Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Yeah but how many of those are actually liquid cocaine and food coloring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't know about other pens since all I have is two pilot metros BUT I got the medium nib when it first came out and was pretty happy with it. I bought the fine nib a week or two ago and I really love it. It helps that I could get it in purple Leopard when I couldn't before. I like writing with both equally but I really like sketching with the fine point.

So maybe look at the different body styles for the metro if you like the one you have?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

grack posted:

Yeah but how many of those are actually liquid cocaine and food coloring?

They're all liquid cocaine. That's the problem.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Webasaur posted:

So, still happy with the Pilot Metro I got forever ago in Mediium nib. But I know that they've got a Metro in a fine nib now, and it's something I've been eyeballing every time I look at fountain pens. The question I have is, are there other Pilot pens that would come in that fine nib, and what would be the difference in getting one of those versus another Metro? Because it is such a solid pen, I'm just trying to think why I would want to get a different model by Pilot. So aesthetically, or functionality wise, are there better Pilot pens?

You want to get a Kakuno because you can swap the nib into the Metro and have a happy smiley face on your pen which is the cutest goddamn thing ever. :colbert:

In terms of pricepoint there really isn't much from Pilot that compares. The plumix is cute and looks kind of like a squid, and the nibs are compatible, but they're all italic, which is the opposite of Fine.

Outside of the Metro pricepoint, I really like my Custom 74. It's F and writes like a dream, but it's also a solid gold nib. :v: The only bad things I hear about the Vanishing Point are how small the ink capacity is and some people don't like that the clip is also where you hold the pen. Both can be had in Fine nibs though. :shrug:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've been super happy with my metro F, and I have a kakuno in fine showing up tomorrow so I can nib swap. I've got some medium nib varsities and they're just too wide for the sort of writing I do (even if the colors have been pretty good for sneaking in extra highlights in the middle of my notes).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you want an even finer nib for your Metro, you can get a Pilot Penmanship with an EF nib.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My Asapens Athlete just came in. I really like it.
http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-athlete-ebonite-fountain-pen-india-online

It has a MASSIVE ink capacity, by virtue of being an eyedropper filler, and apparently it is really rather good at not burping ink all over the place when low (we'll see), the color is a very nice rippled brown, and the threads are ridiculously smooth. It is fantastic.
Or it would be if it did not come with a rather major issue.
The nib it comes with is by FAR the worst nib I've had. Ridiculously scratchy, AND the slit between the tines is weirdly angled, one of the tines nearly has no tipping.

So, what is one to do? Well, fortunately they put a spare nib!
Except, that the spare nib does not fit. At all. It is smaller than the original nib, and thicker it seems.
It was pretty hard to remove the original nib, but it seems impossible to put the replacement they provided in it. Dangit!

So, what is one to do? Why, of course! Cannibalize old stuff!
So my trusty Jinhao X450 is the only pen with a nib of a similar enough size. And it just so happens that the ebony feed with the jinhao nib FITS PERFECTLY, and should be easy enough to remove once I need to remove it.

Good excuse as any to buy a different 450 in the near future, I guess! And now I will have spare parts. Not a spare nib though.
Also I should get a number 6 nib.

This really is an addiction.

Useless without pics. End result:

Worst nib ever

Really scratchy

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 11, 2015

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Pilot parallel four packs up on mass drop. They require specific cartridges but you can get all sorts of color and play with gradients. Its a fun pen, good price for a four pack.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can also get the set for $32 right now (w/no shipping if you have Prime) on Amazon which is the same as Massdrop+shipping right now, but if it drops to the $27 or $25 price points that would be hard to beat.
BTW Stormy Grey is currently $23-something w/Prime shipping and in stock in case anyone still needs a bottle, noticed it while I was price checking.

