Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Drythe posted:

I always just imagine you are a life sized zoidberg.

That's what I was looking for the first time Naramyth and I met up for a game. You can imagine my disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

adamantium|wang posted:

Given the sheer volume of British resin you own I think your perceptions of quality and value might be slightly off the norm.

Once again my finances or what I choose to spend them on has nothing to do with my perception of quality or value. This has come up before in this forum and it pisses me off every time. I budget myself and choose not to buy some things so I can buy others. For example, I purchased a reasonable automobile as opposed to the more expensive car I had my eye on.

Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for this game and how I budget my personal finances for naivety.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone still looking for Deathstorm models? I thought they were sold out everywhere but my local GW is sitting on four copies.

I could use the Brood Lord but that's about it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Hand posted:

Once again my finances or what I choose to spend them on has nothing to do with my perception of quality or value. This has come up before in this forum and it pisses me off every time. I budget myself and choose not to buy some things so I can buy others. For example, I purchased a reasonable automobile as opposed to the more expensive car I had my eye on.

Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for this game and how I budget my personal finances for naivety.

You're right and your money is certainly yours, it's just different. Some people may say that the savings on an automobile/home/whatever would be best invested in retirement. Others may say travel. You say Warhammer.

Is cool.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Ghost Hand posted:

Amen.

Latest COD - £60
Subscription to Xbox Live - £10/month
Not including console cost.

Necron Battleforce from FLGS - £56.

Ill probably get equal or more value from the battleforce personally than I would from an FPS. Not that expensive compared to other hobbies.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have a question about FW books.

Is it reasonable to assume that this (generic HH legion rules) is complete and the only thing that will change as more supplements come out is additional units or rules for individual legions? Or can we expect more of the generic rules to come out as well?

Also when they refer to the Age of Darkness, does that mean 40k?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

I love how you don't know the quality or value of it yet - but it's already earned your scorn. While I agree GW does release some pretty "cash grabby" things - this looks pretty solid with some nice models added to it. *shrug*

Harlequins detachment is minimum 3 troops, 2 fast attack and 1 heavy support. How is that not a blatant cashgrab?

Yes, you could try unbound or an ally detachment with 1hq, 1 troop and no bonuses, but clearly the intent is to run the detachment to achieve the bonuses and GW wants you to pay $200+ for the privilege (more like $320 when you being dedicated transports for your troupes, $400+ if you do more than min-squad the whole thing.)

I don't care how you spend your money that you clearly budget responsibly for. I care how GW builds cash-grabby prerequisites into their game and punishes players for not wanting to sink $400 in $40 boxes to do it.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

JerryLee posted:

Is it reasonable to assume that this (generic HH legion rules) is complete and the only thing that will change as more supplements come out is additional units or rules for individual legions? Or can we expect more of the generic rules to come out as well?

Age of darkness is the 30k FoC.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JerryLee posted:

Age of Darkness was the time period between the AI rebellion and the Rise of the Emperor. The birth Slaanesh was in there too.

Edit: Oh, guess I wrong. Apparently I'm conflating the Age of Dark Technology and Age of Strife.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 14, 2015

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Yeah, the Age of Darkness Detachment is the 30k HH detachment.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

koreban posted:

Harlequins detachment is minimum 3 troops, 2 fast attack and 1 heavy support. How is that not a blatant cashgrab?

Yes, you could try unbound or an ally detachment with 1hq, 1 troop and no bonuses, but clearly the intent is to run the detachment to achieve the bonuses and GW wants you to pay $200+ for the privilege (more like $320 when you being dedicated transports for your troupes, $400+ if you do more than min-squad the whole thing.)

I don't care how you spend your money that you clearly budget responsibly for. I care how GW builds cash-grabby prerequisites into their game and punishes players for not wanting to sink $400 in $40 boxes to do it.

Dude, GW isn't punishing you by providing a way to run a stand-alone Harlequin army. Don't be ridiculous.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just hope that if they decide to update the CW Vyper, they don't take out the dude in the back with his gun cradle-thing. That's so much better than just some schmuck standing there =S

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bulbasaur, looks like FW isn't completely ignoring Iron Warriors. :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Short answer: Yeah, its mostly complete and should stay relevant for a few more years.

Long answer: It'll get more dated with every new HH book. Missing legions are getting rules, most of the new books have new units, and FW plans to revisit the existing legions in new books. All that will be missing from the Red book for a while, if not indefinitely. My prediction is that we'll have several little red books down the road starting with the current "Great Crusade Army List" and then going into "Mid-Heresy Army List". Regardless of what they do, you'll need to supplement the new stuff through .PDFs or buying $120 leather books to get the latest stuff. It's still the best way to get started though.

ijyt posted:

I just ordered 2. So I can grind them up and injest my resin rectally.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

loving :laffo: this is perfect.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, GW isn't punishing you by providing a way to run a stand-alone Harlequin army. Don't be ridiculous.

