Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

How's MM play on an 3dsxl? As in not a new one. I'm not ready to upgrade just yet based on my usage. But I do want to Zelda.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nolgthorn posted:

Everyone say sorry to their 3DS' that something younger and hotter came along, and tell them today, no putting it off just because it's valentines.

I'm literally watching mine blink red in despair right now. The weird part is that if it doesn't sell in the next few days, I'll just have 3 XLs.

--

Does anyone have the official cradle? It looks hot, but I don't think it's $20 hot.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

How's MM play on an 3dsxl? As in not a new one. I'm not ready to upgrade just yet based on my usage. But I do want to Zelda.

Exactly the same, minus the free third person camera control offered by the c-stick.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

How's MM play on an 3dsxl?

It plays just fine on the standard edition. I haven't done everything there is to do in the game yet, but in places where precision in movement is needed, like the treasure chest blind maze minigame, it controls just fine without camera controls.
The first person gyro-aiming is fine and actually faster to aim than with the thumbstick. It feels surprisingly natural when I was expecting the lag of Wii Motion Controls.
I don't like holding the stylus while playing, so get your greasy thumbs all over the touch screen. The UI is actually useful instead of merely present.

You can always trade up to New3DS, too w/ the system transfer later on, a process seen as arcane and devilish as handling Greek fire, or the dreaded screwdriver.

e: surprisingly, nobody's mentioned a difference in framerate between systems tho???

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Awesome. Thanks, I'll probably wait for a official refurbished or a sweet sale to jump on the new, if I ever get one. Gonna get MM tomorrow after I jump on the Best Buy gamer club sale.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This is more a general electronics question but it'd about the N3DS specifically: Is it better to let the change run down before plugging it into a charger, or keep it plugged in and topped up at all times? I see around people say "oh if you do [the latter] it wears out the battery" but it's all anecdotal. I have a Vita and an old 3DS and I'd swear they don't have as long a battery life as they used to and those things were always plugged in.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Battery elasticity was a flaw in nickel cadmium batteries, but the same problem doesn't really exist in modern lithium ion batteries.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pierson posted:

This is more a general electronics question but it'd about the N3DS specifically: Is it better to let the change run down before plugging it into a charger, or keep it plugged in and topped up at all times? I see around people say "oh if you do [the latter] it wears out the battery" but it's all anecdotal. I have a Vita and an old 3DS and I'd swear they don't have as long a battery life as they used to and those things were always plugged in.

I'm pretty sure batteries just run down with use anyway.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pierson posted:

All batteries in everything go bad eventually. They just don't last forever. So keep that in mind. I don't think full drain or partial matters much BUT avoid having it on the chrger when it is full. That can kill a battery real quick based on the technology they are using.

So just charge when needed, not overnight. And they will degrade no matter what over the years. Vital battery can be user replaced. Probably 3ds too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

This was a common problem with very old batteries; think the one your dad used to charge his VHS camcorder. I remember a long time ago I had these batteries that must have weighed 40 lbs and they were used for lighting equipment; THOSE were the kind of batteries you had to worry about overcharging/undercharging.

These days, batteries know when to shut off. That is why the little light turns off when they are done being charged. They aren't receiving any charge larger than what they can accept.

My WiiU gamepad stays on the stand 100% of the time I am not using it; it would be absolutely dead by now if that were the case. Also, Nintendo wouldn't have made charging docks if charging for long periods of time were bad.

The only thing I am still iffy on is if devices need to be fully charged before using them for the first time. To err on the side of caution, I tend to charge all my new electronics to 100% before my first use (which can be pretty daunting when getting a shiny new gadget) but that's probably just my OCD. I had always heard that if you don't do that, then the device/battery gets "confused" as to what the 100% charge level is.

Does anyone know why my Majora's Mask 3DS XL is stuck in this status still?

I take it I am one of the few lucky ones whose orders weren't cancelled, but why is it still "stuck" in this status? I called them and they said they didn't know if it was going to actually ship or not.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I think I did something dumb. I bought an NES style 3ds yesterday to replace my old one, which I gave to my little brother. I got it at Gamestop. Now Im catching up on this thread, and apparently the new model is already out, and a major upgrade. Im super the GS people would be happy to let me return and trade up, but the problem is I already did the system transfer. According to what I understood from the info they give you when you do it, you can only transfer purchases once a week. Im sure by then Id have a much harder time with a buyers remorse return. Am I screwed? Is the new one even that much better then the :krad: paint job? I hear the 3d is better, but on the other hand, I don't care about Amiibos ect.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It is an incremental upgrade at best at the moment. The only "exclusive" game that is known about is a port of the Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles so unless that is a major selling point for you, you're fine right now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Decided to download the MH4 demo this morning, just to see if I do still get the headaches. Whoever decided to put the Song of Storms on loop on the eshop while I download the MH4 demo is a complete loving monster. :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm selling my 3DS XL with any Club Nintendo reward for $125 on the SA-Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700393

Outside of that, HarmoKnight is crazy fun and gently caress whoever said otherwise.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Does anyone know why my Majora's Mask 3DS XL is stuck in this status still?

