Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm interested to see the attach rate for the New 3DS XL. I've been seeing a good chunk of people's posts with the system and either MH4, MM or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has anyone had the chance to play kid Icarus on the New? I was notorious for hating the game with a vengeance, but I'm down to give it another shot if it's worth it (it being 700 coins)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

my best buy preorder for the majoras mask n3ds xl hasnt shipped yet, should i be panicking right now y/n.

i dont need it immediately. i just need it.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I've done the wireless transfer option, but then it had an error at around late 90%ish percents. I then tried to do a PC transfer!

Ends up almost everything transferred to my N3DS anyway, which is good, as I apparently didn't have the right screwdrivers to open the darn thing anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Everything sucks and is terrible. I'm missing so many good games on that loving thing, both right now and in the past :smith:

have you tried a 2ds

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Has anyone had the chance to play kid Icarus on the New? I was notorious for hating the game with a vengeance, but I'm down to give it another shot if it's worth it (it being 700 coins)

I believe the nub will just act as a left hand control rather than use it for dual stick aiming unfortunately. I'd go to again if they patched it in...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

corn in the bible posted:

have you tried a 2ds

No, but I can't imagine it's any better, if anything it'd probably be worse with the tiny screens.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm enjoying it more due to the stable 3D but if you played it and hated it then you probably won't change your mind.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

I used task rabbit to get someone to wait in line at Target and buy me the Majora's Mask 3DS.

She called in sick and didn't forward the task. WELP.

So how long until a matte sticker with the MM3DS image on it goes on sale for 5 bucks?
Lookie what I found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191490519810?lpid=82&chn=ps
Does the outer case of the New 3DS XL exactly match that of a normal 3DS XL?
Edit: Darn, guess not.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Does the outer case of the New 3DS XL exactly match that of a normal 3DS XL?
Edit: Darn, guess not.

Wrong comparison picture.

But they still don't match exactly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me, or are the speakers on the n3DSXL's better than the old XL's?

On a Majora's Mask side-note, I can't help but feel they missed the obvious opportunity of mapping Items I & II to the extra ZR/ZL buttons (all they do is exactly the same as the regular L/R buttons).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it just me, or are the speakers on the n3DSXL's better than the old XL's?

On a Majora's Mask side-note, I can't help but feel they missed the obvious opportunity of mapping Items I & II to the extra ZR/ZL buttons (all they do is exactly the same as the regular L/R buttons).

They are shockingly better.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I finished the wireless transfer and everything but the ambassdor cert and games transfered over. I can't download any of them from the eshop. If I go look at the system storage I can see files relating to them and the certificate. Any ideas or help?

The original 3dsxl card was formatted by accident. :|

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ghostinmyshell posted:

I finished the wireless transfer and everything but the ambassdor cert and games transfered over. I can't download any of them from the eshop. If I go look at the system storage I can see files relating to them and the certificate. Any ideas or help?

The original 3dsxl card was formatted by accident. :|

Go to the far left on the eShop menu and there's an option for past downloads.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go to the far left on the eShop menu and there's an option for past downloads.

Nothing under re downloadable. I'm looking at account activity and for some reason on the 25th of last month the titles were deleted. WTF.

Guess I'm calling Nintendo tomorrow.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Kinda don't understand why Nintendo gives us a 4GB card when that's like 2 games and a VC title at most.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Kinda don't understand why Nintendo gives us a 4GB card when that's like 2 games and a VC title at most.

Because $$$$$$$$$

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Liquid Penguins posted:

Because $$$$$$$$$

It was a convoluted thought, but it makes little sense because replacing the SD card is almost (actually, it's on par with) replacing the battery – something that don't really want you doing. If Nintendo gives us a bigger SD card from the get-go, we don't have to mess with the SD card, we can actually buy more games, and the money goes to Nintendo (sans the cut they'd cut to Toshiba for the cards themselves) instead of us having to factor in the extra $15 we're spending to buy a big enough card.

e: Also, free Flipnote Studio 3D code

A079-8XHB-2V0J-7TGJ

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I am glad there was a demo for MH4U. I liked the gameplay a little bit more than I thought I would, but I was very surprised by how small the areas are and how frequently it needs to load.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the truth posted:

I am glad there was a demo for MH4U. I liked the gameplay a little bit more than I thought I would, but I was very surprised by how small the areas are and how frequently it needs to load.

get a new 3ds you fuckin plebe

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Because $$$$$$$$$

I don't think they get a cut when you order an SD card from Newegg or buy it at Staples or whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

I don't think they get a cut when you order an SD card from Newegg or buy it at Staples or whatever.

You do know that it's cheaper to to get a 4 GB card instead of a larger one, right?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Nintendo really wanted to max their $$$ from the MicroSD setup, they'd sell a "memory upgrade kit" with a higher-capacity MicroSD card, a MicroSD->SD adapter, and a cheap screwdriver.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Supercar Gautier posted:

If Nintendo really wanted to max their $$$ from the MicroSD setup, they'd sell a "memory upgrade kit" with a higher-capacity MicroSD card, a MicroSD->SD adapter, and a cheap screwdriver.

