Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting for Decim to have that particular flashback at that particular time. Is he starting to doubt the system he's part of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Going to be interesting to see how the other arbiters handle stuff, if I'm understanding the preview correctly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Going to be interesting to see how the other arbiters handle stuff, if I'm understanding the preview correctly.

Probably is given that Ginty is probably from viginti something and is an arbiter. Weirdly it looks like that one girl in the intro is also a human given that her eyes dont look crossed. Wonder if she'll stick around.

Oculus looks like the big boss of all the towers. Castra looks like our towers soul sifter. So many latin names, I wonder what name they'll give no name if she sticks around? I'm betting Nihil.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sucks for humans, because it turns out the afterlife is shambles. :negative:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Allarion posted:

Well, that's one mystery solved, with a whole bunch more questions raised. Also looks like the formula's switching up now based on the preview. Would have been interesting to see a reincarnated person go through the games again admittedly, but we got two arbiters fighting each other instead, so that's neat too. Also galactic billiards. :allears:

Not galactic, Solar System 9-ball. R I P Pluto nevar4get

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
this what i more wanted for the show so im glad its going this way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Sucks for humans, because it turns out the afterlife is shambles. :negative:

Remember, Decim was the best man available for the job. Let that sink in for a moment.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
God is dead, and the temp agency's closed: Death Parade

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
I'm really liking where this is going. Mysterious characters mixed with morality plays are the best.

Also this is probably me, but I feel the show has been very good with the narrative voice it's using. In Episode 1, we see events as an outsider not knowing anything, episode 2 is from Nona's PoV, episode 3 was from the contestants' PoV, episode 4 was Black Hair's (despite the spotlight mostly being on the guests), and this one feels like a Decim PoV. Up next, Ginti.

Also between Oculus' lotus motif and the Spider Thread story the show just loudly declared their Buddhist point of view of the afterlife, for what it's worth.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

next episode: sheer heart attack

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cammy14 posted:

I'm really liking where this is going. Mysterious characters mixed with morality plays are the best.

Also this is probably me, but I feel the show has been very good with the narrative voice it's using. In Episode 1, we see events as an outsider not knowing anything, episode 2 is from Nona's PoV, episode 3 was from the contestants' PoV, episode 4 was Black Hair's (despite the spotlight mostly being on the guests), and this one feels like a Decim PoV. Up next, Ginti.

Also between Oculus' lotus motif and the Spider Thread story the show just loudly declared their Buddhist point of view of the afterlife, for what it's worth.

Except that the void is clearly and repeatedly shown not to be a good option. This does bear repeating. They're tackling a Buddhist afterlife, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're coming at it from a Buddhist stance, in much the same way as there's a lot of 'what if God is kind of a fuckup?' stuff about the Christian afterlife.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Except that the void is clearly and repeatedly shown not to be a good option. This does bear repeating. They're tackling a Buddhist afterlife, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're coming at it from a Buddhist stance, in much the same way as there's a lot of 'what if God is kind of a fuckup?' stuff about the Christian afterlife.

"What if Buddhism were bogged down with busywork, regulations, and red tape, just like your boring Salaryman/OL jobs?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Think they're bringing in a bit of the Chinese Celestial Bureaucracy? Because that's one of the easiest and most obvious religious punching bags out there.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Think they're bringing in a bit of the Chinese Celestial Bureaucracy? Because that's one of the easiest and most obvious religious punching bags out there.

We already have Hoozuki no Reitetsu taking the piss out of it. They even have an EU hell.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If God is MIA, that kind of explains why things are all hosed up. The afterlife crew is trying to keep things running without oversight and direction (and correction), but the system was never meant to be self-sustaining or autonomous. Castra's "they're dying too fast" comment is almost certainly referencing Japan's population problem, but it might be a worldwide issue as well. Let's also say that there are a finite number of souls, and only God can make more. It would be pretty important not void "redeemable/content" souls that have a chance at achieving happiness (and spreading it), but also makes voiding "toxic" souls that spread misery and discontent a priority.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Let's set aside for a moment the idea of an afterlife with an absent manager and an overworked HR department and remember that BRADIO has a great sound and makes great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f2ha8_szhI

I especially dig their guitarist. :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked their FB page and they keep teasing with little 15 second clips of a live performance of Flyers :negative:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I like that Decim got to go full-on Walter this episode :allears:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

I like that Decim got to go full-on Walter this episode :allears:

As much as I know this is a show about ambiguity and decision making, I really just want a whole episode dedicated to the arbitrators using their combat styles in action packed stuff.

Basically I want Death Parade Ultimate.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Death Arena, coming to PSVita and PS4.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
An interesting article on DP's religious symbolism.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

This is frankly a good rear end anime.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

While the imagery is notable, the points for hinduism specifically are weak. The circle and jellyfish could be simple imagery for cyclical life/reincarnation (the circle is a circle, and that particular jellyfish being one of the known biologically immortal organisms). Even further, one could just as easily interpret the stained glass as cathedral-inpired design. And we already mentioned the pink lotus symbolism of Buddhism here, which is at least the strongest religious symbolism used in the show.

Edit: I mean come on, they included the screenshot of them doing the Durga/multi-arm pose, and they put it in the lotus section? That's was a softball lob for Hindu symbolism.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 11, 2015

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Death Twister was dumb and fun. Ginti is a big ol' grouch. I wonder what will happen with Mayu. The fact that she is in the OP makes me think we will see more of her.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Oh boy...

