Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

Went to a gun show with my buddy today in rural Wisconsin, finger-hosed a compact FN that I think I'll pick up in the coming weeks. Otherwise didn't buy anything, but my $7 entrance fee did include a fight between two old fudds, so that was pretty bitchin'!

Also, had to resist the urge to buy one of several $500 AK's. Completely forgot that the address on my ID isn't current so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I remember buying an AK for less than 200 and an SKS for under a hundred.

Stupid high prices now :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sitting at home watching Heroes by myself. Happy V day everyone.
I'm browsing through Netflix and Amazon trying to figure out what I'm going to watch tonight.

Tommychu posted:

The day of the year I'm most happy to be single. Spent the day tool shopping (well, mostly shopping for that torque wrench but I picked up some punches and chisels and stuff for myself) and making arrangements to look at a possibly-pretty-cool-new-to-me car.
I really don't mind being single today or most other days. Spent the entire day in the garage working on lingering issues on the 320i. Some guy came and bought an engine that I didn't want so that was nice. Brother and the wife went to do V-Day crap around noon when they woke up so it's been a good day.

Welding shop hasn't called me back yet about exhaust work. I want to drive the car outside of my neighborhood so I can open it up a bit but it's stupid loud and not exactly happy to be running open headers. Tomorrow I need to either replace the master cylinder on the 928 (pain in the rear end job) or just refill the fluid and bleed the system and say gently caress it. I'll likely be flushing the system and just topping off the reservoir as needed. Whoever decided to mount it where it is is an rear end in a top hat.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Well after the false alarm yesterday morning my wife went into labor last night. Cal was born this morning healthy and happy and now he's napping on my lap while I forum post :)

Awesome. Congrats.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just showed my lady I love her for V-day by dragging my grill out of my garage through foot-deep icy snow and grilling 2 very nice porterhouses in the "feels like" -11 wind. Havent had a good steak in a while, was great!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Do people actually fall for this poo poo?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I don't really enjoy casual hookups but I'm bored and depressed so I just msg'd this girl that looked like a stoner and asked if she wanted to blaze. She replied, "Hell yes!" Will report back if I can get her to drive here in a snow storm.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wife and I were driving the NA through the park on the way back from a walk, past the children's play area. 8 year old boy on the sidewalk says "OMG NICE PORSCHE!!!!!"

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

blk posted:

Wife and I were driving the NA through the park on the way back from a walk, past the children's play area. 8 year old boy on the sidewalk says "OMG NICE PORSCHE!!!!!"

I suddenly want to see an NA Miata made to look like a tiny 944. I really wish this were a thing that existed :v:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Fucker with the LP640 backed out of the deal to try to start a bidding war. gently caress that.

Gonna go look at this one instead (which is local): http://www.catsexotics.com/web/used/Lamborghini-Murcielago-2003-Lynnwood-Washington/1601483/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Comrade Flynn posted:

Fucker with the LP640 backed out of the deal to try to start a bidding war. gently caress that.

Gonna go look at this one instead (which is local): http://www.catsexotics.com/web/used/Lamborghini-Murcielago-2003-Lynnwood-Washington/1601483/

Ohhh have Murci!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Instead of going out on V-day with a girl I've been on three dates with, we went out last night for burgers and karaoke. The karaoke bar was a loving riot. So many people and so much fun. She likes the same music I do and she has the voice of an angel :3:

She's originally from Utah and has only been in Atlanta since October. She said she wants to experience some authentically "southern" things. I ended up with tickets to the Sprint Cup race here in Atlanta on March 1, so I'm going to take her to the race for some full-on redneck immersion.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm browsing through Netflix and Amazon trying to figure out what I'm going to watch tonight.

If you haven't watched Justified I'd highly recommend it. Seasons 1-5 are on Amazon prime. They are about 3 episodes in to the 6th(final) season. I love it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Just gave up on sleeping after six hours, roommates are out so their dogs have been nonstop barking and howling that entire time.

