Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FirstAidKite posted:

D'arby Jr & Sr

Aren't they brothers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's just a shorthand people use to differentiate them. It doesn't really work, but it's better than whatever the hell they're actual names are. ASB used D'Arby The Elder and D'Arby The Younger.

FirstAidKite posted:

An acquaintance was reading through stardust crusaders and found himself really enjoying it until D'arby the Gamer because it was just a fight through playing video games. I liked the D'arby fights but I can see why someone expecting more brutal physical action would see mindgame fights as bland, especially since the person in question likes battle tendency way more which was definitely more physical in its fights compared to stuff like D'arby Jr & Sr

I was kinda tired of Gamer near the end and it was the longest chapter so far and then the tactic was just "Joseph cheated."? It was a bit eh for me, but the "Are you going to beat me with both hands?" " Y E S Y E S Y E S " redeems it. Gambler was shorter and so the trick being Jotaro just bluffing the entire time had more payoff for me.

I did realize that I am excited for every fight in Egypt and man...I'm so glad we're getting JoJo animated.

vvv I feel they could've had Hierophant Green's tentacles replace Joseph's Purple Hermit there and it could've worked the same? Gamer had some weird mind reading thing so maybe not

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 13, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm more annoyed that Kakyoin was gonna be good at video games and still lost his soul, making Jotaro take the credit again.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Joseph gets the credit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Aren't they brothers?
vvv I feel they could've had Hierophant Green's tentacles replace Joseph's Purple Hermit there and it could've worked the same? Gamer had some weird mind reading thing so maybe not
[/quote]

Did they even figure out what his stand power did during Kakyoin's bit? Kakyoin would've had no reason to cheat like that since they for all intents and purposes thought it was the same kind of stand as Barbie.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Did they even figure out what his stand power did during Kakyoin's bit? Kakyoin would've had no reason to cheat like that since they for all intents and purposes thought it was the same kind of stand as Barbie.

They coulda done a bit where Kakyoin loses at Not F-Zero and then he gets a redo because D'Arby saw how good he was at it and then Kakyoin cheats cause D'Arby is really good at video games.

Or he could've just used Hierophant Green to posses D'Arby and make him lose instantly, but then we'd never get Star Platinum playing baseball.

e: im bad at quoting

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Moltrey posted:

That's just a shorthand people use to differentiate them. It doesn't really work, but it's better than whatever the hell they're actual names are. ASB used D'Arby The Elder and D'Arby The Younger.

I was kinda tired of Gamer near the end and it was the longest chapter so far and then the tactic was just "Joseph cheated."?

Joseph didn't cheat. Or rather he did in the sense that he played the game at all. D'arby was reading Jotaro's mind, which doesn't really help you beat Joseph in a game.

FirstAidKite posted:

They did not. They work it out during the baseball game and Jotaro tests his hypothesis by throwing a completely terrible pitch that D'arby hits perfectly, confirming that he can read thoughts.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

They coulda done a bit where Kakyoin loses at Not F-Zero and then he gets a redo because D'Arby saw how good he was at it and then Kakyoin cheats cause D'Arby is really good at video games.

I don't think D'Arby cared about being honorable and giving a fair shot in that fight :P

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Moltrey posted:

You mean Daniel J D'arby and Terrence T D'arby?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think D'Arby cared about being honorable and giving a fair shot in that fight :P

Yeah, this idea is a bit contrived, but it's just lame Kakyoin gets turned into a doll his first fight back. It's like if Fugo changed his mind at the end of Part 5 only to get chumped by Green Day and then gets chest burst by Diavolo

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I still never bought that he never actually looked down at Jotaro's hands that entire time they played.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Terence T. D'Arby may be a lot of things, but a dirty screenlooker isn't one of them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought it was pretty neat that Jotaro beat the older D'arby only by technicality while Joseph beat the younger one legitimately.

Probably some meta commentary on the older generation being trickier than the younger one or something.

Araki would know, being a Dracula and all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I always liked how Terence says, "My brother can only beat beat idiots and old people," then the panel cuts to Joseph and Polnareff looking concerned.

Then after beating him Jotaro remarks that his brother would've caught on to their shenanigans immediately.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

one more week

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish Joseph had a Stand like Mariah's. I'm pretty sure he could come up with some really neat uses for Bast.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Bast is a good Stand to ease people into the crazy Stands of later Parts. Applying magnetism is a hit or miss power, so Mariah has to weaponize herself around her Stand ability to fight better. She does so by pouring scrap metal into her bra. It's a lot like Jumping Jack Flash from Part 6 where the user makes a thing that fires metal so he can actually fight in the zero gravity field he creates.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tlarn posted:

I'm just glad Avdol didn't flip over when he got magnetised and got close to Joseph. Would've been hella awkward.

Oh, anime thread. :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ahem Ahem

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's still four weeks before the best SC Stand User shows up. :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hol Horse shows up in three weeks

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hol Horse is good.

But he's not that GOOD.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Man that SBR ending...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That second Diego was a pain in the neck.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My friend made me this valentine card like a year ago when I was reading Part 4 for the first time and I figured I'd share it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That second Diego was a pain in the neck.

He was a pretty huge kick in the dick. Lucy Steel being a badass and saving the day was awesome but not sure how I feel about Johnny just getting owned and not winning the race, but I guess he ~won~ because he gets to walk again even though he lost his awesome best friend.

I just want Daniel Day Lewis to say "I took your NAPKIN"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moltrey posted:

My friend made me this valentine card like a year ago when I was reading Part 4 for the first time and I figured I'd share it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Quick, someone make a Valentine's Day version of that "break your face" scene. :allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They also made a valentine for another friend using the Mona Lisa Boner line.

Someone please make one using Funny Valentine, I have somehow not seen one today.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurain posted:

Oh, anime thread. :allears:

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I hope Joseph and Avdol smooch next week because their bodies get pulled together by the magnetism

:mmmhmm:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

JoJolion Here's a naked guy with 4 balls FANTASTIC

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just wait until you find out why he's like that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJonium Volume 1 comes out physically next week. I wanna buy that to have Physical JoJos, but I'm scared it'll start a landslide to Buy All JoJos.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good thing it's impossible to buy all the JoJo's in English. I think all that is available is part three and those jojonium volumes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Part 3 is pretty affordable to be fair. You can get a volume for like £5 via Book Depository on Amazon UK.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Moltrey posted:

JoJonium Volume 1 comes out physically next week. I wanna buy that to have Physical JoJos, but I'm scared it'll start a landslide to Buy All JoJos.

I'm planning to buy all the JoJonium as they release. I have a sub at my comic book shop for them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

cmykjester posted:

Good thing it's impossible to buy all the JoJo's in English. I think all that is available is part three and those jojonium volumes.
With Viz now the merchandise holder and Part 4 anime possibly on the horizon, it's not impossible we might get like Part 4 in English like five years down the line. From there, who knows. Granted I don't know much about this, so I could just be lying and deluded.

KidDynamite posted:

I'm planning to buy all the JoJonium as they release. I have a sub at my comic book shop for them.
I'll probably do that too. I wasn't aware of the three month gap between each JoJonium so that's kinda lame. I might start buying Part 3 mangas, but then I'll probably want to buy JoJonium Part 3 if we get that

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Moltrey posted:

I bought all the Jojos, do it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'll just wait for JoJonium releases. They're nice hardcover and it will give me something to collect over time.

JoJolion is pretty loving different. drat this is out there. Araki is a genius.

Edit: FOUR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

JoJolion is absolutely fantastic and Gappy is really cool. Waiting for new chapters every month is agony.

• Locked thread