Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

It would be a garbage rule for idiots

The fact that they have to pretend to be college students for a year is already stupid. Just let the kids make money out of high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
I know this thread isn't big on baseball, but since it is the offseason right now, I just want to brag on these awesome throwback Unis that we are wearing for the afternoon game today

We get cool baseball stuff because we are apparently Adidas' number one baseball school.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
happy valentine's day, TFF

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frinkahedron posted:

:unsmith:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Frinkahedron posted:

Hahahhahah. That's great

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Frinkahedron posted:

This is a beautiful oasis in the wasteland that is the off-season

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Early 5Dimes lines:

Alabama (-13) vs. Wisconsin in Arlington
Auburn (-10) at Louisville
South Carolina (-7) vs. North Carolina in Charlotte
Michigan at Utah (-3)
Ohio State (-17) at Virginia Tech
Virginia at UCLA (-16)
Texas A&M (-4) vs. Arizona State in Houston
Texas at Notre Dame (-10.5)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Early 5Dimes lines:

Texas at Notre Dame (-10.5)

Texas is going to win this, get everyone excited, and go 8-4.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Guys, there's still college football going on in India!

https://twitter.com/EFLIFootball

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

Texas is going to win this, get everyone excited, and go 8-4.
I'd take that, I'll take Bama minus anything in those neutral-site openers as long as Saban lives, I'd expect Auburn to win but like Louisville with the points, and I wouldn't dream of touching any of those others.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I'd take that, I'll take Bama minus anything in those neutral-site openers as long as Saban lives, I'd expect Auburn to win but like Louisville with the points, and I wouldn't dream of touching any of those others.

I'd have to think auburn has a good chance to cover with Grantham and Co. handling the D.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Louisville is replacing a ton, especially on O. I'd be shocked if they did much offensively next year, least of all week 1 against a good Auburn squad.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pakled posted:

Guys, there's still college football going on in India!

https://twitter.com/EFLIFootball

Their website hasn't been updated since 2013. I can't even find any news reports about it on Google since last summer. I don't think there is actually anything going on with them.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
if Virginia Tech wins again Frank Beamer will be a legend forever and it'll all be completely justified

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Raku posted:

if Virginia Tech wins again Frank Beamer will be a legend forever and it'll all be completely justified

Frank Beamer has literally never done anything even approaching that level of consistency against elite opponents so I'm pretty sure nobody needs to worry about tossing that word around regarding him. Everyone seems to stumble into beating a top 10 team once a decade or so.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Raku posted:

tear down the goal posts first game of the year, rush all fields, go hog wild

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just you watch, for as long as Frank Beamer lives, VT will win one impossible upset per year and finish every season with 6-7 wins.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Frank Beamer's career of impossible upsets:

1995 - #6 Texas
2003 - #2 Miami
2014 - #8 OSU

Oh what a magical 30 years. Legendary, some might say.

e: Texas was a loving 2 point favorite, not altogether that shocking of a win in that aspect, it's more a holdover from being the first big bowl VT ever won.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 15, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Just you watch, for as long as Frank Beamer lives, VT will win one impossible upset per year and finish every season with 6-7 wins.

If Frank Beamer was the head coach of every team every college in the NCAA would have bowl eligibility, an incredible win, a few gutwrenching losses, and a midranked recruiting class every year.

Frank Beamer is a symbol for what an amazing experience college football with parity would be (although gently caress that ever happening I'm an Alabama fan).

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

Louisville is replacing a ton, especially on O. I'd be shocked if they did much offensively next year, least of all week 1 against a good Auburn squad.

They'll still beat Houston by about 50 in Week 2.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

Raku posted:

If Frank Beamer was the head coach of every team every college in the NCAA would have bowl eligibility, an incredible win, a few gutwrenching losses, and a midranked recruiting class every year.

Frank Beamer is a symbol for what an amazing experience college football with parity would be (although gently caress that ever happening I'm an Alabama fan).

I honest to god don't know where the idea that Frank Beamer is good for a miracle win every year or two comes from, it's baffling. The man is likely the worst Hall of Fame-level coach against the top 5/10 in the history of the sport. He's like the patron saint of bed making GBS threads.