I'm just about to set up a 110DB stereo recording of it and time it to go off at 2am, and only turn off for 5-10 minutes when someone goes downstairs all night so they can understand what it is to work 3rd shift with their untrained animals of utter failure in the house.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My GF got a Corolla LE for 23k out the door. It was her first time on a Toyota lot :catstare:

I mean, it's her money and all, but that seems way too high. 21k seems like something I personally would be happy with. I certainly wouldn't impulse buy like that, especially not with a dirt common car like that with every dealer in the world having a million of them.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

bandman posted:

She's originally from Utah and has only been in Atlanta since October. She said she wants to experience some authentically "southern" things. I ended up with tickets to the Sprint Cup race here in Atlanta on March 1, so I'm going to take her to the race for some full-on redneck immersion.

Awesome, get that girl some boiled peanuts!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you haven't watched Justified I'd highly recommend it. Seasons 1-5 are on Amazon prime. They are about 3 episodes in to the 6th(final) season. I love it.
People keep recommending this and I keep forgetting, I'll check it out. Ended up watching Horns, strange movie but I enjoyed it . Not what I expected but for the better.

The weather forecast is now calling for 3-5 inches of snow Monday. If that happens the drat state is going to shut down and I'm going to take out something RWD and play. Wish it was happening Tuesday though, I already have Monday off for Presidents Day.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

opengl128 posted:

You should call them, they're selling those rare Miazda CX-5s!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

TooLShack posted:

Awesome, get that girl some boiled peanuts!

Definitely. She said to me "I don't think I'll be able to blend in very well..." To which I replied "Honey, I've lived here for all 31 years of my life and *I* probably won't be able to blend in."

It's gonna be one hell of a redneck fiesta and I can't wait :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a tent and camp outside of the track, guaranteed redneck encounters will happen.

Also if you think NASCAR is boring, NASCAR at Atlanta is boring personified. Worst track in the southeast by far.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

90% chance of snow tomorrow night, supposed to get a few inches of accumulation. The urge to go parking lot shredding Monday morning is really high :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

You should call them, they're selling those rare Miazda CX-5s!

Haha I didn't even notice this, what a gently caress up

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

Get a tent and camp outside of the track, guaranteed redneck encounters will happen.

Also if you think NASCAR is boring, NASCAR at Atlanta is boring personified. Worst track in the southeast by far.

Boring as in no good action on the track? Last time I was there was 2001, and that was the race Harvick won by like a nanometer. I understand poo poo has changed though.

Honestly, I don't think the on-track action will be nearly as important as the people watching, which is most of why I want to go. She'll be more like Jane Goodall and I'll be fighting my innate redneckness so I don't scare off the pretty girl.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The problem with Atlanta is the track is so fast that the gap between the fast and slow cars is large enough that half the field gets lapped three laps after any restart and the field spreads out over the entire track so it's hard to tell wtf is going on. I've seen a few good finishes, but the races were fall asleep boring up until that point.

If you want to actually be entertained by the racing and have a better experience overall go to Talladega if you get a chance.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm curious to hear what you think about Cats, if they're legit or if they're cheesedicks overpricing cars so they can rip off football players and people cashing in their stock options with no sense like Parkplace LTD.

Also thanks for the congrats everyone :). My heart wants to explode due to an overabundance of joy. It's not unlike ITBs or Side Draft Carbs :haw:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't really enjoy casual hookups but I'm bored and depressed so I just msg'd this girl that looked like a stoner and asked if she wanted to blaze. She replied, "Hell yes!" Will report back if I can get her to drive here in a snow storm.

godspeed good sir

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Replace "watching Heroes" with "playing The Crew" and i'm right there with ya :hfive:

Has anything new happened since release? I played for the first week or two at release and enjoyed it but after I finished the plot and maxed out a couple cars I didn't really see much else to do.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Galler posted:

Has anything new happened since release? I played for the first week or two at release and enjoyed it but after I finished the plot and maxed out a couple cars I didn't really see much else to do.

They've been steadily adding new specs, paintjobs, and vinyls since release. I've got a graffiti covered Circuit spec Gallardo now, and they've also thrown in some Valentine's Day vinyl stuff in the Seasonal category. It led to me making this ridiculous Circuit spec SRT8 Charger as a result:

Honestly, they're working on putting a lot of new content into the game. That being said, matchmaking is still hit or miss, and I have yet to get into a PvP game because apparently my ISP / router combo and The Crew just don't see eye to eye. It's one of those "If you had fun before, it's still the same game but with new toys" type of deals. Also, lots of new Faction missions, but they're all the sub-10 minute ones. No new hour+ undertakings :(

E: Platinum part RNG is still present and still a total bitchtit in regards to getting Level 50 parts though. Also, AI seems to rubberband less now. It's really easy to absolutely trash the CPU cars.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 15, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm calling my insurance company about an FA5 civic si argh

Overpriced and underpowered is all I've heard about these, from owners and fanboys alike!

