Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Darkest Dungeon, I love you bro but you got some issues. Mostly that if you give me two crusaders in the first 3 weeks the game becomes trivialized and I have no intention or hiring any of the shittier classes now. Hellion? Maybe if I want someone who's skills turn them into a wet paperbag poking at the enemy with a stick. Jester? Hahah get the gently caress out, what the hell are you even doing. Grave Digger? Cool, you can't even dig graves without an item like everyone else, go diddle yourself in the corner with the Plague Doctor and the Leper.

One Vetsal, one Highwayman and two Crusaders make the game so goddamn easy it's not even funny. And then I figured out how to take out the enemies in the back of the formations with never ending Holy Lances from both Crusaders. Then if they get super racist towards certain enemies you're basically made for the rest of the game.

I'm really digging the game, it's one of the most fun ones I've played in a long time, but the devs seriously have to re-balance some of the classes so they're useful beyond "puts lovely damage over time effect on someone."

That's how I felt too, but turns out, DoTs are rad against bosses. That poo poo stacks. Don't use that one awful move that debuffs the hellion, she can buff herself and just wreck anything single target. I'm not sure how your crusaders manage to be good, all the ones I get are made of paper and get crushed then go insane. A team with a hellion and a leper meanwhile are pretty much just a blender and destroy everything in the front two spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DStecks posted:

My summary was a simplification of that- they didn't mean to destroy the city, but that's not an impossible-to-foresee outcome of what they were doing with the Transistor. And no, the Camerata aren't an NSA analogue at all, because they don't represent Cloudbank's government, if Cloudbank even has one. If anything, they're the Charlie Hebdo shooters.

And besides, "we're accidentally destroying the world ~for noble reasons~" is like the most cliche video game villain plot in history, up there with "I just wanna conquer the world" and "we're an evil PMC, go gently caress yourself", so my point still stands about how you guess Transistor's plot long before it deigns to let you know you're right.

Oh come on, how many games are there where the bad guys are simply fools that unleashed an impersonal force of nature, instead of being actively and constantly malevolent? The Camerata aren't a cabal of dark lords, they're fools who thought they knew better than the rest of society and decided shake up the status quo. The game gives them sufficient characterisation that you pitied them, not hated them.

joshtothemaxx posted:

You might not ever see the world pre-Bastion, but you get a good sense of what was lost. The music especially, as well as the community feeling the narrator talks about. It all felt like he was nostalgic for a blue collar existence that was snatched away, like those scenes in films when all the tired people from the factory get together, sing folk songs, and drink all weekend. You don't need to see that as the player, just know that someone (the narrator) misses it immensely.

Oxxidation posted:

And then you read between the lines and see that it was actually a segregated police state that developed a magic nuke to finish killing off the continent's natives, and the narrator is just too blinded by patriotism and guilt to acknowledge it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Natives who were teaching their kids nursery-rhymes about how some day they're gonna genocide all those assholes up in that big fancy city.

The conflict in Bastion is almost an inevitability. Everyone you fight, the gasbags, the Ura, the rabbit things, even the birds and crocodiles are just fighting for their survival. Nobody wants a war, but by gum war is happening and nobody is willing to lay down and die.

But ultimately, this is where Bastion succeeded over Transistor.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In bastion the moral of the story is that everyone just wants to genocide everyone, which you learn while genociding everyone.

I like how at the end if you choose to rescue Zulf there's the one guy who still fires on you even after everybody else has stopped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

I like how at the end if you choose to rescue Zulf there's the one guy who still fires on you even after everybody else has stopped.

Then his buddy smacks him and he stops too :v:

edit: Just rewatched the scene and actually he doesn't voluntarily stop, his buddy straight-up knocks him out.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Oh, is that how that scene is supposed to go? I apparently hit a bug and no one stopped shooting at me. I was basically smashing the heal button as I furiously dodged and weaved

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Oh come on, how many games are there where the bad guys are simply fools that unleashed an impersonal force of nature, instead of being actively and constantly malevolent?

