Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

echronorian posted:

I hope all that distortion and fuzz on the bass is accidental, I hate that buzzing so, so much.

That sounds like its coming through camera. Thats definitely not a mastered track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i'm just really happy vic mensa is on a loving kanye west album. good for him. dude deserves it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

I hope all that distortion and fuzz on the bass is accidental, I hate that buzzing so, so much.
Yeah really. It sounds like peaking as an intentional, artistic choice and I'm not really down with that.

bows1 posted:

That sounds like its coming through camera. Thats definitely not a mastered track
I sure as gently caress hope that's the case.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Kanye's mastering is always cranked up too hot at his behest i bet that is how it will sound on the album. Eg. MBDTF whole album pretty much gained a bunch of really annoying and abrasive effects in mastering that werent present on the prerelease singles. I thought something was wrong with my copies for the longest time but nope ... That's how yeezus wanted it

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The yeezus album peaked quite a bit too. I imagine it's because Kanye sits there with some poor engineer, yelling at him to turn it up more.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

echronorian posted:

The yeezus album peaked quite a bit too. I imagine it's because Kanye sits there with some poor engineer, yelling at him to turn it up more.

Yeah I've read an account of someone who had been in the studio w/him but I couldn't find it. I think dude was basically saying how Kanye wanted it to sound louder than Jay-Z's album and demanded they crank everything up that bright. It's pretty obnoxious but sounds just like something Ye would do.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lol, of course. Kanye :allears:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It's like he didnt realize literally every kind of sound system ever manufactured has a volume control :shrug:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He's being generous in turning it up for us, the lord works in mysterious ways

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Wolves reminds me of Welcome to Heartbreak, undoubtedly one of Kanye's best starts but also a marked contrast to the tone of the new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMH0e8kIZtE

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Well, do we know the tone of the new album? I've heard 'Wolves' referred to in the press as 'the first new track from his upcoming album' and while this could obviously mean that it's the opener, culd it also be the first track we've heard from the CD itself? There are so many contrasting reports about whether or not 'Only One' is an official single and whether 'FourFive' is a Kanye or Rhianna song. I'd love this to be the only official song we've heard, because that means more Kanye to discover.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Viginti posted:

whether 'FourFive' is a Kanye or Rihanna song.

I feel like I read somewhere that it would appear on both of their albums, but idk how legit that article was. Let's just say I wouldn't have mentioned it if it was sketchy or anything

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

bubblelubble posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that it would appear on both of their albums, but idk how legit that article was. Let's just say I wouldn't have mentioned it if it was sketchy or anything

I've heard some people say that, but I really doubt that it'll end up being on the album. Kanye seems to be treating the song as a Rihanna single, and I definitely don't see it fitting on the same album as Wolves or All Day.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He just records a bunch of music every album, he probably has rights to use it if he wants to but that doesn't mean he will.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I can see it being a hidden track tacked onto the end or something, maybe for a deluxe edition but Ye doesn't do those does he? considering the basic album should always be deluxe or something

But yeah no probably not

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I hope none of these tracks are on the album

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Yeah I've read an account of someone who had been in the studio w/him but I couldn't find it. I think dude was basically saying how Kanye wanted it to sound louder than Jay-Z's album and demanded they crank everything up that bright. It's pretty obnoxious but sounds just like something Ye would do.

Does he make any tasteful decisions at all, ever?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Kanye just had a crazy performance on SNL of Jesus Walks, Only One and Wolves. Kanye's timing is a bit weird, particularly in Only One, and I can't tell if that delivery is wholly intentional or if he just had a sore throat though. Sia and Vic Mensa are awesome on Wolves though. I haven't heard of that dude before but I'll have to check his stuff out.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s4181044.htm

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, his voice seemed gone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That was by far the most entertaining part of that whole special, even with his voice being shot.

I think Only One is actually kind of growing on me. And Wolves still isn't my favorite or anything, but at least that performance sold me on the song way more than that Adidas thing did.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Speaking of SNL40, this photo is the best http://instagram.com/p/zJg_7bsNAH/

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

bubblelubble posted:

Speaking of SNL40, this photo is the best http://instagram.com/p/zJg_7bsNAH/

"George Bush doesn't care about Wayne's World."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

sursumdeorsum posted:

Does he make any tasteful decisions at all, ever?

Sometimes by accident

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I must say, Wolves is really growing on me. The instrumental is pretty haunting. I'll withhold judgement for a studio version though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kanye is becoming a real life super villain. I'm crying tears of joy!

temple fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 16, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Way to rip hopsin's unique and extremely well received style ye. What's next? Ripping off death grips production?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

yeah hopsin invented "wearing colored contacts" just like death grips invented "rapping over loud noises" good one

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

michael jackson "invented" wearing a glove and the moonwalk, psh :smug:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cool and good. posted:

yeah hopsin invented "wearing colored contacts" just like death grips invented "rapping over loud noises" good one

:thejoke:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
where the heck is a good quality wolves stream.

Antequek
May 30, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That was by far the most entertaining part of that whole special, even with his voice being shot.

I believe you're forgetting colon blow
https://vimeo.com/85309632

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

ah... i just had a real life conversation with someone who thought kdot was ripping off hopsin with colored contacts so my b

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ha kdot wears them too? :cripes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He's just following the law of the bluest eye.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

His were black. He wore them on some tv show

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The more I hear Wolves the more I'm stoked on it. That's two songs out the gate with no drums or very minimal percussion. Overall the song is really provocative and that's what I expect from Kanye basically.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Cool and good. posted:

His were black. He wore them on some tv show

The last time he was on SNL (two years ago) and did Black Skinhead and New Slaves, I'm 100% positive that he wore black ones. That performance still blows my mind.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You know you're cool when you can put out a best selling cultural landmark type of album where you say the words "gently caress SNL and their whole cast" and still get invited to their birthday party to wiggle around on the floor in clothes from the 3rd Matrix movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You know you're cool when you can put out a best selling cultural landmark type of album where you say the words "gently caress SNL and their whole cast" and still get invited to their birthday party to wiggle around on the floor in clothes from the 3rd Matrix movie.

he performed that song on snl, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Judge Clayjar posted:

he performed that song on snl, too

To be fair, they took the line out.

• Locked thread