Has anyone used any of the Kokuyo notebook covers? (this kind) I was looking at refillable journals and planners and it appears to be an attractive and durable-looking cover. I've used one of their Campus notebooks and the nicer Mio line as well and liked the paper pretty well and that seems to be what they're made for but looks like anything of the right size and cover style would fit, and going that route looks a little less expensive than the more high-end planners while still being fountain-pen friendly.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 11, 2015

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I use that exact cover for some of my notebooks. Two years of use and it doesn't really show any wear - nothing has broken either. I've put both 30-sheet and 60-sheet notebooks in it with no trouble.

To be fair I paid around 11 bucks for it here in Japan rather than the 18 bucks Amazon is quoting you, but if you want a cover it's a perfectly decent choice.

edit - forgot to mention: if you want a really, really nice fountain pen friendly notebook from Kokuyo, see if you can track down their notebooks made with CYO-BO paper. Mio was made to be thin and light; CYO-BO is made thick and velvety, and handles fountain pen ink astonishingly well.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 11, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks; they're like $22.50 on Jetpens so at least the Amazon price is better than that. I was thinking about maybe going with Apica notebooks; they're fairly inexpensive and the one I have has very little ghosting or bleed-through so you can write on both sides of the page which is nice.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks; they're like $22.50 on Jetpens so at least the Amazon price is better than that. I was thinking about maybe going with Apica notebooks; they're fairly inexpensive and the one I have has very little ghosting or bleed-through so you can write on both sides of the page which is nice.

Coincidentally, I'm getting some pilot Parallels in from Amazon today. Can't wait to do 100% of my writing in fraktur and piss off all my co-workers

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hello Fellow Goons! I have just started in this habit by purchasing a Lamy Safari, however I fear I may have hosed up the pen, as when I was figuring out how to insert the cartridge I by accident pressed down a little harder than usual on the tip of the pen and heard a slight metallic sound. Now I'm writing with it, but I notice that there seems to be a problem with the ink coming out (I can write on a page, but there are letters which appear to have more ink than others). Is this normal in a brand new pen? Did I gently caress up the nib?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm trying to figure out how you pressed on the tip of the pen inserting the cartridge, but yeah don't do that. You may well have hosed up the nib if you're not exerting different amounts of pressure and you're getting wildly different amounts of ink. Good news, replacement nibs are like ten bucks.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
By putting the pen diagonally to a hard surface and not realizing how much force I would have to apply to put the cartridge in. But I think it is mostly a problem of putting too much pressure at certain points and not enought at others. I notice it is most noticeable at certain points in the same letters.

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 12, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just got my Pilot Metro today. Not pressing down to write and the ink coming out so smoothly is kind of a mindfuck for me right now. :v: Writes like a dream on the Leuchtturm1917 notebook I got and actually does pretty decently on my cheaper notebooks for classes, but I guess that's more down to the ink?

Medium nib does pretty well at Arabic, even when I scribble in a margin.

Fake edit: seriously I can't get over how consistently things are coming out

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Yeah, I really wish I'd known about fountain pens back when I was doing a lot of hand-writing for work/interview notes, would've saved me a ton of writer's cramp.

Do you have any photos of your Arabic done with fountain pen? For kicks I've been practicing in Cyrillic and in Farsi, but my handwriting is terrible in every language. Still feels nice to write though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I just got my Pilot Metro today. Not pressing down to write and the ink coming out so smoothly is kind of a mindfuck for me right now. :v: Writes like a dream on the Leuchtturm1917 notebook I got and actually does pretty decently on my cheaper notebooks for classes, but I guess that's more down to the ink?

Whatup Leuchturm1917 + pilot metro bro (or girl).

I've got a fine nib + 54th massachusetts in the metro, and the kakuno is a fine nib filled with the green ink that used to be in a pilot varsity (don't really like medium nibs, I need to shove as much on the page as I can!)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aggh. I think I lost my Gama Airborne. I cannot find it anywhere.

First pen I lose and it is one of my favorites/daily carry things.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Despair posted:

I've got a fine nib + 54th massachusetts in the metro, and the kakuno is a fine nib filled with the green ink that used to be in a pilot varsity (don't really like medium nibs, I need to shove as much on the page as I can!)