I take it I am one of the few lucky ones whose orders weren't cancelled, but why is it still "stuck" in this status? I called them and they said they didn't know if it was going to actually ship or not.

Nearly everyone who ordered from Best Buy, including me, is in this same boat. When customer service is called, the answer is always, "UPS hasn't picked it up yet." I asked BB Support over Twitter and got this response: "I am sorry if it hasn't shipped. I am positive it'll get completed soon."

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nolgthorn posted:

Everyone say sorry to their 3DS' that something younger and hotter came along, and tell them today, no putting it off just because it's valentines.

Sorry Gold Zelda XL, you were fun but I got myself a shinier, gold-ier, model. Back into your box you go, like the blue 3DS before you :wave:.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It is an incremental upgrade at best at the moment. The only "exclusive" game that is known about is a port of the Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles so unless that is a major selling point for you, you're fine right now.

It's incremental in that everything about the newXL is improved. Even the speakers are far better. You can really hear the deep echo of the Town Clock in Majora's Mask striking the hour ominously.

gypsyshred posted:

I think I did something dumb. I bought an NES style 3ds yesterday to replace my old one, which I gave to my little brother. I got it at Gamestop. Now Im catching up on this thread, and apparently the new model is already out, and a major upgrade. Im super the GS people would be happy to let me return and trade up, but the problem is I already did the system transfer. According to what I understood from the info they give you when you do it, you can only transfer purchases once a week. Im sure by then Id have a much harder time with a buyers remorse return. Am I screwed? Is the new one even that much better then the :krad: paint job? I hear the 3d is better, but on the other hand, I don't care about Amiibos ect.

Wait, you managed to find a new NES 3DS in the wild?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Also just because Xenoblade is the only exclusive doesn't mean that other games aren't going to benefit, Monster Hunter for example looks way better on the N3DS.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I can't remember who, but someone had a clear plastic mario glove style protector that fit the newXL.

Anyone happen to know what it is called? I would like to get one for my MH 3ds.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

gypsyshred posted:

Stores will have more stock in a week (probably) and you have, what, 30 days to return it? So, what you could do is just hold onto the NES one, buy the new when you find it (in a week), transfer from NES to New, return the NES to Gamestop.

I mean, I'm sure you've figured this all out, but the new 3DS XL is flippin sweet.

Kilazar posted:

I can't remember who, but someone had a clear plastic mario glove style protector that fit the newXL.

Anyone happen to know what it is called? I would like to get one for my MH 3ds.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hmm, think the Duraflexi for the New 3DS XL isn't as good as the regular XL.

Here is the old XL

And here is the New XL

As you can see, the edge of the New Duraflexi rubs against my finger and makes it a bit uncomfortable after some time.

Another shot of the side of both

Half tempted to make some "precision" cuts or maybe wait for some Best Skins Ever for it to come out or something...

Just a PSA I guess for accessory shoppers.

Duraflexi by HORI

Also, in case you didn't already know.couldn't tell, there are two versions, a 3DS XL one and a New 3DS XL one. This may seem like common knowledge, but the internet.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 14, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Got a question guys. So when I went to setup my Nintendo Link to my new 3ds is said a system was already linked up with my account. My dumbass apparently didn't disconnect my old 2ds a few months ago when I sold it. Anyways, I called Nintendo and they said they can do a system transfer after "it's approved" and this may take several business days. They said in the meantime don't download anything as it would be lost when my system is transferred.

My question is this - after this system transfer is done will i lose my saved games? If so I'm not going to put much time into MH4 or MM this weekend.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My question is this - after this system transfer is done will i lose my saved games? If so I'm not going to put much time into MH4 or MM this weekend.

If they are retail copies the saves are stored on the carts and can't be lost.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Got a question guys. So when I went to setup my Nintendo Link to my new 3ds is said a system was already linked up with my account. My dumbass apparently didn't disconnect my old 2ds a few months ago when I sold it. Anyways, I called Nintendo and they said they can do a system transfer after "it's approved" and this may take several business days. They said in the meantime don't download anything as it would be lost when my system is transferred.

Yeah, you need to do the transfer between both consoles to keep the saves if you got them digitally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

If they are retail copies the saves are stored on the carts and can't be lost.

If they're digital, the standard transfer process nukes the SD card in the target 3DS with a format.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How well does face tracking 3d work. If I jerk my head will I see a ghost for a second til it adjusts or is it seemless.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

How well does face tracking 3d work. If I jerk my head will I see a ghost for a second til it adjusts or is it seemless.

For me it seems like it's seamless for normal head movements. If I try to break it, I can definitely make it freak out for a second, but it snaps back quickly (same with looking away, it can take a second to adjust when you look back). When I first tried the 3ds I was really impressed with the 3d effect, but never really kept it on because it was annoying to have to be in that perfect spot the whole time. With this I can see myself just leaving it on all the time.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I mean this logic makes sense for people who already own a 3DS XL and are wondering whether they should update, but for people who are in the market for a new 3DS because they haven't dipped yet there's really no reason at this point to buy an old XL unless it's pretty heavily discounted. The $25 difference or so is absolutely worth the upgrade.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's incremental in that everything about the newXL is improved. Even the speakers are far better. You can really hear the deep echo of the Town Clock in Majora's Mask striking the hour ominously.

