Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

everyone should go to college, in my opinion. also: it's not a vocational training program and we should stop treating it as such.

also colleges should aggressively impose gen ed/core curriculum classes

dead white males? not relevant to your stem major? shut the gently caress up, you're going to read Shakespeare and homer

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

everyone should go to college, in my opinion. also: it's not a vocational training program and we should stop treating it as such.

then it should be legally required and free

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
obviously works by dead white women and dead nonwhite people should also be included in the canon

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

dead white males? not relevant to your stem major? shut the gently caress up, you're going to read Shakespeare and homer

yes, there's tremendous value in having a culturally literate society.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

obviously works by dead white women and dead nonwhite people should also be included in the canon

what about living white men, white women, and nonwhite people

also: more foreign language should be required than two lower division classes for idiots

also also: latin is not a valid foreign language

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Ideally college should be free. Legally requiring it is just cruel though. Some people want to open a construction business and do well at that, some people want to learn about tensors. Both should be able to pursue happiness without economic suffering. If we eat the one percent, the new one percent will probably do a better job to make sure we don't do it again.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
agreed

we need to critically evaluate and broaden the scope of what we consider cultural literacy

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Peztopiary posted:

Ideally college should be free. Legally requiring it is just cruel though. Some people want to open a construction business and do well at that, some people want to learn about tensors. Both should be able to pursue happiness without economic suffering. If we eat the one percent, the new one percent will probably do a better job to make sure we don't do it again.

Joementum posted:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

everyone should be allowed to go to college for free, with the corollary being that nobody should be allowed to go to law school for any price

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

if it's not required, how do you prevent it from becoming required to get a basic entry level job?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

also: more foreign language should be required than two lower division classes for idiots

all great artists are dead

- kurt cobain

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

icantfindaname posted:

everyone should be allowed to go to college for free, with the corollary being that nobody should be allowed to go to law school for any price

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
take all STEM classes and move them to vocational schools lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Okay, count Latin in a separate category. Make everyone learn Latin plus another language

mooyashi posted:

take all STEM classes and move them to vocational schools lol

Math is not a vocation, it is a humanity

Sciences can go away though, beyond teaching about the scientific method. Memorizing electron valence shells and poo poo can get out

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
General strike at the company who idiotically tried to impose having a degree as a basic requirement to work an assembly line. Also decimate (by firing them) the middle management cohort that thought it was a good idea. Make that a pre-condition before you come to the table.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mooyashi posted:

take all STEMengineering classes and move them to vocational schools lol

Also, rename "Computer Science" as "Computer Studies" and put it in the Humanities. :getin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

i read shakespear in high school...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

wait what if the continents came to you

like do they have to be "away" matches so to speak

away games weighted half for europe, antarctica, and asia; double for south america (minus argentina), africa. normal points apply for oceania, north america away games

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

forbidden lesbian posted:

read it again.

also best high school rumor was that they would not teach a certain Shakespeare work due to "values" issues

guess which one

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 14, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Joementum that study doesn't say what you think it says.

SAT and ACT tests are basically IQ tests. They're not the most important thing or even a very important thing but they're not trash and they predict a lot of real world stuff better than high school GPA does.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

Joementum posted: posted:

STEM majors deliberately fail to learn a drat thing from the bare minimum humanities courses they're required to take. If we value a culturally literate society (which there is no evidence of) we can do that through other means than requiring people to attend four years of college. An actual Discovery or History channel could do it. That they've become what they've become indicates we don't give two fucks about the classics though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

read it again.

also best high school experience was that they would not teach a certain Shakespeare work due to "values" issues

guess which one

i read julius ceasar again, i liked that one a lot

um the values one is probably the taming of the shrew

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pangstrom posted:

SAT and ACT tests are basically IQ tests.

The prosecution rests.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

away games weighted half for europe, antarctica, and asia; double for south america (minus argentina), africa. normal points apply for oceania, north america away games

hm brb tabulating

it's like a fifa election gone awry

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

one doesnt read shakespeare

one watches shakespeare performed downtown and is actually entertained by the drama

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nope though i will clarify that it was a rumor since there was no explicit policy

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

read it again.

also best high school rumor was that they would not teach a certain Shakespeare work due to "values" issues

guess which one

Taming of the Shrew?

edit: god dammit

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Badger of Basra posted:

i loved those uspol posters who were mad latin wouldn't be considerd a valid foreign language option on its own because "it's so useful"

as if spanish/french/italian etc wouldnt work just as well

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

its good

unfortunately a lot lost from the books to TV as without the inner monologue being available Bosch comes off far less crazy and there's no longer endless digressions on the proper way to organize case files or jazz music but it works

they managed to nail the characters well, though some of the changes are...interesting. Lance Reddick as Irving is like a 180 from what makes the character in the books, but he does pull off the whole Mr. Clean look

they picked one of the more fantastical books to jump in to the whole setting with and its one of the slightly better cases with worst love interest though. its important to keep on mind that the setting is about adhering to a genre formula so if you're looking for the wire this really isn't the place for that

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i have a CS degree and went to tech school btw :ssh:

i've also had the opportunity to take classes in the humanities and social sciences post-grad, which i've enjoyed considerably.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

icantfindaname posted:

Math is not a vocation, it is a humanity

Sciences can go away though, beyond teaching about the scientific method. Memorizing electron valence shells and poo poo can get out

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, rename "Computer Science" as "Computer Studies" and put it in the Humanities. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aw, you gotta read/see a play more than once. And if you liked Julius Ceasar you might like Macbeth or Richard III.

Values one was either Titus or Twelth Night, idk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

nope though i will clarify that it was a rumor since there was no explicit policy

man trying to guess one play out of the 5 billion he made is tough!

maybe the Merchant of Venice?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

pangstrom posted:

SAT and ACT tests are basically IQ tests.

Yeah I had a great SAT score and a garbage GPA. Can you guess which child I am?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

hm brb tabulating

it's like a fifa election gone awry

if your gfa is above 3.0 a semester, you're doing pretty well. above a 4.0 and you can graduate with honors.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

man trying to guess one play out of the 5 billion he made is tough!

maybe the Merchant of Venice?

hint: this was in the south

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

othello

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

was it othello, or, the story of the dirty moor who ruins everything?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
it's also a difficult play to stage in vermont

• Locked thread