Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Derek Dominoe posted:

The leaders Europe needs

The leaders it deserves

:sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
ole chuckie the hammer is spinning in his grave like a centrifuge at this point

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Derek Dominoe posted:

The leaders Europe needs

The leaders it deserves

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nailed it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tepes 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If only.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I saw that you mother fucker.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
lol

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

poo poo

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
So many people posting 300 memes in response to the Al Asad attack

Will people ever realize that thermopylae was a loss and that all the spartans died

Answer: abs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They also had tens of thousands of warriors from other cities.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

They also had tens of thousands of warriors from other cities.

When people talk about the '300', they're referring to the men who stayed behind after the main body retreated. While they did not number 300, they were still significantly outnumbered.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They also don't mention Sparta being a city of beligerent assholes who hosed with all the other Greek city-states on the reg. It's weird to put that in a modern context, it would be like if Connecticut invaded Rhode Island.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fister Roboto posted:

They also don't mention Sparta being a city of beligerent assholes who hosed with all the other Greek city-states on the reg. It's weird to put that in a modern context, it would be like if Connecticut invaded Rhode Island.

good

gently caress rhode island

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Being a bunch of assholes isn't that big a deal to me. Sparta sucked because it never really progressed as a civilization and pretty much looked like any other lovely village, and boy or girl it was pretty much open season on your butthole once you hit your teens. Being a spartan would suck, but they definitely whooped some Persian rear end since those retards rolled up with wicker shields and poo poo.

(It's been a while since I read about the Persian war, I might be off)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress rhode island

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Slim Pickens posted:

Being a bunch of assholes isn't that big a deal to me. Sparta sucked because it never really progressed as a civilization and pretty much looked like any other lovely village, and boy or girl it was pretty much open season on your butthole once you hit your teens. Being a spartan would suck, but they definitely whooped some Persian rear end since those retards rolled up with wicker shields and poo poo.

(It's been a while since I read about the Persian war, I might be off)

don't talk poo poo about wicker shields, sonny boy

take a machete and try to chop through a wicker patio chair, see how it goes

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Admiral Bosch posted:

don't talk poo poo about wicker shields, sonny boy

take a machete and try to chop through a wicker patio chair, see how it goes

:stare:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sparta also ended the Golden Age of Classical Greece though the Peloponnesian War.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The Spartans also showed up to Thermopylae out of embarrassment from sitting out Marathon and letting the faggy Athenians kick the poo poo out of the Persians.
Not to mention that the Athenians again made the real difference in the war by winning at Salamis.

vains
May 26, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Sparta also ended the Golden Age of Classical Greece though the Peloponnesian War.

Oh god the humanity

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

When people talk about the '300', they're referring to the men who stayed behind after the main body retreated. While they did not number 300, they were still significantly outnumbered.

No, most of them aren't. They saw the movie.

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

No, most of them aren't. They saw the movie.

Well thank god we have mr non-phd track history masters to tell us whats true.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:nallears:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sparta was the ISIL of the city states

vains
May 26, 2004

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Sparta was the ISIL of the city states

all of the greeks enjoyed sodomy. its still the national sport

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

To think Greece is where the rest of western civilization sprung from. Nowadays they're a bunch of worthless, loafing, Nazi electing, tax cheats, who can't get a loan.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Casimir Radon posted:

To think Greece is where the rest of western civilization sprung from. Nowadays they're a bunch of worthless, loafing, Nazi electing, tax cheats, who can't get a loan.

Italians and Greeks were Star co-captains of the football team in high school but they peaked early.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Italians and Greeks were Star co-captains of the football team in high school but they peaked early.
There was some GBS thread a few years ago about austerity riots. Some Greek guy got really pissed at me for saying that they treated cheating on their taxes like a game. He was all like you don't live here, you don't understand, now if you don't mind I'm off to throw some petrol bombs.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Really makes u think...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Good, the only way the fall of Greece could have been better is if the Perisans crushed them in the first place. Ironically Persia basically bankrolled the Spartans during the Peloponnesian War because Sparta's economy barely existed.

Fister Roboto posted:

And they weren't even good at it. They were only capable of fighting brief defensive wars and succeeded in conquering like 1 neighbor who was somehow even shittier than they were. The rest of the time they lived in a state of perpetual fear that their helots were going to rise up any goddamn second.

I have no loving idea why anyone lionizes Sparta

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because the 5-second description sounds badass and that's pretty much all people want. A warrior culture where men were trained basically from birth to be among the most hardcore soldiers in the world? Sounds loving cool. Its when you read a little more that it falls apart and you realize how hosed up Sparta was.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why aren't these same people obsessed with Macedonians, Thracians or Illyrians? There were a lot of ancient people with better track records than Sparta.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
but did you see gerhard butler's loving abs

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

None of the others serve as an outlet for repressed homosexual yearnings the way those chiseled spartan abs do.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

None of the others serve as an outlet for repressed homosexual yearnings the way those chiseled spartan abs do.

subconscious attempt to tie their closeted homosexuality to WARRIOR CULTURE

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

bitcoin bastard posted:

subconscious attempt to tie their closeted homosexuality to WARRIOR CULTURE

So is that a marine or any army joke.

it's a navy joke nyuk nyuk nyuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007