Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

theflyingexecutive posted:

You must be a hoot at parties.

As I stated earlier, I don't drink. Sorry if this makes me anti-fun.

Edit: For the record, I don't drink because it makes me physically ill. And I don't mean I get bad hangovers, I mean my body skips the 'fun drunk stage' and dives right into 'doubled over and vomiting stage'. So yeah, I literally can't enjoy a stupid film drunk. Which is why I hate it when people use that excuse to justify lovely films.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

theflyingexecutive posted:

You must be a hoot at parties.

They don't go to parties.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mod sassinator posted:

Don't get too attached to external sites though, Netflix is actively shutting down their API and partners that use it. Its really sucks and is completely braindead on their part.

And yeah I know some sites got an exemption, but it's just a matter of time before Netflix shuts them down too.

What is the rationale behind this anyway?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Saying a movie is worth watching because there are worse movies seems like a really weak argument for watching for anything.

I did think Iron Sky was alright though. I can be pretty easily amused though and I liked the Downfall meme joke way more than I should have.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Saying a movie is worth watching because there are worse movies seems like a really weak argument for watching for anything.

I did think Iron Sky was alright though. I can be pretty easily amused though and I liked the Downfall meme joke way more than I should have.

It's the "children are starving in Africa" defense sure there is always something worse it doesn't make this bad thing less bad though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

What is the rationale behind this anyway?

I think they got annoyed with sites that spelled out exactly how many films they were losing at a given time. There was a huge hoopla a few years ago when in new years alot of contracts expired at once and they lost hundreds of good movies overnight. That's something they'd rather make it difficult to notice. Most people can barely remember what's in their queue and won't notice something is gone unless it's pointed out. They want to make it harder to point it out.

Also I think in general I think when you get as big as Netflix you want to keep all that poo poo internal. You want to make it so if someone wants ti use any aspect if your service, they need to go through your pre-approved ways only. It's like how if you want to manage any files on your Iphone you pretty much have to use loving Itunes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea they weren't fans of making it super easy to go "OH MY GOD LOOK HOW MANY THINGS THEY LOST WOW GUESS NETFLIX SUCKS NOW". Also with the way contracts go in more than a few cases '(x) is set to leave on the first' means 'our contract expires on the first and we're working to get a new one but don't have it yet' so they especially weren't fans of people going 'oh man they're gonna lose (movie) gently caress it!' when they're actively trying to keep (movie).

That said, it's still dumb to treat it as some big secret, and if anything it seems way more problematic than just letting it go because now those same people are thinking 'so I guess Netflix is hemorrhaging titles and don't want me to know!'

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah why would anyone like to make fun of movies with their friends? Huh, whats that? Mystery Science what?

Not all bad movies are equally suited to the MST3K treatment. There are fun bad movies and there are bad bad movies. Watch one of the fun ones, smartass. Don't sit there and try to wring enjoyment out of Iron Sky by chaining your friends to the couch and plying them with cheap booze.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Every ninja movie I have ever seen in the 80s and 90s is a triumph of fun, bad movie making. Why are 90% of the ninja movies on NF the boring kind? Happy Valentines day indeed!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Spartacus is on Netflix and it justifies the subscription cost all on its own

e: actually this is relevant, get drunk with your friends and watch Spartacus, gently caress Iron Sky

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Junkie Disease posted:

Every ninja movie I have ever seen in the 80s and 90s is a triumph of fun, bad movie making. Why are 90% of the ninja movies on NF the boring kind? Happy Valentines day indeed!

is miami connection still on netflix? Cause if so it makes up for the other 90%

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Infernal Affairs is on Netflix and it justifies the subscription cost all on its own

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Leper Residue posted:

is miami connection still on netflix? Cause if so it makes up for the other 90%

It isnt and it should have been called Ninja Connection.
Today is last day to see Catwoman on hbogo,
A movie written by ether a committee or reddit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

The lack of Surf Ninjas is a tragedy, it's true.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The lack of Surf Ninjas is a tragedy, it's true.

So many missing American and Chinese super ninja movies missing it's criminal.

Edit the DC comics animated movies on hbogo are 3/4ths terrible writing and animation the other 1/4th is all-star superman so at least the story is decent

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 14, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

It isnt and it should have been called Ninja Connection.
Today is last day to see Catwoman on hbogo,
A movie written by ether a committee or reddit.

