Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Having spent some time reading through the DBZ RPG, I love that not only are there no rules for turning into a giant monkey (even though it's supposed to be covering the only time in DBZ that that ever happened), there are also no rules separating Namekians from humans. There's a vague mention of them regenerating and what that means is never defined.

It's everything I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The first rules for transformations appear in the Frieza Saga book. Also in that book is the rules for making aliens and, surprise! no mention of anything that makes Namekians different from humans. Any forms of non-Saiyan aliens are never mentioned when they talk about training in increased gravity, either, so good luck if you decided to be some blue guy with horns or something. Also fun to note, the core book sort of gives lip service to building an enemy NPC but as it turns out, there is exactly zero way to balance it because of how the game's math works out. You'll pretty much always end up with a boss that can't touch one PC, can't be hit by another, and can't take damage from a third. As it turns out, 3d6+bonus is a bad resolution mechanic when that bonus will vary by more than 20 between characters at character creation alone.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So there's going to be a new 40k Space Hulk game, and they just released a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROOgLD-wtU

And, as Chief_Ding pointed out, naturally awful 40k nerds are mad as hell about the music selection, and are suggesting such luminaries as Dragonforce and Two Steps From Hell as replacements.

The thing is, even though its a very good song, we also felt maybe it wasn't quite spot on for the trailer, and set out to find some alternate selections.

I figured this would work.

But Chief Ding found the perfect option.

So the question is, which would make those awful 40k nerds' heads explode faster?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Kirby themes, of course!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So there's going to be a new 40k Space Hulk game, and they just released a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROOgLD-wtU

And, as Chief_Ding pointed out, naturally awful 40k nerds are mad as hell about the music selection, and are suggesting such luminaries as Dragonforce and Two Steps From Hell as replacements.

I'm fairly meh about the game, but I fuckin dig that song!
I do sort of agree it doesn't quite capture the 40k feel though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Kongos works pretty well

or this maybe...

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
First thing that came to mind.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, I fixed my suggestion.
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=YROOgLD-wtU&video_start=0&audio=W7muCRio2nQ&audio_start=0

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I still like mine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wow that one matches up really well.
also points for 80s as gently caress music.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've always found this winds up going well with just about every video game trailer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Error 404 posted:

Wow that one matches up really well.
also points for 80s as gently caress music.

You really can't get more 80's than Airwolf.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
80s as gently caress, you say?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I couldn't resist, I had to give 40k fans some appropriate industrial sound.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, I tried my hand at it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I threw this in because White Rose Movement is one of my favourite mock-80s post-punk bands, and I thought nothing would piss off diehard WH40k fans more than an acknowledgement that there was music in the eighties besides speed metal.

Also, I'm posting this as more of a curiosity: That trailer adapted to KOTO's Dragon's Legend (an italo-disco song that heavily samples the arcade game Dragon's Lair)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Maybe it was the woman on lead vocals that set them off.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

I don't thinks it's just that. There's also rapping in that music. That means it's urban or poo poo like that.

So, yeah, I think that the rejection of the trailer by the 40k fandom is twofold: first of all, the music has a female singer, second, it's in a non-white style. Now, I'm neither a sexist nor a racist but...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think that music owns and if GW advertised their stuff with more flavourful trailers like that then

Well, it wouldn't solve anything, but I think they could do a lot more with a product's advertising and/or score if they strayed away from orchestral/metal crap and went for more characterful styles sometimes. This could apply to a lot of things, mind. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ratpick posted:

I don't thinks it's just that. There's also rapping in that music. That means it's urban or poo poo like that.

So, yeah, I think that the rejection of the trailer by the 40k fandom is twofold: first of all, the music has a female singer, second, it's in a non-white style. Now, I'm neither a sexist nor a racist but...

Based on this comment, I have derived a suitable alternative.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
IMPERIUM! gently caress YEAH!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
A GIRL CAN DO WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO.

