Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Harrower posted:

What's the trick to Tartarian gate SC's/thugs? Summon them out, gift of reason them, then start handing out the phat loot? I'm guessing the real answer is "don't" because it's a huge waste of gems/effort.

I generally use them like so.

Tartarian Monstrum: Not really even worth the GoR. If you must, give them a regen item and amulet of antimagic to just send them out raiding or as hp sponges with your better tarts/armies. A monstrum buffed by other mages to be ethereal, regenerating etc is a very good wall if not a terribly dangerous one.
Tartarian Spirits: brand, shield, amulet of antimagic. Self buff and wade into melee
Tartarian Cyclops (Earth): If I need earth battlemagic support, I'll drag them along to do that. If not, thug them like spirits, possibly with flying boots.
Tartarian Monstra: Usually has lots of low paths. Brand/shield thug unless you get a good forging combo.
Tartarian Cyclops (Air): Rain of stones in a box. These guys are badass and I will kit them all the way out. 2 earth boosters, brand/shield along with whatever resists you need depending on your foes. They can cloud trapeze, drop a rain of stones or two, buff and wade into melee with a little reinvig.
Tartarian Titans: These generally have lots of paths, possibly in a good combination. If I get a high one I will kit it out to do battlemagic with that path. A = Wrathful skies/A ele spammer, E = petrify spammer or battlemagic support, F = firestorm, W = water ele spam, vengeful caster or empower to F1 if he doesn't have it and acid storm, D = death is rad and you can figure out whether you want him home or in the field doing death things, S = High enough and it can be a wish platform, lower and it can still do big S battlefield stuff. B = it's blood. If your blood sucks you can bootstrap blood very quickly with tarts. At the very least you can forge blood poo poo, usually the good stuff with the valuable crosspaths.

Tarts are still extremely powerful and can win you games. I've won 2 and turned a losing game around in 1 with them. They can be mixed and matched with your existing armies or eachother to throw down the most powerful spells in the game while at the same time providing very powerful and annoying to stop raiders. 4 or 5 tarts in a single battle layering down rain of stones, something like firestorm while the thugs ones rush into melee is generally very difficult to counter and does not die quietly to most things.

You wont have them most games though, and the most important thing that you need to Tart spam is GoH, so nations like pan are actually better equipped to pull it off than a death nation if they can scrape up a D7.

Note that it requires more research to pull off than endgame blood while still getting wrecked by it. Don't expect tart spam to stop endgame blood snowballs. It's very difficult to summon and gear them under AC and horrors do piles of armor negating damage which lets them kill them quite often.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh and check to see if the tart has brain damage or not. Most of them start feeble-minded for some reason.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

being unable to die even though they wish for it, tartarians eventually stop thinking

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amuayse posted:

Most of them start feeble-minded for some reason.

Being endlessly tortured for eternity seems like the sort of thing that would cause it :v:

Edit: Beaten by seconds

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I thought that drove them insane.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

I thought that drove them insane.

It shatters their soul actually, which is like being insane but worse.

That said all Tarts have a very high chance of being Feeblemind when they come out which is one of the reasons why Gift of Health is so important; I'm not sure if Healers still work on undead but if they do then having access to Healers would also work.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Harrower posted:

Accidentally just killed Bogus and crew while waging a truly heinous war against Lemuria. My number 1 hot tip for dumpstering Bogus is just throwing a ton of B9 sacreds with archer support at them.

edit- Wtf, it happened twice. Fucker won't stay down.

lol if you don't enslave bog and crew for their commander orders

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Neruz posted:

It shatters their soul actually, which is like being insane but worse.

That said all Tarts have a very high chance of being Feeblemind when they come out which is one of the reasons why Gift of Health is so important; I'm not sure if Healers still work on undead but if they do then having access to Healers would also work.

Mundane Healers don't work, but Gift of Health does. It's actually pretty great if you're playing MA (Best) C'tis or Asphodel.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

lol if you don't enslave bog and crew for their commander orders

This was patched out in 3.9something, aka the Dom4 beta.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Still pretty good to charm if you can. Will get you a whole bunch of paths, items and a few serviceable thugs.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Made a simple mod that increases the amount of gems by all sites except capital sites by 1 and thrones by 2.
https://www.mediafire.com/?tb2unnca2r24nfk

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Still pretty good to charm if you can. Will get you a whole bunch of paths, items and a few serviceable thugs.

Enslaving the pretender chasis dudes who show up on level 3 thrones is also pretty darn fun

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TheresNoThyme posted:

Enslaving the pretender chasis dudes who show up on level 3 thrones is also pretty darn fun

:yum:

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

That exact post is what put me onto it, but sadly the range limit on hellbind heart means it's much easier to do with enslave mind, which only gives you a unit version instead of a commander. Still funny to see them show up to fights, I put one on pretender bodyguard duty

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TheresNoThyme posted:

That exact post is what put me onto it, but sadly the range limit on hellbind heart means it's much easier to do with enslave mind, which only gives you a unit version instead of a commander. Still funny to see them show up to fights, I put one on pretender bodyguard duty

They'll still have their magic paths if you Gift of Reason them. I don't know about their gems though.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

TheDemon posted:

They'll still have their magic paths if you Gift of Reason them. I don't know about their gems though.

