Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

Ehud posted:

lol our new DC is dumb

I wonder it there is a prize counter where I can redeem my juice points.

Still better than the Joker Phillips and Harry Potter ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Events have always conspired so that I've never been able to attend our spring game, but I've never really gone out of my way to try and fit it in, either. I'm plenty fine with just watching it on TV or catching the replay later. Even in a football-starved state, I tend to get bored of spring games halfway through. At a certain point, it just stops resembling actual football (and with the way some teams set theirs up, it never does in the first place).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dilber posted:

Instead of hiring Kevin Patrick, who would loving love to coach D-line at Miami, Al Golden hired Randy Melvin, a dude that has been a journeymen for his entire career, and was fired after 1 year with the Bucs.

Oh, he also coached under Al at Temple.

gently caress you Al Golden. gently caress you.

Melvin is a solid coach, you're overreacting.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

lol our new DC is dumb

Someone needs to come to a more definite decision on when to use caps and when not to use caps.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This'll be Baylor's first year having a Spring-rear end Spring Game instead of just an open scrimmage. Having a stadium on campus for the first time in decades will do that, I suppose. I'm excited to see what they do with it. At the very least, I'll be intruiged to see if Jarrett Stidham has any chance of overthrowing Art Briles' love for veteran players and taking over the QB role.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
VT's spring games have always been on or around my birthday, so I considered it a present to get to watch some football-like substance in what's usually nice weather for a couple hours outside. Also, tailgating in springtime should be encouraged for any reason, might as well make it football.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm also curious (as an outsider) how will do. They looked unstoppable in a few games this season, and the bowl game was the kind of win that leaves a pretty strong impression.

The new DC (Robb Smith) seemed to do pretty well last year without the greatest secondary and turned our linebacker corps around. The real story for the season was the way Philon, Spaight, and Flowers gelled and they are all gone. The offense will be mature so I expect it will be better than last year but I predict the defense will take a step back. Hopefully we win as many as last year but I'm not counting on it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Since the coaching carousel thread is closed:

Nebraska DB Coach Charlton Warren — the lone holdover from Pelini's staff — is reportedly taking the same job at UNC.

If true, that sucks. Very good recruiter.

E: Apparently it came as no surprise to Nebraska or even some of the media; Warren transparent through the courting

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 13, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

Events have always conspired so that I've never been able to attend our spring game, but I've never really gone out of my way to try and fit it in, either. I'm plenty fine with just watching it on TV or catching the replay later. Even in a football-starved state, I tend to get bored of spring games halfway through. At a certain point, it just stops resembling actual football (and with the way some teams set theirs up, it never does in the first place).

Yeah, they're fun, but nothing monumental. My friends and I just always treat it as a nice excuse to go up to Clemson, tailgate a little bit, walk around town, get food, watch like one half of the game, and then go drink some more.

Also, all of the shops use it as an excuse to get rid of old stock from the previous season so we all buy tshirts and hoodies and poo poo at crazy discounts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Georgia Tech D-Line coach Mike Pelton is interviewing for the same position at Oklahoma. If he goes, he would be the only (or maybe first?) GT coach to leave this year. OU's lowest-paid assistants make $100,000 more than he does currently.

Pelton's pretty highly regarded among Tech fans, it'd be a shame to see him go.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A newly signed BYU running back is gonna have his scholarship pulled after assaulting a prostitute.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865621790/Key-BYU-recruit-Charles-West-arrested-for-aggravated-assault-police-say.html

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Clearly he was just trying to enlighten her to The Mormon Jesus' plan...

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does it count if he was beating her with the Good Book?

Really thats a pretty lovely thing to do. I have a whole thing about why prostitution should be legal and it is mostly so the people working don't have poo poo like this happen to them.

E: Looks like UGA WR coach Tony Ball is going to end up at LSU according to every website known to man. I feel like we could make a 2015 coaching carousel thread, title ideas?

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 13, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

lol our new DC is dumb

You redeem juice points with GPD to get out of arrests. Based on acquired juice points determines if you can escape a misdemeanor or a felony.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa promoted Brian Ferentz to "run game coordinator" which is a meaningless title to ease his inevitable transition to OC and then head coach. I assume our running game will continue to consist of two plays (outside and inside zone). When he was originally hired I'd hoped his time under Belichick would add some creativity to the offense but loving lol

They also moved LeVar Woods from outside linebacker coach to tight end coach, but those are both completly meaningless jobs so whatever.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

Iowa promoted Brian Ferentz to "run game coordinator" which is a meaningless title to ease his inevitable transition to OC and then head coach. I assume our running game will continue to consist of two plays (outside and inside zone). When he was originally hired I'd hoped his time under Belichick would add some creativity to the offense but loving lol

They also moved LeVar Woods from outside linebacker coach to tight end coach, but those are both completly meaningless jobs so whatever.

