Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whizbang posted:

Good news! We found a dumpster full of TI chips from the 80s, so we're hard at work on the Moto 362.

Can you go back to GBZ naming scheme for your next phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My Moto X2 has been feeling a bit warm from time recently, it doesn't get too hot, but I'm worried. Is this normal?

Here's some info:

- Running Lollipop

- Location services on high accuracy, NFC and Android Beam disabled

- I have this case on my phone, if it helps.

- When I charge my phone, I keep it in a well-ventilated area, away from any heat source and direct sunlight.

EDIT: I also have the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps, should I ditch those?

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 13, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Split-screen multitasking work beautifully on my S4, that excuses Samsung's other 90% gimmick "smart features".
I'd imagine Samsung's spaghetti-on-the-wall approach yields far poorer results than the 10% you're suggesting but even if it didn't why not instead focus on the 10% that work, don't implement the 90% that don't work or are stupid, and use the majority of your resources polishing and refining what's left?

I think we can agree that would be far preferable than their current approach (and coincidentally the same approach HTC and Motorola currently use... hmm).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My Moto X2 has been feeling a bit warm from time recently, it doesn't get too hot, but I'm worried. Is this normal?

Here's some info:

- Running Lollipop

- Location services on high accuracy, NFC and Android Beam disabled

- I have this case on my phone, if it helps.

- When I charge my phone, I keep it in a well-ventilated area, away from any heat source and direct sunlight.

EDIT: I also have the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps, should I ditch those?

you're fine dude, relax

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I also have the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps, should I ditch those?

Yes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Facebook messenger

Facebook Messenger is an enormous pile of poo poo that keeps the CPU on my N6 running constantly, draining the battery and heating the phone up. Dump it and use the website for messaging.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

So I guess exposed thing is out or something. http://www.xda-developers.com/xposed-framework-for-android-lollipop-is-here/

Apologies if this should be in the rooted thread

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
is there an xposed module to not make me have to restart my phone every 6 hours?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

Facebook Messenger is an enormous pile of poo poo that keeps the CPU on my N6 running constantly, draining the battery and heating the phone up. Dump it and use the website for messaging.

FWIW they supposedly fixed this just now

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2vrcuj/facebook_messenger_causing_massive_battery_drain/

Doubt.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll wait for confirmation before I reinstall, since it was so aggravating, but thanks for that link!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll wait for confirmation before I reinstall, since it was so aggravating, but thanks for that link!

There's also apparently an APK which reenables messenging from inside the regular FB app but who knows

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just started using Tinfoil for Facebook, which is just a wrapper for the website. Aside from lack of notifications and pulldown to refresh, it is great.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Where my nigga CLAM at?

Confirming the VU CAR works with an N6 in a Diztronic case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

Where my nigga CLAM at?

Hell yes, ordering one ASAP. Thanks dude.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I uninstalled the Facebook apps earlier (phone's fine now, by the way), I'll wait and see other peoples' comments before reinstalling.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

nerve posted:

Where my nigga CLAM at?

You got yours already? They printed a label for mine but as far as I can tell hasn't shipped it out yet, 5 days later.

How's the base? Do you have any basis for comparison with the iOttie products?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 14, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ruby idiot railed posted:

You got yours already? They printed a label for mine but as far as I can tell hasn't shipped it out yet, 5 days later.

How's the base? Do you have any basis for comparison with the iOttie products?

I haven't owned any other car mounts, nope.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nerve posted:

Where my nigga CLAM at?

Any way we could see a pic of it in your car? I am having trouble imagining it not being obtrusive.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 14, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Heh thanks, looked like actual car-sized photos on my monitor. Pro-tip, put an L before the .jpg for reasonable sized photos.

So it doesn't stick to the window? My dash is all curvy and poo poo

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My addled brain is having trouble parsing this message.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Dark One posted:

My addled brain is having trouble parsing this message.

The latest G+ update changed the auto backup options structure to remove backups only occurring at certain times. If your auto backup settings were set up using them then auto backup was disabled and you must manually re-enable it and you can do so by selecting one of the two options at the bottom.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
That's great: it's peak Google. Give the user a notification that something happened, just enough :techno: to let them know something else happened as a result, than asks what the user thinks of that result.

'Your phone just turned off auto backup, do you want to turn auto backup on?' - no explanation, no whys or hows, no consequences, just 'is this OK', entirely devoid of context. Perfect. But you can look at the stuff you had backed-up!

spincube fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 14, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else have a problem with the Play Store's "Update All" button not actually, y'know, updating all? It will work properly maybe half the time, but often I'll have to hit it two or three times because one or two apps will get updated, then it'll just stop.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with the Play Store's "Update All" button not actually, y'know, updating all? It will work properly maybe half the time, but often I'll have to hit it two or three times because one or two apps will get updated, then it'll just stop.
Yep, happens a lot. Worst is when you watch it because the interval between downloading and installing is usually long enough to make me think it's stopped when nope, it's actually still going.

spincube posted:

That's great: it's peak Google. Give the user a notification that something happened, just enough :techno: to let them know something else happened as a result, than asks what the user thinks of that result.

'Your phone just turned off auto backup, do you want to turn auto backup on?' - no explanation, no whys or hows, no consequences, just 'is this OK', entirely devoid of context. Perfect. But you can look at the stuff you had backed-up!
I don't see how you get that from the picture. There has been a change that affects the user and because that alternative to turning it off could potentially cost the user money they did in fact disable it. Click here to re-enable it.

How can four sentences be this confusing to anyone with the ability to read?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 14, 2015

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I don't see how you get that from the picture. There has been a change that affects the user and because that alternative to turning it off could potentially cost the user money they did in fact disable it. Click here to re-enable it.