They actually only get their default magic paths, not the boosted paths they get for being throne guardians.

...I may have spent far too long figuring out a gimmick strategy to do this reliably. Too bad it takes too much research and time to pull off in a real game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Log082 posted:

They actually only get their default magic paths, not the boosted paths they get for being throne guardians.

...I may have spent far too long figuring out a gimmick strategy to do this reliably. Too bad it takes too much research and time to pull off in a real game.

What's your gimmick strategy?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

How are u posted:

What's your gimmick strategy?

Basically, take EA Arco, research charm, and load Oreiads up with as much penetration boosting gear as you can easily manufacture. The last bit is optional if you don't want to research construction too, but it helps cut down on losses. Send them into throne provinces to seduce in a big wave, with as many as you can get together at once. The goal is to get all of the commanders in one go, so the throne army routes instead of killing your fancy new mage. Seduce will get some of the non-SC commanders, and charm should get the rest in the assassination battle that happens when you fail. Since those are one on one, the oreiads will automatically start in range. This won't work on any throne guardian that summons; those will kill every oreiad you throw at them. I've gotten every other kind successfully in test games, though, usually with only one or two oreiads lost.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Doesn't charming them in an assasination battle kill them? I'm curious what happens, because I contemplated giving my dryads +N boosters and some N gems to cast charm, but was not sure if I would get the commander?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Was fightin LA Jomon, and they kept sending ninja assassins after my mages. The mage would always bust out some random spell spam that trash canned them, but not before getting hit by the poison shuriken nearly every single time and dying from that. When ever I try that the loving thing misses. Was I getting super unlucky or is that just par for the course? Even worse I was C'tis with baseline poison resist and it still killed them every time.

edit- ps thanks for the tartarian info

Harrower fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 15, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

Was fightin LA Jomon, and they kept sending ninja assassins after my mages. The mage would always bust out some random spell spam that trash canned them, but not before getting hit by the poison shuriken nearly every single time and dying from that. When ever I try that the loving thing misses. Was I getting super unlucky or is that just par for the course? Even worse I was C'tis with baseline poison resist and it still killed them every time.

edit- ps thanks for the tartarian info

Coming from the opposite position, I'm alway annoyed with my non-shuriken assassins when that happens, so I tend to turn my assassins into living bombs. They then only have to get close enough to the mage to get them in range for the detonation, which seriously cuts down on his chances to stop him with magic.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Anyone got tips for MA Bandar? They look cool but I cannot figure them out for the life of me.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Get a bless for the Tiger Riders and White Ones to expand, then use it on your giant pile of national summons. You need W/E to open up the nagas, and B/A or B/D to open up the demons, everything else you can get from the cap-only mages.

You don't have very good diversity, but large amounts of Stellar Cascades can make up for a lot.

Of course, as an asian nation, they have crap pretender options.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 16, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

amuayse posted:

Anyone got tips for MA Bandar? They look cool but I cannot figure them out for the life of me.

I like taking order because tiger riders are great, but expensive. Every mage they can make has at least some S, so you can do some cool communion poo poo with them. They have a lot of special summons that are pretty boss, especially when combined with Celestial Music (a special spell they have that quickens all of your sacred summons). Apsaras and Gandharvas are brutal with a good bless. The StR mages often come out at S4 so you can do some mind hunting with them. Also since the recruit anywhere S1 mages are cheap as gently caress, it's trivial to get Light of The Northern Star up and spam the ever loving poo poo out of Stellar Cascades or Solar Rays. You're most likely not going to using a lot of the armored troops so poo poo like Iron Bane with a lot of the tiny cheap archer monkeys or the slightly bigger short bow monkeys can be cool.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Go production 3 and try gorilla warfare. The helmless bandar warriors have sticks and stone, which they throw with gorilla strength. Add strength of giants and you have pretty heavy hitting sticks and stones.

Bandar is a tough nut to crack, but I think heavy stellar cascade spam is the most sensible course of action.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Dont forget giant monkey communions with your cheap as balls recruit anywhere sacred S1's.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
I am far too scared to join multiplayer but an N9 bless on sacred s1 monkeys makes them everlasting communion batteries.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

NotDeadYet posted:

I am far too scared to join multiplayer but an N9 bless on sacred s1 monkeys makes them everlasting communion batteries.

Join a newbie game. They're there for you to try and miserably crash and burn. However, heavy stellar cascades spam will WRECK a lot of armies, so it's a solid strategy. A bigger problem might be how to get there without getting rekt by some blessrush shitlord, but in a newbie game you run less of a risk of that happening. Experience is the best teacher I'd say.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What magic do I shoot for first as Bandar?