What are you drinking?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The last of my bourbon (nothing special, just some Bulleit)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Anybody have any experience with the FPR Triveni's? I was looking at my pen collection and realized that I don't actually have a red pen, so I decided to take a gamble and got one of the Triveni Juniors in mottled red ebonite with a flex nib. Their flex nibs are supposed to write at the same width as their EF nibs when you're not flexing (Noodler's nibs tend to be like that too in my experience) so it seemed like the best bang for my buck. With the whole thing clocking in at like $35 or so I feel pretty confident in my purchase, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any first hand opinions about them.

e: Bulleit is pretty good boubon. If you can get it try Cedar Ridge, that's my current favorite.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I dropped by the Goulet Pens website this morning and my eye caught some Korean text in one of their carousel banner images. Apparently, Noodler's has an ink called "Park Red":

http://www.gouletpens.com/n19074/p/N19074

Pretty hilarious bottle label design.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A while back I got the free bottle of 54th Massachusetts Goulet was giving out (a holiday thing? I don't remember now) and I hate to complain about a freebie and I do like the color but this stuff kinda stinks. I don't hunch over my writing at all but I can definitely smell a chemical-y odor when I write with it even at arms' length. I only have 4 other Noodler's inks and couldn't remember any of them being particularly smelly when in use, so I opened the other bottles and took a quick sniff and while they all have a distinct odor 54th Mass is definitely the most pungent of the bunch. I've passed on buying bottles of some inks that I got samples of because they were similarly rank although I don't remember offhand what they were (various shades of black, mostly). At least the smell evaporates fairly quickly as the ink dries.

Also of note, if you have a bottle remember to shake it up if it's been undisturbed for a while. I didn't think to do that at first and it was horribly washed out because all the pigment had settled.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I met an old guy on the train today and noticed he was writing in a fairly nice notebook with a cheap Bic pen.

A cheap Bic fountain pen. I said something, he said it was like $2 and passed me the pen and notebook to try it out.

It writes beautifully. My new friend* gave me the pen and I love it. The nib just sails over the page, and it doesn't even bleed except on the cheapest paper, and even then if I write fast enough it's just a bolder line.

So if any of you have friends you want to convert, or just want a travel pen you don't want to worry about, I recommend these. They come in packs of 1, 2, 3, and probably 10.

Edit:

Noodler's ink is just pretty stanky, in my experience. Nathan is crazy and his ink smells weird, but drat if it's not some of the nicest looking ink out there.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 14, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I met an old guy on the train today and noticed he was writing in a fairly nice notebook with a cheap Bic pen.

A cheap Bic fountain pen. I said something, he said it was like $2 and passed me the pen and notebook to try it out.

It writes beautifully. My new friend* gave me the pen and I love it. The nib just sails over the page, and it doesn't even bleed except on the cheapest paper, and even then if I write fast enough it's just a bolder line.

So if any of you have friends you want to convert, or just want a travel pen you don't want to worry about, I recommend these. They come in packs of 1, 2, 3, and probably 10.

Any opinion on those vs varsities?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

papasyhotcakes posted:

By putting the pen diagonally to a hard surface and not realizing how much force I would have to apply to put the cartridge in. But I think it is mostly a problem of putting too much pressure at certain points and not enought at others. I notice it is most noticeable at certain points in the same letters.

You can insert cartridges with the nib pointing anywhere, preferably not on a surface. Grip the section, squeeze in the cartridge, it won't squirt ink since modern pens (i.e. anything that you didn't have to go out of your way to buy as an antique) have feeds to soak up excess ink.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Anybody stop into the LA Pen Show? The local SF pen posse is going nuts (as is their way).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Greg Minuskin posted that he's got a lot of awesome vintage flex pens from the LA Pen Show that he'll be offering up for sale in the near future. I'm pretty excited about that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My Lamy 2000 from Massdrop arrived just now. I haven't written much with it yet, but drat this is a nice pen :stwoon:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Any opinion on those vs varsities?