Sorry, I picked a convenient verb instead of spending 3 sentences making the explicit point I was going for. It's a very similar argument to what Blood Angels players were upset about when their codex dropped.

"Oh, I see that I now need mandatory 2 troops from Tacticals or Scouts, that conveniently coincides with a new $40 Blood Angel Tactical Squad" or Necrons being required to take Tomb Blades and Praetorians in their detachment, units that were woefully underrepresented previously.

It's not a defacto punishment to take 1 solitaire and 1 min troupe as an allied detachment, however if you have any desire to play Harlequins using their detachment rules, prepare to drop a lot of money to cover your minimum requirements. It couldn't be 1 troop, 2 fast attack, or 2 troop, 1 heavy.. It's 3 troop, 2 fast attack and 1 heavy. There's one known option for heavy, being the non-transport voidweaver. 2 Fast attack being the bikes, or 2 of the starweavers. 3 troops, so you're already 6x $40 boxes in. Realistically you're running 10 boxes (3 troop, 3 transport, 2 fast attack bikes, 1-2 heavy supports + solitaire, death jester, shadowweaver (each just shy of $30 per model), etc.

There, you have a much more nuanced and precise answer, happy?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

Long answer: It'll get more dated with every new HH book. Missing legions are getting rules, most of the new books have new units, and FW plans to revisit the existing legions in new books.

Well, specifically, I'm hoping to play as one of the legions for which nothing whatsoever has come out yet and won't for a while (Thousand Sons). Obviously these unreleased legions will have special units of their own, will have their own rites of war or whatever, but will the current little red book still be complete as far as the bog-standard units that every legion gets to take? At least as far as anybody knows (I guess only Forge World know for sure).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

koreban posted:

Sorry, I picked a convenient verb instead of spending 3 sentences making the explicit point I was going for. It's a very similar argument to what Blood Angels players were upset about when their codex dropped.

"Oh, I see that I now need mandatory 2 troops from Tacticals or Scouts, that conveniently coincides with a new $40 Blood Angel Tactical Squad" or Necrons being required to take Tomb Blades and Praetorians in their detachment, units that were woefully underrepresented previously.

It's not a defacto punishment to take 1 solitaire and 1 min troupe as an allied detachment, however if you have any desire to play Harlequins using their detachment rules, prepare to drop a lot of money to cover your minimum requirements. It couldn't be 1 troop, 2 fast attack, or 2 troop, 1 heavy.. It's 3 troop, 2 fast attack and 1 heavy. There's one known option for heavy, being the non-transport voidweaver. 2 Fast attack being the bikes, or 2 of the starweavers. 3 troops, so you're already 6x $40 boxes in. Realistically you're running 10 boxes (3 troop, 3 transport, 2 fast attack bikes, 1-2 heavy supports + solitaire, death jester, shadowweaver (each just shy of $30 per model), etc.

There, you have a much more nuanced and precise answer, happy?

Nah, dude. The problem isn't your word choice. This isn't like invalidating the most common BA troop choice. You're upset because if you want to run a Harlequin army, you need to buy a Harlequin army. That's a pretty silly reason to be upset.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's already been posted that the Harlequin codex has 6 formations and we still don't know if they'll be a option for the Elite Slot of Eldar. So we don't know what those formations are but it's likely one will be a smaller force.

Bitch about the released rules though. I'm not impressed with the Voidweaver at all.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, dude. The problem isn't your word choice. This isn't like invalidating the most common BA troop choice. You're upset because if you want to run a Harlequin army, you need to buy a Harlequin army. That's a pretty silly reason to be upset.

The point being made was that it was a pretty blatant cash grab.

Don't misconstrue my criticism at GW doing something scuzzy with me being personally upset that I plan to buy into an army. I understood that I was going to buy in for $3-400, so I'm disappointed that it'll be the upper end of that, but it's within my planning scope.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Let's hold off on burning our poo poo and being pissed off until the formations come out at least, it also may still be possible to take them as a allied detachment, we don't know yet what formations and what else they have in the book.

I'll be the first one to be pissed off if I can't just field 2 units of Harlequins in my Dark ELdar army .

This is amazing

Painted by
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/user/profile/93101.page

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 14, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

koreban posted:

The point being made was that it was a pretty blatant cash grab.

Don't misconstrue my criticism at GW doing something scuzzy with me being personally upset that I plan to buy into an army. I understood that I was going to buy in for $3-400, so I'm disappointed that it'll be the upper end of that, but it's within my planning scope.

I think it's unfair to call it a cash grab or something scuzzy. It's basically a whole new army, and I think it's incredibly cynical and a bit ridiculous to call that a cash grab.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

I think it's unfair to call it a cash grab or something scuzzy. It's basically a whole new army, and I think it's incredibly cynical and a bit ridiculous to call that a cash grab.

Prior to 7th, a new army minimum was 1 HQ, 2 troop. Battle boxes basically supported this for ~$75-130.

Current information suggests it's now far more with the first *new army* released in a long while.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

koreban posted:

Prior to 7th, a new army minimum was 1 HQ, 2 troop. Battle boxes basically supported this for ~$75-130.

