Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tenzarin posted:

That looks amazing but I don't recognise it from the movie.
It's Gypsy Danger, you know the lead mech. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The lack of color and angle made it look vastly different to me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Surprised Max Factory is still a thing. They used to make pretty nice vinyl kits but I haven't seen anything notable from them in a good 20 years.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zedd posted:

It's Gypsy Danger, you know the lead mech. :v:

To be fair Gipsy Danger is the least visually adventurous of the lot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

To be fair Gipsy Danger is the least visually adventurous of the lot.
I don't disagree with that. :ussr:CHERNO ALPHA:ussr: is where it's at and :australia:Stroikah Urekah:australia: aint bad either.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That Gipsy Danger figure better come with a boat to clobber kaiju with.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I'll bet you can buy a model boat right now. :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Another view:

Not sure what exactly we're looking at here — it doesn't appear to be printed and mold masters aren't usually the size of the final kit, but it doesn't really look finished either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I don't disagree with that. :ussr:CHERNO ALPHA:ussr: is where it's at and :australia:Stroikah Urekah:australia: aint bad either.

Gipsy Danger was cool, but I'd drop the dosh on a fukkin' 'strayan giant robot, mate! :shepspends:.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Surprised Max Factory is still a thing. They used to make pretty nice vinyl kits but I haven't seen anything notable from them in a good 20 years.

max factory started to produce things that actually make money like anime scale figures and figma.
Since 1995 they have produced almost 1000 items including the big O and scopedog toys

http://myfigurecollection.net/search.php?manufacturer_strict=1&manufacturer_id=7622

You must not have been paying attention very hard.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be clear im addressing "them still being a thing," not notable items since thats entirely subjective.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Figma and other Max Factory products are usually associated with their distributor, Good Smile Company, so I think it's fair to forget they're still around.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpikeMcclane posted:

Figma and other Max Factory products are usually associated with their distributor, Good Smile Company, so I think it's fair to forget they're still around.

all figmas say max factory on the front of the package in a easily visible area with Goodsmile's logo usually not at all. Exceptions being special edition stuff. Its noticeable enough that even the bootlegs have it

To say you dont notice max factory being around means you havent been looking at all

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Pretty easy for this to pass under my radar given what it consists of.

Their kits used to be pretty common at US comics shops until one day they weren't so I don't know what happened there. All I ever saw them do afterwards were these figure kits and I assumed they were slumming.

Dunno what happened to Max Watanabe either, he used to be something of an ubiquitous presence but I haven't seen a new model from him in years.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 15, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

So, Pacific Rim plamo:

I have absolutely no information on this, not even a manufacturer, but apparently it's a thing that is going to (maybe) happen.

Hope it's more poseable than the garbage NECA figures.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Pretty easy for this to pass under my radar given what it consists of.

Their kits used to be pretty common at US comics shops until one day they weren't so I don't know what happened there. All I ever saw them do afterwards were these figure kits and I assumed they were slumming.

Dunno what happened to Max Watanabe either, he used to be something of an ubiquitous presence but I haven't seen a new model from him in years.

Max Factory also made the recent Dougram model kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Droyer posted:

Max Factory also made the recent Dougram model kits.

Well, how the hell did I miss that? Anyone built them?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Are there any major crapshack kits out of these?

MG Wing Ver EW
MG Deathscythe Hell
MG Shenlong
MG Heavyarms
MG Tallgeese
MG Sandrock

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The genoace custom is really good and may have more waist posability than the hg00

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Are there any major crapshack kits out of these?

MG Wing Ver EW
MG Deathscythe Hell
MG Shenlong
MG Heavyarms
MG Tallgeese
MG Sandrock

I can say that Tallgeese, Heavyarms, and D-Hell are really well designed kits and great builds, especially the Tallgeese which is my favorite MG that I have experience with.
Can't speak for the rest of the set however.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Overall the Wing MGs are pretty high quality stuff. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Overall the Wing MGs are pretty high quality stuff. You can't go wrong with any of them.

The MG Wing Zero EW predates the others by several years and it shows.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Midjack posted:

The MG Wing Zero EW predates the others by several years and it shows.

I'm talking about just MG Wing EW. The updated version of Wing Ver Ka. Not Wing Zero. Came out in early 2011 alongside the Deathscythe H, Shenlong and Sandrock.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 15, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm talking about just MG Wing EW. The updated version of Wing Ver Ka. Not Wing Zero. Came out in early 2011 alongside the Deathscythe H, Shenlong and Sandrock.

I said all the Wing MGs, so technically he's right. And he is right, from what I've heard Wing Zero Custom is pretty eh. Deathscythe Hell, Epyon, and the original Operation Meteor Gundams are pretty great though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TARDISman posted:

I said all the Wing MGs, so technically he's right. And he is right, from what I've heard Wing Zero Custom is pretty eh. Deathscythe Hell, Epyon, and the original Operation Meteor Gundams are pretty great though.

Epyon is on the list, but Tallgeese's gotta take priority for Zechs. It's god-drat Tallgeese.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Epyon is on the list, but Tallgeese's gotta take priority for Zechs. It's god-drat Tallgeese.

Oh right, Tallgeese is great too. Buy Tallgeese.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yes I know, and I agree with what you are saying. As TARDISman says below I wanted to explicitly call out the Zero Custom as not being part of that same bunch in case someone drew the inference "well this is a Wing MG, so it must be good like all the rest, right?"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

It is about as "updated" as not at all. It's like most vKas, really neat design but not entirely thought out; as Taurus will no doubt inform you, it is completely incapable of posing with its gun unless you glue it solid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't think I "get" the Tallgeese. Maybe it's because I've not seen Wing, but it seems pretty straight-forward, I don't see the hook of the thing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

It's literally just a repaint. Nothing was actually changed about the model.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't think I "get" the Tallgeese. Maybe it's because I've not seen Wing, but it seems pretty straight-forward, I don't see the hook of the thing.

Sometimes, straightforward is good. The Tallgeese is the prototype for the Leos; a workhorse grunt with clean aesthetics that doesn't gently caress around.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

It has enough verniers on it to kill a man. Also the dober gun is badass as hell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

It's literally just a repaint. Nothing was actually changed about the model.

The ver EW has a different piece to connect to an Action Base, but other than that it's a recolored ver Ka.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If we can get a Coyote Tango Prim plamo I'll be so happy

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well I guess you could use the headcrest as a decent hook.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Hey so I just got the HG Turn A Gundam at a con, and basically it's my first gunpla project. Do you guys have any recommendations on glue or beginner mistakes to avoid? And can anyone who's done the HG Turn A tell me if there's anything specific I should keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
YOu don't need glue unless you break something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bendigeidfran posted:

Hey so I just got the HG Turn A Gundam at a con, and basically it's my first gunpla project. Do you guys have any recommendations on glue or beginner mistakes to avoid? And can anyone who's done the HG Turn A tell me if there's anything specific I should keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

If you don't already have then, get a set of nippers (small set of cutters with a flat edge); this is the single most important tool you can have.
Don't clip out parts until you need them.
Don't force parts unless you've triple checked that it's the correct parts in the correct orientation; they typically go together pretty smoothly.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This link is everything you need to know before starting your first kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Someone really needs to re-cut that into a little stand-alone thing to stick in the thread OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Well that was fun.

I'll snap some pictures with less glare (and with LEDs!) later.