Doom
Half-Life (ignoring the HL2 retcon)
Bioshock
Any given video game based on Jurassic Park
Arguably the Covenant in Halo 1, since the unleashing of the Flood was a genuine mistake, instead of a non-example like the Umbrella corporation where they did it fully intentionally but underestimated the impact.
Dead Space
I'm pretty sure a couple of Final Fantasy games

And it's a pretty stock plot in fiction in general.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

DStecks posted:

Doom
Bioshock
Any given video game based on Jurassic Park
Arguably the Covenant in Halo 1, since the unleashing of the Flood was a genuine mistake, instead of a non-example like the Umbrella corporation where they did it fully intentionally but underestimated the impact.
Dead Space

And it's a pretty stock plot in fiction in general.

Don't forget Tales of Vesperia! :downsgun:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

DStecks posted:

It's arguable how in-control the antagonists of 1, 3, and (kind of) 12 were, but it could possibly all count on that one, and Kefka's a loving loony whose grip on reality, let alone his own plan, is tenuous at best.

5 might count, it's a bit questionable how much of ExDeath beig released was actually anyone else''s fault. But spiritual sequel Bravely Default definitely counts.

10's definitely a setting held together by mutual incompetence, but it's less 'unleashing' a force of nature and more 'prolonging'. I can't speak for any of the others, but it might be at play in 4 and possibly 9.

EDIT: Come to think of it, 2 didn't actually have that in play.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Feb 14, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DStecks posted:

Even with the reveal in Episode 2, that still leaves most of the people involved acting without direct knowledge of what they would bring about. Although, you kind of have to wonder about the scientists in charge of the Xen research teams.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

DStecks posted:

Dead Space
I'm pretty sure the higher up Unitologists knew what the hell they were doing. Might be wrong, been awhile since I played them and never did finish three.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

Oh, is that how that scene is supposed to go? I apparently hit a bug and no one stopped shooting at me. I was basically smashing the heal button as I furiously dodged and weaved

This happened my first time through, except I didn't heal fast enough and died like two steps from the end. I was all "How the gently caress are people supposed to beat this?" then I tried again and everything worked proper.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nuebot posted:

This happened my first time through, except I didn't heal fast enough and died like two steps from the end. I was all "How the gently caress are people supposed to beat this?" then I tried again and everything worked proper.

You may have aggro'd one or more of them if you were fighting incautiously in their vicinity. I don't actually recall if there's any incautious fighting you can do there, honestly, but I do know that all bets are off if you swing on any of them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Another one for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, the Shakalakas. Aside from being second-rate Jarjar Binkses, it seems like the further into the game I get, the less often they use their dances (basically, spells that the game casts at random). In this hunt I just finished, I went fifteen minutes between either of them doing anything to try to help me out. They're level 30, have maxed out mastery on their masks, and a chum-chum level of 4, but they seem to regularly decide they'd much rather just stand around bashing the wildlife than try to help out in the actual hunt. So I'm having to use up a lot more healing items than normal because, despite the fact that they both have a high frequency large healing ability, they never seem to atually use it.

Also, for a game that wants such precision from the player that it feels the need to have an NPC in the village explain invincibility frames to you, the hit detection in this game can be wonky as gently caress.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

World Famous Whore posted:

I'm pretty sure the higher up Unitologists knew what the hell they were doing. Might be wrong, been awhile since I played them and never did finish three.

Oh they knew exactly what was happening, Unitology's leaders are insane, the ones you meet in Dead Space 3 are even more so.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

im pooping! posted:

God damnit, my fish died in Mass Effect 2 and I friend zoned Yeoman Chambers before she offered to feed my fish, now I can't get the Prejek Paddlefish in Mass Effect 3 and I miss out on a 10% increase on my power damage which I would like for an insanity runthrough.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had to google to see if you were taking the piss or not. Jesus.

JFC, did Kojima consult on this game?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Another one for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, the Shakalakas. Aside from being second-rate Jarjar Binkses, it seems like the further into the game I get, the less often they use their dances (basically, spells that the game casts at random). In this hunt I just finished, I went fifteen minutes between either of them doing anything to try to help me out. They're level 30, have maxed out mastery on their masks, and a chum-chum level of 4, but they seem to regularly decide they'd much rather just stand around bashing the wildlife than try to help out in the actual hunt. So I'm having to use up a lot more healing items than normal because, despite the fact that they both have a high frequency large healing ability, they never seem to atually use it.