Stop this nonsense about unbelievable upsets or other such crap.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

I honest to god don't know where the idea that Frank Beamer is good for a miracle win every year or two comes from, it's baffling. The man is likely the worst Hall of Fame-level coach against the top 5/10 in the history of the sport. He's like the patron saint of bed making GBS threads.

Stop this nonsense about unbelievable upsets or other such crap.

Oh, I wasn't under the impression he pulled impossible upsets a lot, I was just teasing based on how this season went and how if he hadn't beaten Ohio State or if he'd just lost one more game in the regular season you guys would probably have a better coach next season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

The man is likely the worst Hall of Fame-level coach against the top 5/10 in the history of the sport. He's like the patron saint of bed making GBS threads.

Out of curiosity is there an easy way to look this up for coaches? I don't doubt you all that much but I'd like to compare it to other guys.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Grittybeard posted:

Out of curiosity is there an easy way to look this up for coaches? I don't doubt you all that much but I'd like to compare it to other guys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_College_Football_Hall_of_Fame_inductees_%28coaches%29

This may be what you're looking for.

EDIT: Oh, I misread your question, carry on.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 15, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Not unless your coach is so spectacularly bad at playing said teams that it becomes a stat repeated essentially anytime they play. Frank was at one point 1-26 all-time against the top 5 and that was years ago so I imagine he probably has a healthy 3% winning percentage now. He has a handful more top 10 wins but not many.

Amazingly enough, he has quite a few more top 5 wins if you look at end of season rankings and not game time ones but that's not how these things are done so 1-for-whatever is what he gets.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was actually asking about record vs the top whatever, but that proves Beamer is automatically above a bunch of guys in wins vs the top 10 because there are so many who never even got a chance to play anyone on that level.

Something that would let me put together a list like this without wasting my entire life looking up what everyone's ranks were at any certain point:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crotch Bat posted:

Bobby Patrino is a wizard with offenses. Chances are he will just plug in guys and go like he usually does. Also, Auburns defense was terrible. Yes, Muschamp is there but this will be their first game under him, so they might only give the O three free first downs due to dumb penalties instead of five.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I was actually asking about record vs the top whatever, but that proves Beamer is automatically above a bunch of guys in wins vs the top 10 because there are so many who never even got a chance to play anyone on that level.

Something that would let me put together a list like this without wasting my entire life looking up what everyone's ranks were at any certain point:

That's why I said of coaches who are Hall of Fame level. The level of coaches you would expect not to suck complete rear end against top ranked opponents. It's probably one of the worst stats in the sport as far as coaches go, especially amongst peers of his supposed coaching level.

If there's a source on records vs the top 5 I'm unaware, like I said the stat was produced probably a decade ago at this point by some nerd at ESPN and it's engrained in the head of any VT fan who doesn't choose to ignore its existence because you'd read it or hear it repeated on TV constantly.

You will see this stat on TV or in the papers when VT plays OSU in the opener, you can count on it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

swickles posted:

Bobby Patrino is a wizard with offenses. Chances are he will just plug in guys and go like he usually does. Also, Auburns defense was terrible. Yes, Muschamp is there but this will be their first game under him, so they might only give the O three free first downs due to dumb penalties instead of five.

Wizard or not, you need talent to survive. Even Bud Foster can't always plug and play. Louisville lost a ton from an offense that wasn't particularly good last year, I can't envision them blasting out of the gate much less against one of the better teams on their schedule.

Petrino's more man than myth. He's not going to do anything but sit behind FSU and Clemson in that division and I see nothing right now that suggests otherwise.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Crotch Bat posted:

Wizard or not, you need talent to survive. Even Bud Foster can't always plug and play. Louisville lost a ton from an offense that wasn't particularly good last year, I can't envision them blasting out of the gate much less against one of the better teams on their schedule.

Petrino's more man than myth. He's not going to do anything but sit behind FSU and Clemson in that division and I see nothing right now that suggests otherwise.

