Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Well I guess they're not going to deduct my 10 months of TDY in 2014 from my IDW DNQ date, even though they sent me somewhere I can't get IDW because I'm the only sailor. I got a nice email explaining that when I get back on 8MAR, that I have until 1APR to get IDW or I'll get "Significant Problems" for an eval.

"You're our most technically diverse and highly qualified sailor in the division, I'm afraid you'll have to separate for it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Get qualled, scrub. If you're as proficient as you say it shouldn't take you any time at all. Any board should be a formality.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Analogical posted:

Well I guess they're not going to deduct my 10 months of TDY in 2014 from my IDW DNQ date, even though they sent me somewhere I can't get IDW because I'm the only sailor. I got a nice email explaining that when I get back on 8MAR, that I have until 1APR to get IDW or I'll get "Significant Problems" for an eval.

"You're our most technically diverse and highly qualified sailor in the division, I'm afraid you'll have to separate for it"

If your chain gave a poo poo about you/cared/etc. they should be able to get you additional time per instruction.

COMNAVCYBERFOR INSTRUCTION 1414.1 posted:

6.a. Significant Progress Towards. The term “SignificantProgress Towards” is self-explanatory and should be utilized only in those rare instances when the Sailor was not able to
meet the deadline due to extenuating circumstances such as severe personal hardship, illness or individual deployment. The Commanding Officer, with recommendation from the CMDCM/PM, may grant “Significant Progress Towards” status and it should be documented on a Page 13. Qualification should not be delayed due to an organization’s operational schedule.

I can't see why a 10 month TDY to a non-IDC area wouldn't qualify under individual deployment and allow you time.

Who am I kidding, you're probably screwed anyway since you seem to be crapping out on every roll of the Navy dice. Good luck!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Get qualled, scrub. If you're as proficient as you say it shouldn't take you any time at all. Any board should be a formality.

Forgot to add a :chiefsay: at the end of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nah this is just spitting the real. The IDW pin is a joke to get anyways.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah this is just spitting the real. The IDW pin is a joke to get anyways.

Is that the one that's the IE icon with wings or some dumb poo poo?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

But sir, how else will I bitch? I'm trying to get a NAM here :chiefsay:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Analogical posted:

College seems like forever away when I can barely get two classes done a semester. I see my estimated graduation date and I weep.

Analogical posted:

Guess which one of these objectives matters more once you EAOS.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
So they're talking 'bout opening a navy base/stationing ship(s) in Australia.
Don't they have trannies for Marines on liberty to murder so the locals rise up against a U.S. occupation?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Dingleberry posted:

Don't they have trannies for Assholes on liberty to murder so the locals rise up against a U.S. occupation?

Those tasty aboriginee ladyboys

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got a letter from a friend of mine in boot camp today. It's exactly as we all expected. Gonna get some stuff together and drop it in the mail monday for him.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Make sure you lace the dildo cookies with laxitives. I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but it's something I'd like to see.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm probably just going to send him some addressed stamped envelopes so it's easier for him to send things back. Poor sap got made yeoman.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Dingleberry posted:

Don't they have trannies for Marines on liberty to murder so the locals rise up against a U.S. occupation?

no we just wear out the whore houses and make em close for weeks after we've came through

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm probably just going to send him some addressed stamped envelopes so it's easier for him to send things back. Poor sap got made yeoman.

At least he's going to be in stellar shape when he's out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Analogical posted:

At least he's going to be in stellar shape when he's out.

The yeoman in my company at boot was a fat gently caress, he lost like 60 lbs. Then during sub/a-school he gained all of it back.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sucker. I did firearms. Kinda had to help the port watch get the watches up but otherwise no sweat.

Don't ever do laundry unless you don't mind catching scabies.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Laundry was probably getting poo poo on more than anyone else in my division and were the source of 100% of our compartment hits. I actually got pulled out of pistol training to get beat along with the laundry POs for our first compartment hit because it made my Chief lose a bet.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Hope the Navy got you something nice.