Wouldn't Kirk only be allowed to appoint his idiot son (just assuming he's an idiot son) as successor if he were still successful? I thought Iowa was just running out the clock on Ferentz until the buyout was manageable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Wouldn't Kirk only be allowed to appoint his idiot son (just assuming he's an idiot son) as successor if he were still successful? I thought Iowa was just running out the clock on Ferentz until the buyout was manageable.
Depends on what they do with their incompetent AD. He really likes Kirk and I could see him continuing with Brian, and that's definitely the path Kirk is trying to set up. Kirk makes the school a ton of money (and has on balance been one of the best coaches in school history) so the administration really likes him, even if the fanbase is growing impatient. He has a lot of influence within the athletic department. Tom Brands jokingly calls him "the president"

I actually don't think his son is an idiot. He's a pretty good line coach. And even though he only got the job with the Pats because Kirk and Belichick are buddies from back in their Browns days, he reportedly was pretty well regarded within the team. It's posisble he could be pretty good once he doesn't have to adhere to Kirk's dumb outdated football philosophies.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Texas hired Brick Haley from LSU as our new DL coach and semi-legendary high school coach Jeff Traylor to handle special teams and tight ends.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Power 5 conference commissioners are considering making freshman of all sports ineligible.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Not every day you see a revoked rule come back later

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So the idea is that you are basically not allowed to do anything with the team or it is like a redshirt year? I don't see this changing a whole whole lot, to be honest

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I know this is the CFB thread but this is ridiculous for basketball. I hope the best players start going to foreign leagues instead of being forced to not play games for a year.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

I know this is the CFB thread but this is ridiculous for basketball. I hope the best players start going to foreign leagues instead of being forced to not play games for a year.

Yeah, if freshman can't play, every single player who is one and done would probably go to europe/china

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I would prefer that, actually. Athletes not actually interested in going to college probably shouldn't waste their time playing on a college team.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, if freshman can't play, every single player who is one and done would probably go to europe/china

poo poo or just sign with an agent and spend the year training and bulking up if they dont want to go overseas.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

The thing is other than making money this tends to be bad for their development. Euro teams don't want to waste time on guys who are going to bolt after one year so they just ride the pine and don't get very much time with the coaches. Chinese teams do, but Chinese basketball is so bad I don't know that it helps much either. Plus moving to a foreign country when you're 18 is a lot harder than people seem to think.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wonder what percentage of freshmen see meaningful playing time in the fist place

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

so stupid guy ‏@crudtown 1 hour ago posted:

@edsbs Jim Harbaugh did podcast w Tim Kawakami today, was asked best meal/resturaunt he ever had. Said Cracker Barrel without hesitating.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Murder him. His life isn't worth living.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This would obviously be a huge deal for basketball, but would this really change much for CFB? I get the impression that even places that constantly roll in the top-5 classes still usually only play a couple of their freshmen a year.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Deteriorata posted:

I would prefer that, actually. Athletes not actually interested in going to college probably shouldn't waste their time playing on a college team.
I'd honestly prefer it if all sports moved toward the MLB draft rules: you can either be drafted out of high school (onto some minor league team, generally) or you can be drafted 3 years later, nothing in between. Since baseball has a ton of draft rounds, this means everyone who wants to just get paid faster can do so, and a lot of the people left on college baseball teams are people who are at least somewhat invested in the idea of getting a college education.

The NFL is, of course, not at all interested in drafting high school students because physical development is so important to football, and because they seem perfectly fine with the idea of the FBS serving as their minor league.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Spiritus Nox posted:

This would obviously be a huge deal for basketball, but would this really change much for CFB? I get the impression that even places that constantly roll in the top-5 classes still usually only play a couple of their freshmen a year.

Looking at Ohio State, at least ten true freshman saw playing time this year. A few of them (Raekwon McMillan, Curtis Samuel, the kicker) had a significant impact.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't have the exact numbers, but Mora has played something like a dozen freshmen in each of the past couple of years. Obviously not all starters, but most of those got significant playing/development time.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

Murder him. His life isn't worth living.

Yep. This is me at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Entire interview is available here: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...igan-much-much/

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sash! posted:

Wonder what percentage of freshmen see meaningful playing time in the fist place

We had 2 on OL, 3-5 on DL, 3 WRs 1 LB ans 1 RB play a whole lot of snaps for fsu. so 7 - 10 kids out of a class of 20 incoming freshmen is quite a lot.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT started the most freshman in program history last year and were like #2 in the country for freshman starters.

This would be an unbelievably bad rule change so I doubt it happens.

Ticonderoguy
Feb 10, 2011
I sort of understand it for basketball, but it would suck for football. It would create depth problems at some schools (for example, Tennessee has a Jr. QB and 3 true freshmen backing him up) and it would hurt any program that has to rebuild because they can't sell immediate playing time anymore.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it sounds like this is designed to put pressure on the NBA to raise the minimum age.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It would be a garbage rule for idiots.

Ticonderoguy posted:

I sort of understand it for basketball, but it would suck for football. It would create depth problems at some schools (for example, Tennessee has a Jr. QB and 3 true freshmen backing him up) and it would hurt any program that has to rebuild because they can't sell immediate playing time anymore.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it sounds like this is designed to put pressure on the NBA to raise the minimum age.

The NBA's commissioner wants to raise the minimum age anyways. It's very very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

As of last night, it's been pretty much confirmed that UGA's WR Coach Tony Ball is 100% LSU bound. He wasn't always the best at recruiting, but he did a great job at developing blocking receivers. It will be curious who he sees move over, maybe our RB coach McClendon.

E: The pie in the sky thing from UGA folks seems to be Hines Ward, who apparently said his dream job would be to coach at UGA. It would be pretty cool, and Ward is amazing, but I just don't see that happening.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 14, 2015

• Locked thread