Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Apparently I'm out of plump helmet spawn. If I set the kitchen to make meals on repeat, will they use seeds to cook with? I have a sneaking suspicion that the chef used them all, because my food supply has been pretty steady overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Let your dwarves distill or chomp them raw to retain the spawn. Only cooking the 'shrooms destroys the seeds. Use this to control your ballooning grain stocks in the future.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hit Z, then scroll over to Kitchen, and you can set what gets used for brewing and cooking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Though seeds are disabled on default. Keep in mind that while brewing or milling a plant returns seeds, cooking doesn't. Your cooks probably used up your harvest on stews, yielding you no seeds. I would recommend allowing plump helmets only for brewing for first few seasons, just so you build up a healthy store of seeds.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alright, I see now. Checking the kitchen menu I see that seeds default to off for cooking permissions, so it was me cooking the plump helmets and destroying the seeds that emptied the stocks. I've set it so that plump helmets are only brewable so I can maintain a steady seed supply.
Now I just need to make it to the next caravan so I can resupply and hopefully diversify my food production so something like this doesn't cripple my fort.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, not necessarily better, just different. I dislike the way a lot of tilesets look.

:colbert:

:buddy: :buddy: :buddy:

Link

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you sure showed me

still playing with ASCII

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've played enough roguelikes to enjoy ASCII, but being able to identify specific dwarves at a glance and all the jobs having unique sprites is just too nice to pass up, plus it looks a lot nicer in my opinion.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Unless you're rolling at least 20x20 pixel tiles on a full screen, any sort of spritework is going to be a smudge that you have to squint at for 15 seconds to tell what exactly it is.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

Unless you're rolling at least 20x20 pixel tiles on a full screen, any sort of spritework is going to be a smudge that you have to squint at for 15 seconds to tell what exactly it is.

It's a good thing that dwarf fortress, or at least dfhack and twbt, allows you to scroll in and out as necessary using the mouse wheel. I've never had a problem with what you're talking about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

scamtank posted:

All tilesets I've ever tried were perfectly crisp and easy to understand. My go-to one is Mayday, which is 16×16, but even 12×12 sprites are perfectly fine. And I'm using a notebook with unusually high resolution for its screen dimensions.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

I love it when my DF looks like I've left it out in the sun for a week.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

packetmantis posted:

I love it when my DF looks like I've left it out in the sun for a week.

The high contrast is really nice though, sometimes it can be tough to pinpoint the location of that one drat giant cockatiel in your furniture stockpile since it's the same exact contrast as everything else. You end up having to press "v" and scroll around until you see something blinking. A tileset that provides easy identification of living creatures and important features could be pretty good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Prop Wash posted:

The high contrast is really nice though, sometimes it can be tough to pinpoint the location of that one drat giant cockatiel in your furniture stockpile since it's the same exact contrast as everything else. You end up having to press "v" and scroll around until you see something blinking. A tileset that provides easy identification of living creatures and important features could be pretty good.

Going to the units screen is usually a lot faster.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hihohe posted:

NeoGeo are you using the lazy newb pack? You can make the game look a lot better with the tilesets it gives you
.personally the Phoebus tileset is my favorite.

I'm currently using Spacefox, which is what Captain Duck used in his tutorial videos. I figure that way I can't get confused looking at things, thinking "what the hell did he say to click?" It's nice, and I might stick with it, but I'll definitely try others out once I start my first actual fortress.

EDIT: Lemme make sure I have this right, by the way. With the LNP, when I get new migrants, they automatically get assigned labors and a title based on some magical programming fuckery that's based on their native skills and preferences? Because that seems to be what has happened with my first migrant wave, and I just wanna make sure that I've got that straight.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 15, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, though I believe that's an ini feature that's in the base game as well. Basically whatever they have any skill at all with, they have that labor assigned.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there any way to prioritize certain orders over others? All my dwarves are currently hauling the freshly mined stone out of my caves instead of building the kitchen, still, tables, chairs, and other crap I need to keep them alive. I know I can turn off hauling, but frankly I'd just love it if they gave that job low priority somehow.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there any way to prioritize certain orders over others? All my dwarves are currently hauling the freshly mined stone out of my caves instead of building the kitchen, still, tables, chairs, and other crap I need to keep them alive. I know I can turn off hauling, but frankly I'd just love it if they gave that job low priority somehow.