I was presented the gift of knowledge of some of my old friends. 3 separated after Mast, 4 getting out with their early outs, and 1 that's getting admin sep'd and is trying to fight it. One of the dudes that got kicked out for pot 3 years back got a job with a fire department in northern Cali after apparently hitchhiking with hippies for 3 years in Alaska fixing up camp spots and poo poo. His life has been one massive fun adventure since getting the boot.

18 hour watch has me reflecting on all this.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pandasmores posted:

Happy Valentine's Day!

Hope the Navy got you something nice.

I was presented the gift of knowledge of some of my old friends. 3 separated after Mast, 4 getting out with their early outs, and 1 that's getting admin sep'd and is trying to fight it. One of the dudes that got kicked out for pot 3 years back got a job with a fire department in northern Cali after apparently hitchhiking with hippies for 3 years in Alaska fixing up camp spots and poo poo. His life has been one massive fun adventure since getting the boot.

18 hour watch has me reflecting on all this.

I know you think you're too smart for this poo poo, but you're possibly the most naive individual in GiP.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Boon posted:

I know you think you're too smart for this poo poo, but you're possibly the most naive individual in GiP.

gently caress this, show those squares who's boss. go hitch across alaska and just like, live off the land, man. what an adventure that would be

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Boon posted:

Every enlisted person in the military thinks they're too smart for it. Its very rarely true.

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress this, show those squares who's boss. go hitch across alaska and just like, live off the land, man. what an adventure that would be

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Every enlisted person in the military thinks they're too smart for it. Its very rarely true.

You mean their division ISN'T going to fall apart once they leave?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

SpaceJustice posted:

You mean their division ISN'T going to fall apart once they leave?

Lol. Fuckers who were "all stars" but never trained others or improved the organization are just as worthless as the dirt bags. If you're that selfish why join to serve. Go make your mark on wall street or sales or some poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do my job? No sorry I have a bake sale to attend then I'm volunteering so I can't stand watch this weekend. I'm also going to school and have a test so I can't work past 5 I already cleared it with our department head.

Like its amazing how many dudes are "hot poo poo" on paper and get good evals but don't even know their own job and somehow go years avoiding doing anything related to their actual job by volunteering for every command thing ever.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Send me a message on Lync on Tuesday.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Do my job? No sorry I have a bake sale to attend then I'm volunteering so I can't stand watch this weekend. I'm also going to school and have a test so I can't work past 5 I already cleared it with our department head.

Like its amazing how many dudes are "hot poo poo" on paper and get good evals but don't even know their own job and somehow go years avoiding doing anything related to their actual job by volunteering for every command thing ever.

I remember hearing about a time in the Navy when collaterals were for useless folks who had been banished from their department and needed something to put on their eval . Nowadays collaterals are like chest candy- I heard they're gonna be giving you points on advancement for them too.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Don't we get points for collateral duties already? I think the best it does for most people is just get them face time with the Chiefs that also don't like work. i.e. the Chiefs that are in control of most things.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

For E4-E6 sure, but based on every chief package training I've ever sat through (formal and informal) having more than one collateral is normally seen as a negative because how can you be leading sailors and doing your job as a collateral whore?

It's really hilarious because everything everyone tells junior enlisted about how to get good evals is essentially the opposite of what the board looks at.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 16, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

PneumonicBook posted:

For E4-E6 sure, but based on every chief package training I've ever sat through (formal and informal) having more than one collateral is normally seen as a negative because how can you be leading sailors and doing your job as a collateral whore?

It's really hilarious because everything everyone tells junior enlisted about how to get good evals is essentially the opposite of what the board looks at.

Lol this is the complete opposite of what I saw. You needed several command level collaterals to show leadership potential, department level collaterals to show you could be a departmental figurehead, and divisional poo poo to demonstrate a personal touch. Add in your LPO position (in which your work center supervisor did all the work) and general dick sucking you can spend way more time being an rear end in a top hat do nothing and make chief.

Even better if it's "your turn" and despite all the evidence to the contrary of you being a piece of poo poo who deserves to get separated for high year tenure that you get all the good eval bullet points because you need that 4.0 over people who actually deserve it.