Also, for a game that wants such precision from the player that it feels the need to have an NPC in the village explain invincibility frames to you, the hit detection in this game can be wonky as gently caress.
In MH4U they get replaced by adorable cats. I haven't played enough to know if they're better, but I'll take adorable cats over weirdly proportioned tiny humanoids.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phobophilia posted:

The problem with Red and Blue's characterisation was that it was done poorly. Red had a pre-defined character: female, artist, singer, and their decision to make her a silent protagonist badly hurt her characterisation. Their attempt to make Logan Cunningham the sold narrator was a mistake, because he didn't have a real character besides being Red's boyfriend. Neither character could bounce off one another. They could get away with making Bastion's Kid a blank slate, because Rucks did have a strong personality.

Yup.
In comparison to Bastion it just pales in story telling.

Elysiume posted:

In MH4U they get replaced by adorable cats. I haven't played enough to know if they're better, but I'll take adorable cats over weirdly proportioned tiny humanoids.

Felynes >>>>> Shakalakas.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Felynes >>>>> Shakalakas.

:agreed:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OK, wow, I know this will not be the first or thousandth time his has been said, but the gunplay in Alpha Protocol is un loving playable. I'd heard it was going to be bad, but nothing can prepare you for the total shitness of Alpha Protocol's gameplay.

(the stealth and cover systems aren't hot either)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Use Pistols, get Chain Shot. Get Alertness and whatever the make-you-invisible-when-you-gently caress-up ability is (Evasion? it's been a while). This should make it functional enough that playing no longer makes you want to die.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I never finished Alpha Protocol because of the gameplay. I really loved the branching storylines and all that but the gameplay is probably the worst of any video game I've ever played

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DStecks posted:

OK, wow, I know this will not be the first or thousandth time his has been said, but the gunplay in Alpha Protocol is un loving playable. I'd heard it was going to be bad, but nothing can prepare you for the total shitness of Alpha Protocol's gameplay.

Because it's an RPG, not a shooter, but it REALLY wants to be a shooter. I can understand people not being able finish it because of that, but the thing dragging AP down for me is there won't be a sequel where they get to fix the problems.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finding the hidden frogs in every map of MGS3 is difficult but actually a lot of fun right up until the end. The problem arose when you only have a few seconds to snipe a frog very far away while you're sitting on a moving motorbike and also your scope randomly shakes as you get shot.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The worst part about shooting the Kerotans is if you're like me, you're still playing the game, not just speedrunning it to get it over with, so by the time you get to the end where you only have a few seconds and checkpoints don't work like they should, it becomes incredibly nerve-wracking just figuring out if you actually shot the Kerotan or if you just shot right next to it, because it was going really fast and you don't remember hearing the stupid noise it makes before you loaded into a new area.

In the end I got it and the invisibility camo isn't all that great.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I never finished Alpha Protocol because of the gameplay. I really loved the branching storylines and all that but the gameplay is probably the worst of any video game I've ever played

While AP is probably the most egregious example of this, it's a problem in every game that tries to be an RPG where you can guns. The first Mass Effect (there's a reason they changed the focus to shooting for 2 and 3), Alphs Protocol, Fallout 3, and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons all suffer from the fact that shooting people (your primary way of interacting with them) feels janky and unsatisfying.

And the fact that I love all those games to bits probably means I'm terrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, again! If you're going to encourage a second playthrough on the same character, don't make enemies straight out of the gate be resistant to all elements because there are characters in this game whose tertiary skills are entirely focused on elemental damage! How about you balance your own loving game instead of letting math do it for you!

Also:

gently caress this game's dumb writing, I'm glad I play with the voices on 0 so I can listen to interesting things instead while I play.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Feb 15, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kalos posted:

While AP is probably the most egregious example of this, it's a problem in every game that tries to be an RPG where you can guns. The first Mass Effect (there's a reason they changed the focus to shooting for 2 and 3), Alphs Protocol, Fallout 3, and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons all suffer from the fact that shooting people (your primary way of interacting with them) feels janky and unsatisfying.