His AWESOME COOL ROLL-OUT-THEN-THROW-AGAINST-THE-GRAIN to a leaking RB or TE got figured out by the conference really really quickly and became more of a nuisance than a back-breakingly great, well-time play call. One could argue that he was handcuffed by how limiting his QB was, either by injury or just not being all that good to begin with, but yeah, he's got a rebuilding job after Louisville got 11 departing players invited to the combine. He's not exactly in a great place right now

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crotch Bat posted:

On the other hand this will be the second year in his system, last year they were transferring to a new offense. I don't think the drop off in recruiting between Strong and Petrino (on offense at least) was significant. I doubt any team blasts out the gate the first game of the season unless they are playing a div 2 or lovely FCS team. Also, I think you are over valuing FSU.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

More proof that Bill Snyder is a football wizard.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

swickles posted:

On the other hand this will be the second year in his system, last year they were transferring to a new offense. I don't think the drop off in recruiting between Strong and Petrino (on offense at least) was significant. I doubt any team blasts out the gate the first game of the season unless they are playing a div 2 or lovely FCS team. Also, I think you are over valuing FSU.

This year? Perhaps. But even 3 steps back FSU is a better program than Louisville and you can't underestimate the amount of talent Louisville is losing that it can't replace as easily as FSU. Clemson likely reigns this year but I'd be more worried about NCSU making a run at the title game than Louisville.

I just don't buy Petrino. I think SEC fans have a different opinion but I never bought what he did at Louisville the first time(who didn't do well in the Big East back then once VT, BC, and Miami left?) and his run at Arkansas was nice but he lucked into the situation with Mallett and then vanished like a thief in the night when that all ended. The guy can't sit down for more than a couple years at a time so I just don't buy him as a long-term threat in the conference. Not to mention Louisville isn't exactly a destination college for top-end talent and he doesn't have the SEC to sell. How long before the well runs dry and he heads off to kickstart another program for a couple years?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Crotch Bat posted:

This year? Perhaps. But even 3 steps back FSU is a better program than Louisville and you can't underestimate the amount of talent Louisville is losing that it can't replace as easily as FSU. Clemson likely reigns this year but I'd be more worried about NCSU making a run at the title game than Louisville.

I just don't buy Petrino. I think SEC fans have a different opinion but I never bought what he did at Louisville the first time(who didn't do well in the Big East back then once VT, BC, and Miami left?) and his run at Arkansas was nice but he lucked into the situation with Mallett and then vanished like a thief in the night when that all ended. The guy can't sit down for more than a couple years at a time so I just don't buy him as a long-term threat in the conference. Not to mention Louisville isn't exactly a destination college for top-end talent and he doesn't have the SEC to sell. How long before the well runs dry and he heads off to kickstart another program for a couple years?

I think that recruiting will be the problem for him as it tends to have been in the past. He still has three years of Strong's players even if the best and most experienced have now graduated. He will get a good QB and he will get good receivers and he will eventually be a deep ball threat and will have success but will likely suck on defense and his QBs will get a ton of hits/sacks. He's a good coach and you can see how Tyler Wilson regressed after he left and know that he can develop QB talent quite well or at least make someone look good.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Crotch Bat posted:

Bobby P left Louisville and Atlanta like a thief in the night, but he didn't leave Arkansas because Mallet left, he got fired for putting his mistress on the AD payroll.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

tactlessbastard posted:

Bobby P left Louisville and Atlanta like a thief in the night, but he didn't leave Arkansas because Mallet left, he got fired for putting his mistress on the AD payroll.

Then lying about it to cops and only telling the AD part of the story. He also passed over more qualified and diverse candidates for that extremely competitive position, which was highly competitive. And his sidepiece was engaged to another member of the athletics department.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Stunt Rock posted:

Then lying about it to cops and only telling the AD part of the story. He also passed over more qualified and diverse candidates for that extremely competitive position, which was highly competitive. And his sidepiece was engaged to another member of the athletics department.

Didn't he only wreck the motorcycle because he was texting his wife while driving his mistress around?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
You wouldn't say that about Petrino if you had to deal with him yearly like Big East or SEC fans did. He's not Saban or Meyer, but he's really good.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Are we seriously saying Bobby Petrino isn't a pretty good coach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

swickles posted:

Also, I think you are over valuing FSU.

Are you talking about just this year or for future years as well? If it's the latter I'm curious as to why you think that.

• Locked thread