It was actually written by a triumvirate of Harvard graduates also responsible for Terminators 3 and Salvation. Also The Net.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Anonymous Robot posted:

See now, there's the problem: I want to see like half of these and had no way of knowing they were on Netflix until now.
There are a million great movies on Netflix - Battleship Potemkin, Fargo, The Master, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover, Annie Hall, Gomorrah, The Graduate, The Producers, Days of Being Wild, Valhalla Rising, In Bruges, Sunset Boulevard, Slacker, Galaxy Quest, The Comedy, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Heathers, In the Loop, Grosse Pointe Blank, City of God, Terminator 2, Trainspotting, Days of Heaven, The Trial, Dead Man, Bronson, The Fifth Element, Once Upon a Time in the West, All About Eve, Nostalghia, Glengarry Glen Ross, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Apartment, Almost Famous, Metropolis, The Odd Couple, High Noon, eXistenZ, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Super, The Good, The Bad, and the Weird, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, OSS 117: Lost in Rio, Upstream Color, Faust, Jerry Maguire, Black Hawk Down, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Our Hospitality, Strike, Manhunter, The Bicycle Thief, Django Unchained, Seven, Reservoir Dogs, Assault on Precinct 13, Clue, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Grey, Stand by Me, Ordinary People, ENcounters at the End of the World, Amores Perros, The General, Mission: Impossible, Shane, Becket, 99 River Street, On Golden Pond, Sling Blade, Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards!, The Hunt, Stories We Tell, Holy Motors, The Rabbi's Cat, Melancholia, Oslo, August 31st, Weekend, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Carlos, Armadillo, The Order of Myths, Time and Winds, The Sun, The Return, Russian Ark, Code Unknown, Hoop Dreams, Sherman's March, Mauvais Sang, Alice, Bad Timing, 3 Women, The Conformist, Man with a Movie Camera, Coriolanus... they just can't figure out how to let people find them.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The Raid 2 was recently added to the UK Netflix, along with Calvary :woop:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Manhunter, Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards!, Holy Motors

Fuuuuuck

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Holy Motors is loving fantastic in every possible way but the Netflix version is bullshit because they blurred a boner.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Time Dissolver posted:

...because they blurred a boner.

What in the gently caress?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cleanflix slowly taking over.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What is Netflix's censorship policy anyway? What will they show and not show? No erections allowed I'm assuming based on Time Dissolver's post.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The hell of it is that Holy Motors is exactly the kind of movie that would blur a boner out for artistic purposes, so the first time I saw it I didn't think, "Censorship!" I thought, "Fascinating. I can't tell if he's flaccid or erect."

e: They can show erections, or at least they could a few years ago when I watched Antichrist on Instant.

double edit: yeah, or it could be on the distributor's end.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 14, 2015

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Again, Netflix doesn't alter their content. They show what they are given. The same censorship is present on iTunes and Amazon.

As they point out, it's unlikely that the distributor really needed to censor it given other stuff like Antichrist gets by fine (so I doubt the "VOD follows cable rules" theory), but they probably thought they were playing it safe for distribution in multiple markets.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Holy Motors is loving fantastic in every possible way but the Netflix version is bullshit because they blurred a boner.

I distinctly remember seeing the boner when I watched Holy Motors on Netflix

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Infernal Affairs isn't like 36 hours long though

