Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Vichan posted:

Paradox experimenting with tablet-based Crusader Kings II

THREE major expansions which might contain medieval myths and legends, yes please!

I always wanted an app that will make my tablet combust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

quote:

While we shouldn't expect anything as fantastical as the Sunset Invasion DLC

gently caress Europeans.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Started playing this game for the first time last night and my character's secondborn son and current heir is already gay and possessed. God dammit.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'd be happy with a paired down tablet version of crusader kings that just dealt with one region of Europe - say France at the 1066 start or the British Isles during the dark ages. It doesn't need to cover everything the PC game does, but boy would it be the bee's knees to have this game on a tablet or smart phone when I am traveling.

Also someone should totally make the Great Heathen Army (or something like it) as a potential horde, they could function like an early Aztec Invasion only with more hair and plunder!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Vichan posted:

Paradox experimenting with tablet-based Crusader Kings II

THREE major expansions which might contain medieval myths and legends, yes please!

Here's the full article

Also, there's this:

Henrik Fåhraeus posted:

The game is also getting extremely complex and increasingly hard to maintain and expand upon, but we are now in the middle of a major "tech upgrade" and bug cleansing effort that we started in parallel with the "Way of Life" expansion. We plan to release three more major expansions this year, and then we'll take stock and see where we are. Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes that I'm dying to make Crusader Kings III, but that is still many years off...

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Bug fixing period sounds good to me.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ThaumPenguin posted:

Paradox just posted this on facebook to mark the 3rd anniversary of CK2:

:toot:

Paradox is easily one of the best game studios out there. :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vichan posted:

Skeleton invasion dlc confirmed

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Looking forward to SKELETONS on the map.

Well that or DRACULA, official Vampire expansion when, Paradox?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Back To 99 posted:

Bug fixing period sounds good to me.

As a clarification (of course normal bugs gets fixed as well) that period is mostly about technical stuff behind the hood that is not visible for the user but that affects how we work with the game. So its not bugs in the sense as how you think about it most probably. But we never stop fixing bugs.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Vichan posted:

Yes, add Darklands into it.

Pimpmust posted:

Well that or DRACULA, official Vampire expansion when, Paradox?
Isn't good old Vlad a bit out of the game's time frame?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Crusader Kings 3 would be nice, but it definitely needs to have a EUIV style launch on it otherwise it would be a failure. If it doesn't include all of the expansions up until now it would be seriously problematic.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, add Darklands into it.

Isn't good old Vlad a bit out of the game's time frame?

He's playable in EUIV, but Wallachia has a very difficult start.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

YouTuber posted:

Crusader Kings 3 would be nice, but it definitely needs to have a EUIV style launch on it otherwise it would be a failure. If it doesn't include all of the expansions up until now it would be seriously problematic.

I've not played EU4, what does this mean?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

starting in the charlemagne bookmark as the (mazdaki) count of estafan and kidnapping/murdering the entire abbasid dynasty is the most fun. will prisoners still convert if there's a council member trying to convert the province? i should try to install a mazdaki caliph

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

marktheando posted:

I've not played EU4, what does this mean?

Basically by the end of EU3's lifecycle it was pretty much EU3.5, then 4 basically took the entire game wholesale, updated the engine and made mechanical changes. I think what that poster was getting at was that Crusader Kings 3 really should include most of the gameplay elements that have been added to 2 over the years or it will feel really hollow upon release.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I noticed a hint about the next DLC at the end of that interview I linked:

Henrik Fåhraeus posted:

This expansion will not be event driven like "Way of Life", but more akin to "Legacy of Rome" and "Sons of Abraham".

I'm not quite sure what this means, as LoR and SoA both had quite a few event chains. Are they suggesting more gameplay mechanics, like retinues or the College of Cardinals? That'd be pretty great. No idea what they'd add though.

Palace Decoration DLC? Regional Goods DLC? Crown Designer DLC?

I really have no idea what gameplay mechanic would need to be added, but I know I've seen lots of cool ideas about it in the past. Can't remember any of them, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm not quite sure what this means, as LoR and SoA both had quite a few event chains. Are they suggesting more gameplay mechanics, like retinues or the College of Cardinals? That'd be pretty great. No idea what they'd add though.

I really have no idea what gameplay mechanic would need to be added, but I know I've seen lots of cool ideas about it in the past. Can't remember any of them, though.

Regent DLC. You get to play a Regent and get prestige for doing bad poo poo to the kingdom. The biggest bonus is for murdering a child ruler, getting away with it, and putting an even younger child ruler on the throne.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ThaumPenguin posted:

Pagan religions definitely need work. Also playable theocracies would be sweet.

So I discovered something I hate. Republic players can hold both baronies and cities with no penalties. Just not temples. So you can control say 4 baronies in your capital county, and 3 cities elsewhere, and have a really solid levy while also bringing in a lot of cash. But feudal rulers can't hold cities, and are limited to baronies. That sucks because if you could hold 3 or 4 cities as a feudal ruler without any penalty, income would be a lot less of an issue.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've been appointed Regent before but you can't do a goddamn thing, which imo is a pretty big oversight.