There is not. Disable most hauling on important people! I immediately disable all hauling on my miners so they can get to work, and after my first migrant wave I usually have my cook/brewer/farmer only set to haul food and burial/refuse. The two that takes up the most hauling time is Stone and Wood though (stone moreso, due to wait and shear quantity of the stones).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

There is a recently added "loving TWATS DO THIS NOW !" button, but that only applies to workshop jobs. You can't plonk that yellow exclamation mark on construction, unfortunately. You can quickly "shut off" stockpiles with the Take from Anywhere/Links Only toggle so your builders can get on with things.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jesus Christ, trying to organize who sleeps in which quarters is a loving nightmare when one half of your fort is married to the other.
I think I've finally more or less managed to get the workshop workers at the workshop quarters, the farmers and cooks at the food production quarters, and the fishermen at the fishing quarters near the river.

I'm surprised at how well this fort is going, I'm sure that will change very soon.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Jesus Christ, trying to organize who sleeps in which quarters is a loving nightmare when one half of your fort is married to the other.
I think I've finally more or less managed to get the workshop workers at the workshop quarters, the farmers and cooks at the food production quarters, and the fishermen at the fishing quarters near the river.

Just reading this makes me want to eat a bullet. Personally, I just can't bring myself to apply this level of planning and micromanagement. Everyone sleeps in the sprawling housing complex on the residential level and if they don't like it they can sleep in the dorms or on the loving floor for all I care. My usual solution to inefficiencies and slow production is to throw more dwarves at the problem. Dwarves are cheap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://ladygolem.tumblr.com/post/111038373393 :3:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Just reading this makes me want to eat a bullet. Personally, I just can't bring myself to apply this level of planning and micromanagement. Everyone sleeps in the sprawling housing complex on the residential level and if they don't like it they can sleep in the dorms or on the loving floor for all I care. My usual solution to inefficiencies and slow production is to throw more dwarves at the problem. Dwarves are cheap.

Agreed. My idler count hovers at over 50% of the fort, I only notice that a thing didn't get done a season after I assigned it, and then I add that labor to the next dwarf to wander under the cursor.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

And let's not forget "everyone's a mason day"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's one's a relic, though. The addition of the generic "brick drudge" labor made sure of that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Yeah mass dorm floors are the way to go.

scamtank posted:

That's one's a relic, though. The addition of the generic "brick drudge" labor made sure of that.

The new construction labors are amazing.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Agreed, but I tend to make residential cubes rather than sprawls for the sake of pathing efficiency. Also, I'm presently experimenting with giving everyone a 3x3 bedroom and eliminating corridors entirely, so dwarves just walk through each others rooms to get to their own. The massive number of doors required lets me build fortress wealth and very selectively lock down which rooms get isolated in the event of a berserk toddler or night creature.

I also tend to slap a lot of different labours on my dwarves, and only pare them down when they become highly skilled in one or more jobs. That being said, it is much easier to use the workshop profile to just lock the unskilled dwarves out of the workshops than go through each individual units labours and disable poo poo. This way you can sort of divide labour. You have one or two mason workshops turning out high quality poo poo for decorating your fort while another few, operated by whoever wanders by, churn out stuff like blocks.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Woops, apparently Ral Ilralusen doesn't think a pile of corpses in an out of the way room is a proper burial and has decided to haunt me. Guess I should figure out how to build proper catacombs rather than just throwing a body stockpile down.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that ghost tile is adorable

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You better get that taken care of. A ghost spiral is a nasty way for a fort to go.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I never bury anyone, and just throw all their bodies in a pit because I feel like my fort is a failure if it isn't haunted by dozens of ghosts.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Woops, apparently Ral Ilralusen doesn't think a pile of corpses in an out of the way room is a proper burial and has decided to haunt me. Guess I should figure out how to build proper catacombs rather than just throwing a body stockpile down.

Plonk down a coffin! The rest follows from there.

Also, Toady has apparently broken the second seal:

Toady One posted:

The generator for poetic forms is done... I still need to have it write paragraphs describing the forms, so I'm not really sure what it is generating yet or how well it is doing it. I should have that together soon. I should also reiterate that we're not generating actual words for poems, and we don't have definitions for the languages up to the point where we can make certain meaningful distinctions about tone and stress, etc. (in fact, it just cooks up certain of those details on a per-world basis now to make the generators work). That said, it does put together quite a bit of information regarding structure, content, intent and so forth. If I'm lucky, I'll have some example descriptions tomorrow.

