Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

IT BEGINS posted:

I'm optimistic about this. If anything, 5e should be simpler to code than the 3.5-era games since it's less fiddly. While I haven't loved games like NWN2 I haven't been particularly disappointed by them either.

It just seems like a terrible mix of crew, Dragon Age developers, guys with a repetoire consisting of 90% handheld console movie-tie in shovelware and the Warframe devs who're mostly known for F2P Grindsville. Literally no people who have a past that says: "I can handle this concept well." and not really crew that seem to have much experience with the genre either, aside from Tudge.

I'd also call it a bit, well, early to do a 5e videogame, there's not exactly a lot of official content to make use of yet, at least in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

They're already leaving out 4 races and 6 classes so no need to worry about running out of content.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd also call it a bit, well, early to do a 5e videogame, there's not exactly a lot of official content to make use of yet, at least in my opinion.

Look at the list of abilities all the characters have. Its pretty much connected in name only.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Divinity: Original Sin already has pretty much everything they're promising; it even looks almost identical.

but that's just par for the NEXT course

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Harthacnut posted:

They're already leaving out 4 races and 6 classes so no need to worry about running out of content.

You're giving me Neverwinter Dragonborn flashbacks.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
"Choose from five playable races and six unique character classes to build your own stalwart adventurer."

Unique classes, you say? Like the Warlord and the Psionicist perhaps? No seriously, even for a marketing blurb who are you trying to kid here? It's going to be Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard... Paladin and Ranger? Sorcerer and Warlock? You do realize that even World of Warcraft has all this and more, right? (Also I'll bet you a shiny internet dollar that the races are human, dwarf, halfling, and two flavors of elf.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Elf and Half-Elf would be my assumption. Though if halflings are replaced with half-orcs to save on skeleton modelling I wouldn't be surprised.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Really Pants posted:

see if you really wanted to go for some kind of epic burn you should have said "or how far they are from your poopy butt face :xd:"

good effort though

Was not trying to burn you. I was not sure what you meant. The two games you mentioned are very well liked and take place on the center Sword Coast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sage Genesis posted:

"Choose from five playable races and six unique character classes to build your own stalwart adventurer."

Unique classes, you say? Like the Warlord and the Psionicist perhaps? No seriously, even for a marketing blurb who are you trying to kid here? It's going to be Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard... Paladin and Ranger? Sorcerer and Warlock? You do realize that even World of Warcraft has all this and more, right? (Also I'll bet you a shiny internet dollar that the races are human, dwarf, halfling, and two flavors of elf.)

Look man I don't know what you want, Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard, those are fantasy staples, we HAVE to have them in our game, people expect it.

What, make them interesting, make situations where the fighter as the lord of the battlefield can contribute in unique ways or the rogue can set up sneaky ninja poo poo, give the cleric more options than being a lovely fighter with a heal spell and sometimes gets to gently caress with undead? Nah, have you seen this cool demon statue? That took effort to design my man, gotta have priorities.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goatface posted:

Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Elf and Half-Elf would be my assumption. Though if halflings are replaced with half-orcs to save on skeleton modelling I wouldn't be surprised.

My bet is the same but Half Orcs replacing half elves.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Does 4E even have a video game yet?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

Every time im reminded of this I get more annoyed I never got a sweet turn based tactics game.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Daggerdale.

I downloaded the demo thinking "hey, this might be cool to drop :10bux: on to kill time!"

In the hour played the demo, I had to restart the game four times times because twice I got stuck in a crate/barrel, once I got stuck on the lid of a chest, and once the cinematic that spawns the next area wouldn't start up because I jumped over the spot on the ground you need to touch to make it go.

Woo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GrizzlyCow posted:

It has a relatively decent MMO that has a ridiculously predatory monetization system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Or maybe that's more Gamma World than 4E per se.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Didn't 4e have a video game version before it even came out?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Was not trying to burn you. I was not sure what you meant. The two games you mentioned are very well liked and take place on the center Sword Coast.

Their worst, most boring parts take place there, yes. They get more fun and creative as they go to other places, the farther from the Coast the better.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Didn't 4e have a video game version before it even came out?

World of Warcraft?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

World of Warcraft?

That's what I heard, yeah.

e: In all seriousness the Neverwinter MMO while having nothing to do with the 4e rules had pretty fun gameplay. I'd still be playing it if it wasn't for the cash shop bullshit.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 13, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a DS game that was awful?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

AlphaDog posted:

That's what I heard, yeah.

e: In all seriousness the Neverwinter MMO while having nothing to do with the 4e rules had pretty fun gameplay. I'd still be playing it if it wasn't for the cash shop bullshit.

Yeah the basic combat was really fun. Really enjoyed my time with it. Just didn't like the structure of areas.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Really Pants posted:

Their worst, most boring parts take place there, yes. They get more fun and creative as they go to other places, the farther from the Coast the better.

Yeah, Baldur's Gate was fun, if not great. Baldur's Gate 2 moved things a bit further South and was already a lot more creative and original, and Throne of Bhaal was really great.