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I think evocations 5 + thaum 1 if you want to go full stellar cascades spam. (Paralyze/soul slay if dealing with giants)

Otherwise gun for Conj-4 to unlock the Yaksha/Yakshini (E3 and W3 magi, good stuff!) , and then into schools which offer good earth stuff. Earthquake/Blade Wind/ Destruction/ Earth Meld/ Maws of Earth. Until you get the Yaksha up, you can summon Tigers/Elephants. If you are pressed to summon these guys, they should make a difference. They have low MR, but I doubt anyone will be casting MR-negates spells in the earlygame. Tigers actually have pretty decent stats and morale, Elephants will trample even giants.

Alternatively build your pretender with F4 and go for Enchantment-4 Flaming Arrows. You have very cheap atavi/markata archers, with flaming arrows they can be quite deadly. Your Light bandar infantry also has sticks and stones, so when set to Fire orders they will throw flaming poop.

Until you get some Yaksha/Yakshini there is not really much in the early magic department for Bandar. I think that if someone tries to rush you I hope you have a decent bless (tiger riders are insane, they have like 3 attacks) or try to get some conjurations up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Anyone with any Blood, Death, or Nature will own own own your elephants with Agony/Frighten/Panic so uh steady with that.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
I am playing a noob game and I just seem to have run out of steam as MA Ermor. I realize that's cosmic justice for picking such a dick nation, but I felt I had to experience it once.
Its like turn 40, and I am not sure what to do. I cast BoT, have tried to spread my dominion, but I have no gold income, enemies on all sides pissed at me. Is this pretty typical? What are some endgame strats I should try?

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I still believe elephants are usable, it also forces them to counter them, buying you time to do some more research. I think it's a viable choice as far as early research goes, you should transition to other things later on (Stellar Cascade spam/Earth magic).

Chairman Pow! posted:

I am playing a noob game and I just seem to have run out of steam as MA Ermor. I realize that's cosmic justice for picking such a dick nation, but I felt I had to experience it once.
Its like turn 40, and I am not sure what to do. I cast BoT, have tried to spread my dominion, but I have no gold income, enemies on all sides pissed at me. Is this pretty typical? What are some endgame strats I should try?

Cast Utterdark?

EDIT: Try liches. Look at soul vortex+invulnerability. It's a cool combo. Try to flood the world in skeletons.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 16, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chairman Pow! posted:

I have no gold income, enemies on all sides pissed at me. Is this pretty typical?

From what little I know, mostly by reading this thread, yes.

Happy to help. :tipshat:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Chairman Pow! posted:

Sounds about right. If you took water and air in your paths, you can throw foul air, Vengeful Waters and dark skies for the ultimate "gently caress everyone" combo. Alternatively, you should have some sweet battlefield fuckery spells by now. I hear wailing ladies are good too.

But, failing all that, make more skeletons. Don't forget, skeletons give zero shits about morale, so you can vastly overshoot squad limits with them and other things that would make the living cringe. Undead leadership is your only limit, and you have lots of it.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Any thoughts on doing well with MA machaka? At first glance they look like a skelespam + magma nation with sacreds that are really mediocre for their price tag. Pygmy archers for 6 morale fire arrow spam could be a thing I guess....

Their paths seem especially bad compared to the EA spread, which had awesome boudas that could save you from wasting money on N3 mages and stick with nice F/E/D paths.

edit: Thinking it over some more I'm thinking evo really is their deal, alternating between banefire and magma depending on randoms.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I only tried them once but found them to be especially boring. Flaming arrows, sneaking bouda using Horde of Skelingtons, and magma. I think you have it figured out. Even the Bird Clan archers aren't bad for what you pay though, outside of the pygmy.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Decrepus posted:

I only tried them once but found them to be especially boring. Flaming arrows, sneaking bouda using Horde of Skelingtons, and magma. I think you have it figured out. Even the Bird Clan archers aren't bad for what you pay though, outside of the pygmy.

You're thinking of EA machaka, but I was just comparing them to MA in my post. Sadly, I would kill for some of EA machaka's options in their MA version.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

You're thinking of EA machaka, but I was just comparing them to MA in my post. Sadly, I would kill for some of EA machaka's options in their MA version.

You can do a bless strat (don't do this it's a trap). Hunter spiders have 5MR while the black hunters themselves have 11. They are still useful with no bless at all if you are going up against an elephant nation as a hunter spider kind of owns elephants.

Do fun things with spiders and kill poo poo with fire arrows, skeletons, banefire and also regular fire. Also note that if the rider dies and the spider lives you keep the spider who remains with you maintenance free. Web plus death poison (35 points) is pretty good on them and you can easily manipulate the riders to die horrible deaths if you so desire. Spiders have 15 poison resist while the riders have none. You have nature magic. You can probably figure out the rest!

They are a decently fun nation imo. I just wish those spider assassin guys were recruit anywhere because they are cool.

EDIT: Be sure to spam rage of the cornered rat and strength of giants at your spiders. They aren't brave and their poison requires that the bite does damage to actually take effect.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Should I recruit Milesian or Fir Bolg infantry for arrow catchers as Eriu?

• Locked thread