Yeah, but the question is "I just bought a 3DS a day ago, do I need a New 3DS?" The answer is no, because there isn't a big disparity between the two on a hardware or software front at this moment. Nicer speakers and an extra button and the faster boot times are all nice, but they don't fundamentally change the system enough to rush out and get a new one if you're unsure, in my opinion.

And to be clear, I bought a New 3DS myself yesterday but there's no need to feel buyers remorse for a 3DS purchase at this time.

e: Ya know what, I guess I should ask for some clarification from gypsyshred because rereading the post I'm not sure if they bought a 3DS XL or a 3DS regular. I was assuming an XL, but if that isn't the case then I will change my advice and say go get the New 3DS XL because any XL upgrade is better than the normal edition to me.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 14, 2015

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Just FYI, Plex works on the browser on the New 3DS.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, but the question is "I just bought a 3DS a day ago, do I need a New 3DS?" The answer is no, because there isn't a big disparity between the two on a hardware or software front at this moment. Nicer speakers and an extra button and the faster boot times are all nice, but they don't fundamentally change the system enough to rush out and get a new one if you're unsure, in my opinion.

And to be clear, I bought a New 3DS myself yesterday but there's no need to feel buyers remorse for a 3DS purchase at this time.

e: Ya know what, I guess I should ask for some clarification from gypsyshred because rereading the post I'm not sure if they bought a 3DS XL or a 3DS regular. I was assuming an XL, but if that isn't the case then I will change my advice and say go get the New 3DS XL because any XL upgrade is better than the normal edition to me.

Eh, for future proofing if the guy can return it and upgrade, totally should.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's an XL. I'd agree if he was on his 89th day and debating if he should run into a store tomorrow, try to return it, then get the New, but since he has the bulk of 3 months to return it, and either pay $25 to get the New or straight up swap for it, he totally should.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Canned Panda posted:

Just FYI, Plex works on the browser on the New 3DS.

Holy poo poo that's awesome!!

The new html5 browser is turning out to be a huge selling point for the n3ds!!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Yo how do you turn off this stupid auto-brightness?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RetroHelix posted:

Nearly everyone who ordered from Best Buy, including me, is in this same boat. When customer service is called, the answer is always, "UPS hasn't picked it up yet." I asked BB Support over Twitter and got this response: "I am sorry if it hasn't shipped. I am positive it'll get completed soon."

Thanks! It's confusing because most people online complaining about the Best Buy preorder is that it was completely cancelled, not that it was stuck in preparations. Thanks for clearing it up.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's incremental in that everything about the newXL is improved. Even the speakers are far better.

This is good to hear. I was always pissed about how much quieter the 3DS XL speakers were compared to the blasting loud DSiXL speakers.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Everyone should get a new 3ds. If you suggest otherwise you are wrong.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hit the Settings button on the home menu (top left button, not the app)

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Go into the home menu settings. It's right there.

EFB

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
In preparation for the arrival of my MH4U N3DSXL, I've been feverishly trying to finish off some of my DS and 3DS backlog, since I will be stuck hunting dinosaurs for the next century when it arrives.

I finally got around to playing Layon vs Wright. I was wondering, do Layton games normally play like the Layton sections of this game? I've just finished the second trial, and the game seems to have far less puzzles than I expected from what people say about Layton games. I thought there would be more, and some longer ones. But in general it seems every area has 0-2 puzzles, and none of them are ever particularly long unless I get stuck for a moment trying to figure out what exactly it wants (the use your loaf one confused me, I noticed the toppings before the direction of the marks on the bread, and thought the puzzle was overly easy since the bread with 2 different toppings wasn't clearly shown in the top/original image).

I like the Layton sections somewhat... I just wish there were more puzzles than I've seen so far. Usually it seems to go like this:
1) Walk into new area, talk for a few minutes.
2) Search screen for everything with dialogue / every hint coin
3) Talk to 1-2 people and get either no puzzles to solve or do a puzzle for one or both people.

Yet I always feel like 1 and 2 take up way way more time than 3 does there. I've been curious about the Layton games, but if most of them are how this one has been so far, I feel I'd only want to get them for discounted prices.

Also the treatment of PHoenix in this game makes me sad so far. He apparently doesn't get puzzles and has no clue how to do them so he wants to leave them to Layton... yet in that court case, Layton basically saves them from a guilty verdict and more or less gives Phoenix the answers to stuff that Phoenix seems constantly clueless on about 9 or 10 times. It feels almost more like Layton is the turn about guy, and Phoenix is just there to pose and act lost most of the time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Everyone should get a new 3ds. If you suggest otherwise you are wrong.

You're right. Forgive me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I appreciate everyone's advice. What Im hearing is that it is worth the trouble, and per Gamestop policy, I should be allowed to return and pay the difference next week?

Ps This is the first time I'm annoyed someone didn't upsell me at Gamestop. Its a weird feeling.

• Locked thread