If they must set the game in the Realms I'd rather they'd explore some bit of the Realms we haven't seen yet. Basically, screw the Sword Coast and Icewind Dale. Give us a game set in that country where everyone's a Wizard or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, Baldur's Gate was fun, if not great. Baldur's Gate 2 moved things a bit further South and was already a lot more creative and original, and Throne of Bhaal was really great.

If they must set the game in the Realms I'd rather they'd explore some bit of the Realms we haven't seen yet. Basically, screw the Sword Coast and Icewind Dale. Give us a game set in that country where everyone's a Wizard or something.

Wizard politics in Thay sounds like it would be rad to play a game in. Its like hogwarts but everyone is trying to murder eachother to climb up the foodchain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ratpick posted:

But none of what made the difference between BG1 and BG2 had anything to do with location. It was pretty much entirely down to more fun abilities and higher levels, mechanically, and recruitable NPC's that had a lot more dialogue, butted into conversations, had their own questlines, etc.

BG1 also had a lot tighter design with regards to storyline, everything you did there was pretty directly related to Sarevok's schemes, 90% of BG2 was sidequests or just finding your way back to the game area(I think like, what, a solid QUARTER of the game was just loving getting back from Spellhold? Christ.), and the actual time you spent interacting with Irenicus or his plots was pretty minimal.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ratpick posted:

Mask of the Betrayer takes place partially in Thay (The rest of it takes place in the Rashemen and the Astral Plane) and is basically the greatest thing to come out of Forgotten Realms so yeah, it seems like getting away from the Sword Coast really does make things better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kingcom posted:

Wizard politics in Thay sounds like it would be rad to play a game in. Its like hogwarts but everyone is trying to murder eachother to climb up the foodchain.

Mask of the Betrayer had a short section that was exactly this, and it owned.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Decided to put a little fear into my players tonight. They're 4 lvl 4s and a lvl 3, and the boss is a young black dragon. I won't pull any punches.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

djw175 posted:

Mask of the Betrayer takes place partially in Thay (The rest of it takes place in the Rashemen and the Astral Plane) and is basically the greatest thing to come out of Forgotten Realms so yeah, it seems like getting away from the Sword Coast really does make things better.

Every single place in Faerun is more interesting than the Sword Coast. Even countries that are straight up "earth people live here" are more interesting than the Sword Coast.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Elendil004 posted:

Decided to put a little fear into my players tonight. They're 4 lvl 4s and a lvl 3, and the boss is a young black dragon. I won't pull any punches.

I just went through that encounter. It ended up being hilarious as I spawned a spiritual weapon to keep the dragon's attention. My attack roll was a natural 20. My damage rolls were max damage. So after the DM stops laughing he does a big theatrical show of a heavenly weapon descending from high and cracking the dragon right between the eyes. The dragon looks at me, cross eyed now, and congratulates me for being the only trying to put up a fight. :3:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ratpick posted:

Nah, I disagree. The best parts of those games are the wilderness and city exploring that make up most of 1 and the first few chapters of 2. After that, it gets more and more rail road with ToB basically running like a Final Fantasy game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ou

Trast posted:

I just went through that encounter. It ended up being hilarious as I spawned a spiritual weapon to keep the dragon's attention. My attack roll was a natural 20. My damage rolls were max damage. So after the DM stops laughing he does a big theatrical show of a heavenly weapon descending from high and cracking the dragon right between the eyes. The dragon looks at me, cross eyed now, and congratulates me for being the only trying to put up a fight. :3:

Our wizard summoned a phantasmal force, and since our wizard is a diviner, ensured that the dragon tanked his saving throws, trivializing the encounter. I did knock down two party members in the opening acid breath, but didn't kill anyone. Oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elendil004 posted:

Ou

Our wizard summoned a phantasmal force, and since our wizard is a diviner, ensured that the dragon tanked his saving throws, trivializing the encounter. I did knock down two party members in the opening acid breath, but didn't kill anyone. Oh well.

What did he think he was seeing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

His stats in the monster manual.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

His stats in the monster manual.

We are both talking about the Dragon right? The stats are decent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 14, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

MonsterEnvy posted:

We are both talking about the Dragon right? The stats are decent.

It doesn't matter how good the book says your stats are when you're confronted with the cold reality that you're a fictional creature whose main purpose in life is to get murdered.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Wow that's deep. This is Deadpool kills the marvel universe all over again.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MonsterEnvy posted:

A similar sized Gold Dragon.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Really Pants posted:

Ah yes, the quality of a game is totally dependent on what fictional part of a fictional world it's set in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

actually when I say the Sword Coast has always been the worst part of D&D computer games I really mean that we should kill all minorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Really Pants posted:

actually when I say the Sword Coast has always been the worst part of D&D computer games I really mean that we should kill all minorities

People are super, super mad about FR to a cartoonish degree and it's just the most hilarious thing. Check out my dartboard with a picture of Lord Nasher on it.