Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Little_wh0re posted:

After finishing Storm warning and enjoying it a lot i'v picked up... errr The Marian Conspiricy, The Holy Terror, Colditz, Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear and Ish

You have chosen very, very wisely. All those ranged from "decently solid" with ...ish to "fantastic" with Colditz/Seasons of Fear to "amazing" with The Chimes of Midnight.

And :psyboom: for The Holy Terror.

As an aside, a conversation with a friend today led to a neat idea of a IDW/Dynamite Comics crossover. The Sixth Doctor...and Ash Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

You'll catch up!

I don't know, I was closing in on 100 and then they dropped the prices on 50-100 so I ended up going back and filling up the gaps in my collection, and now I'm slowly working my way back up again.

Oh woe is me, I have too much NEW Doctor Who to enjoy! Mid-90s me would beat the poo poo out of me.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

CobiWann posted:

You have chosen very, very wisely. All those ranged from "decently solid" with ...ish to "fantastic" with Colditz/Seasons of Fear to "amazing" with The Chimes of Midnight.

As an aside, a conversation with a friend today led to a neat idea of a IDW/Dynamite Comics crossover. The Sixth Doctor...and Ash Williams.

A part of me is still waiting for the Quantum Leap/Doctor Who crossover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Fourth Doctor and Red Sonja. :colbert: Let's see him deal with a REAL warrior woman that doesn't give a poo poo about science.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Little_wh0re posted:

After finishing Storm warning and enjoying it a lot i'v picked up... errr The Marian Conspiricy, The Holy Terror, Colditz, Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear and Ish

These are some quality Big Finish choices.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh woe is me, I have too much NEW Doctor Who to enjoy! Mid-90s me would beat the poo poo out of me.

I know, right? Once I finally do catch up (I've been calculating when this will happen and it will be in late 2017 if I continue at the rate I'm going), I'm just going to complain that I have to wait a whole month for more Big Finish!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

I know, right? Once I finally do catch up (I've been calculating when this will happen and it will be in late 2017 if I continue at the rate I'm going), I'm just going to complain that I have to wait a whole month for more Big Finish!

This is me. I started in 99 with Sirens, and never looked back.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bicyclops posted:

These are some quality Big Finish choices.

a Whole week more likely. Last year there was 50ish Doctor Who related releases, including quite few boxed sets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

adhuin posted:

a Whole week more likely. Last year there was 50ish Doctor Who related releases, including quite few boxed sets.

Nick Briggs must be some kind of a machine. Like, some kind of a brain that's just encased in a metal shell.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's a bit ahead (read: not on sale) of all the ones you guys are talking about, but I listened to Heroes of Sontar the other day and it's the best story I've heard in quite some time. Easily the best Sontaran story, possibly the best Turlough story, and it handles the rest of the characters, including a squad of seven Sontarans, extremely well. It pulls the same trick as the new series in making the Sontarans comic relief, but it turns out there's a reason why these particular soldiers are so funny, and it uses this to dovetail into an emotionally strong finale. It's like just, really good, man.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

It's a bit ahead (read: not on sale) of all the ones you guys are talking about, but I listened to Heroes of Sontar the other day and it's the best story I've heard in quite some time. Easily the best Sontaran story, possibly the best Turlough story, and it handles the rest of the characters, including a squad of seven Sontarans, extremely well. It pulls the same trick as the new series in making the Sontarans comic relief, but it turns out there's a reason why these particular soldiers are so funny, and it uses this to dovetail into an emotionally strong finale. It's like just, really good, man.

Yeah, it's a highlight so far of what I've heard of the rebooted 5/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough adventures. If you like Turlough stories you'll love Kiss of Death, the next one.

So I can get all the rest of the 8th Doctor episodes I don't have (besides Dark Eyes 2 and 3) for $50? :drat:

I should start paying more attention to the sales...I've bought almost 100 audios in the past year...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF just added "An Earthly Child" to its Eighth Doctor sale.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

You'll catch up! The Companion Chronicles, EDAs and Dalek War are slowing me down.

It's probably a bad thing that I'm putting more time into planning how I'm going approach the next block of BFAs than I am into work, the record label I co-own, or the convention I'm trackleading.

Probably.

