Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Don't mean to sperg the gently caress out here but having played MHs in the past I've not been reading the story. This cowboy dude asked me some questions where I said no. I didn't gently caress myself out of an item 150 hours down the road? Thanks MH3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What's the rare eco discovery rate?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Why the gently caress can't I zipline down the cable in the first map

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
When am I allowed to buy potions?

Lady only sells herbs and poo poo and I need my potions.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

When am I allowed to buy potions?

Lady only sells herbs and poo poo and I need my potions.

You should have a wealth of potions after the first couple of missions. Especially the one that teaches you to combine Herbs and Blue Mushrooms to make them! And make use of the free potions in the blue box at the start of every mission.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

You should have a wealth of potions after the first couple of missions. Especially the one that teaches you to combine Herbs and Blue Mushrooms to make them! And make use of the free potions in the blue box at the start of every mission.

I haven't farmed anything.

I did not intend to farm

Nobody can killed the Hr1 Urgent Spider guy for their life.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Yian Kut Ku and Velocidrome feel like totally different fights from the original Monster Hunter and definitely aren't pushovers at first. I'm glad they didn't add the extra 50 defense this time because that would have made low rank way too easy. The tutorial is so much better, it was a great move to start with Dah'ren Mohran. Now people won't blindly hit the gong when they actually fight the thing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Semi-new MH player. If I wanted to use that huge gently caress - off gun in the opening movie what would I pick?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

jabro posted:

Semi-new MH player. If I wanted to use that huge gently caress - off gun in the opening movie what would I pick?

Heavy bowgun.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Celery Face posted:

it was a great move to start with Dah'ren Mohran. Now people won't blindly hit the gong when they actually fight the thing.
Not only that, it is a great "Gotcha!" The opening videos usually try something similar, but seeing some islanders fall on their butts is kinda vaguely interesting, but doesn't really grab the player's attention. Actually having the player get in and interact with that HUGE spectacle monster? Yeah, that's a "Gotcha!". It's also a really clever way to run a bit of a tutorial for the fight, even if they won't be seeing the big bastard for literally an entire day's worth of in-game time. People will still gently caress up the fight, but that's fine. That's the nature of the game. At least some of the features of that fight (the gong, canon, etc) won't be completely unheard of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Corpses still despawn WAY too loving fast :colbert:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The localization is fantastic. It's the first Monster Hunter game where I actually read the dialogue instead of skipping through it.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Celery Face posted:

The localization is fantastic. It's the first Monster Hunter game where I actually read the dialogue instead of skipping through it.

It's great.

The everwoods is great too, like a MH roguelike.

Everything is great.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The bow feels really weak damage-wise. Is that accurate?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Elysiume posted:

The bow feels really weak damage-wise. Is that accurate?

It is wildly inaccurate. You are likely fouling up on the required spacing for your sort of bow's shots and aren't attacking the right areas on the monster. The tutorial vids in the OP are all fairly comprehensive, and there are additional guides on the guy's tumblr

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

megalodong posted:

Heavy bowgun.

Thank you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Emalde posted:

It is wildly inaccurate. You are likely fouling up on the required spacing for your sort of bow's shots and aren't attacking the right areas on the monster. The tutorial vids in the OP are all fairly comprehensive, and there are additional guides on the guy's tumblr
Without going through a bunch of tutorials, is there a way to correct for it shooting 1' too high and sailing over a Jaggi's head?

edit: I'm pretty sure the bow just felt weak as hell because I'm used to jaggi/jaggia/aptonoths being incredible chumps. I'm not used to them actually take a bunch of attacks.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 14, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Elysiume posted:

Without going through a bunch of tutorials, is there a way to correct for it shooting 1' too high and sailing over a Jaggi's head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2yl5o49cg

It's 13 minutes to learn the ins and outs of the Bow. After that it's just practice. A lot of practice. a loootttt.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I've stuck to lance and hammer mostly since MHFU. Today I finally start learning how heavy bowguns work. This is not going to be a bad idea at all. Gonna be that guy with crag and pellet shot.