Gamestop Full Power Kit

•32GB MicroSD with Adapter
•Tiny Gamestop brand screwndriver
•Charger
•Gamestop branded battery

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So is there any good reason not to buy digital? Digital seems to make so much sense for a portable console but I saw a bunch of people posting who seem willing to wait till Monday or something for MM or MH to ship Instead of just downloading their games today. I know Nintendo's account stuff is a pain, but if I lose it can I still transfer my games to a new console? The info I'm finding seems to be "yes, if you call them" but I just want to make sure before buying a bunch of digital stuff.

noirstronaut posted:

Nah I love Monster Hunter but that's a pretty legitimate complaint with the franchise, especially if you just watch the trailers with like huge sweeping landscape shots.

It's still a good fuckin game but it's better to go into it knowing that you're basically chasing monsters through a series of large arenas.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 14, 2015

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

So is there any good reason not to buy digital? Digital seems to make so much sense for a portable console but I saw a bunch of people posting about waiting for their games to be delivered today. I know Nintendo's account stuff is a pain, but if I lose it can I still transfer my games to a new console? The info I'm finding seems to be "yes, if you call them" but I just want to make sure before buying a bunch of digital stuff.

Yes if you call them they can retrieve your digital stuff if its tied to your NNID. You are SOL with the save files.

With physical pros, for the most part games are cheaper physically because they go on sale more often or can be bought used for cheap (barring Atlus games cause they go on sale constantly and out of print games like Kid Icarus), you can resell a game if you don't like it whereas with a digital title you're stuck with it, you don't need to invest as much money in memory cards (but memory is cheap so eh), and special editions where physical copies get extras like soundtracks/artbooks obviously aren't possible with digital like the Skull Kid figure with MM.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Bought one this morning. It is my first 3DS.

Mario 3D Land is awesome and Pokemon X seems solid but easier than I remember R/B being. I haven't had a chance to try DKCR, MK7, ALBW, Bravely Default, KI:U (the menus look just like Smash Bros), or Majora's Mask. I was working nights for a couple weeks before the system launched, so I tracked down some deals in my downtime.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People talk about the perils of buying digital from Nintendo, but my digital games have all migrated intact from Wii -> Wii U, and from 3DS -> 3DS XL -> N3DS. And that's even after a faulty XL unit messed up the first of those 3DS transfers.

The actual downsides are that you can't get a cheaper price than MSRP unless there's a sale, and if you buy a game that you end up not liking or wanting to keep, you can't resell it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hmm, think the Duraflexi for the New 3DS XL isn't as good as the regular XL.

Here is the old XL

And here is the New XL

As you can see, the edge of the New Duraflexi rubs against my finger and makes it a bit uncomfortable after some time.

Another shot of the side of both

Half tempted to make some "precision" cuts or maybe wait for some Best Skins Ever for it to come out or something...

Just a PSA I guess for accessory shoppers.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hmm, think the Duraflexi for the New 3DS XL isn't as good as the regular XL.

I put a Skinomi Protector on my N3DS. I used it on my old 3DS XL with no issues.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
When I went to pick up my Nu3DS, there was a Nintendo rep taking pictures and talking to folks. Was nice, and their enthusiasm was cool. :3:

Got my system transferred just fine, when it asked if I use an SD, miniSD, or MicroSD for my regular 3DS's memory, it said I could just slam the MicroSD out of its SD adapter straight into the Nu3DSXL and go from there, props to the duder who said I could do that. I was :stare: for several minutes watching those Pikmin transfer my stuff from my old 3DS to my new one.

I just wanna know who was orchestrating those Pikmin because who the gently caress sends Whites to lift stuff instead of zerging Purples into it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

People talk about the perils of buying digital from Nintendo, but my digital games have all migrated intact from Wii -> Wii U, and from 3DS -> 3DS XL -> N3DS. And that's even after a faulty XL unit messed up the first of those 3DS transfers.

The actual downsides are that you can't get a cheaper price than MSRP unless there's a sale, and if you buy a game that you end up not liking or wanting to keep, you can't resell it.

Yeah this is pretty much it; you can't sell it back, the chances of it getting cheaper are slim to none, you can't loan someone your copy to play it on their system, and you miss out on preorder/bundle bonuses from buying physical. On the other hand, if you're going to buy games on release day, I say you may as well buy it digital.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I only know one person who is fully digital, but I thought the main idea was that if it was a game you could pick up and play for a few seconds, you definitely get digital, but otherwise, get physical. I'm more of a physical guy since I like collecting, but if I see someone selling a code for like $5, I'm about that life.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

A friend that seems to hate every big Nintendo franchise bar Pokemon just picked up a NewXL and says he is going fully digital. Probably evens out when he didn't buy a single game for his DS.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pokemon is like the perfect example of a game that's great to own digitally, so that's not too surprising.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's also really easy to go digital with 3DS. I have a 32 GB card and a poo poo ton of games and am nowhere close to out of room, since the games just aren't that big.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I originally bought carts because carts are cool, but I have an upcoming cross country flight and I'm starting to regret that decision.....

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I basically own one cart at a time and he rest digital.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Anyone know how to do this? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Canned Panda posted:

Anyone know how to do this? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/new-nintendo-3ds/support/microsd-management/

e: If anyone gets a spare collector's edition Majora's Mask and they aren't interested in scalping, let a brother know.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Everyone say sorry to their 3DS' that something younger and hotter came along, and tell them today, no putting it off just because it's valentines.

• Locked thread