Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RedTonic posted:

Got a softcover Perdido Street Station to start this weekend. I've been told I'll either really dig it or really hate Mieville's style.

I work upstairs from a bookstore so it's hard to not go down and buy everything.

If you're fan of reading RPG source books, you'll enjoy Perdido . Mieville was a big fan of those in his youth, and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Just bought Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser.

Came highly recommended and the series looks pretty fun. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, so there is that too.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I just started reading the first book in the Dresden Files. The writing is not very good and reading that the first three novels have similar writing is incredibly discouraging. I could be reading three well-written books instead! Still, I bought it and kinda like the premise so I'll stick with it a little longer.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I just bought and started Golden Son and drat, it's already awesome.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started the Sword Art Online light novel. My first light novel, so I hope it's gentle.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
After about ten years since I last read one I decided to pick up a Chuck Palahniuk novel. I chose Rant.

I'm about two chapters in and a ten year old boy is walking around sniffing used condoms and going "Yeah that smells like my priests dick."

:ughh:

Is it even worth persevering?

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Eau de MacGowan posted:

After about ten years since I last read one I decided to pick up a Chuck Palahniuk novel. I chose Rant.

I'm about two chapters in and a ten year old boy is walking around sniffing used condoms and going "Yeah that smells like my priests dick."

:ughh:

Is it even worth persevering?

He's an authorial one-trick pony. The closest book to literature he's written is likely Invisible Monsters, the rest is shock-junk. Put it down and read some Irvine Welsh of you need that kind of thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bingo. Dude made a career out of being "that guy" who's always going to have some super shocking gross out thing like when we were kids on the playground.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I got a bunch of stuff today:

The Man Without Qualities, from a friend who is moving away so now I can finally read part 3 and the posthumous stuff suck it asian librarian
Dancing Arabs, from same friend
The Honorable Company, was recced it forever ago by history thread
First half of The Book of the New Sun, lyle recced it when i asked for good fantasy and i trust him
What is History by edward carr
an illustrated dictionary about mayan and ancient mexican gods and stuff it was $.25 and its sweet as hell

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I picked up The Martian because of all the hype behind it, and because it's going to be a movie at the end of the year. I'm about a hundred pages in, and it's living up to all the critical love. It's like the purest distillation of "exciting page-turner" ever.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

I got a bunch of stuff today:

The Man Without Qualities, from a friend who is moving away so now I can finally read part 3 and the posthumous stuff suck it asian librarian
Dancing Arabs, from same friend
The Honorable Company, was recced it forever ago by history thread
First half of The Book of the New Sun, lyle recced it when i asked for good fantasy and i trust him
What is History by edward carr
an illustrated dictionary about mayan and ancient mexican gods and stuff it was $.25 and its sweet as hell

I'm very jealous of your pic of Thomas "Ruggles" Pynchon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I picked up The Martian because of all the hype behind it, and because it's going to be a movie at the end of the year. I'm about a hundred pages in, and it's living up to all the critical love. It's like the purest distillation of "exciting page-turner" ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I have my doubts about the movie.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I read this over an evening and found it...underwhelming. I completely get its appeal, and enjoyed the Robinson Carusoe-esque elements of problem solving and survival. It just didn't do it for me.
On the other hand, I think it'll make a great movie because there's not a whole lot of nuance to capture.

Bought Norwegian Wood today, my first Murakami. I've been putting off reading him for a while, but am looking forward to spending my long weekend with it.

FUMF
Mar 31, 2014

Picked up Paradise Lost by John Milton from my local library earlier today. Although I've always found the story very interesting (especially due to the way Milton decided to deliver it in), I've never had the time nor the will to actually sit down with it for a longer period of time. However, now that I have both in quite some abundance, it'll be fun to see whether or not my prejudices will be confirmed or not.

