Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fayez Butts posted:

protip don't get crowns until you loop. First crown should be Crown of Destiny and then maybe go crown of guns or crown of blood

Actually you should always get the Crown of Explosions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Melting with the Crown of Explosions, his throne butt upgrade, and boiling veins makes for the most crazy awesome playthrough you will ever have. Your screen will be shaking so hard you'll probably have a seizure along the way, but it'll be a FUN seizure.

edit: Unfortunately the crown of explosions doesn't make his explosions bigger specifically, but with boiling veins you can use explosive weapons directly next to yourself without even a hint of splash damage which is too good to not roll with.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 11, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
In case anyone is just too lazy to do it for themselves here's a quick ahk to get back q for weapon switch
code:
Ins::Suspend
q::Space
f::b
Insert suspends the script in case you don't want to close and reopen it.
(Also a more convenient airhorn.wav button)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Rush Crown if you have plutonium hunger is totally fine too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always thought eyes was pretty weak but I just got him to the throne with both throne butt and euphoria. I'm pretty sure I would have had to run at the bullets to get hit.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Eyes is the character I most consistently get to the throne with. I die quickly in loops though, I can't lay off the telekinesis button and melee dudes kill me.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Can you hold two gold weapons on one character at the same time or is it only the last one you picked up? I have a gold Grenade Launcher but I'd like a Slugger to start runs with but I dunno if I can start with both or not. They're easy enough to get so I'm not worried about tossing one for something interesting.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nah, you'll only carry over whatever's in your main slot when you die.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well I finally looped all the way around and killed the throne again on the loop. 18 HP crystal with second stomach and strong spirit is a wonderful thing.

Really besides the level generation saying "gently caress you" in the loop, nothing after the throne is as big of a wall as that terrible sewers boss. Maybe I got lucky but I was amazed how much easier the giant crystal was than that thing, and it comes later. Giving the boss a pretty drat close to unavoidable way to constantly heal itself is rude. I died to it the second time because even with a quadruple machine gun fed with recycle gland, I just couldn't kill the loving thing before I ran out of ammo. Just wandered around the level ineffectually looking for anything I could do but it seems you're just dead if you run out of ammo with no melee weapon.

Reiley posted:

Can you hold two gold weapons on one character at the same time or is it only the last one you picked up? I have a gold Grenade Launcher but I'd like a Slugger to start runs with but I dunno if I can start with both or not. They're easy enough to get so I'm not worried about tossing one for something interesting.

I would take the grenade launcher if I had this choice because it means you can always get to the pizza sewers.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This game...loving hell.

I've played it for 9hrs over the past week and I can't get past the ice level. Seem to have the most luck with the robot, but I'm still pretty terrible.

Are the secret levels and alternative costumes triggered by anything or are they random?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

YVs crib has pretty loving rad music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54dZWDjZfas

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Chas McGill posted:

This game...loving hell.

I've played it for 9hrs over the past week and I can't get past the ice level. Seem to have the most luck with the robot, but I'm still pretty terrible.

Are the secret levels and alternative costumes triggered by anything or are they random?

Alternate costumes are random, secret levels are not! Check wiki if you don't mind getting spoiled on them.

For the ice level you can generally take your time with a slugger or crossbow and hope you get a good little hunter spawn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chas McGill posted:

This game...loving hell.

Alt skins are completely random at the moment but the devs have said they want to implement a way to unlock them.

The first secret level is a skip to the Big Dog fight in the junkyard. I'd recommend not doing it very often as it means you get further in the game with worse weapons since the quality of weapons that drop is governed by how many levels you've cleared. You can get it by opening both chests and the radiation container in 1-1 without killing any enemies and then killing the boss that spawns very quickly

The second secret level is very good as it spawns health and bumps up the difficulty by another level (meaning you get better weapons sooner). You get to it by blowing up a manhole cover in the sewers with an explosive weapon

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
If you do the car skip in zone 3, does it count as another level in the same way that going to 2_1 and doing the manhole skip does? Because if so you could get better weapons a bit sooner by doing both.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Jumpoff posted:

If you do the car skip in zone 3, does it count as another level in the same way that going to 2_1 and doing the manhole skip does? Because if so you could get better weapons a bit sooner by doing both.

Changing areas always increases the difficulty, with the exception of the crown vaults. Also, true to the name "difficulty", it makes the levels more densely populated, so the weapon pool is larger but the palace's first two levels will be noticeably harder. It's not necessarily worth it because your chances of getting a weapon unlocked early is low.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Count Uvula posted:

Changing areas always increases the difficulty, with the exception of the crown vaults. Also, true to the name "difficulty", it makes the levels more densely populated, so the weapon pool is larger but the palace's first two levels will be noticeably harder. It's not necessarily worth it because your chances of getting a weapon unlocked early is low.

