Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The other day I tried telling a couple friends the greatness of the line "is your social worker in that horse?"but it was really hard to do without describing the context to the entire episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Astrofig posted:

Yeah, I always heard that he's actually a lovely guy; that lady just started slandering him because she didn't like him.

That person may have lying, I dunno. Two other people in the comments corroborated, one to who claimed to have worked with him on BE and another with Dawson's Creek. Supposedly he has a reputation for being a pain in the rear end in that's why he only gets bit parts in lovely indie movies and such.

Someone else wrote a really scathing attack on an at-the-time "unidentified no-name actor" that was clearly Pitt during the filming of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, based on the details they gave.

It could all be BS. I was mostly curious if there had been any talk about why he left / got replaced. He made a great Verger, and the guy replacing him hasn't really been in anything decent.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Am I the only one who thought he completely sucked? I'm glad they recast the character and as long as the new actor doesn't do a Pitt impression I bet he'll be better

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Pitt was basically doing a Gary Oldman impersonation, so I don't see it as a big loss.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
He really underwhelmed me. I had such high hopes because he was brilliant in Boardwalk Empire, often outshining Steve Buscemi IMO.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Look Sir Droids posted:

If the show switches networks I hope they won't add any boobs, gore, or swearing. This show has turned adhering to censorship in to an art form.

Well, except for the gore part, which realistically is waaay intense for primetime NBC. I seriously don't get how they got away with all that, especially in the finale.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Well, except for the gore part, which realistically is waaay intense for primetime NBC. I seriously don't get how they got away with all that, especially in the finale.

Apparently in the episode with the guy who made angels they were not allowed show butts, but got by it by dowsing the butts in blood and that was A OKAY

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
It was specifically the butcrack they couldn't show---so they filled them with blood and the network rubber-stamped it.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Rabbit Hill posted:

He really underwhelmed me. I had such high hopes because he was brilliant in Boardwalk Empire, often outshining Steve Buscemi IMO.

I liked him because he was just so drat over the top but he still creeped me out, but then I'm easily creeped so you know.

Astrofig posted:

It was specifically the butcrack they couldn't show---so they filled them with blood and the network rubber-stamped it.

My favorite example of the pure ??? that is Standards and Practices.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I wonder if Pitt just bailed because of the prospect of performing entirely in prosthetic make-up as a paraplegic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

I've heard several different reasons for the survival of The Wire, but yea they all have to do with the fact that HBO thinks about their brand differently than a regular network.

I lot of people say that The Wire wasn't cancelled because HBO had polls which told them Wire fans subscribed solely for that show and would unsubscribe if it were cancelled. So to cancel The Wire wouldn't have saved any money because the money lost in subscriptions would have offset any savings. I've also heard that a few executives at HBO recognized The Wire as an extremely important show that needed to continue regardless of any ratings. I'm sure it was a combination of both. The point is at HBO there are ways to avoid cancellation even if you don't have millions of viewers every week.

Funny thing is, that same mentality is what kept Simon's other show, Homicide, on the air for 7 seasons and a movie despite the show barely breaking the top 100 rated shows of the week.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toffee apple heart?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It could all be BS. I was mostly curious if there had been any talk about why he left / got replaced. He made a great Verger, and the guy replacing him hasn't really been in anything decent.

None of the announcements I saw had any reason for it at least. It's weird, really, Pitt is one of those actors who I keep hearing is a douche but I've never heard of anything specific he's done to deserve that reputation. Maybe he's just generally stubborn and unpleasant?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
http://tvline.com/2015/02/20/emmy-awards-rule-changes-comedy-drama-half-hour/

Now that there's going to be seven drama nominee slots instead of six, maybe Hannibal will FINALLY get the recognition it deserves!

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Vitamin P posted:

I use tumblr and can confirm that this already happens.

Yeah but with tumblr that's pretty much a given anyways.

I just watched the Season 3 trailer, and I was a bit underwhelmed. I'm not really sure where they can take the show now. I don't know what I expected, either. Oh well, regardless I like the characters so there's always that for me to fall back on.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Those coronary vessels are totally unrealistic.

Speaking of, I picked up a couple more pork hearts and will be attempting another sous vide pig heart. I swear, the clotted blood is a bitch to dig outta the ventricles.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Stik3 posted:

Yeah but with tumblr that's pretty much a given anyways.

I just watched the Season 3 trailer, and I was a bit underwhelmed. I'm not really sure where they can take the show now. I don't know what I expected, either. Oh well, regardless I like the characters so there's always that for me to fall back on.

I'm assuming they're taking little tidbits from the Hannibal and Hannibal Rising novels at this point, which might be okay, Detective Puzzi would be a cool character to see in the tv series universe but i agree they aren't giving us much to go off of in the trailer. Still fingers crossed!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pazzi. :eng101: "Puzzi" means "stinks" (stink [n.], plural). "Pazzi" means "crazy people".

Only pointing this out because Harris likes to have etymological in-jokes.

E: Puzzi can also mean "you stink," but that's neither here nor there. Italian lesson for the day!

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 25, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stik3 posted:

They are about to get into the Red Dragon stuff which is what I've been waiting for the whole show. Have you not read any of the books?