FUMF fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 16, 2015

FiscalTortoise
Mar 10, 2013
I just started reading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. I suppose this is technically a reread, but the last time I had read it I just glazed over it (I was reading it on my kindle to just pass the time and was not reading closely at all). Manifestations of race in literature has always fascinated me, and this book has always been recommended to me as a canonical text that explores this issue.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
After numerous goon recommendations, I picked up City of Stairs. It's different, but intriguing so far. For some reason, though, it refuses to sync up properly on my Kindle Fire. It always choose the next-to-last bookmark which forces me to keep a post-it note with the last location on it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 20, 2015

what the christ
Mar 20, 2003

two little rikers

Mister Kingdom posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I have my doubts about the movie.

I don't think Matt Damon is the right choice at all. I know he can be funny but I don't know if he can capture the same type of humor as in the book.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I've begun working my way through Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. So far so good. I don't really know the goon consensus about him, but I dig his stuff. I've read a couple of his already (Ysabel - his YA novel - and Tigana) and I really, thoroughly enjoyed them Kay seems obsessed with the idea of memory and knowledge in all the stories I've read so far - which makes sense since he's ripping from history - and this one is turning out to be similar. I like that aspect of his writing, so I'm looking forward to seeing this adventure to the end.

I've also picked up Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley, his first post-Scott Pilgrim output. I really, really, really liked Scott Pilgrim but I feel like if I re-read it, I'd be annoyed by it. This story seems a little less adorkable and reference-filled and more grownup. It'll probably take less than a day to get through.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Doktor Faustus by Thomas Mann.

FUMF
Mar 31, 2014

Started ever so slightly on goon-recommended Hunger by Knut Hamsun.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

ulvir posted:

Doktor Faustus by Thomas Mann.

Hevo posted:

Started ever so slightly on goon-recommended Hunger by Knut Hamsun.

Both are so good. Enjoy.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Just started I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp by Richard Hell, one of the original punks. Always been interested in the early punk movement and I've been meaning to pick up one of the autobios from the people who shaped that era of music. I'm only a few chapters in so far and I like the casual tone of it. It feels like an interview minus the questions.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Picked up this for $30 and my local used bookstore

Had no idea who this was until I checked out. I just liked the prologue! Just another reason I love my store. Find poo poo like this all the time.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Axel Serenity posted:

Picked up this for $30 and my local used bookstore

Had no idea who this was until I checked out. I just liked the prologue! Just another reason I love my store. Find poo poo like this all the time.

I couldn't get through it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I was just at my local bookstore (Bullmoose, I live in northern New England) and I saw the new Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles book on display Prince Lestat which I was surprised to see, as I'd forgotten she had abandoned her brief period of gung-ho Christianity and gone back to the dark side. I know that she's cheesy and awful, but I always had a soft spot for the first three novels in the Vampire Chronicles (Interview, Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned) and also really enjoyed another book she wrote in the series, Memnoch the Devil, which I felt was a really fascinating and wonderful comment on western religion and spirituality. So it was very disappointing to me that she very rapidly deteriorated as a writer after that.

So I wasn't going to buy it because I assumed it would be loving awful, like the last several Vampire Chronicles books she wrote. Then I saw that amongst the copies on display for $18, there was a *signed* copy amongst them that was being sold for the same amount. And I thought, well, OK. I will look on amazon and if this book got 4 stars or more I'll buy this signed first edition (it was the only one left) and give it a chance. And lo and behold, it was at just above 4 stars, which is honestly pretty shocking for a recent Anne Rice book. Apparently it contains a lot of the great older characters from Queen of the Damned that she just abandoned, so I was really happy to pick it up. I've barely started and it's pretty drat good so far, and totally accessible it seems to someone like me who hasn't really finished or enjoyed a VC novel since Memnoch and missed all the crossover stuff with Lestat and the witches. I'm hoping she brings the homoerotica. It's funny that I'm fine reading Anne Rice books but I'd still never touch Stephanie Meyer on principle. Anyway.