The Sixth Episode ended up being a bigger breather one than Rolling Ballad (and of the Fanservice-filled Order, which I should've seen from a mile the second the Twister mat appeared in its preview), so probably I'm going to brace myself for whatever the series throws to fill the classic 7th Episode Game-changer. Outside that, it surprisingly did well delivering the topic of being a fan of something or someone and its extremes.

The only question I got out of this Episode is whether that Mayu girl is actually going to be part of the Main Cast or she was just a One-shot character that got advertised in the main site and OP: part of me kinda wants the former to be true because despite the episode taking its sweet time to run to the ground any gag related to her appearance, her fangirliness and her loving panties, I liked her earnestness and didn't really get annoyed at how she acted as comic relief. Also she meshes well with Clavis and the possibility of Ginti getting stuck with her sounds like divine retribution made out of the purest irony after how he spent his screentime in Episode 5 making clear what he thought of Decim keeping the Black-haired Woman as his assistant. (Which I gotta be honest, the way he phrased some of his arguments now makes some sense once you realize he kinda was comparing the relationship between Decim and his assistant with the one he has with his cat...)

EDIT: Now I realize I was basically asking if Mayu's Role in the Rest of the Series is gonna take the Metaphorical Reincarnation Elevator or the Void one.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 13, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm really glad this show is willing to have a large variety in tone and style, rather than being purely dour seriousness all the time. I genuinely liked both of the characters this time around, and it would have been really easy to make the idol-dude a heel and instead they made him be a bit more like the otaku from the other episode in that he understood where he had erred and decided to atone for it.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Good to see bimbo representation in anime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Good to see bimbo representation in anime.

Yeah, that was a very good depiction of bimbo-esque individuals like Harada. Of course, the icing on the cake was the bomb. I almost did a spit take when I saw that since I was expecting him to jump out of the window out of grief

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

AstraSage posted:

(and of the Fanservice-filled Order, which I should've seen from a mile the second the Twister mat appeared in its preview)

AstraSage posted:

her loving panties,

It's a game designed around inappropriate body contact and not a single game has been played in history without someone's underwear being revealed, but please tell us more about your blanket disdain for fanservice :rolleyes:

Episode was hilarious, show is good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm just gonna assume that Ginti gets all the silly-rear end deaths now and that's why he's so grumpy all the time. Fun episode, maybe we'll get a drinking game next episode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In any other show these two characters would be the villains. The show's not afraid to show the ugly side of both characters. But in this show they're both great.

Also Ginti has absolutely no presence and authority, and is hilariously bad at his job.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The cat was my favorite part of this past episode. I just wonder how it got injured? Carpel tunnel paw from hitting the button all the time? Is there a veterinarian down there too? Or up there? Or which ever direction there is? I get the impression they're going down when they get off.

I liked the girl too. You see how silly her life was and then when the push comes to shove.... er... never mind. She's likable, I think. I hope she stays on. The more humans the better.

In the beginning, when the girl picked the game, they didn't show it. I kept wanting to move the screen down so I could see what "twi...." meant. Yeah, I didn't think "twister". I just though, "twi...?" I didn't get much sleep last night.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was a fun episode, I hope the girl stays on as the intro implies and yeah she has to stay with Ginti just to annoy the gently caress out of his sour self. :laugh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think they're both here to stay. Ginti, you poor, poor bastard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, that was a very good depiction of bimbo-esque individuals like Harada. Of course, the icing on the cake was the bomb. I almost did a spit take when I saw that since I was expecting him to jump out of the window out of grief

After all the relatively serious deaths, I was not expecting a loving clock bomb on a silver platter :munch:. Or for her death to be as anticlimactic as slipping in the shower.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

After all the relatively serious deaths, I was not expecting a loving clock bomb on a silver platter :munch:. Or for her death to be as anticlimactic as slipping in the shower.

Heart Clock Bomb my friend.

And on that note, Happy Valentines Day! :unsmigghh:

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

It's a game designed around inappropriate body contact and not a single game has been played in history without someone's underwear being revealed, but please tell us more about your blanket disdain for fanservice :rolleyes:

There's no harm in talking about it: I'm okay with fanservice and titillation attempts here and there provided there's something else of substance happening along in said moments, which this Episode proved with flying colors. I admit warning about it was just a knee-jerk reaction from dealing with both creepers and creepers-averse overreactors, so I apologize for that.

Similarly, once the tone of the episode was made clear, I calmly accepted the first instance of the panty shot gag and the cheeky way it got pointed out and framed, but by the fourth or fifth time the stunt is repeated (and you know what, because I didn't really count it out, I'm specifically talking about the one that happens when the Rigged Green Circle's Trick is revealed), I was glad Ginti said what needed to be said there.

Like I mentioned before, the episode's tendency to indulge in :regd08: is the one point that makes me refrain of declaring it as the Ultimate Breather Episode even though it was a Fantastical one.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like somebody never played Tokimeki Memorial.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

And on that note, Happy Valentines Day! :unsmigghh:

Oh man this is just like Fate/Zero Mother's Day episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tyberius posted:

Oh man this is just like Fate/Zero Mother's Day episode.

Or the Father's Day episode.

• Locked thread