Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

mooyashi posted:

Yeah I had a great SAT score and a garbage GPA. Can you guess which child I am?
I mean, probabilisticly speaking you're the first born but that effect size is pretty itty bitty so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
what is "college" really

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

it's also a difficult play to stage in vermont

if the Dutch can do it...

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

SedanChair posted:

what is "college" really

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Warszawa posted:

ding ding ding

Haha of course it wasn't the one full of dismemberment and forced cannibalism. Of course. The black guy.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

SedanChair posted:

what is "college" really

a miserable pile of credits and loans

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

My Imaginary GF posted:

eh. some folks have poo poo hs gpas because they're unchallenged and bored off their rear end. the best predictor for success in college is capital available to one's family.

bored as gently caress and got in tons of trouble but I still managed a 3.4 or something at one of the best high schools in the nation. Axis of mega cool imo

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
shakespeares we read in hs: king lear, hamlet, othello, macbeth, coriolanus, titus andronicus

shakespeares we read in jr high: midsummer night's dream, macbeth, romeo and juliet

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

i have a CS degree and went to tech school btw :ssh:

i've also had the opportunity to take classes in the humanities and social sciences post-grad, which i've enjoyed considerably.

I started in CS myself, and Israeli degrees are more specialized so I didn't get a lot of humanities training. But it's common to discuss humanities, and I have quite a few colleagues who went on to do somewhat more humanistic things (one of them may finally be finishing his Philosophy PhD!).

I still wish I'd had some basic composition and history classes, though. I always feel underequipped when handling the humanities.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sharkie posted:

Aw, you gotta read/see a play more than once. And if you liked Julius Ceasar you might like Macbeth or Richard III.

Values one was either Titus or Twelth Night, idk.

the only thing i dont like about macbeth is that it was a perfect opportunity to have a girl kill him since that would have fulfilled the prophecy too

The Warszawa posted:

hint: this was in the south

i know other people answered it but Othello was my next guess

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
titus andronicus is under-represented in the american educational system

schools should have the budgets to pay for roving shakespeare troops to come and play titus andronicus, so that are children are instilled with proper republican virtues and understanding of power

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

forbidden lesbian posted:

the only thing i dont like about macbeth is that it was a perfect opportunity to have a girl kill him since that would have fulfilled the prophecy too

This is a good point.

My Imaginary GF posted:

shakespeares we read in hs: king lear, hamlet, othello, macbeth, coriolanus, titus andronicus

shakespeares we read in jr high: midsummer night's dream, macbeth, romeo and juliet

The romances :eng99:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I never read Shakespeare in school and I have no intension of going to back to read any now. I challenge you guys you tell me how this makes me not worthy of being called a responsible citizen. Cite me passages that belong in my political philosophy courses.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

site posted:

I never read Shakespeare in school and I have no intension of going to back to read any now. I challenge you guys you tell me how this makes me not worthy of being called a responsible citizen. Cite me passages that belong in my political philosophy courses.

et tu brute

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

This is a good point.

The romances :eng99:

i think we were supposed to read the henry ones, too? i dunno, all the henries act alike. they hold nothing on titus andronicus

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

Julius Caesar was like 6th or 7th grade, it's good.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

Villian, I have undone thy mother

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Let's learn about the social ideas and attitudes of a famous and good writer from before 75% of all historically significant things happened and that are written in a language that is pretty much not english.

Learning Shakespeare is a privilege as unnecessary as a yacht. A waste of time and tax dollars gently caress him. Let's read what John Maynard Keynes said, oh you literally never heard one single word he ever wrote?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

Let's learn about the social ideas and attitudes of a famous and good writer from before 75% of all historically significant things happened and that are written in a language that is pretty much not english.

Learning Shakespeare is a privilege as unnecessary as a yacht. A waste of time and tax dollars gently caress him. Let's read what John Maynard Keynes said, oh you literally never heard one single word he ever wrote?

O happy man! they have befriended thee.
Why, foolish Lucius, dost thou not perceive
That Rome is but a wilderness of tigers?
Tigers must prey, and Rome affords no prey
But me and mine: how happy art thou, then,
From these devourers to be banished!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

site posted:

Honestly it's your loss. Though one could argue we all have a responsibility to not squander our cultural patrimony. Anyways here's a passage:

CALIBAN

I must eat my dinner.
This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother,
Which thou takest from me. When thou camest first,
Thou strokedst me and madest much of me, wouldst give me
Water with berries in't, and teach me how
To name the bigger light, and how the less,
That burn by day and night: and then I loved thee
And show'd thee all the qualities o' the isle,
The fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile:
Cursed be I that did so! All the charms
Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!
For I am all the subjects that you have,
Which first was mine own king: and here you sty me
In this hard rock, whiles you do keep from me
The rest o' the island.

