a pure co-op would be satisfying.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks, I kind of had a feeling but couldn't really tell from the stuff I read.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Hopefully Orleans should have some trade value for a while.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Dungeon Lords might work for you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Someone on another site is trying to remember an old board game, and I'm curious as to what it is:

"I think it was fantasy-themed. It had two portal type things (it might have been one in the middle, but I'm thinking it was one on each side). If you went in a portal, everyone on your side of the board had a certain number of turns to get in the portal before you opened that side up (doubling the size of the board on that side) and I think killing them. The "portal" was on the underside and the top bits had holes over them, so your piece stayed in the same spot when you opened the board."

Any ideas?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Key to the Kingdom, I owned it when I was a kid.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Darksaber posted:

Thanks!

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule

Darksaber posted:

Yeah, we bought it from a charity shop last year; then binned it after the first play.

Nobody should be subjected to something like that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zylen posted:

Yeah, we bought it from a charity shop last year; then binned it after the first play.

You monster! You should have at the very least re-donated it. Some people would have been more than happy to give such a game a good home :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zylen posted:

It was a great game as a kid. I expect I'd been taken in by the novelty of the gimmick. I guess I should give my copy to Goodwill for another nerd to discover and be disappointed thereby.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Haven't checked this thread out in so long there is a new thread :/

So what does the hive mind think of Star Wars imperial assault, civilization and pressure cooker?
Those are the 3 games I'm interested in adding to my collection and trust goon opinions

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Which version of Civilization?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Which version of Civilization?

Didn't realize there were multiple ones
This one
I do believe is the one I was looking at

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There's a much older one than that which is even longer and more complicated.

Civ is pretty much an archetypal fantasy flight game. it has a big, randomly generated map, tonnes of cards and components, and quite a lot of luck. It's not mechanically tight, and it's easy to get into death spirals if you're not careful. But it is fun. There are, however, MUCH better 4x games.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's the consensus on Istanbul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

BonHair posted:

What's the consensus on Istanbul?

I liked Constantinople better.