I am now the proud owner of a signed first edition Anne Rice novel with "Lestat" in the title. Yes, she's batshit insane, but for $18 isn't that a decent bargain?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

Andrei Rublev is soooo sick

I did not like Book of the New Sun, apologies to Lyle.

I just bought Fires on the Plain by Ooka, I'm gonna read it after reading The Loser by T. Bernhard.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I found out about China Mieville from lurking these forums back in the day and hearing about how neato his books can be. I tried starting Perdido Street Station but I couldn't find the time to get through it while finishing school, etc. Now that I have a lot more free time, I started The City & The City and I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's got the same problem I found with Perdido, which is that the beginning is molasses-slow. I'm getting through it, though. It's decent so far and the concept is definitely super-unique and interesting. I like the spooky idea that there's some unseen, always watching, everyone-in-town-is-scared-of-it force deep in the background who have a lot of policing power and I hope it becomes a way bigger deal by the end of the story.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hevo posted:

Picked up Paradise Lost by John Milton from my local library earlier today. Although I've always found the story very interesting (especially due to the way Milton decided to deliver it in), I've never had the time nor the will to actually sit down with it for a longer period of time. However, now that I have both in quite some abundance, it'll be fun to see whether or not my prejudices will be confirmed or not.

"Paradise Lost is one of the books which the reader admires and puts down, and forgets to take up again. None ever wished it longer than it is.""

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

About 5-ish chapters in Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself
So far I'm really enjoying it. Not really feeling the young nobleman captain main character yet but the other two are very intriguing.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I just bought Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe and its really really good.

I kept passing it up as generic sci-fi trash for years due to the cover art.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Four new books are en route to me:

Ubik and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K Dick.

Travels in Hyperreality by Umberto Eco

A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 by Alistair Horne ... This has been on my list to read forever, and a good friend just finished it and strongly recommended it.

Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Hello little children your uncle is here.
Today i got a few books I've been looking forward to.

I got the first book from the Dune series by Herbert, Gai-Jin by James Clavell, Grass Beyond the Mountain by Hobsell, EVIL by Morrow, and Legacy by Susan Kay.

I'm not sure which I will start first but I am definitely looking forward to all of them.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Demicol posted:

About 5-ish chapters in Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself
So far I'm really enjoying it. Not really feeling the young nobleman captain main character yet but the other two are very intriguing.

If you stick with it, he has a pretty awesome character 'arc'. If something feels like it's a cliche in a Joe Abercrombie book, know that he knows it too and he's going to do something surprising (and probably horrifying) with it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Silvergun1000 posted:

If you stick with it, he has a pretty awesome character 'arc'. If something feels like it's a cliche in a Joe Abercrombie book, know that he knows it too and he's going to do something surprising (and probably horrifying) with it.

Alternately, if you stick with you will discover an absurdly huge plot hole and get tired of what is actually fairly poor writing. Sand is a pretty interesting character, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

A good haul from the local second-hand shop. I reckon a harsh winter killed a couple of lit-fans. There are currently 3 separate copies of The Magus if anyone wants them. I'm pretty excited for The Conformist, had no idea that was originally a book. And I picked up Libra because, though I'm not a big fan of Delillo, I am a big fan of the assassination of JFK. There's also an advanced copy of a book I've never heard of by a person I've never heard of, which looks to be all about sex and Christ. Speaking of, it didn't come across in the photo but the priest on that cover of that Updike has a head made out of naked women.
This post is dedicated to Christopher Cumo and Michael Apted.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

IS that a Werner Herzog biogrtaphy????

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Currently reading The Furnace by Timothy S. Johnston. In just a few pages in but already it's a page-turner. Space survival horror seems to be In this year.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Stanislaw Lem's Solaris should be here today. On a scifi kick and want to delve further into S Lem and V Pelevin.

I managed to only buy 15 books in 2014, and I've already surpassed that this year. My next move is going to be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Getting into Greg Bear's The Forge of God. So far it's good, but it's funny reading sci-fi with out-dated tech.

• Locked thread