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are a million great movies on Netflix - Battleship Potemkin, Fargo, The Master, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover, Annie Hall, Gomorrah, The Graduate, The Producers, Days of Being Wild, Valhalla Rising, In Bruges, Sunset Boulevard, Slacker, Galaxy Quest, The Comedy, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Heathers, In the Loop, Grosse Pointe Blank, City of God, Terminator 2, Trainspotting, Days of Heaven, The Trial, Dead Man, Bronson, The Fifth Element, Once Upon a Time in the West, All About Eve, Nostalghia, Glengarry Glen Ross, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Apartment, Almost Famous, Metropolis, The Odd Couple, High Noon, eXistenZ, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Super, The Good, The Bad, and the Weird, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, OSS 117: Lost in Rio, Upstream Color, Faust, Jerry Maguire, Black Hawk Down, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Our Hospitality, Strike, Manhunter, The Bicycle Thief, Django Unchained, Seven, Reservoir Dogs, Assault on Precinct 13, Clue, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Grey, Stand by Me, Ordinary People, ENcounters at the End of the World, Amores Perros, The General, Mission: Impossible, Shane, Becket, 99 River Street, On Golden Pond, Sling Blade, Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards!, The Hunt, Stories We Tell, Holy Motors, The Rabbi's Cat, Melancholia, Oslo, August 31st, Weekend, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Carlos, Armadillo, The Order of Myths, Time and Winds, The Sun, The Return, Russian Ark, Code Unknown, Hoop Dreams, Sherman's March, Mauvais Sang, Alice, Bad Timing, 3 Women, The Conformist, Man with a Movie Camera, Coriolanus... they just can't figure out how to let people find them.

A list like this seems like a pretty good opening to reboot the thread. Current one is 4 years old and all the content swapping over the years makes it hard to navigate where active recommendations end and disappointment begins for people browsing backward.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

marktheando posted:

What is Netflix's censorship policy anyway? What will they show and not show? No erections allowed I'm assuming based on Time Dissolver's post.

Like Erebus said, they will show as much or as little as they are provided. They used to have 9 Songs completely unedited, as well as a couple of really explicit french titles. I'm still waiting for an improved copy of Amazing Stories- the one they have on there is sub-VHS resolution and movies at 10fps. I'm not asking for it in HD but it's pretty much the worst looking series in their library right now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

A list like this seems like a pretty good opening to reboot the thread. Current one is 4 years old and all the content swapping over the years makes it hard to navigate where active recommendations end and disappointment begins for people browsing backward.

Hey, if someone was willing to make the new thread, I'd close this one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

It was actually written by a triumvirate of Harvard graduates also responsible for Terminators 3 and Salvation. Also The Net.

Still more watchable then anything Orci and Kurtzman crapped out ever. TS is pushing it though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hey, if someone was willing to make the new thread, I'd close this one.

I'm always willing to be the OP of a thread I mainly ignore. If people want to list some stuff that's on Netflix, I'll make a new thread tomorrow morning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

I'm always willing to be the OP of a thread I mainly ignore. If people want to list some stuff that's on Netflix, I'll make a new thread tomorrow morning.

I'm holding you to that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Like Erebus said, they will show as much or as little as they are provided. They used to have 9 Songs completely unedited, as well as a couple of really explicit french titles. I'm still waiting for an improved copy of Amazing Stories- the one they have on there is sub-VHS resolution and movies at 10fps. I'm not asking for it in HD but it's pretty much the worst looking series in their library right now.

Barton Fink is butchered pan n scan and Running Turtle is honest to god, VCD with hardcoded subtitles half off the screen. Would love to have a way to at least report this to them

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm holding you to that.

That I'll make the thread or that I'll mainly ignore it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

That I'll make the thread or that I'll mainly ignore it?

That you'll make it. Once you make it all bets are off buddy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Junkie Disease posted:

Barton Fink is butchered pan n scan

Really? It's been on and off streaming for a while but I'm pretty sure it used to be a pretty good transfer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The hell of it is that Holy Motors is exactly the kind of movie that would blur a boner out for artistic purposes, so the first time I saw it I didn't think, "Censorship!" I thought, "Fascinating. I can't tell if he's flaccid or erect."

e: They can show erections, or at least they could a few years ago when I watched Antichrist on Instant.

double edit: yeah, or it could be on the distributor's end.

Nymphomaniac and Blue is the Warmest Color would definitely both disagree with Netflix censoring.. anything.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Barton Fink is butchered pan n scan and Running Turtle is honest to god, VCD with hardcoded subtitles half off the screen. Would love to have a way to at least report this to them

Watch the movie for a second, then on the website go My Account --> Viewing Activity --> Report Problem next to the title in the list. No guarantee they do anything about it or how quickly. That's also where you can erase your history, which is a newish thing and useful if you arent a grown up in charge of what you're allowed to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

marktheando posted:

That doesn't even apply. I just watched Blue is the Warmest Color and I definitely saw an erect dick.

• Locked thread