Current information suggests it's now far more with the first *new army* released in a long while.

Oh come on, man. Don't act like ~300 points of IG or Orks is some legit force you can start playing with. No one gets just the mandatory HQ and troops and calls it done. The actual cost of entry for this game is about $250-500 no matter which army you choose.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ah yes that noted horde army Eldar

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Does anyone know if there's any third party (or GW ones, I'm not fussy) small tracked units suitable for making weapon servitors?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Microart Studios Iron Brotherhood has a specific track vehicle I think that you may be looking for.

http://shop.microartstudio.com/iron-brotherhood-c-36_43.html

Also here is a Ape in a dress carrying a gun

This would also work with some minor conversion work.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/judge-dredd/combat-droid.html

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 14, 2015

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Going to wait for the harlequin codex release myself before I buy anything.

If GW are loving about with the force org, for a quick cash grab then I doubt ill by them. I planned to buy harlequins as allies at the least, but do not have the space in my Dark eldar list for that full Harlequin formation.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone know if there's any third party (or GW ones, I'm not fussy) small tracked units suitable for making weapon servitors?

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/AFTERLIFE/Republic/Republic-Taurus-Gun-Tractors

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

:drat: Those would make some decent gun servitors.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Going to wait for the harlequin codex release myself before I buy anything.

If GW are loving about with the force org, for a quick cash grab then I doubt ill by them. I planned to buy harlequins as allies at the least, but do not have the space in my Dark eldar list for that full Harlequin formation.

Yeah, if that formation is the only way to take them without going unbound, that will be total bullshit. But I seriously doubt that is the case.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

These might be the first 3rd party models I've seen that I haven't hated. These would be neat for heavy weapons teams, thunderfire cannons, pretty much anything like that.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

koreban posted:

Yes, you could try unbound or an ally detachment with 1hq, 1 troop and no bonuses,

Harlequins have EL units, but no troops. They do not qualify to take either Allied or Combined Arms detachments. That's actually one of my biggest gripes with what we've seen of the release- you've got to take a fuckload of stuff if you want to take them at all. Did you want to include a unit of guys and their leader in a transport? Ha ha, sorry, you've gotta buy three more vehicles and two more squads.

Their psychic discipline is actually pretty good, and their relics are no worst than most, but their detachment is annoying and their vehicles are either mediocre or outright bad. Being forced to take a bunch of them is a big strike against things both from an investment perspective (buy four times as much stuff!) and from a play perspective (not everyone wants to use clown cars.)

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I am having way too much fun watching Hollismason talk to himself because most of the thread regulars have him on ignore.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
*farts*

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I will never put anyone on ignore no matter how horrible their posting.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Well, specifically, I'm hoping to play as one of the legions for which nothing whatsoever has come out yet and won't for a while (Thousand Sons). Obviously these unreleased legions will have special units of their own, will have their own rites of war or whatever, but will the current little red book still be complete as far as the bog-standard units that every legion gets to take? At least as far as anybody knows (I guess only Forge World know for sure).

It's hard to say. I'm not expecting missing legions getting FAQs after they get released in one of the $120 leather books. More likely they'll just re-release the existing red book or drop a completely new one with rules for armies that 'evolved' in the mid heresy. That'll be well after whenever Prospero comes out, which is slated in ~2 years after they delayed it about a year ago. They might purposely wait to release it after 8th edition drops :v:

Bottom line- if you wanna 30k right now the little red book costs less than a GW codex. But to play Thousand Sons you'll need, at the very least, the future big prospero book. After that they might combine those rules into a new red book or update the existing one, but nobody knows and you'll be stuck waiting until they get around to it.

ghetto wormhole posted:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 14, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah I'd have to ignore the entire death thread if that was the case.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ghetto wormhole posted:

I took that attitude for about fourteen years. Recently I've come to the conclusion that some exceptionally fatuous posters really aren't even worth the time it takes to skip over. Hollismason's the only one in this thread, and that's because he is essentially Turing test-failing spam bot who accidentally ended up here instead of Warseer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

Harlequins have EL units, but no troops. They do not qualify to take either Allied or Combined Arms detachments. That's actually one of my biggest gripes with what we've seen of the release- you've got to take a fuckload of stuff if you want to take them at all. Did you want to include a unit of guys and their leader in a transport? Ha ha, sorry, you've gotta buy three more vehicles and two more squads.

Their psychic discipline is actually pretty good, and their relics are no worst than most, but their detachment is annoying and their vehicles are either mediocre or outright bad. Being forced to take a bunch of them is a big strike against things both from an investment perspective (buy four times as much stuff!) and from a play perspective (not everyone wants to use clown cars.)

You did a great job laying out what I was trying to say earlier in this post, though I have to ask if you're sure on the no troops/HQ thing? I was pretty sure a troupe counted as troops and a solitaire could be a warlord but no warlord trait if so. (Would that not count as hq?)

• Locked thread