The trailer doesn't really touch on any of that because I think the whole first half of the season is supposed to be the Hannibal on-the-run story.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 25, 2015

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Rabbit Hill posted:

Pazzi. :eng101: "Puzzi" means "stinks" (stink [n.], plural). "Pazzi" means "crazy people".

Only pointing this out because Harris likes to have etymological in-jokes.

:cry:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's okay, my friend. Non preoccuparti. :glomp:

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Basebf555 posted:

They are about to get into the Red Dragon stuff which is what I've been waiting for the whole show. Have you not read any of the books?

The trailer doesn't really touch on any of that because I think the whole first half of the season is supposed to be the Hannibal on-the-run story.

I haven't read any of the books, no. I'll check them out though, if anyone can vouch for them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Consensus seems to be Red Dragon good, Silence good, Hannibal hit and miss, Hannibal Rising avoid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stik3 posted:

I haven't read any of the books, no. I'll check them out though, if anyone can vouch for them.

Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs are both very good, very enjoyable books. Hannibal starts strong and then completely falls apart by the end, and Hannibal Rising is terrible.

In that sense, the movies are a pretty good reflection of the novels (Manhunter is the original movie adaptation of Red Dragon), a good start that becomes exceptional in the second movie, then things start to fall apart, then everything goes off a cliff and explodes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Of course, with Bryan Fuller and co. being the 'Thomas Harris mixup DJs' that they are, the fact that S3 uses Hannibal Rising and Hannibal material as a base doesn't mean it can't be a totally awesome reinterpretation that throws out the bad and keeps the good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's what has me most excited, the fact they're going to take these flawed stories and enhance all the really good parts of them while presumably dropping out the insane poo poo like Hannibal coming up with a mathematical formula to reverse entropy, or improve stuff like Clarice's ultimate fate (which I think they might kind of already be doing with Bedelia).

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty apparent at this point that Fuller & His Buddies deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Those coronary vessels are totally unrealistic.

Speaking of, I picked up a couple more pork hearts and will be attempting another sous vide pig heart. I swear, the clotted blood is a bitch to dig outta the ventricles.

If you soak the hearts in water for about an hour it should loosen the clotted blood.

Has Thomas Harris ever commented on the show? I know he's not a big fan of the production company since they forced him into writing Hannibal Rising but I think he would really enjoy the show.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

quote:

Do you have any idea what Thomas Harris thinks of the show?

‘Yes! I saw an email of his that said, “I love the show. Mads is difficult to understand sometimes.” That was his response!’

Pretty cool.

http://www.timeout.com/london/tv-reviews/bryan-fuller-interview-for-hannibal

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Consensus seems to be Red Dragon good, Silence good, Hannibal hit and miss, Hannibal Rising avoid.

I read the first 3 books recently and agree with this. As much as I like Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal, Mikkelsen was the guy I pictured while I read. He nailed the character perfectly. I'm even more excited for the new season now. The books were good and so were the movies but the show is able to reimagine the characters and timelines to make it so much better. Plus I like Will a lot better than Clarice. We'll see how that goes I guess.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If you soak the hearts in water for about an hour it should loosen the clotted blood.

Thing is I wanna sous vide them whole and cut em tableside to be extra freaky, and I can't have any hidden blood clots lingering in the chambers. Gave them a good soak and squeeze to clear as much of it out as I could, but who knows what's hiding in the depths. In any case I plan on brining the hearts to infuse some more flavor into 'em.

Also sliding your finger into that tight muscular chamber feels rather... risque.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 26, 2015

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

You can tell he doesn't enjoy writing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow, he turned down Thor 2 for Hannibal.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Thing is I wanna sous vide them whole and cut em tableside to be extra freaky, and I can't have any hidden blood clots lingering in the chambers. Gave them a good soak and squeeze to clear as much of it out as I could, but who knows what's hiding in the depths. In any case I plan on brining the hearts to infuse some more flavor into 'em.

Also sliding your finger into that tight muscular chamber feels rather... risque.

Well If the blood is clotted deep inside he ventricles maybe try submerging it in liquid and squeezing it, try and pump the gunk out. Also while squeezing it you should yell out " Kali Ma!"

Steve Yun posted:

Wow, he turned down Thor 2 for Hannibal.

He was probably up for Maliketh and saw that 95% of his lines in a space elf language and he would be under tons of make up, probably an easy call to make. I was shocked when I saw that it was Eccleston under all that goop.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He was probably up for Maliketh and saw that 95% of his lines in a space elf language and he would be under tons of make up, probably an easy call to make. I was shocked when I saw that it was Eccleston under all that goop.

Another plus here is that Mads wasn't wasted on Malekith and could play a different MCU character in the future. I'm sure there are plenty he could rock. Any ideas?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One of the things I'm most looking forward to is whatever Hannibal and Clarice's interactions will focus on. I have a hard time imagining that he'll still harp on her "cheap shoes" from the book.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Silence of the Lambs is like a perfect movie and as much as I love this show I'm really nervous about them tackling it. Ideally they would differ way, way from the movie, because even though it's a fantastic show it's safer to try and avoid being compared to the film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They still don't have the rights to Silence any way do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Nope.

• Locked thread