Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Retromancer posted:

I just realized that no NXT callup has gotten over that didn't debut in a stable or faction.

Rusev has done quite well for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Ribsauce posted:

I never got worked harder than Survivor Series 98. When The Rock beat Mankind in that finish I reacted like George Brett in the pine tar game. I couldn't believe it. I was the Mankind mark of all marks (still am, got an autographed socko in a frame even) and when he got screwed, oh man, I can't believe I did not punch a hole in the wall. If there was a youtube video of my reaction it would have like 20 million views. It was some shameful poo poo.

The wrestling on that PPV was not great, but the storytelling was great. The Rock's turn to the corporation blindsided me, but looking back they telegraphed it perfectly. Even that night they gave a hint every match.
1) Rolls up Big Bossman in like 10 seconds
2) Big Bossman "accidentally" threw the nightstick to Rocky
3) Kane got the Undertaker DQ'd
4) The sharpshooter screwjob finish causing a young Ribsauce to run punch his couch 50 straight times then run around his room pissed off like the mark of all time.

PS I "watched" this and every other WWE pay per view on scrambled cable, it was like the radio. Thank god JR was calling the action back then instead of these morons we have now.

I feel like half of us fell in love with wrestling because of this PPV. I loved The Rock and did not understand why he would betray me like that. My little ten year old heart had never known betrayal on that level.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

He is the first, last and only member of Lana's stable.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I feel like half of us fell in love with wrestling because of this PPV. I loved The Rock and did not understand why he would betray me like that. My little ten year old heart had never known betrayal on that level.

This would be why I said it. The matches might be lovely, but the story of the tournament got over, which is really what the question was.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Retromancer posted:

I just realized that no NXT callup has gotten over that didn't debut in a stable or faction.

RUSEV PUTCHKYA

RUSEV MATCHKYA

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Waaa? Rey Mysterio won the tournament but John Cena invoked his rematch on Rey the same night for some reason and won the WWE Championship belt (not title because Punk had that in his fridge).

Actually what the gently caress was the point of the tournament they should have just handed Cena the title like when Bischoff literally gave Triple H The Big Gold Belt.

that's the joke

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Retromancer posted:

I think Paige is pretty over?

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Whoops I thought that was an un-photoshopped WWE revised history yet again type deals.

Or maybe.. I am in the spectrum?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
God drat I was so mad with WWE when they had Cena go over Rey like that. It's like the epitome of Cena being an rear end in a top hat babyface. I was stoked to see Rey win the title too :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Retromancer posted:

A Stable of like Zayn, Balor, Itami, and Owens would be goddamn amazing to watch.

Itami can feud for the US/IC Titles, Zayn and Owens can be feuding for the Tag Team titles(We all know how this ends) Devitt can be the Main Eventer.

Essentially the Nexus, only don't feed them to Cena(Reigns now?)

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

God drat I was so mad with WWE when they had Cena go over Rey like that. It's like the epitome of Cena being an rear end in a top hat babyface. I was stoked to see Rey win the title too :smith:

Look it was necessary because the angle was already taking too long. It's bad enough that they botched the timing and Punk had to return the following week after the story had completely cooled off.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The first wrestling thing I ever watched was Rock/Austin at WMX7.

So good on me starting with the greatest match of all time.

Yeah that was the first ppv I ever ordered. Made the rest of 2001 look like an even bigger pile of puke than it was.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Because he's a millionaire and the WWF Champ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmU128uVAEM

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I went to a house show once and Rocky told the NoD that he wouldn't join them. Then on RAW he joined them and I was pissed at him the whole time after.

Austin was actually a prophet now that I think about it. In wrestling, you really can't trust anyone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Strawberry Panda posted:

I went to a house show once and Rocky told the NoD that he wouldn't join them. Then on RAW he joined them and I was pissed at him the whole time after.

Austin was actually a prophet now that I think about it. In wrestling, you really can't trust anyone.