PROSPERO

Thou most lying slave,
Whom stripes may move, not kindness! I have used thee,
Filth as thou art, with human care, and lodged thee
In mine own cell, till thou didst seek to violate
The honour of my child.

CALIBAN

O ho, O ho! would't had been done!
Thou didst prevent me; I had peopled else
This isle with Calibans.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i don't feel it has to be an either/or situation cool bear

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
my sister was in a high school production of titus andronicus, set in 1920s gangsterland chicago

it translated surprisingly well

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
o tempora, o mores!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cool Bear posted:

Not cool, Cool Bear. Not cool.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mayor Dave posted:

my sister was in a high school production of titus andronicus, set in 1920s gangsterland chicago

it translated surprisingly well

Tigers! Tigers all around! They feast upon my flesh, nibbling as I write

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I deliberately deleted Shakespeare from my memory because someone else famous said that all modern movies or books are just going to use what he wrote anyway, except it's not going to be in some gay rear end version of english that i cant even read without stopping every three words to think about what it means.

I mean great, people back in old times thought similar things that we do now. The same troubles that we have are also written by someone back then. The lesson that we learn is that humans have not changed. Great congratulations.

How many semesters of this pain in the rear end half0english do i have to waste my time on to convince people that i got this message? It's pretentious bullshit from people who wasted their own time on it because they wanted to feel superior to people who didn't spend their own time on it. gently caress shakespeare.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I came here to destroy pretentious nerds and chew bubblegum and i actually hate bubblegum and how people look when they chew it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

that's not how tinder works

I give zero shits. About tinder or your dating life.:colbert:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SedanChair posted:

what is "college" really

an endowment growing at an increasing rate with constant tuition increases?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

what high school should stop teaching is catcher in the rye because everyone is dumb as hell and thinks it actually relates to them personally

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Bear posted:

I deliberately deleted Shakespeare from my memory because someone else famous said that all modern movies or books are just going to use what he wrote anyway, except it's not going to be in some gay rear end version of english that i cant even read without stopping every three words to think about what it means.

I mean great, people back in old times thought similar things that we do now. The same troubles that we have are also written by someone back then. The lesson that we learn is that humans have not changed. Great congratulations.

How many semesters of this pain in the rear end half0english do i have to waste my time on to convince people that i got this message? It's pretentious bullshit from people who wasted their own time on it because they wanted to feel superior to people who didn't spend their own time on it. gently caress shakespeare.

I'm sorry school made you mad, inside. It's okay to be mad though. Even grown-ups get mad sometimes. But that doesn't mean we stop loving you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what high school should stop teaching is catcher in the rye because everyone is dumb as hell and thinks it actually relates to them personally

Sorry but first in line to be axed is A Separate Peace.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 14, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

site posted:

We come here not to venerate Shakespeare, but to bury him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

site posted:

"man gently caress Cassius" - brutus at every point after stabbing ceasar

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
who the gently caress reads catcher in the rye?

our teach had us read Things They Carried in its stead, and Master and Commander

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

site posted:

counterpoint: without shakespeare we wouldn't have had 10 Things I Hate About You

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

who the gently caress reads catcher in the rye?

our teach had us read Things They Carried in its stead, and Master and Commander

we got catcher in the same year as things they carried. master and commander would have fuckin owned to read in high school, I read all the hornblower books when I was a kid

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you haven't read King Lear you cannot truly appreciate my posts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who wrote holden caulfield - Green Day

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

but anyone who thinks that actually embodies Holden, sooooooooo OH GOD IT'S COLLAPSING IN ON ITSELF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
The noble Cool Bear told you that Shakespeare was pretentious. If that’s true, it’s a serious fault, and Shakespeare has paid seriously for it. With the permission of Cool Bear and the others—for Cool Bear is an honorable man; they are all honorable men—I have come here to speak at Shakespeare's funeral. He was my friend, he was faithful and just to me. But Cool Bear says he was pretentious, and Cool Bear is an honorable man.

• Locked thread