Soooo.... Should I do do the next clump as release date for the monthlies and CC's, then do all of Dalek Empire 4 in succession?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And speaking of Conventions I'm involved in, East Coast Goons -

a) Who all is going to Regeneration Who next month?

b) Is anyone going to Balticon? (Same hotel, Memorial Day weekend.) I'm ensuring that there will be at least two Doctor Who panels, ideally three, so that we can hold one at the Sacred Witching Hour of 11pm on Saturday night, as this year is the thirtieth anniversary of Doctor Who in Maryland.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Well apparently the "Key to Time" box set is out of print in R1. I found this out by trying to order it in December when they had it marked down to $45 and them not sending it to me because they ran out. And now there's only used ones that are $90+ :negative:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Soooo.... Should I do do the next clump as release date for the monthlies and CC's, then do all of Dalek Empire 4 in succession?

I'm only halfway through, but Dalek Empire IV has been a bit of a slog so far, Noel Clark and Maureen O'Brien notwithstanding. I thought they were finally done with the Angel of Mercy thing, but it's still there. I'd break it up with other stories.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

From toxx-thread

Little_wh0re posted:

this is both not true and has never been true and I really wish people would stop saying it, they meet out of order, but not reverse

Eh. the Show heavily implies that it is mostly in reverse order with "His First Time and her Last."-stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavWtkIgnDQ

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

adhuin posted:

From toxx-thread

Eh. the Show heavily implies that it is mostly in reverse order with "His First Time and her Last."-stuff

Yeah, I remember them remarking that it's based on The Time Traveler's Wife, where, if I remember correctly, that is the tendency.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God I hate discussing River's character without the full context.

Because she IS a Mary Sue- it's just if she's a well done one that matters.

But without the bullshit Mels/Timelord/PERFECT SUPER ASSASSIN/Daughter Of The Ponds trainwreck, you just have a very competent woman who happens to be meeting the Doctor out of order.

River, as we have seen her, isn't a Mary Sue just because she fits so well with the other characters. She's no different than Jack in a lot of respects.

Dump in the rest and that's the fanfiction motherload.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's amazing how quickly next season shits the bed and how every one after it rolls around in the mess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was rolling with it up to the end of A Good Man Goes To War, but then the instant Mels regenerated into River I knew the wheels had fallen off the Moffatmobile.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I was rolling with it up to the end of A Good Man Goes To War, but then the instant Mels regenerated into River I knew the wheels had fallen off the Moffatmobile.

I was fine with it until Day of the Moon decided to be non-linear for no reason at all and didn't resolve the previous cliffhanger.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I'd say the 7th season was the season that dropped the ball. 5th & 6th Season had so many balls in the air, that I didn't care if 1 or 2 got dropped in the background. As a whole it worked.

7th Season dropped the heavy continuity and tried more individual stories and no two-parters. I like both of those and clearly Moffat is better at doing serial-stories. It didn't help that we had half year of companions that had overstayed their welcome and rest of the season was spend with one that didn't get any characterization until the 8th season.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

adhuin posted:

From toxx-thread

it broadly tracks backwards but isn't just backwards

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I mean, Smith leaving early didn't help Moffat stick the landing, but when only you're take off is smooth there's probably no chance you'll land well any way.

In fact, thinking back on Season Five, it's odd to see how much more RTD-lite the last season was. The historical celebrity episode has shifted from Vincent and the Doctor into that Robin Hood nonsense, and even a single badly realised robot soldier can wipe out the entire planet.

Little_wh0re posted:

it broadly tracks backwards but isn't just backwards

Exactly, if it was backwards we would never see River Song again after Let's Kill Hitler.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I would agree season 6 is a disaster, although I love the Flesh 2-parter, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex.
And then the last half season with the Ponds was such a nothing. Ugh. Although I appreciate on an intellectual level what Moffat was trying to do with The Angels Take Manhattan, and it works on a thematic level. But the actual episode is sort of erratic, and the Statue of Liberty turning into an Angel is never, ever going to be topped in terms of "ideas that seemed great on paper but when actually executed are in fact insane nonsense".
but then I liked much of the second half of season 7.5, although Clara was sort of ill-defined. and then I dislike The Name of the Doctor, loved Day of the Doctor, and had VERY MIXED FEELINGS on The Time of the Doctor. and then of course I loving love season 8, because Peter Capaldi is great and Clara is now an actual character rather than a plot device. And Missy! :allears:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I hated the Missy-teasers inside the earlier episodes. She was great in the finale, but the teasers felt just pointless manic pixie badguy-stuff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't think Angels Take Manhattan works on any level, thematically it feels like such an odd, silly ending to Amy and Rory's storyline. The entire season and a half before that had been seemingly building up to them leaving the TARDIS willingly, and living long, happy lives, but nope, instead there just zapped away by Angels and unable to reach the Doctor for nonsense plot reasons. It's especially dumb because as soon as you think about the reason he can't just pick them up there's so many holes in it.