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I'm going to put a GenIII LS motor in a Volvo 740 with 365k miles on it sometime this spring and I'm excited.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mafoose posted:

Overpriced and underpowered is all I've heard about these, from owners and fanboys alike!

$10,000+ for FWD 3000lbs./197hp/139ft-lbs. seems silly unless the suspension makes it some wonderfully engineered handling god machine. Contour SVTs pop up here from time to time for $cheap and are 3126lbs./200hp/170ft-lbs. Plus with the Neon SRT-4, RSX Type S, Celica GTS, Sentra SE-R V Spec, Cobalt SS, and Ion Redline there are lots of more affordable FWD choices. Obviously weight/chp/torque is not the only metric to measure a car by it just seems the Civics of the past decade are riding on the coattails of their predecessors without ditching the increased theft risk.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 15, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

opengl128 posted:

Write to said sales manager advising him that his employees are distributing confidential and proprietary emails outside the company, copying Mazda corporate in on your message.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Been wanting to ditch wireless in the house for awhile; it works in most of the house with high gain external adapters, but stepdad's laptop, for example, only pulls 2-5 mbit (we have 50/50) on wireless. I got some cheap TP-Link powerline ethernet adapters for it, which got it up to about 20mbit.

Just dropped $60 at Monoprice for a ton of keystone poo poo and short patch cables. Not going to use a patch panel, just going to cut a double gang sized hole in the ceiling of my bedroom closet for a 12 hole keystone plate (also got a mounting bracket for said plate), find a cheap gigabit switch, and I ordered a bunch of 2 ft patch cables. There's also an outlet in the attic by the stairs that happens to be about 10 ft from my closet ceiling, so I'll also be adding a double gang box for two duplex outlets in the closet for the networking poo poo. I plan to run 2 cat5e cables to each existing coax jack (hence the triple keystone plates), that way I can use the existing holes in the attic for the cabling, and use the existing cutouts in the walls for the wall plates.

Amazon is far cheaper for cat5e wire, if you don't mind going with copper clad aluminum. It's solid core and rated for gigabit speeds, and it's 24 gauge, so gently caress it, it'll work.

Doing this more because I'm sick of paying over $50/month to lease cable boxes and DVR service - I already have two HDHomeRun Prime boxes (each has 3 tuners). Micro Center always has off-lease enterprise PCs for $cheap$, whenever I can't find something suitable at the Goodwill computer store here. The ROI will take about 4 months. the PCs themselves run about $100-130; I bump up the RAM, find a used low profile Geforce 210 (so I can add HDMI), and add a larger HDD (Micro Center has brand new Hitachi 250GB drives for $35).

My only gripe is Windows Media Center refuses to record to network drives, so each PC will need to have its TV recording folder shared out (WMC seems to seamlessly merge those recordings with local ones, at least).

skooma512 posted:

My GF got a Corolla LE for 23k out the door. It was her first time on a Toyota lot :catstare:

I mean, it's her money and all, but that seems way too high. 21k seems like something I personally would be happy with. I certainly wouldn't impulse buy like that, especially not with a dirt common car like that with every dealer in the world having a million of them.

Ouch.

I just checked Toyota's own website. An LE has an MSRP of $19.455, after delivery fees, and the nearest dealer is asking $18k before taxes and fees for nearly all of their LEs (a few are $19.5k, I assume because they're a color that's not beige, silver, or white). And there's only a handful of options you can add to it (all dealer addons). The MSRP on the top of the line S+ is $22k (oddly, Toyota's website states it can be had with a 6 speed manual, as can the base L, but it will only let me select a CVT or 4 speed automatic).

There's usually a cooling off period in most states, she might want to look into that.

She bought one of the most reliable cars currently made, but the two of you should probably look over the invoice and see what fees they tacked on, and possibly consider taking advantage of the cool-off period.