Also I noticed a dollar sign in the DLC gift area so uh is it known what we should expect from that? I've been trying to stay in the dark about the game until today.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sard posted:

Also I noticed a dollar sign in the DLC gift area so uh is it known what we should expect from that? I've been trying to stay in the dark about the game until today.

So far they haven't used it for anything in Japan, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Nerscylla is the most fun I've had in low rank in a long-rear end time. Holy crap that's a well designed fight.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Veskit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2yl5o49cg

It's 13 minutes to learn the ins and outs of the Bow. After that it's just practice. A lot of practice. a loootttt.
Conclusion: if you have the sniping mode active you can aim with the d-pad, but only when you're standing still. This means I can shoot jaggis in the face, so I'll stick with the bow for now.

If you have a nu3DS, can you snipe with the c-stick?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is auto guard in this game? if so, is it a quest like in 3 or on decorations and dropped charms?

Do any other weapons have armor on all their attack like LS? I would like to know who its ok to stand near when i go hogwild on a monster

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I literally can't stop going on expeditions

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
drat this game is fun. I mean I played MH3 and MH3U but I feel like the monsters in this are so much better. Just got done fighting Tetsucabra for the first time and had a blast with him.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The innuendo in this game is amazing. A lancer talking about his gunlance's hard thrusts and explosive climax, the great jaggi questgiver talking about it parking its behind on her "happy trail" and then saying she doesn't want her hair caught in its teeth...

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This game rules but who decided that item boxes that you can't change equipment from should even exist?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

This game rules but who decided that item boxes that you can't change equipment from should even exist?

I think it's a leftover from Online play, so you can't change your avatar before going on a mission. At least you have that item box this time. MH3U didn't have one for the main village, so you had to cancel your mission first before you could be allowed back in your room.

Meanwhile, holy poo poo Expeditions. That's the main thing I didn't like after a while was how it was just the same environments over and over, this changes everything. It's a shame they feel awfully flat though...no real mileage out of the jumping mechanics like the other places.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This game is really fun but I think it was mean of them to bring back the Great Jaggi but remove King's Frills. :colbert: If I manage to break the mane before he dies, and holy crap he dies fast, I still don't get Frills. Agh. I don't even want the armor, just one frill.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was really mean of them to bring back Jaggi armor only for me to find out that it's completely different after I farm the frills.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So how do I use these rusted items?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Went online after tutorial stuff to see what day one starter gear group hunting is like, two for two on frill drops. :smugdog:

I'm gloating about this petty luck to wash out the lingering madness of durambolite.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So how do I use these rusted items?

Play offline a little bit more, and you'll unlock a guy who will polish/upgrade them. It's not that far if you don't get distracted (three quests? I dunno, I got very distracted between those two things)

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Does anyone have an idea on how to get humble scraps? I want to deck my little pals out in some sweet ludroth gear.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

King Crab posted:

Does anyone have an idea on how to get humble scraps? I want to deck my little pals out in some sweet ludroth gear.

From what I've read, you have to progress the story a bit and you eventually unlock the ability to send cattes out to collect them.

e: all kinds of scrap, not specifically that one.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I leapt onto a Seltas why it was flying off the edge of a cliff, tackled it to the ground, and am currently stabbing it in the brain. This game is awesome, and replacing the awful water combat with rodeo-ing monsters was an amazing decision. Those aren't fully analogous mechanics but whatever.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The visitor on the boat ride :stare:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ignimbrite posted:

The visitor on the boat ride :stare:
Get all the breaks, come on

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
SnS is straight up murdering poo poo, and I have like five different ones already. Still on my nooby armour, though I've reached 4* quests :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

on the velocidrome hunting: After killing it a couple of times in expedition, a "hunt velocidrome" guild quest was unlocked for me, all I had to do was register it in the start menu and it was available in solo guild - it doesn't seem to have any more hitpoints than village.

• Locked thread