Next expansion is going to expand the map again, I'm calling it now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Uh, the quote up the page doesn't suggest that at all.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Samurai Invasion DLC.

The twist is they don't invade from the edges of the map, they dig a tunnel from China and come burrowing out in the courtyard of St. Peters Basilica

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So long as they fix archers being the one true army base, I'm cool with that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm expecting emphasis on court life, minor titles, factions, and all that, especially for making vassals more interesting.

e: and I'd love reworked mercenaries, because they were a huge part of medieval warfare, but in the late game I can only afford them for a few months despite my king swimming in gold.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

Pagan religions definitely need work. Also playable theocracies would be sweet.

So I discovered something I hate. Republic players can hold both baronies and cities with no penalties. Just not temples. So you can control say 4 baronies in your capital county, and 3 cities elsewhere, and have a really solid levy while also bringing in a lot of cash. But feudal rulers can't hold cities, and are limited to baronies. That sucks because if you could hold 3 or 4 cities as a feudal ruler without any penalty, income would be a lot less of an issue.

This is balanced by the fact that a Republic has some pretty huge limitations on what laws it can use. You can only ever use Low crown authority which is a bigger deal than it seems. That puts some hefty restrictions on what you can do as a patrician and also makes it harder to pry levies from your subjects. Pretty sure this is by design; a crap load of money going to a feudal lord would make feudal lords way better than Republics. As it stands Republics are meant to poo poo out money but rely on funding retinues and mercenaries to wage war. Feudal lords are meant to use levies and go "gently caress you I'm not paying for this" to their vassals whenever the fighting starts.

Republics also have pretty different election mechanics but that's stupidly easy to deal with. Biggest issue is that women can't do anything important in a republic so if you get a really really awesome woman in your dynasty you can't arrange her to be patrician. In theory republics are also supposed to be full of intrigue and competitive murder but it's again stupidly easy to deal with. Early on you might lose an election or two but it's just too easy currently to go on a murder spree and eliminate any house that gets too strong on their own and then buy every election.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've been appointed Regent before but you can't do a goddamn thing, which imo is a pretty big oversight.

I think they've distinctly said that they're not doing this, the game has enough trouble handling the RoI-map, even with engine optimizations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Actual theocracy mechanics does sound like a pretty sweet idea.

I wonder if they might be tempted to take another crack at fixing Islam?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I want this.

EDIT: speaking about small mods, how hard it is to create custom traits? I wanted to create something similar to the crusader and mujahid traits, but for the Reformed Germanic.

It't not all that hard at all, most of the coding is actually done for you already in crusader_events. As a proof of concept I threw it together but the mod only actually adds or alters 5 files in vanilla and is pretty doable with any religion.

Download it here if you'd like to play around with it, just put both files in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod and check it on at the launcher

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 15, 2015

Glasgerion
Jul 25, 2007
Strike on strike on
One of the devs showed a screenshot of a college of cardinals type mechanic for Norse pagans, right? Maybe it'll be something like Sons of Abraham but pagan focused.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Playable mayors would be sweet too if they could add in city politics. I played one game where I consoled tech and money onto my capital of Kiev, so there was 5 incredibly strong baronies in there. Those were the only holdings my ruler had. I'd like to do the same again and keep it in gavelkind, so it would add a bunch of inter-province politics when all those baronies get handed off to different family members.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Glasgerion posted:

One of the devs showed a screenshot of a college of cardinals type mechanic for Norse pagans, right? Maybe it'll be something like Sons of Abraham but pagan focused.

Yeah, but that screenshot was from a mod that it's possible to do right now, so I wouldn't bet on it being a hint of a new expansion feature.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

A puppy? For me?! Thank you so much, I love him!

....where the hell did you find it?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Glasgerion posted:

Yup, he's using it in this SA LP.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I'd like it if they made it so cities weren't just randomly given out to a generated character. I'd like to keep those in my dynasty as a loyal tax base.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Playable barons or whatever could be fun, you'd face the challenges of being part of the lower-ish part of nobility, without a council or anything like that to support you. No idea how it'd work, though.

The Habsburgs are barons in the 1066 start, right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Habsburgs are barons in the 1066 start, right?
Counts, actually.

EDIT: Just checked. Habsburgs are indeed counts, while the Hohenzollerns are barons.

Funky Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 15, 2015

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lux Invicta finally got an official update!

Link

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

AFAIK Paradox have said that playable barons will never ever happen because barons only exist so counts can have vassals. Barons would need to have courts of their own, which on its own would probably double the character count.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DStecks posted:

AFAIK Paradox have said that playable barons will never ever happen because barons only exist so counts can have vassals. Barons would need to have courts of their own, which on its own would probably double the character count.

Yeah, barons currently don't have a council, but they do have courtiers.

At least they have relatives hanging around, plus maybe some lowborns.

Thanks for the info about barons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Crusader realms doing well in this game.

• Locked thread