How can four sentences be this confusing to anyone with the ability to read?

Auto Backup now does this and doesn't do this. Google turned off Auto Backup. Your stuff is mostly private. Look at your stuff.

[turn on Auto Backup]
[leave Auto Backup off]

There's nothing in there about -why- the app changed, and/or -why- Google had to turn Auto Backup off, so how are you supposed to know what tell your phone what to do? Then there's also the horrible, weasel-wordy 'selected sources' and 'content' phrasing: how can you be sure what you're doing, and respond to the question with any degree of confidence, if they're being deliberately vague like that?

Google+: stuff just happens and you have to guess what it means and whether it may or may not affect you :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Auto Backup now does this and doesn't do this. Google turned off Auto Backup. Your stuff is mostly private. Look at your stuff.

[turn on Auto Backup]
[leave Auto Backup off]

There's nothing in there about -why- the app changed, and/or -why- Google had to turn Auto Backup off, so how are you supposed to know what tell your phone what to do? Then there's also the horrible, weasel-wordy 'selected sources' and 'content' phrasing: how can you be sure what you're doing, and respond to the question with any degree of confidence, if they're being deliberately vague like that?

Google+: stuff just happens and you have to guess what it means and whether it may or may not affect you :)
One, you only see the notice if your backup settings used the time-sensitive settings. If your settings prior to the update weren't bounded that way you did not see any indication that they had changed.

Two, they do say it: "Auto Backup now uploads all photos and videos from selected sources and no longer supports time-specific back ups. Given the change, Google turned off Auto Backup for this device." This is what we changed, and that change affected your settings. So they in fact did say why they turned it off. They turned it off because in no world would the alternative have been preferable.

I guess they don't say why they removed the option in the first place, although I don't see how that would help ("Google, like most companies, occasionally adds and removes features from applications for no discernible reason. In keeping with this practice...") or change the fact that you need to choose now either to re-enable or leave disabled the feature.

Again, I don't even see how it could even be mildly confusing:

quote:

Title: Changes to some feature you use

The feature does this but no longer does this other thing that you used to use. Because it no longer functions the way you set it up, it has been disabled.

We have played fast and loose with your privacy in the past so here's a sentence to reassure you that we aren't going to do that again. If you don't trust that sentence, this sentence is a link to see what you stand to have shown to random people if we decide to launch Buzz 2.

So you're either in...

Or out.

Given you could only see this if you manually turned on and configured Auto Backup in the past I feel aside from the privacy reassurance this a clear, unambiguous message and the correct way to handle removing the option.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spincube posted:

[turn on Auto Backup]
[leave Auto Backup off]

There's nothing in there about -why- the app changed, and/or -why- Google had to turn Auto Backup off, so how are you supposed to know what tell your phone what to do?

I too am incredibly confused by "we turned off auto backup because time - specific backups aren't available anymore. You can leave auto backup off or turn it back on."

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Reverse Centaur posted:

Heh thanks, looked like actual car-sized photos on my monitor. Pro-tip, put an L before the .jpg for reasonable sized photos.

So it doesn't stick to the window? My dash is all curvy and poo poo

It'll stick to either your window or dash. I just chose the dash initially.

The base is a suction cup, but it also has adhesive on it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thank you for dictating my music choice for the day.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

hooah posted:

Are you in any beta app programs? This happens to me every time when the beta app I'm using updates.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

nerve posted:

It'll stick to either your window or dash. I just chose the dash initially.

The base is a suction cup, but it also has adhesive on it.

The way the product sheet on tylt website describes it makes it sound like it's the same material as the stuff that's on the iOttie mounts. Does the instruction say anything about being able to 'renew' the adhesive by simply washing it and letting it dry?

The iOttie stuff mounts on my (slightly springy) faux leather dash without much of an issue (pops off occasionally after a sunny day in a parking lot, but goes right back on no problem).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 14, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

One, you only see the notice if your backup settings used the time-sensitive settings. If your settings prior to the update weren't bounded that way you did not see any indication that they had changed.

Incorrect. On all my devices, mine were set to auto backup with no restrictions (I'm on unlimited, I don't give a gently caress.) I still got the notice on all of them.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ruby idiot railed posted:

The way the product sheet on tylt website describes it makes it sound like it's the same material as the stuff that's on the iOttie mounts. Does the instruction say anything about being able to 'renew' the adhesive by simply washing it and letting it dry?

The iOttie stuff mounts on my (slightly springy) faux leather dash without much of an issue (pops off occasionally after a sunny day in a parking lot, but goes right back on no problem).

This is all there is about the suction cup.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bull3964 posted:

Incorrect. On all my devices, mine were set to auto backup with no restrictions (I'm on unlimited, I don't give a gently caress.) I still got the notice on all of them.

Did you look at the exact text of the notification? I have my settings the same as yours, and I got a different notification, just reminding me my backup was still on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Did you look at the exact text of the notification? I have my settings the same as yours, and I got a different notification, just reminding me my backup was still on.
Same here.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

nerve posted:

This is all there is about the suction cup.

Perfect, same as the iOttie mount.

They still haven't shipped my order tho.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Grumpwagon posted:

Nope, it told me it had disabled backup and asked me if I wanted to re-enable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

I haven't gotten any sort of notification about auto backup. I turned it on the day it originally became available and haven't looked at the settings since.

This made the notification on my wife's phone confusing to me because I had never even heard of time-sensitive backups and neither had she, so when she asked me about it I didn't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Grumpwagon posted:

Are you in any beta app programs? This happens to me every time when the beta app I'm using updates.

I am in a couple beta programs; I'll try to pay attention to when any of those are updating in the future.