And the fact that I love all those games to bits probably means I'm terrible.

Fallout 3/NV is honestly not that bad, more satisfying than some legit shooters I've played. VATS was also really well balanced in my experience, not being too powerful or too necessary for combat like it easily could have been.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As someone who's put more time into borderlands 2 than any other game I'm so disappointed every time I see someone mention the pre sequel. The best I've heard said about it is "maybe it's ok?" And considering how much less of a jump from BL2 to the presequel it is compared to BL1 to BL2, I don't know how they managed to screw up so much.

I'm not sure if I'll get it on a sale and see if it has any redeeming value or just accept that borderlands has gone the way of almost everything else gearbox has made.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I'm not sure if I'll get it on a sale and see if it has any redeeming value or just accept that borderlands has gone the way of almost everything else gearbox has made.

2K Australia made Presequel, not Gearbox.

And it's okay for one playthrough when it drops to 10-15$. There's too much that hurts its replayability though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

As someone who's put more time into borderlands 2 than any other game I'm so disappointed every time I see someone mention the pre sequel. The best I've heard said about it is "maybe it's ok?" And considering how much less of a jump from BL2 to the presequel it is compared to BL1 to BL2, I don't know how they managed to screw up so much.

The writing of TPS is insanely hit and miss (I say this as someone who genuinely enjoys the writing of BL2) and I haven't tried any TVHM stuff but I really like the moon physics, cryo guns, and new characters. Definitely at least give it a shot.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Hey, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, again! If you're going to encourage a second playthrough on the same character, don't make enemies straight out of the gate be resistant to all elements because there are characters in this game whose tertiary skills are entirely focused on elemental damage! How about you balance your own loving game instead of letting math do it for you!

Also:

gently caress this game's dumb writing, I'm glad I play with the voices on 0 so I can listen to interesting things instead while I play.

Don't worry the head writer left Gearbox so BL3 has about a 50% chance of being good.

Agreed on the balancing though, same problems that plagued BL2.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is such a petty complaint but I just started MGS4 and I'm really bad at it because they changed the controls which had been used since MGS1. I've played through all the games back to back so I'm used to the lovely old controls and these new ones don't make sense to me. They've changed a lot of the mechanics too, so I have lost my bearings.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Don't worry the head writer left Gearbox so BL3 has about a 50% chance of being good.

Agreed on the balancing though, same problems that plagued BL2.

Isn't the character in that screenshot voiced by said head writer's sister? :barf:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kay Kessler posted:

Isn't the character in that screenshot voiced by said head writer's sister? :barf:

Yeah and the character's like 14 years old which is also funny

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Feb 15, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DStecks posted:

Also punch people, that skill is pretty sweet

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

This is such a petty complaint but I just started MGS4 and I'm really bad at it because they changed the controls which had been used since MGS1. I've played through all the games back to back so I'm used to the lovely old controls and these new ones don't make sense to me. They've changed a lot of the mechanics too, so I have lost my bearings.

you've never played a 3rd person shooter in the last 12 years? That's why those controls were changed the way they were. And how do they not make sense if you've played peace walker since you went through all the games already?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kay Kessler posted:

Yes Tiny Tina is voiced by Ashley Burch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kalos posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons

I'm laughing and I don't know why.

Kaubocks posted:

The writing of TPS is insanely hit and miss (I say this as someone who genuinely enjoys the writing of BL2) and I haven't tried any TVHM stuff but I really like the moon physics, cryo guns, and new characters. Definitely at least give it a shot.

This is pretty much my opinion by the word.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Also:

Tiny Tina is still supremely obnoxious, Janey Springs doesn't shut up nearly fast enough, you can only skip perhaps two cutscenes in the entire game, drop rates are so stingy that single-player is effectively "no orange weapons for me, thanks" mode, and TVHM is somehow more broken and frustrating than ever before.

I still play it on occasion, though, because it's a numbers-go-up FPS and I have bad taste in game.

(And yeah, after one playthrough, absolutely set dialogue volume to zero.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Evil Within is my jam in a lot of ways, but I've died three times tonight because I keep trying to use an ax or a torch for an instant kill, and my guy decides his efforts are better spent kicking a nearby corpse.