I'm pretty sure all of those disposable fountain pens use the same nib and feed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Greg Minuskin posted that he's got a lot of awesome vintage flex pens from the LA Pen Show that he'll be offering up for sale in the near future. I'm pretty excited about that.

Just a fair warning as he has a bit of a ego problem according to other FP club members. I'd avoid him myself as it's not worth the hassle imho.

I like to enjoy my hobbies tyvm.

I agree how I sometimes will not use some inks because the smell makes me ill. Sailor, Iro, Pilot, and Noodlers' are fine.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
if this is the pen, it looks like a Varsity shaped nib that's the size of a Preppy nib. At the end of the day they're all ~$3.00 pens with steel nibs, so I don't imagine they're very different. The only thing that I would speculate about is that it's probably more of a nail like a Preppy, given that it's a shorter nib overall.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\e: I've still never managed to get in on one of his flash pen sales (those things sell in less than 10 minutes sometimes, and I've got a job damnit). I highly doubt I'll get in on anything from whatever he's purchased now, but the pictures will be neat to look at on his site.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

howe_sam posted:

My Lamy 2000 from Massdrop arrived just now. I haven't written much with it yet, but drat this is a nice pen :stwoon:

:hfive:
I also just got a massdrop package I haven't written much with yet!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Yeah, I really wish I'd known about fountain pens back when I was doing a lot of hand-writing for work/interview notes, would've saved me a ton of writer's cramp.

Do you have any photos of your Arabic done with fountain pen? For kicks I've been practicing in Cyrillic and in Farsi, but my handwriting is terrible in every language. Still feels nice to write though.
:)

That's just on some filler paper from Staples. The Leuchtturm1917 I got is only pocket sized. I'm actually waffling on ordering some Rhodia graph or dot paper in pad form for assignments. $9 each is hard to swallow but some of my composition books for notes have been going on strong since high school, so I figure they'll last me a while.

Mr. Despair posted:

Whatup Leuchturm1917 + pilot metro bro (or girl).

Gal, and nice! Is 54th massachusetts the ink that comes in the cartridge because it's a much nicer ink than I expected. Then again, I'm comparing to ballpoints. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

$9 each is hard to swallow but some of my composition books for notes have been going on strong since high school, so I figure they'll last me a while.

TBH, I use crappy normal paper from Back to School sales for school notes. Then I recycle them later on :v:

I only use EF or EEF nibs so YMMV. I don't care about my notes as mostly it's just reminders for me to read certain sections or homework assignments.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've been using the ARC system paper from Staples with a F-nib Metro for notes, there's no bleed through or anything with that paper. It's a bit more expensive than your average filler paper, but I like the whole ring system since I can slot in handouts or printed pages wherever they need to go in with the notes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

:)

That's just on some filler paper from Staples. The Leuchtturm1917 I got is only pocket sized. I'm actually waffling on ordering some Rhodia graph or dot paper in pad form for assignments. $9 each is hard to swallow but some of my composition books for notes have been going on strong since high school, so I figure they'll last me a while.

Gal, and nice! Is 54th massachusetts the ink that comes in the cartridge because it's a much nicer ink than I expected. Then again, I'm comparing to ballpoints. :v:

Nope, it's a noodler's ink, I switched to it pretty fast because I wanted something as permanent as possible. http://www.gouletpens.com/N19071/p/N19071

With the fine nib it winds up being essentially black on everything I've tested it so far, but I did put some in a varsity and there's a lot more color/variation with the medium nib.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Computation-Letter-Sheets-35500/dp/B001J87JTM is the sort of paper I used to use for everything, as far as assignments and stuff goes. Probably not great for fountain pens, but I have a ton of it stockpiled now.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Just got my shipment of Noodler's Blue Ghost in and UV reactive ink is some fun stuff to play around with.

Also I've already gotten it on my fingers and face. I forgot how full Noodler ink bottles are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Can I use bottled ink with pilot parallel cartridges or does that somehow screw them up?