Saguaro PI fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 15, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goddamnit you nerds, that music is perfect. And Kadebostany is 40k as gently caress anyway.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

That's really better if you start the song at 0.

moths posted:

Goddamnit you nerds, that music is perfect. And Kadebostany is 40k as gently caress anyway.
:thejoke: We're "fixing" it by choosing music that the awful 40k nerds who are transparently upset because, not only is it not generic white-boy approved metal, it's by a woman and includes passages that sound vaguely Latin, would find even more objectionable.

Though, real talk, I think they could have done a better job getting the action to match the meter of the song.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

To be honest, it's not the kind of song I would've chosen for a WH40K trailer either. But if there's one thing worse than gettin' mad at videogames, it's gettin' mad at videogame trailers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That music is rad as gently caress, what the hell.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Though, real talk, I think they could have done a better job getting the action to match the meter of the song.

True, that and bringing some of the sound effects out a bit more, like that plasma gun exploding a genestealer. Still though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man, I am a fan of power metal and I still think 40k could do with less metal. It's just too on-the-nose and unironic to work. The 80s rock and the rap are both better fits here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be 100% fair it's not just 40K nerds in particular who trip over themselves to insist that lovely metal be the music of choice to score EVERYTHING, ALL METAL ALL THE TIME.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kai Tave posted:

That music is rad as gently caress, what the hell.

This is something we all agree on.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Huh, i figured it wouldn't sync well, but you're right, this works way better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't check the links and just assumed you guys had lost your drat minds. Glad I was wrong!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be honest, it's not the kind of song I would've chosen for a WH40K trailer either. But if there's one thing worse than gettin' mad at videogames, it's gettin' mad at videogame trailers.

I remember people bitching about this trailer because Kanye and they believed 21st Century Schizoid Man would have fit perfectly anyway. :doh:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

moths posted:

I didn't check the links and just assumed you guys had lost your drat minds. Glad I was wrong!

No problem! I can totally understand the reaction, it's the one I had seeing the response on YouTube.

You should totally check out at least Chief_Ding's version in my first post, though, it's amazing. (Yes I did that on purpose.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah these are pretty fantastic, actually. And if poo poo hasn't been run into the ground yet...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I actually like my Enya dub...:(

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
The suggestions of a friend

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly surprised nobody did this yet. It syncs surprisingly well

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Honestly surprised nobody did this yet. It syncs surprisingly well

I almost did, but I was too lazy. :( The fame could have been mine.

e: man that synchs up so well. Quad City DJs really does work with anything!

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
There's only one appropriate choice of song for Sci-Fi Vietnam. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So YouDubber.com is really a page that loads for other people, rather than just timing out? Fascinating!

Also I was going to respond to Nancy_Noxious but I think that ship has long since sailed.

PresidentBeard posted:

they are nothing compared to the legions of wehraboo fascists.
I used to think nothing good had come from coopting that Perry Bible Fellowship comic strip word but then I saw this and now I will concede that it has now redeemed itself.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its also not how you are supposed to play Ravenloft which is the most confusing aspect of the entire setting. The horror is so incredibly shallow and painfully derivative that it really isn't scary but the mechanics are straight out of a Cthulhu horror game.
Yeah I mean, Ravenloft really would be a profoundly terrifying place in real life, but when you are playing a character who casually murders evil creatures and spirits from beyond the grave on a regular basis, a dead guy wrapped in linen seems a bit less offputting. Kind of like the Punisher going from comic book to movie; "a man who uses guns to kill bad guys suddenly sounds a tiny bit less like a novel premise in that setting.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think my favorite orc spin I've seen (It may even have been here) was "Orcs -were- a world-destroying threat years ago....and then they found out that other races don't reincarnate shortly after death with all memories intact. So have spent the last several decades being really, really sorry because they thought they were just temporarily inconveniencing people with all the murder."
That was here. That was a pretty fun idea. Though it sounds like a better setting for a police procedural than an RPG I think. "These look like orc blade cuts...but...there hasn't been an orc killing in 20 years." "Looks like Guruk the Not Appreciative of Others' Mortality has finally returned."

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also the actual best alignment system is the one where you write the action hero your character would best identify with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KvM3vZo0w&t=20s

• Locked thread