Civilian life has its own bullshit to deal with but I'll take corporate culture over chief boards and the culture around it any day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Lol this is the complete opposite of what I saw. You needed several command level collaterals to show leadership potential, department level collaterals to show you could be a departmental figurehead, and divisional poo poo to demonstrate a personal touch. Add in your LPO position (in which your work center supervisor did all the work) and general dick sucking you can spend way more time being an rear end in a top hat do nothing and make chief.

Even better if it's "your turn" and despite all the evidence to the contrary of you being a piece of poo poo who deserves to get separated for high year tenure that you get all the good eval bullet points because you need that 4.0 over people who actually deserve it.

Civilian life has its own bullshit to deal with but I'll take corporate culture over chief boards and the culture around it any day.

Chief boards change their story every drat cycle.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Howard Phillips posted:

Lol. Fuckers who were "all stars" but never trained others or improved the organization are just as worthless as the dirt bags. If you're that selfish why join to serve. Go make your mark on wall street or sales or some poo poo.

On the other hand, I once cross-trained everyone to do my job 5 months before PCS and they sent me TAD to Supply for 3 months because now they didn't need me.
As soon as I returned it was time for checkout.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

germskr posted:

I remember hearing about a time in the Navy when collaterals were for useless folks

When things were still popping that's what Army IAs were for. The command would sugar coat the gently caress out of it and maybe throw them a NAM when they got back but it was really to just have said person be someone else's problem for 6-12 months

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

PneumonicBook posted:

A buddy of mine showed me an older instruction and collateral duties was the last bullet point for consideration to make Chief. However those bullets aren't listed in precedence of importance I guess.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

When things were still popping that's what Army IAs were for. The command would sugar coat the gently caress out of it and maybe throw them a NAM when they got back but it was really to just have said person be someone else's problem for 6-12 months

I tried to do an IA but I guess I was too valuable a person to let go?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just checked in and one of the first things mentioned was how I should pick up collaterals to make myself stand out. Nothing about training and getting certified for the job I've never done before in a rate I just crossed into.

Lol. Never change navy.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

I was just thinking how lucky they were in some cases and how the range of what you're told in the military isn't always true. If anything, I just view my time in as getting the job done regardless of what someone else says and making it easier for the next guy that takes my place with a new SOP that explains everything in depth without them having to run into as many walls as I did learning everything.

Board chat
Seems that every board depends independently of whoever is running it and not what people widely believe things are to be run, gasp! You need to charge hard and dance to the tune. :chiefsay:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Chief boards change their story every drat cycle.

Maybe. The training was by three matter chiefs that are sitting or have sat the board.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I remember inheriting pubs from one of the guys in my division, and it was basically a 4-foot locker packed with revisions that were never added to any of the manuals.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Board chat
Seems that every board depends independently of whoever is running it and not what people widely believe things are to be run, gasp! You need to charge hard and dance to the tune. :chiefsay:

Panda aren't you an HMSN? Or HM3?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Chief (and E-8/E-9) boards are poo poo shows that are governed by a mix of promotion requirements from PERS and board precepts from MCPON based on what he wants "his mess" to look like at any given time. It literally changes from year to year and especially from MCPON to MCPON.

About the only consistent advice that can be given is, "EPs are good". Anyone who purports to have the "gouge" on CPO boards is either an idiot or lying.

I had a sit down with a Force Master Chief a few weeks ago with some other PCO's and we spent quite a while bitching about it to him because it makes writing evals for them a pain in the rear end. He just shrugged and said, "we're trying to get better."

I stick with advice I gave a few threads back. The best way to break out is to do high quality, in rate, work and make sure your primary ranker knows it. The idea that you need 100 collaterals is a myth perpetuated by people who have never been involved in the eval process.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

Panda aren't you an HMSN? Or HM3?

SN, with everyone ending up in my clinic usually bitching about how they missed a board and explaining what theyre told versus what made it high up. I piece my image of what happens higher up at the other commands based on how some of the Chiefs and first classes that go through the ranking boards, ship and shore.

MML, thats what I love about one of the dudes I met this past week. Got to talking about evals and he told me about how when he was a part of ranking the E4 evals he would shoot down people with loads of volunteer and collateral stuff because more often than not they failed at jobs/duties that mattered.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 16, 2015

• Locked thread