"DTA, you stupid sumbitch. DON'T TRUST NOBODY!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

keevo posted:

Paige is like one of the only women with merch (though nowhere near as much as AJ), so yeah. She even has her own baby onesie.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Luigi Thirty posted:

Paige is like one of the only women with merch (though nowhere near as much as AJ), so yeah. She even has her own baby onesie.

This is awesome.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Why did he do the backstage celebration?
The whole thing seemed designed to make Cena look bad

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bahaha

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of which, is AJ injured or just taking time off?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Evil ploy by Vince to make her spend time with CM Punk.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Paige is like one of the only women with merch (though nowhere near as much as AJ), so yeah.

Plus she's all over the WWE's cross-media stuff, advertising, games, etc. Crowds ain't bad for her either despite uneven booking. I feel like she's more in the spotlight than most of the other women and that probably wouldn't be happening if she wasn't over, though I suppose with her background and youth she might also be more protected than most.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think she got surgery on a neck problem?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Isn't Paige's gimmick "Maybe a lesbian? better watch she might kiss a girl!" right now?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Retromancer posted:

Isn't Paige's gimmick "Maybe a lesbian? better watch she might kiss a girl!" right now?

Not until Dunn got a hold of her :(

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The blonde woman in the front row who was going NUTS for Rock the entire night and was totally gobsmacked by his heel turn is one of my favorite wrestling fan moments ever.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

keevo posted:

Crowds actually chant for her. She's got real talent and they recognize it. Even though she's usually working lovely divas matches the crowds want to she her kick a diva in the gut rather than watch some talentless model botch everything. And Paige is actually entertaining on Total Divas, in part because she's a rational, reasonable person surrounded by lunatics.

Paige owns. Can't wait to see her eventual matches with Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch and Bayley.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

Can't wait to see her eventual matches with Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch and Bayley.

that are three minutes long, maybe seven or eight on the ppv

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Retromancer posted:

I saw a Total Divas commercial and it looked like this was literally the plot of an episode.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

His faction is the USSR and the science of Marxist-Leninism.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Rusev/Lana/Putin. How is that not a stable? :confused:

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

For some weird reason that PPV was broadcast in full on free to air TV in Australia at 10pm at night about a week after it aired. It was the first and only time that ever happened to my recollection.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes

MacDougall posted:

For some weird reason that PPV was broadcast in full on free to air TV in Australia at 10pm at night about a week after it aired. It was the first and only time that ever happened to my recollection.

Thank you for this, I was wondering how I saw this PPV for the first time I forgot it was on "normal" TV here

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

achillesforever6 posted:

Because he's a millionaire and the WWF Champ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmU128uVAEM

This made me remember just how much The Authority are a lovely Vince replacement. Triple H needs to learn how to strut or something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RBX posted:

They actually see balor as a future main event talent already. I wouldn't worry about him.

HHH sees Balor as a main event talent. We don't know what Vince/Dunn thinks. Vince might see the make up and push him as The Boogeyman II. Or find out he's Irish and push him as Hornswoggle's slightly larger brother.

We won't know until it happens.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope Dunn receives a series of brutal dropkicks and double stomps after suggesting they ruin Balor.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gonz posted:

"DTA, you stupid sumbitch. DON'T TRUST NOBODY!"

My favorite thing is that he actually says "Don't never trust nobody!" in that moment which is very much not DTA.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope Dunn receives a series of brutal dropkicks and double stomps after suggesting they ruin Balor.

Avalanche inverted bloody sunday

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Phenix Rising posted:

My favorite thing is that he actually says "Don't never trust nobody!" in that moment which is very much not DTA.

As a Texan I can say that falls under the ""Y'all" can be singular or plural" clause of Southern drawl.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Piss in my rear end posted:

nah remember when she was out recently due to a minor injury? that was a boob job

One of Charlotte's implants started leaking so they took it out. She wrestled for months with one bigger boob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rovert posted:

One of Charlotte's implants started leaking so they took it out. She wrestled for months with one bigger boob.

I thought that was Eva Marie whose implants exploded.

• Locked thread