>From there, I can either define musical/dance forms, or get world gen poets up and writing specific poems (again, without the actual words, just what they did, why and how well -- it should be entertaining later in this release to see the game describe poems written by your skill zero dwarves and adventurers).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Crisis averted. I got Ral put to rest and I built a pretty swanky catacombs area. Luckily my fort is still young, so I only had 4 dead dwarves to memorialize.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Nothing like spending 30 minutes equipping your military dwarves before accidentally closing the game without saving :suicide:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

scamtank posted:

Toady has apparently broken the second seal

Dwarf Fortress 2014: I'm not really sure what it is generating yet or how well it is doing it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

VDay posted:

Nothing like spending 30 minutes equipping your military dwarves before accidentally closing the game without saving :suicide:

Toady really needs to add the ability to save military profiles.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'd kill for some kind of DFHack UI for equipment where you can just search through your items and then hit + or something to mark it. Going through each category of armor gets pretty obnoxious considering you can equip like a dozen things on a dwarf, so you end up spending some time double-checking yourself as well to make sure you didn't forget to put another sock on a dude.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uniforms have got to be saved somewhere. Scamtank?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The only thing I can find that modifies uniform vectors is gui/clone-uniform that just plops down a copy of the selected ready template in the military screen.

One low-tech solution would be to use the macro recorder and tape yourself twiddling out the wanted uniforms by hand. Macros are universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Look at this poo poo that is in the help for DFhack that you already looked at and know about but I did not:

Dfhack Hotkeys:
- P while looking at a weaponrack allows it to be assigned to squads.
- Shift-Enter while trading will trade an item/stack and move the cursor one step down, helps to trade faster.
- Shift-B while looking at the pet list opens the Autobutcher UI.

- Ctrl-W changed view of water, shows either tile or numbers.
- Ctrl-Q quicksaves the game.
- Ctrl-M while looking with 'q' at a mechanisms shows what it is linked to.
- Ctrl-O while looking with 'q' at a room will show roomlist and owners.
- Ctrl-F opens the DwarfMonitor UI, showing how effective your dwarves work.
- Ctrl-V while looking at a mineral-vein will designate it for digging.
- Ctrl-C while looking at a tile with 'k' will clean it.
- Ctrl-D wile looking at a workshop duplicates the selected job.
- Ctrl-U while looking at a unit shows more details.
- Ctrl-W while looking at the military equipment screen allows weapon auto-select.

- Ctrl-Shift-P while looking at text => Prints text into the forumdwarves.txt in the DF folder.
- Ctrl-Shift-V while looking at a mineral-vein will designate it for stairs.
- Ctrl-Shift-K will destroy all items designated for dumping on the selected tile.
- Ctrl-Shift-N will rename a unit or building.
- Ctrl-Shift-T will rename a unit profession.
- Ctrl-Shift-M while looking at a pressure plate enables linking it to machine power, waterwheels and windmills.

- Alt-A while looking at a siege engine using 'q' allows manual loading and shooting.
- Alt-P while looking at a stockpile copies the stockpile settings.
- Alt-L while looking at a tile with 'k' opens the liquid-spawner UI.
- Alt-P while defining minecart routes open the GuidePath script.
- Alt-A while looking at a workshop job shows job details.
- Alt-M to see a list of all preferences your dwarves have.

- Alt-Shift-N sorts units/items by name in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-R sorts units by arrival in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-T sorts units by profession/items by material in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-Q sorts units by squad/items by quality modifier in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-S in dwarf mode shows the dfhack stocks-screen.
- Alt-Shift-I in dwarf mode zones shows the dfhack zone-screen.

Adventure Mode Hotkeys:
- Ctrl-B will run adv-bodyswap.
- Ctrl-Shift-B will run adv-bodyswap force.
- Ctrl-T will open the AdvFort UI.

Workflow Plugin Hotkeys:
- Alt-W while looking at a workshop opens the Workflow UI.
- Alt-W while in the 'z' status screen opens the Workflow Status UI.
- Ctrl-W while looking at a workshop opens Workflow UI.
- Ctrl-I opens Workflow Status UI.

*not directed at anyone I literally just looked at this poo poo and thought it was cool so I'm advertising how dumb I am, that is a thing I do