Clara was okay this season I guess, but I'd rather she had vanished for good than have to put up with Danny and hers horrible scenes together. I can't think of a single moment they were on screen together that didn't bring episodes to a screeching hault and lower the quality of every character in the scene.

Mummy, Boneless and the Christmas Special were good. I'll probably never rewatch another episode outside of them. Missy I couldn't care less about, I guess she was okay, but the episodes she featured in were terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adhuin posted:

7th Season dropped the heavy continuity and tried more individual stories and no two-parters. I like both of those and clearly Moffat is better at doing serial-stories. It didn't help that we had half year of companions that had overstayed their welcome and rest of the season was spend with one that didn't get any characterization until the 8th season.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about season plotting in New Who. It's obviously something audiences expected when the series came back in 2005 (RTD wanted to emulate Buffy, at least to some extent, and J. J. Abrams had just finished Alias and just started Lost, which I think changed a lot of expectations about large-scale "macro" plotting in genre shows between them), but I'm not sure whether or not I'd enjoy a Who season that went for this kind of all-out, every-episode-counts style of serialisation you sometimes see. I think you need to have the monster-of-the-week episodes which are significant in and of themselves in between, because, like The X-Files, they're often what makes the programme fun.

In terms of the overarching story, season eight felt to me like a weird halfway house between RTD's style, where there's a pattern you can pick out, but the big bad's connection to it isn't usually revealed until the finale, and Moffat's, which I think has leaned more towards the "somebody is orchestrating everything against the Doctor but we don't know who it is yet" (perhaps that's not the best way to distinguish them, but I've no peculiar talent for writing or plotting myself, so I realise I may be making some inelegant misrepresentations there).

surc
Aug 17, 2004

adhuin posted:

I hated the Missy-teasers inside the earlier episodes. She was great in the finale, but the teasers felt just pointless manic pixie badguy-stuff.

Yes, this exactly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Season 6 has some really great episodes but a lot of complicated fluff that doesn't pan out. Season 7 isn't bad, it's just aggressively mediocre a lot of the time, which is unfortunate for a season that says goodbye to some longtime companions and introduces another. Season 8 was mostly great, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

The historical celebrity episode has shifted from Vincent and the Doctor into that Robin Hood nonsense,

What's it like to hate fun?

adhuin posted:

Yeah, but rewatching them after the reveal they were much better.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Bicyclops posted:

Season 8 was mostly great, though.

Agreed. All 10 episodes of the Season 8 were mostly great! :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I kinda like the idea that she started collecting all the Doctor's friends and acquaintances personally, then eventually got bored and programmed Chris Addison to do it for her.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Astroman posted:

What's it like to hate fun?

Ask him about being allergic to positivity!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, it's really unfortunate how 7.0 is Amy and Rory's farewell. It's really underwhelming. I guess Dinosaurs on a Spaceship had a few moments (and the Mitchell & Webb robots owned), and A Town Called Mercy was sort of interesting as a "moral dilemma" episode, but I didn't like Asylum of the Daleks (and it seemed like Amy and Rory were shoehorned into it, anyway) and The Power of Three. And I thought The Angels Take Manhattan had great atmosphere and structure, but the whole thing was brutally soured by being kind of an upsetting end for Rory and Amy.
But as I have said before, I love Hide, Cold War, The Crimson Horror, The Snowmen, and Day of the Doctor, and like The Bells of St. John, The Rings of Akhaten, and Nightmare in Silver. And while I don't really like either The Name of the Doctor or The Time of the Doctor, they never reach the colossal badness of the season 6 plot episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

adhuin posted:

Agreed. All 10 episodes of the Season 8 were mostly great! :colbert:

Forest of the Night :colbert:.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Forest of the Night :colbert:.

Not that great at counting?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Not that great at counting?

Evidently not :cripes:.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

adhuin posted:

They also serve to make those episodes weaker on rewatches by inserting plot from the finale that is out of place. It was fine to set things up in Deep Breath and I didn't care about the "promised land" namedrop in the Robin Hood episode, but they're super annoying in every other episode. I really dislike how these over-arching plots have morphed from a one word mention like Torchwood or Bad Wolf to stuff on the level of the Key to Time. This is Doctor Who, not Burn Notice, we don't need to revisit the plot of the season all of the time. We don't even really need a plot of the season every season.

The episode with the instance of this that I particularly hate is the conversation between Amy and Rory about watching the Doctor die during The Doctor's Wife, which is a reminder of a lackluster over-arching plot during what is a fantastic episode. I'd rather just rewatch a great episode like The Doctor's Wife without having to think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
BTW, updated the review index on the first page of this thread, per request.

• Locked thread