The number of extra enemies is pretty small and being able to get a good weapon early is much more important IMO

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Car skip in zone 3 doesn't change the difficulty since you go from 3-1 to 3-3. Same number of portals.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno which is worse in this game right now, melee enemies hitting multiple times per second, or Lil Hunter.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm surprised that they've changed Lil Hunter multiple times, but haven't changed the whole "highly unpredictable kamikaze spiral" thing.

If he just had a large explosion, but it was in place, I wouldn't mind him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Car skip in zone 3 doesn't change the difficulty since you go from 3-1 to 3-3. Same number of portals.

I thought the car always spawns in 3-2

EDIT: nope you're right

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I dunno which is worse in this game right now, melee enemies hitting multiple times per second, or Lil Hunter.

Lil hunter does melee damage too, I've died to him due to being hit several times in melee. Really you should never fight him with a melee weapon unless you're behind a corner or something, since his rocket spiral thing before dying can do contact damage.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not even having fun with this game with the current Lil Hunter. I think their intention for changing it in the first place was that the fight felt too random and unpredictable, but I was consistently able to beat him before. These days, it feels like my success against him depends entirely on what weapons I've found.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sleepcycles on Youtube let out a little (heh) secret that developer JW told him. If you keep your weapon trained on him now and don't let up he can't dodge out of the way.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjOZh2GXN40&hd=1&t=535s

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, he was using a weapon that doesn't have any travel.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Guys, I think I beat Nuclear Throne

(the game hard locked :()

e: and its using 100% of one CPU core right now, I definitely triggered some infinite loop or race condition

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

EvilMike posted:

Lil hunter does melee damage too, I've died to him due to being hit several times in melee. Really you should never fight him with a melee weapon unless you're behind a corner or something, since his rocket spiral thing before dying can do contact damage.

Yeah I learned that yesterday. :smith:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah I learned that yesterday. :smith:

I'm pretty sure his melee damage is just from his blue flames? I've killed him by standing in him with gamma guts since his rework.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Looped properly for the first time ever since getting this terrible bad game for bads and died on 5-1, holy poo poo Plant's ultra mutation and throne butt are so good.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 15, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today i died on 1-2 of the daily because i teleported onto a scorpion with crystal's throne butt :v:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Tollymain posted:

today i died on 1-2 of the daily because i teleported onto a scorpion with crystal's throne butt :v:

Personally, I stopped taking Crystal's Throne Butt specifically because of this. I'd try to shield in a moment of desperation and end up right inside an Energy Dog and die horribly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but it's so strong when i'm not tired and bad at games anyway

crystal is so broken, she should have like 6 hp not 10

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like it's incredibly important to pick up all the experience pellets before they disappear? In any case I keep dying by being too aggressive and trying to do that. Is it better to play slowly or will the missed experience negate any gain from it?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
It's always better to play slowly -- this is why Plutonium Hunger is one of the best mutations in the game since you can still be really cautious picking people off with the cross bow or ducking around corners, but still suck up them rads.

I like this game but at the same time I really wish there were more windup animations! Alligators in the sewers are total pushovers 9/10, and the last time you duck around a corner to pick them off and they :commissar: you in the face. Same thing with shielders and transforming into a pillar.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I was amused in my latest run when I had a Shielder show up, turn into crystal, and then I shot him a bunch with a Laser Rifle and apparently shoved him out of it while he couldn't anything about it. Apparently the crystal's just a big fat jpeg that hides them?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Yeah, ultimately what's going to determine how effectively you can kill enemies is your weapons, and those don't fade. You'll end up dying more often because you got over aggressive trying to pick up rads than you will because you didn't have a specific upgrade.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, getting levels is not actually nearly as important as it seems.

I feel like learning how to play nuclear throne well is first learning when to be patient, and then learning when to just go nuts.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

HGH posted:

I was amused in my latest run when I had a Shielder show up, turn into crystal, and then I shot him a bunch with a Laser Rifle and apparently shoved him out of it while he couldn't anything about it. Apparently the crystal's just a big fat jpeg that hides them?

Yes, and it's the same for Crystal's own shield as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yo, I'd just like to pop in and say that Horror is the best and cutest character in the game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Yo, I'd just like to pop in and say that Horror is the best and cutest character in the game.

I agree on the condition that it's Horror's B skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wish that rads were purple when you are Horror B.

• Locked thread