Extra posted:

$10,000+ for FWD 3000lbs./197hp/139ft-lbs. seems silly unless the suspension makes it some wonderfully engineered handling god machine. Contour SVTs pop up here from time to time for $cheap and are 3126lbs./200hp/170ft-lbs. Plus with the Neon SRT-4, RSX Type S, Celica GTS, Sentra SE-R V Spec, Cobalt SS, and Ion Redline there are lots of more affordable FWD choices. Obviously weight/chp/torque is not the only metric to measure a car by it just seems the Civics of the past decade are riding on the coattails of their predecessors without ditching the increased theft risk.

The FA9 only did 197/139? :wtc:

The 1999 Si put down 160 hp, from a 1.6. The FA9 should have a 2.2L K series. That's just sad.

Also, I'd personally avoid the Sentra SE-R - the QR25DE is known to eat rings and score cylinder walls, thanks to having the catalytic converter integrated into the exhaust manifold - the mesh would break up, and it would get sucked into the cylinders. They supposedly had it worked out by 2008 (that engine came out for the 2002 model year, btw).

Several years ago, a former friend was bitching about not having an aux input on her 2008 Civic. I looked up how to add it - it's a dealer add-on that runs about $50 on ebay ($100+ just for the part at the dealer), or about $5 in parts if you DIY. The wiring is already behind the dash on the LX trim (not on the DX, but the DX was basically special order by then), along with a plug that looks like a molex power plug for a 3.5 floppy drive.... you just have to plug in a 3.5mm jack and drill a hole for it. I wound up doing a DIY for her. To get to the wiring, you have to remove the shifter trim - when I did that, springs and a couple of other parts went flying, and the center stack bezel just fell off. Honda's been taking lessons from GM; that car had insane squeaks/rattles with only 40k on it. Never could figure out where all the flying parts were supposed to go, but the only issue I noticed afterwards is you didn't have to put your foot on the brake to get it out of park anymore. My Saturn, of all things, has better fit and finish on the interior.

I made the mistake of opening the hood. I've owned 7 Hondas, including 2 Civics; after looking under the hood, I swore I would never own another Honda.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 15, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pulling the stereo on my Mazda 3 is 2 screws. Adding the aux-in was super easy.

T1g4h posted:

I suddenly want to see an NA Miata made to look like a tiny 944. I really wish this were a thing that existed :v:

My uncle works at Mazda and the FC is based on the 944 design. Note: this is a real post I read once.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Finally got around to watching Project Binky, holy crap how have I not watched this sooner! Also marathoned Roadkill, so a good weekend on YouTube.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

leica posted:

How do you have bad tracks when it's just roundy-roundy the whole time? Aren't they all functionally the same?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Different track lengths, banking angle, shape (some oval, some more like tri oval).
Like it was said, on short tracks there's so much lapping you have no idea where the lead cars are, all cars are in a bunch mixed up. On bigger tracks maybe only the slow cars (or those pitted for repairs) on the tail end get lapped.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 15, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cat Terrist posted:

Kingsman is a bloody good movie. 50 Shades of whatever got booed big time when a trailer came on.

Went with a friend to see this last night, bro date. Went in his S2000 so we vtecd all the way there. He has a real nice exhaust on it and it sounds proper race car when he beats on it.

Anyway yes, Kingsman is loving great and the chav Bond angle made some of the bits seriously funny though the Swedish princess asking if he was going to save the world and her reward offer was missed by virtually everyone in the place.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T1g4h posted:

90% chance of snow tomorrow night, supposed to get a few inches of accumulation. The urge to go parking lot shredding Monday morning is really high :v:

The forecast for tomorrow...

If this happens this area is hosed and the back roads (where I live) won't be clear until it melts off. I have the 320i on slicks and the 928 on very old summer tires, I really want to go play but I know there is no way in hell I would be able to get back up the hill to my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

mafoose posted:

Definitely not the fastest straight line car! But thats ok. I am not really that into turbo cars, and this is one of last NA small displacement-high output Honda motors. Awesome gearbox. The K-series motor is a proven brick shithouse, and people routinely put 200k+ on these cars with nothing but oil changes. When the RSX-S came out I desperately wanted one, and this car pushes almost the same buttons but is available as a sedan.

e: this is my fuckin weather, sigh

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 15, 2015

• Locked thread